Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.

TrollandToad.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old December 8th, 2014 (11:53 AM).
~Ruki!'s Avatar
~Ruki! ~Ruki! is offline
100tifiko
     
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Location: Guatemala City
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Brave
    Posts: 261
    Hi to all! this my first tutorial in this forum, this tutorial is already exist, to be accurate was written by SteveN/Dante, but her tutorial is a bit inaccurate and thr images are broken, is because I decide write a new tutorial about this, using her method, but in a better version and more detailed, ok let's go!

    ===============
    Required Tools
    ===============
    • VisualBoy Advance
    • Unlzgba or NLZgba
    • Paint (I suggest use Paint of Windows XP, but any version is valid)
    • APE
    • Character Maker Pro/IrfanView, GIMP or any program to index bitmaps
    • Adobe Photoshop (Any version is valid)

    Ok, with the requiered tools, It's time to start!

    =========
    Step 1
    =========

    First to all we need pick a boy sprite to use in the intro, the intro sprites size allow a maxium of 64x96 pixels, we can use a DS sprite without resize, but Is necessary index the image to 16-colors bitmap, I choose for the tutorial this sprite, credits to Aero for the sprite:
    Spoiler:


    Now with Character Maker Pro, or irfanview, or your favorite program you need index the sprite to 16 colors, to be honest is not necessary use a background color, I'll explain why later.
    Spoiler:


    Now is time to export the pallete, In Character Maker Pro only Hit Pallete>Export palletes, and save your pallete in .act format.
    Spoiler:


    =========
    Step 2
    =========

    Now I need write to the ROM the new palletes for our future sprite, for this action we need open our ROM with hackmew's tool APE, and go to the desired offset of the sprite to change, the offsets are:

    Code:
    Boy Pallete: 0046161C
    Girl Pallete: 00460EF0
    Rival Pallete: 004623B0
    Prof. Oak Pallete: 00461CF6
    In APE import the desired pallete, in my case the boy palletes.
    Spoiler:

    now we import the previously saved pallete and save the new pallete.

    ========
    Step 3
    ========
    Now is time to make the exportations, opem your ROM with VBA and start a new game, in the intro when you came to the boy sprite you can see the boy sprite with a strange colors, is because you're watching the new palletes.
    Spoiler:


    Now without skipping the sprite screen in VBA go to Tools>Pallete Viewer, and a window with the current used palletes appear, in the bottom of the window hit "Save BG" and save as "BG.act"
    Spoiler:


    ========
    Step 4
    ========
    Now we need make the final sprite to be inserted, now open yor ROM with Unlzgba and mark the option "256 color mode" and activate the option "use Black/White", now go to the desired index, the intro sprites are placed around the numbers 330-350 (The boy sprite usually is placed in the 341 number, but in my case is placed in 335), you can identify the sprites easy because you can see their respective silouettes, when you found your desired sprite hit "save as" and save the image in .png format.
    Spoiler:


    Now is time to use photoshop, open the exported image, you can only see the silouette, if you like see the colors need import the full palletes, now go to the photohop toolbar and hit Image>Mode>Color table, and a window with the current palletes is opened, now hit in "load" and find the file "bg.act".when you select the pallete you can see now a full colored sprite, but with the strange colors, hit in "Ok" and save your image.

    Spoiler:


    Now I can put our new sprite, I recommend use for this operation Mspaint of Windows XP because Mspaint of Windows 7/8 not works good with indexed bitmaps, when you're completed our new sprite you are ready to insert in your ROM
    Spoiler:


    Now we need return to unlzgba, go to the sprite to change and uncheck the option "Black/white mode" and is time to import our new sprite, if the new sprite not use all the 64x96 pixels is probably that not necessary make a repoint (I don't explain how to find free space and repoint)
    Spoiler:


    If you follow properly every step of the tutorial the final result would be ok:


    If you follow all the steps and not obtain the desired result try again,remember make a lot of backups if you not are sure if you can doing this.

    Credits to:
    SteveN/Dante; Original creator of this method, I only make a more easy way to change the sprites and explain some things better, found the correct Oak pallete, (And put a lot of images)
    __________________
    [center]
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old December 16th, 2014 (12:31 PM).
    Teh Blazer's Avatar
    Teh Blazer Teh Blazer is offline
    Divider of Zero
       
      Join Date: Feb 2009
      Location: 'MERICA
      Age: 22
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 772
      I think your Oak palette might be wrong, I used 00461CE8 for my Oak palette in fire red and it worked. Other than that, great tutorial!
      __________________
      Being a hero is overrated anyways
      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old December 16th, 2014 (3:23 PM).
      CJBlazer's Avatar
      CJBlazer CJBlazer is offline
      Rogon, the Ninja Pokemon
         
        Join Date: Nov 2011
        Location: Underworld
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Serious
        Posts: 74
        This is the best tutorial I've seen so far. I just wish I had Photoshop availible. Is there any alternative that lets you import a color table? Gimp doesn't seem to do that.
        __________________


