ROM Hacks Studio The ROM Hacks Studio — once known as our “Hacks Showcase” — is the best place on the web to find ROM hacks. Browse our curated collection, all made by PokéCommunity members: patch, play, and enjoy!

Old August 27th, 2011 (1:24 AM).
Heavy Metal Alchemist

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkandzelda View Post
    For the record, I respect your opinions but I think its nice to have some extra events in a hack, something you would never see from Nintendo. After all, theres only about 5 battles from zane in the whole hack, and 4 from axel. Thats an extra 9 battles out of hundreds that don't have a large impact on the hack really compared to the rest of the battles. You could say that about the other trainers in the game that they "delay progress in the story". And another thing, the story would be shorter and the game over much quickly if those rivals didn't exist at all, and would make the hack generic and boring in my opinion.
    Additional battles barely add anything to the story. If you want to make your hack more exciting then try some scripting or something. Battles aren't hard to add, while scripting requires some real skill.

I'm not against additions in general, I'm against forced rivals who annoyingly approach you in the least expected moments, are blatantly fanmade and don't fit into the canonical world at all. Look at Zel's Shiny Gold. Zel stuffed hundreds of useless characters to his hack, with the most annoying one being Carlos. He was approaching you in practically every single town, his sprite was poorly done (an obvious edit of Noland's sprite), his team was drastically overpowered. His addition felt very random and forced. He was simply annoying, not interesting.

Motherloads of rivals are no good, many previous hacks have proved that.

Quote:
    Also about these extras, they are there to add an extra layer to the existing story. When I didn't have anyone back in the early days of LC I let someone play it, then asked them how far they got after 30 mins. And they said they got bored of the game and stopped playing, told me they would rather play the original Crystal.

Anyway... I like the extra events as it sets the scene for other things.. The extra battles also make things harder at times as you battle new pokemon you didn't expect in that area. You should take that on as a challenge and be intrigued about who they are, rather than find it an annoyance.
    As I said, there are better ways to make your hack more original and intriguing that merely adding character-less, oddball rivals. If you really want to amaze your players, try something more technical, like some sidequests or something.

If you want more battles, then adding more Trainers on Routes would work just as well (and it'd be much less annoying).
    After 12 years of being a Pokemon fan, I'm officially quitting. This is not a rage quit and it has nothing to do with the Pokemon franchise. It's also NOT a sudden decision - I've planned it for months but I decided to stay a true, active Pokemon fan until the very last day. The reason for my leave is the fact that I'm starting my studies at the Uni and I decided that it's a perfect moment to move on with my life. I'll never forget all these awesome years and Pokemon will always be a part of my childhood memories. Goodbye friends! Thank you.

Relevant Advertising!

Old August 27th, 2011 (1:34 AM).
    n00b desu ka?

Nature: Careful
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
      Additional battles barely add anything to the story. If you want to make your hack more exciting then try some scripting or something. Battles aren't hard to add, while scripting requires some real skill.

I'm not against additions in general, I'm against forced rivals who annoyingly approach you in the least expected moments, are blatantly fanmade and don't fit into the canonical world at all. Look at Zel's Shiny Gold. Zel stuffed hundreds of useless characters to his hack, with the most annoying one being Carlos. He was approaching you in practically every single town, his sprite was poorly done (an obvious edit of Noland's sprite), his team was drastically overpowered. His addition felt very random and forced. He was simply annoying, not interesting.

As I said, there are better ways to make your hack more original and intriguing that merely adding character-less, oddball rivals. If you really want to amaze your players, try something more technical, like some sidequests or something.

If you want more battles, then adding more Trainers on Routes would work just as well (and it'd be much less annoying).
      Zane and Axel, are not 'oddball' random battles. They play huge roles in LC, intact Zane plays major roles on the Orange Islands. Oh and telling me to "try some scripting" is rather offensive too me as all the scripts in the hack were made by me so I obviously had tried scripting... Not sure if I should take offence but I did... Just wondering but how much of the hack have you played?
      Old August 27th, 2011 (1:42 AM).
      /)^3^(\
      • Silver Tier

