• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo WiFi Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years

Nintendo Wifi FAQ

Read ALL points before asking for help - which is done in THIS THREAD.

How do I connect my DS/Wii to the internet?

The simplest way is to follow this step-by-step guide from Nintendo. If you hit a snag, read through the points below. It is recommended that you read these points before asking for help.

You will need to access the Nintendo Wifi Connection Setup menu, as instructed. In the Pokemon games, this is found in the main menu (Continue/New Game) and is listed as Nintendo WFC Settings.

Otherwise, it is usually in a game's main menu or multiplayer menu.

Are there any special requirements?

If you have a wireless network (wifi) in your house, then you can connect both a DS and Wii through that, but certain game systems only support certain password types. These passwords are known as encryption types and come in two main varieties – WEP and WPA. Keep in mind that Ad-Hoc, or computer-hosted networks are not compatible with the DS. This means there are NO WORKAROUNDS, such as connectify. You MUST have a wireless router OR Nintendo USB Wifi Connector, which is explained here.

Here are the password types for each system:
DS/DS lite – No password or WEP
Anything with a normal DS game cartridge - No password or WEP
DSi/DSiXL/Wii – No password, WEP and WPA/WPA2

Remember: A normal DS game in a DSi are still treated as a normal DS.

I keep getting a "Security mode not supported" message. What's wrong?

As mentioned before, the DS and its games do no support WPA and this message means that you are using WPA. You will not be able to connect with a WPA password, however.

Can I hack the DS to work with WPA?

No. Both the games and the DS itself do NOT support it, so you won't be able to change that.

So, can't I just change the password to WEP?

You can, but it's not always a good idea. WEP is less secure than WPA, although much better than having no password. People can hack WEP passwords to either steal your internet access or more harmful things, such as watching what you send and receive. If your house is both a long way from the road and other neighbours, then WEP is suitable. Otherwise, WPA is the best option. Alternatively, a dedicated WEP router (or even secondary network from the same router if you're savvy enough) that you can turn on and off as needed could work.

So how do I change it?

Stop! Before reading on, think: should I ask my parents first? Should I get someone else to do it? Is it really safe to use WEP? If you are not both old enough and experienced enough with computers, just leave it.

The method actually varies, depending on the brand of router that hosts your wifi. You should check the instructions or google how to change it on your brand, but it usually involves typing the router's IP address into an internet browser and logging into the router's control panel. You WILL need to set a new password and tell everyone who uses it. You may not always be able to re-use the old one, because WEP needs certain numbers of characters.

[a id]usbwifi[/a id]

I can't set up a WEP-Secured network. How can I use my DS online, then?

The other option is to use a Nintendo Wifi USB Connector. The problem is that they have been discontinued for a long time, so you might have trouble tracking one down. There is little point posting a guide for an expired product, so here's a brief overview.

You will need:

• A Nintendo USB Wifi Connector
  • A Windows XP, Vista or 7 32-bit computer
  • A decent internet connection
You should download and install the appropriate drivers from here. The newest drivers are the most stable and reliable, so I strongly suggest you download them from that link instead of using the old ones on the CD. Then make sure the program is running and ready (blue icon in system tray). Access the game's Wifi setup menu (see first post) and select "Connect to your Nintendo USB Wifi Connector".
You will get a notification on the computer asking for permission. Give your DS (indicated by name) permission and you're good to go.

It is recommended to connect the adapter before starting Windows if you intend to use it.

Also, there are several third-party devices that do the same thing (such as the Datel Wifi MAX for DS and PSP) - they will not covered in this FAQ, but please don't hesitate to ask about them.

[a id]otheros[/a id]I am running Mac OS, Linux or a 64-bit version of Windows. Can I use the Nintendo USB Wifi Connector?

Sadly, you're pretty much out of luck. I suggest you look into setting up a router. You can pass the Connector through to a Windows XP Virtual Machine, but it's very fiddly, non-ideal and outside of the scope of this FAQ. None of the third-party versions of this product are compatible with these operating systems, either.

I still don't get this. Can someone help me?

Sure. If you need assistance, POST IN THIS THREAD with as much information about your situation as possible, so they we can get straight to helping you, rather than having to ask for more details.

Finally: if you have any fixes or improvements to suggest, don't do it in this thread - send me a PM.

Last edited:
Years
Nintendo DS Wifi Question.

Well, I want to be able to play/trade pokemon on forums again. I know that you need a WEP/Open security on your router, but I can't really control those settings. I have a laptop that can only read WPA encryption, so that's why we had to change from WEP to WPA in the first place.

I've already tried the Nintendo USB thing, but it works like crap. It goes in and out of connection, and it gets hot, just doesn't work.

I've tried AD HOC connections, but whenever I do that on my computer, my DS doesn't find the connection. I know I'm doing it right. My desktop is hardwired and I have a USB wireless thing with the drivers installed. I did the settings right as well. I also googled this and some say that the DS isn't AD HOC compatible. Are they right?

Is there any way I can get back online without having to change my router security?

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
Years
What type of laptop do you have? It should be able to use any type of wireless security. And do you have a DSi? If so, then when you go to set up your wireless, go to Advanced Setup. You shouldn't HAVE to do this though, because as I said, your laptop should be able to use any wireless security, not just WPA. If that is the case, you could have a serious problem with your laptop or wireless router.

