Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

 
 
Thread Tools
  #276    
Old April 8th, 2012 (12:42 PM). Edited April 8th, 2012 by Jarred0809.
Jarred0809's Avatar
Jarred0809 Jarred0809 is offline
The Eternal Lurker
     
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Location: Near Chicago
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Quiet
    Posts: 197
    Sign me up, I've had it with the /r/atheism circlejerk.
    This (and stuff exactly like it) has been shared by at least a dozen of my Facebook friends. It gets annoying after 20 seconds of scrolling through this picture with comments like "Aww I love you 2 Jesus!!! Praying for _____ today!"

    Relevant Advertising!

      #277    
    Old April 8th, 2012 (12:50 PM).
    Oryx's Avatar
    Oryx Oryx is offline
    CoquettishCat
    • Crystal Tier
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Age: 24
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Relaxed
    Posts: 13,204
    That's interesting that as a student at a catholic school I haven't seen much of that at all.

    It rolled over to Easter while I was drunk. I then took advantage of the amazing food my dining hall offers for dinner and crawled into bed lool.
    __________________


    Theme * Pair * VM * PM

    Not all men...

    Are all men stupid?

    That's right.

      #278    
    Old April 8th, 2012 (1:05 PM).
    droomph's Avatar
    droomph droomph is offline
    weeb
    • Crystal Tier
     
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Location: nowhere spectacular
    Age: 20
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Impish
    Posts: 4,291
    ^ I'm sure Jeebus will be okay with that

    Well, for Easter I read about 17 chapters of Acts just for fun.

    ...:useless:
    __________________
    did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
    o i forgot 5
    uraqt


      #279    
    Old April 8th, 2012 (1:55 PM).
    Alice's Avatar
    Alice Alice is offline
    (>^.(>0.0)>
    • Crystal Tier
     
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: Oregon
    Age: 25
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Careful
    Posts: 3,080
    I never do anything for Easter... I wish I could do the Easter egg hunting thing again tbh, but I'm too old for that, so there's not really anything to do.
      #280    
    Old April 8th, 2012 (2:36 PM).
    droomph's Avatar
    droomph droomph is offline
    weeb
    • Crystal Tier
     
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Location: nowhere spectacular
    Age: 20
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Impish
    Posts: 4,291
    Well...haven't you thought about reading the Bible? It's lots of fun, seriously! I mean, lots of angry Jewish people stoning Christians but STILL IT'S FUN
    __________________
    did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
    o i forgot 5
    uraqt


      #281    
    Old April 8th, 2012 (4:29 PM).
    Shining Raichu's Avatar
    Shining Raichu Shining Raichu is offline
    Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    • Platinum Tier
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: Australia
    Age: 26
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Adamant
    Posts: 9,075
    Welcome droomph and Jarred0809!

    I have to say, I've never seen anything like that on my Facebook feed either; I haven't seen any Jesus at all which is honestly surprising now that I think about it. I have quite a few Christians added as friends, including some hyper-religious cousins who actually go to church willingly...

    My only real atheistic Easter tradition is to make sure I eat chicken or beef on Good Friday lol
    __________________

    "So this is why God bombed us."

    Moderator of General Chat

      #282    
    Old April 8th, 2012 (4:45 PM).
    Oryx's Avatar
    Oryx Oryx is offline
    CoquettishCat
    • Crystal Tier
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Age: 24
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Relaxed
    Posts: 13,204
    I lied I just saw one.

    "Like if he died for you, He's watching :)"

    Also I have to read the bible for Theology. It's a huge annoyance, lol. :(
    __________________


    Theme * Pair * VM * PM

    Not all men...

    Are all men stupid?

    That's right.

      #283    
    Old April 8th, 2012 (6:35 PM).
    droomph's Avatar
    droomph droomph is offline
    weeb
    • Crystal Tier
     
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Location: nowhere spectacular
    Age: 20
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Impish
    Posts: 4,291
    Whoo thought I was in trouble for a moment there

    ...so if you don't mind me asking, which Book are you on?