Nature: Relaxed
      To be honest I like all the things Maxim doesn't like. The rivals make the game more than just a boring GSC remake. Even HG/SS had some new/old things that made it interesting like the Battle Frontier, GB Sounds, Hoenn & Sinnoh Pokemon in Kanto, etc. This ROM Hack has Zane & Axel, Orange Islands, another evil team, getting to be a trainer to battle, etc. I like the new additions, and they make your ROM Hack more exciting.
      Old August 27th, 2011 (1:52 AM).
      • Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
      Quote:
      Wouldn't the game be simply better without all those forced self-made rivals like "Zane"? All those rivals do is popping out in the least expected moments and delaying your progress in story. Not to mention that they don't fit the world at all, they feel like a forced, useless addition. Also, why does this new rival battle the player before he gets to see Mr. Pokemon. That makes him the first battled player in the game. Why him and not Silver - THE rival of this story? This makes no sense.
      Quote:

I don't really care about fan GSC remakes all that much anymore but it's really outraging to see that most of them share the same failure. Those annoying self-made rivals were one of Zel's biggest mistakes in his Shiny Gold.

And if those rivals are incarnation of the author and/or his friends then they should be put into an optional Game Freak-like place, not scattered all over the world, if the author DESPERATELY wants to put them in the hack.

Annoying "new rivals", who don't fit the canonical world of Kanto/Johto at all, have ugly sprites (usually) and overpowered Pokemon teams only crowd the game and make it worse. There are much better ways to make a hack more exciting and original than just crowding it with dozens of unneeded battles with forced "rivals". Don't make the same errors as Zel!
      I could just not help myself from laughing at how much you hate rivals for no reason. Maybe you got stuck somewhere in the game and couldn't beat one of them...?

Also this is no place to start ranting about how GSC remakes are failures and such. Try a remake yourself.

Quote:
      Quote:

I'm terribly sorry but you seem to be repeating yourself blatantly. If this hack is just annoying or boring to you, don't play it, simple as that.. No need to post offensive comments.

@Laz I'll play this sometime, I swear laz.. xD

An idea about a sidequest, Dustdune Island or something. That was in my hack but it's better in yours, imo xD It was a Regigigas event, sending you the map in msn.

Old August 27th, 2011 (11:30 AM).

hey, this has probably already been asked, but will I be able to play the 2.1 beta save file on the beta 3 game? LaZ, great job! with all the added stuff like zane, team static (so cool btw), the new ledgendaries, changed story, ... I feel like i'm playing a new game, the most fun pokemon game ever! great stuff LaZ, please don't give up! i'd also like some beta testing if i'm welcome, I pay attention to the slightest details, typo's,... Is that still possible or am i one of the many who gets rejected :( anyway, great job!!! <3
        Old August 28th, 2011 (9:39 PM).
        Kanto Legend

I was just wondering if team magmar,aqua or glatic will we involved in the game in anyway?
          Old August 29th, 2011 (1:44 PM).
          Guess who's back?

Nature: Naughty
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by ssj View Post
            I was just wondering if team magmar,aqua or glatic will we involved in the game in anyway?
            Why would they be?
            There's already rockets and sparks...
            Old August 30th, 2011 (6:03 AM).

Don't get offended with what some people say, LaZ, just ignore the haters. There's plenty of people who love what you have done so far, and are eagerly awaiting what we hope will come next, myself included. Keep up the awesome work.
              Old August 31st, 2011 (8:14 AM).

hi, I just wanna tell that the games in amazing so far. I would play it again, but I'll wait for the new release. I know it'll be worth waiting

Great job!
                Old September 3rd, 2011 (3:14 AM).

Umm, Linkandzelda, I was thinking maybe you should... change the Gyarados sprite ? I mean, a Gyarados has a mightiness of a dragon but the sprite of the Gyarados here is a bit...you know, not mighty (?). It's a bit small and Gyarados seems to be rotating to much and looks to be too defensive, which doesn't really fit it's mightiness.
                  Old September 4th, 2011 (7:31 AM).
                  Johto remaker
                  • Silver Tier

Guys, from this week progress will resume as normal. Again, don't give up hope - We have planned a release for this month or next.

Follow me on Twitter by clicking on my signature.
                  Old September 4th, 2011 (12:15 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Zeikku™ View Post
                    Guys, from this week progress will resume as normal. Again, don't give up hope - We have planned a release for this month or next.
                    thanks for the info! looking forward to playing some more orange islands, will I be able to play 2.1 beta gamesave on the 3.0 beta? if so, how?
                    Old September 5th, 2011 (8:38 AM).

