The PokéCommunity Forums
The PokéCommunity Forums > Community Square > Off-Topic
Microsoft rolling out 60+ updates on Tuesday

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Off-Topic General chat topics ranging from anime and video games to serious debates and pop culture.

Old April 10th, 2011 (5:25 PM).
the spirit of the fighter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Microsoft does this thing called Patch Tuesday to fix flaws with its software – and next week we can expect the biggest Patch Tuesday of all time.

The April 2011 release will contain fixes for 64 flaws. The most number of flaws fixed before then was 49 in October of last year, according to Maximum PC.
Most of the updates are to fix certain aspects of the Windows operating system, as well as Internet Explorer, Visual Studio, the .NET Framework and MS Office.

All 64 fixes are worked into 17 “bulletins” with nine categorized as being critical. You should definitely download these when Tuesday rolls around – consider yourselves warned.

Why? Every time I speak with security experts, they always tell me some of the biggest problems with people’s computers is that they don’t update their software.

Software updates are always coming out – not just for Windows – but for other web browsers, plug-ins, and third-party programs.

Some of the plug-ins, in particular, can leave your computer’s back door open more than a 7/11’s.

It’s easy to set Windows Update to automatically do most of this “update” work for you. If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, hit the Windows button then type in ‘Windows Update.’

Then, on the left, click on ‘Change settings’ and select ‘Install updates automatically.’ Be sure to set a date and time when your computer will be on so that the updates can actually be installed.

It's important to know that you shouldn't be alarmed by Tuesday - it's basically a dentist giving you a new toothbrush and floss so that you don't get any cavities.

Do you use automatic updates? Why or why not?

- Maurice Cacho, MSN Tech & Gadgets
Are you going to use these updates, or do you think that they will/may cause more issues? Discuss, si'l vous plait.

Source

As for me, I intend to, seeing as I like to keep my computer updated. But, if there is an IE9 update, I am skipping it. I hate IE and I never, ever use it. Ever.

Relevant Advertising!

Old April 10th, 2011 (5:36 PM).
Kicking against the earth!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Lol, I guess Im going to do theese. If there is a IE9 update, maybe they'll do new back/redo stuff, honestly its uglier and worst then the previous.
I started using IE again a while ago, so yeah xD
yeah I tried firefox, opera, google chrome, and many others
This is allot.
Old April 10th, 2011 (6:31 PM).
LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice

Nature: Lax
I've heard the new IE is actually pretty good.

I hope all those updates aren't huge, I can deal if they're 60+ little bug patches but if they're updates to existing programs or something I will not be happy.
It's hard talking to cactus.

I think my head is dying
It's like being trapped in a room of smells
Old April 10th, 2011 (6:34 PM).
HAIL HYDRA!

I rarely use my Windows partition...maybe once or twice a month...and I update it even less than that XD so this probably won't affect me to much...
Old April 10th, 2011 (6:45 PM).
wut?

Nature: Quiet
Yeah, I'll definitely be updating as I too like to keep my computer up to date. 60+ seems like a lot though. o__O
Old April 10th, 2011 (7:22 PM).

This doesn't sound that bad, I've been through installing 90+ updates on windows before. There's a possibility that I'll be updating, I'm just a bit concerned about what may happen after I install the updates.
Old April 10th, 2011 (10:37 PM).
Get in the Game

The chances of something going wrong with your computer because of a routine security update are minimal. It's not like you're updating major versions or adding new features, it's just a patch for a security hole. You won't even notice these updates, even if there are 60 of them. I highly doubt they will cause any issues. :/
Old April 11th, 2011 (12:28 AM).

Nature: Jolly
Also you won't get most of the updates listed.
Old April 11th, 2011 (5:00 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkula View Post
The chances of something going wrong with your computer because of a routine security update are minimal. It's not like you're updating major versions or adding new features, it's just a patch for a security hole. You won't even notice these updates, even if there are 60 of them. I highly doubt they will cause any issues. :/
You'd be surprised. What made me go to Vista wasn't my choice. I tried installing an XP service pack when it was still XP, but something screwed it up and it wouldn't boot correctly. I think I'm going to make a restore point tonight just in case something does screw up.

Just to be safe.
Old April 11th, 2011 (5:11 AM).
a.k.a: ethan.

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
You'd be surprised. What made me go to Vista wasn't my choice. I tried installing an XP service pack when it was still XP, but something screwed it up and it wouldn't boot correctly. I think I'm going to make a restore point tonight just in case something does screw up.

Just to be safe.
Service packs and updates are a totally different deal, though. Do a restore point, sure. But providing the power isn't cut during the updates, all should be fine.
Old April 11th, 2011 (5:31 AM).
… … …
PokéCommunity Daily StaffDSC

Newsflash: this is anything but news.

These monthly update rollouts (and large ones, particularly since last year) have been happening for ages. There's little point in ignoring them, and for most people, they're installing without further prompt or notification anyway. Why choose now to spread unnecessary FUD about how a security update will maul your (poorly maintained) computer?
Old April 11th, 2011 (9:27 AM).
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk

Yeah, pretty much what Jake said. This is just pointless FUD. Unless you're a large business, there's no reason not to keep up to date on your updates.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old April 11th, 2011 (10:37 AM).

I will get these updates as they are SECURITY UPDATES. You do not skip out on those, as they are only patching security holes and are not adding functionality. Service packs are a whole different animal.

Also, IE 9 is already out in a recommended security update for Windows 7 anyways. I would also like to note that it is also much faster than IE 8 was from a cold start, and the browser it most resembles is Chrome.
Old April 12th, 2011 (9:44 AM).

Quote:
if there is an IE9 update, I am skipping it. I hate IE and I never, ever use it. Ever.
IE is tied in to your internet security settings and a lot of programs use it for various purposes. Refusing to update it because you don't start it is an uninformed move.
Old April 12th, 2011 (9:47 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocows View Post
IE is tied in to your internet security settings and a lot of programs use it for various purposes. Refusing to update it because you don't start it is an uninformed move.
What I meant was like, downloading the update for upgrading IE8 to IE9. I'll do any security patches, but not get IE9. It'd be a waste of space.
Old April 12th, 2011 (10:37 AM).

Quote:
What I meant was like, downloading the update for upgrading IE8 to IE9. I'll do any security patches, but not get IE9. It'd be a waste of space.
IE9 is much better than you think it is.
Old April 12th, 2011 (5:34 PM).

Quote:
I meant exactly what I said. IE is tied into your security settings and used by a number of programs for web connectivity. You really ought to upgrade, it's not like it takes any more space than IE8.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links