    Hah I saw one that was like "Like if you believe that God exists" and there was a Photoshopped (or something) shadow of a man in a cloud picture. Come on, really? I'm pretty sure God doesn't waste his time in the stratosphere of our puny world, with the ozone layer and such.
    __________________
    did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
    o i forgot 5
    uraqt


      #284    
    Old April 8th, 2012 (6:43 PM).
    Oryx's Avatar
    Oryx Oryx is offline
    CoquettishCat
    • Crystal Tier
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Age: 24
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Relaxed
    Posts: 13,204
    It's not like "read the Bible straight through", we just read certain books like Exodus, Mark, John, and Revelations, haha. We just finished John/Revelations so not sure where we're going from here.
    __________________


    Theme * Pair * VM * PM

    Not all men...

    Are all men stupid?

    That's right.

      #285    
    Old April 8th, 2012 (6:46 PM).
    miltankRancher's Avatar
    miltankRancher miltankRancher is offline
    Mega Ampharos is the one.
       
      Join Date: May 2010
      Location: Philippines
      Age: 22
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Jolly
      Posts: 3,953
      Sign me up. I have been an atheist for quite a while, though a closet one, since Philippines is not really the country where you want to be an atheist, being a DEEPLY RELIGIOUS country at that.

      I have seen quite a few facebook posts, saying that, "if you love satan keep scrolling, and if you love Jesus, share this picture." I do not mean to be disrespectful at all, but what of those people who does not believe in him? Does that mean we are of the devil's army already? Being an atheist is like being branded as the devil's incarn.
      __________________

      I am a Roleplayer


      ...and I am PROUD of it.
      Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
        #286    
      Old April 8th, 2012 (6:47 PM).
      droomph's Avatar
      droomph droomph is offline
      weeb
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Sep 2011
      Location: nowhere spectacular
      Age: 20
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Impish
      Posts: 4,291
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
      It's not like "read the Bible straight through", we just read certain books like Exodus, Mark, John, and Revelations, haha. We just finished John/Revelations so not sure where we're going from here.
      Well John is a book about how Jesus helped people and Revelations is...well, a book of revelations, so you might be going into the "letters" part of the Bible soon (1-3 John, Romans, etc.).
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by miltankRancher View Post
      Sign me up. I have been an atheist for quite a while, though a closet one, since Philippines is not really the country where you want to be an atheist, being a DEEPLY RELIGIOUS country at that.

      I have seen quite a few facebook posts, saying that, "if you love satan keep scrolling, and if you love Jesus, share this picture." I do not mean to be disrespectful at all, but what of those people who does not believe in him? Does that mean we are of the devil's army already? Being an atheist is like being branded as the devil's incarn.
      Don't worry, they're just attention HHHHWWWWs (etc.) so you can just ignore them It's not like God's paying attention to fb THAT much, even God has limits to detail (but not to power, mercy, etc. please don't argue I mean no harm). I mean, he's USING fb to spread the word but he's not seeing who's scrolling past those pictures.

      If you believe he exists that is
      __________________
      did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
      o i forgot 5
      uraqt


        #287    
      Old April 8th, 2012 (6:51 PM).
      miltankRancher's Avatar
      miltankRancher miltankRancher is offline
      Mega Ampharos is the one.
         
        Join Date: May 2010
        Location: Philippines
        Age: 22
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Jolly
        Posts: 3,953
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by droomph View Post
        Well John is a book about how Jesus helped people and Revelations is...well, a book of revelations, so you might be going into the "letters" part of the Bible soon (1-3 John, Romans, etc.).
        Revelations is the only book of the bible I actually took some time to read. I have read a few verses and such, about the Apocalypse. There's not much there though. The letters of [Paul?] is the larger part of the new testament, though I believe it is not the most important, seeing as how the Gospel works. I also read the first few verses of Matthew where the timeline from Adam to Jesus was stated.
        __________________

        I am a Roleplayer


        ...and I am PROUD of it.
        Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
          #288    
        Old April 8th, 2012 (6:54 PM).
        droomph's Avatar
        droomph droomph is offline
        weeb
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Sep 2011
        Location: nowhere spectacular
        Age: 20
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Impish
        Posts: 4,291
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by miltankRancher View Post
        Revelations is the only book of the bible I actually took some time to read. I have read a few verses and such, about the Apocalypse. There's not much there though. The letters of [Paul?] is the larger part of the new testament, though I believe it is not the most important, seeing as how the Gospel works. I also read the first few verses of Matthew where the timeline from Adam to Jesus was stated.
        Well from what I know the last few chapters of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John (and the first few verses of Acts) are the most important to the Christian faith, because Easter and such and why we even bother with church on Sundays and stuff.
        __________________
        did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
        o i forgot 5
        uraqt


          #289    
        Old April 8th, 2012 (7:04 PM).
        miltankRancher's Avatar
        miltankRancher miltankRancher is offline
        Mega Ampharos is the one.
           