Sorry if my previous comment appeared to be 'spam' although I'm not sure how it came across that way but I am glad to see there's still interest in the completion of this masterpiece!
                      Old September 6th, 2011 (4:48 AM).

Do you already know when to beta 3.1? I know that in this mieściącu, but I want to know more. Sorry for my English I do not know the language well and I use the interpreter.
                        Old September 6th, 2011 (9:11 AM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by torn00 View Post
                          Do you already know when to beta 3.1? I know that in this mieściącu, but I want to know more. Sorry for my English I do not know the language well and I use the interpreter.
                          he/she means:

Is it already known when will be Beta 3.1 released? I know that it'll be out this month, ...

Old September 7th, 2011 (1:27 AM).
                          Sound Expert

Nature: Relaxed
                            Nobdy knows this except the auther himself.

Did you also notice that it already said "coming soon" three months ago?
                            Old September 7th, 2011 (3:50 AM).

not even the author knows exactly when it will come out hence the coming soon 3 months ago. Just be patient, I can't believe I have found myself checking back here every day for an update ahaha :D
                              Old September 9th, 2011 (3:04 PM).

My, my. There's a lot of kiddy drama in this thread.

In any case, the adults are waiting long and patiently for this ROM to progress. Keep up the good work, Link.
                                Old September 12th, 2011 (4:55 PM).
                                n00b desu ka?

Guys a quick update. Things are taking longer than planned, and I havent got much time to work on the hack right now.

...That is all.
                                  Old September 12th, 2011 (8:36 PM).
                                  Memento Mori
                                  • Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
                                  That's really quick update xD
                                  Do you need to do something more then just beta testing?

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
                                  Old September 13th, 2011 (7:48 AM).

linkandzelda this hack looks so good that I can not wait for him. Sorry for my english.
                                    Old September 13th, 2011 (9:25 AM).

Quote:
                                      Guys a quick update. Things are taking longer than planned, and I havent got much time to work on the hack right now.

...That is all.
                                      no problem, we don't pay you so you're not forced to do anything (: thanks for the awesome game so far. If there's anything I can do to help, tell me (:
                                      you've already made so many people happy with this, you don't need to rush things, i'm patient

-TB-
                                      PS: thanks for keeping us updated
                                      Old September 13th, 2011 (9:51 AM).
                                      Guess who's back?

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by revallsay View Post
                                        he/she means:

Is it already known when will be Beta 3.1 released? I know that it'll be out this month, ...

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by ipatix View Post
                                        Nobdy knows this except the auther himself.

Did you also notice that it already said "coming soon" three months ago?
                                        I think LaZ or Ziekku said it will be out in October
                                        but Laz's new update said it'll take a bit longer which I guess will be november December time ...
                                        Old September 13th, 2011 (6:40 PM).

I'm just happy it's being continued.

Too many times do you see fantastic hacks that just end abruptly for no reason. Either the creator loses interest, loses motivation, or just get's frustrated.

Also for those of you that are taking this wayyy too seriously, pestering LaZ about "When is it gonna be out!!!!1111oneone"

I would highly encourage you all to create your own beta of ANY random game. Learn the process of warps, scripts, mapping, and all of that. See if it doesn't change your tune about him being "slow". Truth is, it's a very very time consuming process, and I want him to take as much time as he needs to finish it, without losing his mind, and getting discouraged in the process.

Too many hacks fail short of completion for these reasons. So be more happy your even getting it at all.

God bless all of you, and LaZ take your time man, I'll be waiting for it when it's released.
                                          Old September 14th, 2011 (11:26 AM).
                                          Suuuper Busy

Location: Sapphire City in future Hoenn
                                            Nature: Jolly
                                            I haven't seen the update videos in a while. Has the female player sprite benn updated yet?
                                            Pokemon Cursed/Creepy White - Group project, on hiatus for now with plans to return eventually.
                                            Animal Crossing Wild World playing as an animal - experimental, messing with models and textures

Hacks I've worked on in the past:
                                            Pokemon Ruby Destiny Broken Timeline (pre-reboot) - Assisted with maps
                                            Pokemon HeartGold Prince Boo Edition - Experimental project with three small changes. Made at the request of YouTube LPer PrinceBoo21.

Been super busy with work, life, and laptop problems. Hopefully I can get back into it soon, I fear I'm already rusty. Meanwhile I'm considering writing some of my hacks as a series of fanfics.

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
                                            Times I've ninja'd people: 3
                                            Quick Reply

Sponsored Links