• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Tail-win (peaked at #38 on ladder)

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years

TEAM TAIL-WIN

14mgolw.jpg

Team Tail-win is a gimmick team deluxe that is my anti-weather team, and has served me well up until now. Sadly, with me revealing it in my previous log and with people apparently becoming aware of powerful and strongs gimmicks, I figured "why the hell not", and decided to make it a RMT anyway as it has been a fairly successful team.

You'll have to apologize me for this rather uncouthed format, seeing as I'm not that good with those when it comes to RMT-ing.

Team building:

Let's just say that I've used tons of stuff, including Tailwind CM Suicune with Shadow Ball as its lone coverage move (haha), Flying Gem Archeops, Balloon Terrakion et cetera, so I'll just show you the most successful version of the team thus far, if you don't mind. The team is essentially based on a CB Haxorus sweep though, with tons and tons of Tailwind support as well as a few pokes that tries to ward off priority, pass it subs in order for it to live longer etc.

At a glance:

620.gif
bg7g5.gif
212.gif
641.gif
381.gif
612s.gif

Details or something:

620b.gif

Kojondo (Mienshao) (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge

Mienshao starts off the show by forcing switches like a madman. Ghosts that love to switch in gets their day ruined by a happy sub-passing dawg, anything that can take a Fake Out gets severely startled really. Depending on the lead, I usually sub first if I see that they've got a ghost, especially in the case that they've got a Tyranitar in the lead slot - and from there it is usually go to Scizor-time, seeing as anything that gets hit by neutral @ stone edge really loves switching into this (Reuniclus, for instance).

Basically, he passes around subs, makes the steels shiver slightly, and serves as a brutal attacker under Tailwind. In most cases I simply go to Scizor after I've passed him a sub, after which I can set up Tailwind with relative ease. It is not uncommon that people switch into Gyarados for instance as I go to Scizor, which usually leads to the sub taking a hit as I U-turn out, allowing me to get in either Mienshao, Haxorus, or Latios undamaged. Together with Tornadus and Scizor, they effectively allow me to scout whatever responses my opponent has to different mons, and it works out rather well.

130.png

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge/Waterfall/AQUA TAIL
- Bounce

Hi there, mr. "I'm on the team because losing to Scizor sucks balls!" Really though, Gyarados is on the team as a decent check to Excadrill (lol), fighters in general, loves to absorb all priority aimed at everything... And it is usually a very decent recipient of the subs that Mienshao passes around, as it for instance gives me a turn to attack that damned Jolteon that I still won't be faster than after a DD, and.. stuff. Running 80 HP + Adamant now because doing 43% and less to Scizor is really unacceptable if it is supposed to check it in any way, as you might've seen in the most recent log I posted :x If anything, Gyarados helps get some wear and tear on Ferrothorn/Starmie/Garchomp/Jirachi etc, as well as providing me with para support on the weird occation which really helps with Lati and Haxorus cleaning up later on.

212b.gif

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 232 HP / 96 Atk / 180 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn
- Tailwind

One of the only two steels to learn Tailwind, as well as being a provider of priority that is always nice to have, Scizor takes the role as the "early game setter" of Tailwind. Standard SDef spread from the threat list afaik, allows me to actually survive some special attacks including those from the pesky Reuniclus and Lati, mainly because at this point in the meta, I have no idea how to optimize my EV spreads due to the lack of stats (I love being anti-meta :< ) Scizor also provides me with pretty pretty resistances to everything, which is greatly apprechiated since half the team is weak to ice, a third is weak to dragon.. yeah. Bullet Punch still packs a.. BULLET even with the little attack investment, but it is mainly on the team due to the ultility it brings. What it cannot stop on its own (Sun teams, Rain teams, everything resisting bullet punch) gets mauled by...

641b.gif

Torunerosu (Tornadus) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hurricane
- U-turn / Rain Dance
- Hammer Arm
- Tailwind

Welcome the oshi- button of the team! If basically anything runs rampant, be it sun, rain, swift swimmers, dory having broken through the aquatic snake as well as language barriers, this thing is sure to provide a quick solution. While Thundurus would usually outclass its brother on a non-rain team, the priority tailwind actually works versus sand offense, which is something it cannot boast, as well as it providing a cute cute spam-able hurricane versus rain teams. Hammer Arm >> Focus Blast so that I can break through Blissey easier should Gyarados/Mienshao/Scizor be out of commission, as well as providing a decent means of killing off Escadrill/Tar as well should the situation call for it. U-turning also works out great on switches together with Mienshao and Scizor, however it also allows me to decide if I should bring in Latios or Haxorus for the onslaught, or if Mienshao is actually the better option. This is pretty much the one thing that cannot be replaced, as its priority tailwind really saves games and is the one thing this team is pretty much built around.

381b.gif

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Tailwind
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf

Strongz. Sweeps sun like nothing, and has excellent resistances as well. Tailwind allows me to do some sweeping on my own if it is desirable, for instance vs. predicted set-ups versus anything really. Flawless coverage is of course always nice, and I'm not using Draco Meteor because no spinner + lo + weather up etc it will go down in like three hits anyway, so having it take any extra damage due to switches will likely not work out. At this point, my descriptions are going to die, and I'll probably just do damage calculations for Haxorus.