          Join Date: May 2010
          Location: Philippines
          Age: 22
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 3,953
          The books are basically the foundation of Christianity worldwide though.
          __________________

          I am a Roleplayer


          ...and I am PROUD of it.
          Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
            #290    
          Old April 8th, 2012 (7:09 PM).
          droomph's Avatar
          droomph droomph is offline
          weeb
          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Sep 2011
          Location: nowhere spectacular
          Age: 20
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Impish
          Posts: 4,291
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by miltankRancher View Post
          The books are basically the foundation of Christianity worldwide though.
          Yep. But those select verses are the real reason why there's still Christianity. The whole book is great, but the most important one are those verses. Always read that part first, before any other book. Then start with the Old Testament, working your way forward, and then finally finishing off with the Letters.
          __________________
          did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
          o i forgot 5
          uraqt


            #291    
          Old April 8th, 2012 (11:10 PM).
          Pecilia's Avatar
          Pecilia Pecilia is offline
          Death Bunnies
             
            Join Date: Jul 2010
            Location: 'Murica
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Modest
            Posts: 976
            I would like to partake in this social club filled with people who have the similar beliefs as myself. I was taught into church by my grandpa but my parents were Wiccan/Pagan so a clash between two religions makes it hard to pick, my brother went to Wicca and I just decided screw it I won't believe in any religion so I went Athiest. I recently read a book on different kinds of religions so I know more about other religions then an average person.
            __________________

            |Have a Read (Broken)|
              #292    
            Old April 9th, 2012 (12:10 AM).
            miltankRancher's Avatar
            miltankRancher miltankRancher is offline
            Mega Ampharos is the one.
               
              Join Date: May 2010
              Location: Philippines
              Age: 22
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Jolly
              Posts: 3,953
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by droomph View Post
              Yep. But those select verses are the real reason why there's still Christianity. The whole book is great, but the most important one are those verses. Always read that part first, before any other book. Then start with the Old Testament, working your way forward, and then finally finishing off with the Letters.
              I never really bothered reading the bible wholly. Just parts, yes, but as a whole, nah. Never.
              __________________

              I am a Roleplayer


              ...and I am PROUD of it.
              Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
                #293    
              Old April 9th, 2012 (10:49 AM). Edited April 9th, 2012 by droomph.
              droomph's Avatar
              droomph droomph is offline
              weeb
              • Crystal Tier
               
              Join Date: Sep 2011
              Location: nowhere spectacular
              Age: 20
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Impish
              Posts: 4,291
              Yeah it's boring sometimes too. Just skip the Census (where it lists all the descendants of Abraham) parts and you'll be fine.

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by greenmoon1996 View Post
              I would like to partake in this social club filled with people who have the similar beliefs as myself. I was taught into church by my grandpa but my parents were Wiccan/Pagan so a clash between two religions makes it hard to pick, my brother went to Wicca and I just decided screw it I won't believe in any religion so I went Athiest. I recently read a book on different kinds of religions so I know more about other religions then an average person.
              Well hi there! I hope you can find what you really want (and get to know yourself) here!

              We're not the pushy type, we swear.
              __________________
              did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
              o i forgot 5
              uraqt


                #294    
              Old April 9th, 2012 (4:54 PM).
              Shining Raichu's Avatar
              Shining Raichu Shining Raichu is offline
              Expect me like you expect Jesus.
              • Platinum Tier
               
              Join Date: Feb 2011
              Location: Australia
              Age: 26
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Adamant
              Posts: 9,075
              Welcome miltankRancher and greenmoon1996! :D

              The Bible is honestly terribly written. You'd think if God were going to compel these people to write a book he would have chosen better writers or made these people better writers. I've read the first two pages and I almost got a headache from just how awful it was. it seemed to me that for each paragraph they picked a word and then they revolved that entire paragraph around that word and featured it at least once in each sentence. I came out of it with Jackie Chan confused face.
              __________________

              "So this is why God bombed us."