        From left to right, Rogetta, Rogon, Rogastar.
        Reply With Quote
          #4    
        Old December 17th, 2014 (6:19 AM).
        ~Ruki!'s Avatar
        ~Ruki! ~Ruki! is offline
        100tifiko
           
          Join Date: Feb 2014
          Location: Guatemala City
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Brave
          Posts: 261
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post
          I think your Oak palette might be wrong, I used 00461CE8 for my Oak palette in fire red and it worked. Other than that, great tutorial!
          Remember, the intro sprites are a 256 colors graphics, you're inserting a 16 colors sprite, obviously you can use any slot of the 256 colours of the BG palletes, the problem of use any slot is the risk of overlap the colours of other things, in the tutorial I use the same offset of the intro Oak sprite, using these pallete I'm sure to not overlap other palletesn
          __________________
          [center]
          Reply With Quote
            #5    
          Old December 23rd, 2014 (7:03 PM).
          Teh Blazer's Avatar
          Teh Blazer Teh Blazer is offline
          Divider of Zero
             
            Join Date: Feb 2009
            Location: 'MERICA
            Age: 22
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Relaxed
            Posts: 772
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by ~G0LD! View Post
            Remember, the intro sprites are a 256 colors graphics, you're inserting a 16 colors sprite, obviously you can use any slot of the 256 colours of the BG palletes, the problem of use any slot is the risk of overlap the colours of other things, in the tutorial I use the same offset of the intro Oak sprite, using these pallete I'm sure to not overlap other palletesn
            Are the 256 colors for the intro sprites also the same colors used for the title screen?
            __________________
            Being a hero is overrated anyways
            Reply With Quote
              #6    
            Old December 25th, 2014 (7:23 AM).
            ~Ruki!'s Avatar
            ~Ruki! ~Ruki! is offline
            100tifiko
               
              Join Date: Feb 2014
              Location: Guatemala City
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Brave
              Posts: 261
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post
              Are the 256 colors for the intro sprites also the same colors used for the title screen?
              Nope, all palletes are fully different, but are used to other things or the intro (for example the slot 0 are usee to the intro BG)
              __________________
              [center]
              Reply With Quote
                #7    
              Old January 2nd, 2015 (7:15 PM).
              HijiYamari HijiYamari is offline
                 
                Join Date: Jan 2009
                Posts: 4
                This is an excellent tutorial, and I've been looking into how to do this for about a week.

                But no matter how closely I follow the tutorial, I can't get it right.

                I have no idea exactly what goes wrong, but I've tried 5 times, with a fresh Rom each time.

                I MUST be missing a step somewhere.
                Reply With Quote
                  #8    
                Old January 2nd, 2015 (7:22 PM).
                DarkenedEclipse's Avatar
                DarkenedEclipse DarkenedEclipse is offline
                Project Oak
                   
                  Join Date: Jun 2014
                  Location: Sinnoh
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Bold
                  Posts: 210
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by HijiYamari View Post
                  This is an excellent tutorial, and I've been looking into how to do this for about a week.

                  But no matter how closely I follow the tutorial, I can't get it right.

                  I have no idea exactly what goes wrong, but I've tried 5 times, with a fresh Rom each time.

                  I MUST be missing a step somewhere.
                  Do you mind elaborating on the error you're having? We can't help unless you tell us what is wrong. Nice tutorial ~GOLD. I'm sure it'll help people in the future.
                  ~Eclipse
                  __________________
                  Reply With Quote
                    #9    
                  Old January 2nd, 2015 (7:31 PM).
                  HijiYamari HijiYamari is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Jan 2009
                    Posts: 4
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by DarkenedEclipse View Post
                    Do you mind elaborating on the error you're having? We can't help unless you tell us what is wrong. Nice tutorial ~GOLD. I'm sure it'll help people in the future.
                    ~Eclipse
                    I plum forgot.

                    I went to post an image link but I don't have a high enough post count, and forgot to specify afterwards.

                    The end result is my sprite with a messed up palette.

                    Pretty simple, but still aggravating.
                    Reply With Quote
                      #10    
                    Old January 2nd, 2015 (8:39 PM).
                    DarkenedEclipse's Avatar
                    DarkenedEclipse DarkenedEclipse is offline
                    Project Oak
                       
                      Join Date: Jun 2014
                      Location: Sinnoh
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Bold
                      Posts: 210
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by HijiYamari View Post
                      I plum forgot.

                      I went to post an image link but I don't have a high enough post count, and forgot to specify afterwards.

                      The end result is my sprite with a messed up palette.

