• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixel Art Duel #5: Dorandragon vs Valora17

Whose sprite do you vote for?

• Dorandragon

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • Valora17

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Pixel Art Duel #5

Dorandragon vs. Valora17

Introduction
Yes, we are finally back!
Welcome! This thread is to vote for who you think should win this duel.
Whose pixels are more impressive than the others? You decide!

Rules

1. No voting for yourself.

2. When voting, you must include comments on why you voted for the specific sprite.
Critcisim is appriciated also.

3. Don't be harsh on sprites, this is for fun after all!

Theme:
Scratch Fakemon.
Species:
A bird or african creature.

Contestants

Dorandragon

ibiphimredo.png

Valora17

8wlc06.png

Have fun!

Last edited:

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
Years
I like both of these sprites. I'm voting for Doran's because I find it to be extremely apealing and expressive. Very good use of the 96x96 space.

Valora's sprite is interesting, but the very cold looking face and plain feet don't really do it for me. I like the concept of a flaming flamingo, though.

Good job, both of you.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 29, 2015
I vote Valora17 it just looks better to me, though they're both nice

Humm96

Fly little Mockingjay!
Years
Dorandragon :) it looks more appealing, plus ive only just gotten the fire/water typing of the Flamingo, Flaming-o XD

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I like Dorandragon's a little better. It must be hard to create contrast in a bird so light, but it was managed. I like the textures in the red part of the bird, and I think it was done well.

I think Valora17's sprite was good as well, but the wing should have smaller, more frequent feathers rather than large ones, which seemed to be my main problem with this sprite.

Anyway, to both of you, good job! I loved both of your sprites.

Years
Dorandragon's sprite does look a bit complicated but the shading and palette choice is remarkable. The style is out of Pokémon's style though..

Valora could've used Pokémon's flame as references. The flames are mostly what I have a problem with.

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
Dorandragon

Reason: The design appeals top me more. Neither have an edge in spriting quality in my opinion.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
Years
Going to vote for Dorandragon.

The execution is just a bit better. They are both excellently sprited however.

For Doran's, the bottom wing plumes seem a bit uneven, but the shading on the bottom wings seems to be missing, where the tips fold up, the left side (it's right bottom wing) would have cast a shadow on the bottom wing, even if a little. The same can be said for the very tips of the other wing.

As for Valora's, I adore the idea of a Fire Flamingo... as anyone can tell when I mentioned it in his pixel shop 2 weeks ago >_>. I assume my idea inspired it, XD If not, then meh. :P I do think it's adorable either way, but the outline is the wrong color. It contrasts a little too much with the overall colors of the body. Honestly, I think the face is amazing, it's not a typical face, but I find it adorable. The only shading issue I see is that the flames under the wings would light up the body under said wings, which is shaded in the sprite, so really not too many things wrong at all, that I see.

Again, both are great, I just think Doran's was slightly better.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2016
Dorandragon it just looks a lot better to me as i have seen a couple of flamingo sprites before

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I vote for Doran's.

It just looks... wow.
I love the colour, and the shading.

Weespotty

The girl of nature
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Sep 18, 2011
Valora17, Its looks like a flamingo, which I think if from afica

Years

And the winner is...

Dorandragon with an amazing 19 point win!
ibiphimredo.png

Congratulations, good job you two.
In the mean time, another duel has already started. Go ahead and vote here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back