612sb.gif

Ononokusu (Haxorus) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Rivalry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Dual Chop
- Brick Break
- Earthquake

Hello to the one thing that abuses laziness to the fullest! With the potential to at least 3hko any steel in the game, Haxorus really enjoys killing off anything steel as well as anything on a weather team in one hit, assuming that they don't run anything female. I just bring out this whenever I feel like sweeping vs weather teams (read, whenever tailwind is up, as outrage ideally lasts three turns, and tailwind lasts three turns as well)
some calcs assuming rivalry:

Stuff that resists it:

Outrage vs 4|0 Excadrill: (100.55% - 118.51%)
Outrage vs 4|0 Heatran: (70.90% - 83.59%)
Outrage vs 248|0 Heatran: (59.33% - 69.95%)

Outrage vs 232|0 Scizor: (71.09% - 83.78%)
Outrage vs 252|48 Relaxed Ferrothorn: (47.44% - 55.97%)
Outrage vs 252|176 Impish Skarmory: (43.11% - 50.60%)
Outrage vs 252|0 Skarmory: (53.89% - 63.47%)

Outrage vs 252|80 Bronzong: (39.05% - 46.15%)

Brick Break vs 252|48 Relaxed Ferrothorn: (79.55% - 93.75%)

Defensive behemoths that DOESN'T resist it:

Outrage vs 252|252 Bold Jellicent: (107.18% - 126.49%)
Outrage vs 252|252 Relaxed Quagsire: (97.72% - 115.23%)
Outrage vs 252|252 Relaxed +1 Quagsire: (65.48% - 77.16%)
Outrage vs 252|252 Relaxed +2 Quagsire: (48.98% - 57.87%)
Outrage vs 252|252 Bold Reuniclus: (98.35% - 116.04%)
Outrage vs 252|252 Impish Gliscor: (83.90% - 99.15%)

Outrage vs 252|252 Bold Cofagrigus: (83.44% - 98.44%)
Outrage vs 252|252 Bold Slowbro: (82.49% - 97.46%)

And the one mon that tanks the hit best that doesn't resist it not named shedinja is....
Outrage vs 252|252 Calm Blissey: (59.38% - 70.17%) (female lol)

Also just in case you think that Cloyster can take a beating, (119.50% - 140.66%) says NO.

Threat list:

Sun: Get something to take the sleep, set up Tailwind with Latios and sweep, then eventually send in priority Tailwind and clean up with Haxorus.
Rain: Sweep with CB Haxorus or eventually Tornadus/Latios
Sand: Sweep with CB Haxorus.
Hail: Gyarados/CB Haxorus
Normal Offense: CB Haxorus
Stall: CB Haxorus + Mienshao
Foe Tailwind: what

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2015
I think tailwind on latios seems excessive, especially cause scizor and wind genie will set it up and switch out more effectively. Maybe try recover or calm mind instead. Or even revert to the classic specs set, its common for a reason.

Gyarados sorta looks like extra weight that would just waste tailwind turns, uh sitting around :) Not that i know much about tailwind tactics but id guess you wanna keep momentum and offensive pressure on the other team. Maybe a heavy offensive poke here, like specs rotom W which kinda also checks scizor and doryuuzu.

Gl on this wierd style, im trying that scizor for sure :)

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
Years
Tailwind is a pretty interesting concept that I like pretty well. Nothing much to say other than is Earthquake on Gyara really a good idea? with all the Levitate, Balloon, and etc running about, I would actually prefer Stone Edge >> EQ and go with Waterfall. It works well on my current team, so I suggest it.

Elvis Cheeseley

~Swiss cheese only~
Years
Having been on the receiving end of that team twice,I know exactly how deadly that is ....

PC BATTLE SERVER said:
(18:06:07)Elvis cheeseley:It's unexpected,deadly and yet RIDICULOUS
(18:06:32)Oppowdon:aww
(18:06:57)Oppowdon:you're flattering me

Anyway,apart from the "great RMT Oppo,nice formatting,bad sense of humour yadda yadda :P,a few small things I'd like to say-

YOU DON'T NEED TAILWIND ON 3 OUT OF 6 POKEMONS

Scizor and Tornadus are fine,but not latios.Keep CM/Meteor.

Don't keep EQ on Gyarados.Does nothing.Waterfall+Bounce+SE/Frustration (Go ANGRY Gyara) is better imo.

Substitute is an option over Rain on Mr.Tornado,although you'll have to settle for Hurricane's horribad acc.

As far as I see,there are 3 things which can bring this team to a halt-

1.Life orb Dialga :P
2.Confusion hax on Haxorus
3.CB Mammoswine-Ice eats 1/2 ur team with SR support.Scizor is 2hko'd by EQ and can't OHKO with BP.Ice shard 2HKOs Mienshao switching in, after entry hazards

Other than that,nice RMT as always.

Last edited:
Years
Tailwind is a pretty interesting concept that I like pretty well. Nothing much to say other than is Earthquake on Gyara really a good idea? with all the Levitate, Balloon, and etc running about, I would actually prefer Stone Edge >> EQ and go with Waterfall. It works well on my current team, so I suggest it.

I run EQ on my Gyarados, too. It provides great coverage and is useful in relinquishing Rhyperior that try to switch in and counter me.

------
Joking aside, this is a really well-built team, Oppo. The only quip I have for you today, is that I'd replace Bounce or EQ on Gyara, with Taunt, just in case something pulls thunder wave on you, or something tries to taunt you first.

Back