Years
I'd be using the USB Wifi connector. Download the drivers as explained near the end of the sticky and try again.

It also explains that the DS does NOT support Ad-Hoc.

What type of laptop do you have? It should be able to use any type of wireless security. And do you have a DSi? If so, then when you go to set up your wireless, go to Advanced Setup. You shouldn't HAVE to do this though, because as I said, your laptop should be able to use any wireless security, not just WPA. If that is the case, you could have a serious problem with your laptop or wireless router.

DS Games are NOT able to use WEP. The DSi can for its own games and functions, but as it reverts to DS mode for older/DS games, the WPA functionality is lost.

OP, what sort of errors are you getting when you say that the computer doesn't support WEP? WEP predates WPA and works out of the box on Windows XP and up. WPA, on the other hand, needs Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Years
Nintendo WiFi Connection?

Ok i have a big with my nintendo wifi connection ever since my parents got a Mac. Every time i try to find a connection my DS cant find one. Ive done it manually but cant figure out the WEP. I think the security is WPA. Can anyone help me?

Gerri Shin

  
Years
Mac has nothing to do with the router and it's security settings. If you must get mad at anyone, get mad at nintendo for not being able to facilitate a way for DSlite users to use WPA networks, whether by Firmware update or upgraded model trade in (not DSi[xl])

Anyway, if your parents have the router set up with WPA and you cannot change it, you can always see if they will get (or if you can afford it) another cheap router that you can set up with WEP and then when you don't use it, just unplug it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2010
My router is the compatibility list of Nintendo, even if the router is just across the room, although my father tried many tricks to get the router to come through the DS, the DS view, still nothing. Now I have no choice but to buy a Wi-Fi USB Connector, because I am a disgrace to the router, which I know definitely works well with everyone else. So I am going to be cheated of $ 35.

Years
My router is the compatibility list of Nintendo, even if the router is just across the room, although my father tried many tricks to get the router to come through the DS, the DS view, still nothing. Now I have no choice but to buy a Wi-Fi USB Connector, because I am a disgrace to the router, which I know definitely works well with everyone else. So I am going to be cheated of $ 35.
The router is probably running WPA for its security protocol. The DSLite and DS cannot see WPA networks, and all DS games do not work with WPA. The DS needs WEP to function properly for wireless.

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
Years
I read through the posts and it seems someone has a similar problem to me. I, too, use a mac, and I have yet to find an AFFORDABLE wi-fi connector to use with my DS Lite (plan on getting the 3DS later this year, if this influences anything). Right now I'm using the Verizon Actiontec router, and it's only a year or two old so I know it has been recently updated.

Even though I shut my wii/xbox off (so they don't use the WiFi at the same time as my DS Lite) I still get disconnected a lot. It gets so bad sometimes that I can't even get into the room, while other times I can trade with someone for a half hour and be fine. I'm never below 3 bars of connectivity strength, so I'm not sure what's going on.

My question is, does this sound like a router problem or possibly my DS Lite? My wii NEVER has connection issues, yet my DS always does. Should I purchase a small wifi USB thing or do you think the 3DS might fix my problems?

I'd rather not purchase something from outside the US if possible. =\

Years
I read through the posts and it seems someone has a similar problem to me. I, too, use a mac, and I have yet to find an AFFORDABLE wi-fi connector to use with my DS Lite (plan on getting the 3DS later this year, if this influences anything). Right now I'm using the Verizon Actiontec router, and it's only a year or two old so I know it has been recently updated.

Even though I shut my wii/xbox off (so they don't use the WiFi at the same time as my DS Lite) I still get disconnected a lot. It gets so bad sometimes that I can't even get into the room, while other times I can trade with someone for a half hour and be fine. I'm never below 3 bars of connectivity strength, so I'm not sure what's going on.

My question is, does this sound like a router problem or possibly my DS Lite? My wii NEVER has connection issues, yet my DS always does. Should I purchase a small wifi USB thing or do you think the 3DS might fix my problems?

I'd rather not purchase something from outside the US if possible. =\
Well it depends on the games that you are using. I believe Black and White can use WPA encryption with the DSi and higher, so you can assume it has the same connection as the Wii.

Dropping out with good reception is more likely to be due to your internet connection, but if you haven't had troubles with the other consoles, then it's really hard to say.

As for an adaptor for the Mac, you're pretty much out of luck, as the Nintendo version doesn't support Mac and they all seem to use an Ad-hoc (device-to-device, like a chain, rather than a tree) connection, which the DS doesn't support.

The 3DS also uses Wireless-G, as opposed to Wireless-B, so it's a faster and better connection, in theory.

So I'd expect that they 3DS would be better off, but obviously I can't guarantee it. See if you have any friends that are willing to try their 3DS in your network.

YesMyGengar

loli'mnew.
Years
My internet is WPA2 and can't be changed.
I suppose I can play B/W, since they're recent and must be able to take WPA2. But can Soul Silver support WPA2?
I've connected the 3DS to the wireless and it's working great, but when I try to connect Soul Silver, it doesn't connect. Help?

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
My internet is WPA2 and can't be changed.
I suppose I can play B/W, since they're recent and must be able to take WPA2. But can Soul Silver support WPA2?
I've connected the 3DS to the wireless and it's working great, but when I try to connect Soul Silver, it doesn't connect. Help?

I don't believe Soul Silver is compatible with WPA encryptions. WEP is the only option to connect with that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back