                      Pretty simple, but still aggravating.
                      Reread the part of the tutorial with the .act color table. Obviously you must've messed up the palette insertion... Or even the sprite insertion.
                      ~Eclipse
                      __________________
                      Reply With Quote
                        #11    
                      Old January 2nd, 2015 (8:55 PM). Edited January 2nd, 2015 by HijiYamari.
                      HijiYamari HijiYamari is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Jan 2009
                        Posts: 4
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by DarkenedEclipse View Post
                        Reread the part of the tutorial with the .act color table. Obviously you must've messed up the palette insertion... Or even the sprite insertion.
                        ~Eclipse
                        I followed literally everything he typed/translated.

                        The one thing I'm curious about is adding the ACT to the Red sprite in Photoshop.

                        What exactly do you do with that picture afterwards?

                        ----------------------------------------------------------

                        Edit: I thought it might have been saving my sprite in Paint as a PNG, because when I'd try to open it in Character Maker, it gave me the error:

                        "File "trainer-iondexed.png," is not effective..."

                        But when I saved the image in Photoshop, Character Maker opened it up no problem.

                        Unfortunately, that didn't help.

                        I re-did the tutorial again, made sure to pay attention to the ACT and insertion sections, but it still didn't work.
                        Reply With Quote
                          #12    
                        Old January 3rd, 2015 (6:39 AM).
                        DarkenedEclipse's Avatar
                        DarkenedEclipse DarkenedEclipse is offline
                        Project Oak
                           
                          Join Date: Jun 2014
                          Location: Sinnoh
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Bold
                          Posts: 210
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by HijiYamari View Post
                          I followed literally everything he typed/translated.

                          The one thing I'm curious about is adding the ACT to the Red sprite in Photoshop.

                          What exactly do you do with that picture afterwards?

                          ----------------------------------------------------------

                          Edit: I thought it might have been saving my sprite in Paint as a PNG, because when I'd try to open it in Character Maker, it gave me the error:

                          "File "trainer-iondexed.png," is not effective..."

                          But when I saved the image in Photoshop, Character Maker opened it up no problem.

                          Unfortunately, that didn't help.

                          I re-did the tutorial again, made sure to pay attention to the ACT and insertion sections, but it still didn't work.
                          Oy vey.... What sprite are you using? Is the sprite part in 16 colors?
                          ~Eclipse
                          __________________
                          Reply With Quote
                            #13    
                          Old January 3rd, 2015 (9:23 AM). Edited January 3rd, 2015 by HijiYamari.
                          HijiYamari HijiYamari is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Jan 2009
                            Posts: 4
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by DarkenedEclipse View Post
                            Oy vey.... What sprite are you using? Is the sprite part in 16 colors?
                            ~Eclipse
                            Do you mean is the sprite I have only using 16 colors?

                            Then No.

                            Edit: I stand corrected.

                            For some reason, when I checked the sprite -G0LD used last night, there were more than 16 colors...

                            I just checked it again and Character Maker's showing 16 colors now.

                            I'll have to re-do my sprite while keeping it at 16 colors then.

                            Thanks for leading me to find that out, Eclipse.

                            I'll re-do the sprite and try the tutorial again.

                            ------------------------------------------------

                            Edit: Nope, still didn't work.

                            Something I've noticed though;

                            My sprite is using the background colors from that particular scene and a random Fuchsia color, probably a placeholder.
                            Reply With Quote
                              #14    
                            Old January 9th, 2015 (9:31 AM).
                            colonelsalt's Avatar
                            colonelsalt colonelsalt is online now
                            recovering lurker
                               
                              Join Date: Oct 2012
                              Location: London
                              Age: 19
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Jolly
                              Posts: 82
                              Thanks for a highly informative tutorial. I've followed the instructions to a tee, but for whatever reason, when I open and subsequently export the palette for the player character in VBA, the background color (that is, the first color in the palette) is listed as being black, whereas in your example it appears to be blue. This small error prevents me from inserting my new sprite (which has black as one of its colors), and I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to fix this.
                              __________________
                              Reply With Quote
                                #15    
                              Old March 29th, 2015 (7:22 PM).
                              MrElephant's Avatar
                              MrElephant MrElephant is offline
                              Pokemon Researcher
                                 
                                Join Date: Oct 2011
                                Location: United States
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Serious
                                Posts: 77
                                Yeah the palette for prof. oak is not working for me using this tutorial. In the past I have followed Steven's and Zels, but without the pictures, they arent as helpful. Is anyone else having problems with prof. oak?

                                Edit: I just noticed that my post followed the last post by 3 months. Sorry for the inconvenience.
                                __________________
                                Trying to find time to mod

                                Lets see I like modding

                                Dragon Warrior, Lego Racers, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Mario Racing, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and Banjo.
                                Reply With Quote
                                Reply

                                Quick Reply

                                Join the conversation!

                                Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                Sponsored Links
                                Thread Tools

                                Posting Rules
                                You may not post new threads
                                You may not post replies
                                You may not post attachments
                                You may not edit your posts

                                BB code is On
                                Smilies are On
                                [IMG] code is On
                                HTML code is Off

                                Forum Jump


                                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:12 AM.