              Moderator of General Chat

                #295    
              Old April 9th, 2012 (5:33 PM).
              Mockingjay's Avatar
              Mockingjay Mockingjay is offline
              Friends: See my About Me.
                 
                Join Date: Feb 2012
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Jolly
                Posts: 177
                Hello, my name is Jessi, but my name on here is Mockingjay.

                I am 15 years old, and most of my family is extremely religious. I was brought up by Catholics, went to Catholic schools, and forced into after school religion classes after I moved onto public schools.

                I, however, have been a closet Atheist for a while now. I've recently said something to my dad, cousin, three best friends, and some other friends when religious debates came up.

                I honestly see no point in any religion whatsoever. All they've done is bring war upon people. However, my grandmother, along with my other family members, would deem me as a devil worshiper if I said otherwise.

                In addition, I believe the Bible is a load of baloney. Perhaps the people in it were real, but most likely not. If they were, Jesus surely didn't rise from the dead. That's just crazy. Regardless of my beliefs, I have to keep my mouth shut if I want some peace and quiet in my family.

                My favorite quotes from a Bible:


                Ezekiel 23:19 -23:20 (New International Version) NIV
                "
                Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt.
                There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."
                  #296    
                Old April 9th, 2012 (5:38 PM).
                Mana's Avatar
                Mana Mana is offline
                • Platinum Tier
                 
                Join Date: Jan 2009
                Location: UK
                Gender: Female
                Posts: 10,005
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Mockingjay View Post
                Hello, my name is Jessi, but my name on here is Mockingjay.

                I am 15 years old, and most of my family is extremely religious. I was brought up by Catholics, went to Catholic schools, and forced into after school religion classes after I moved onto public schools.

                I, however, have been a closet Atheist for a while now. I've recently said something to my dad, cousin, three best friends, and some other friends when religious debates came up.

                I honestly see no point in any religion whatsoever. All they've done is bring war upon people. However, my grandmother, along with my other family members, would deem me as a devil worshiper if I said otherwise.

                In addition, I believe the Bible is a load of baloney. Perhaps the people in it were real, but most likely not. If they were, Jesus surely didn't rise from the dead. That's just crazy. Regardless of my beliefs, I have to keep my mouth shut if I want some peace and quiet in my family.

                My favorite quotes from a Bible:


                Ezekiel 23:19 -23:20 (New International Version) NIV
                "
                Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt.
                There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."
                Welcome Jessi! :D That quote is actually hilarious, at least something good came out of the bible ;D
                  #297    
                Old April 9th, 2012 (6:05 PM).
                droomph's Avatar
                droomph droomph is offline
                weeb
                • Crystal Tier
                 
                Join Date: Sep 2011
                Location: nowhere spectacular
                Age: 20
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Impish
                Posts: 4,291
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
                Welcome miltankRancher and greenmoon1996! :D

                The Bible is honestly terribly written. You'd think if God were going to compel these people to write a book he would have chosen better writers or made these people better writers. I've read the first two pages and I almost got a headache from just how awful it was. it seemed to me that for each paragraph they picked a word and then they revolved that entire paragraph around that word and featured it at least once in each sentence. I came out of it with Jackie Chan confused face.
                Yeah...well, it's in a desperate need of a rewrite.

                E.g. Leprosy is a treatable disease now. Switch to cancer prtyplz?

                There are lots others but I can't think of any as of now.
                __________________
                did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
                o i forgot 5
                uraqt


                  #298    
                Old April 9th, 2012 (6:10 PM).
                Oryx's Avatar
                Oryx Oryx is offline
                CoquettishCat
                • Crystal Tier
                 
                Join Date: Mar 2011
                Age: 24
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Relaxed
                Posts: 13,204
                But you have to think of the symbolism in the book. As much as I'm not religious, would you ask a book written in the past to be changed so you can understand it better? Why ask the Bible to do the same thing? And the symbolism of leprosy isn't the same as the current symbolism of cancer; back then leprosy was seen as a punishment for sin, and the people were confined because of how contagious it was and no one wanted to touch them. That doesn't apply to cancer so if Jesus is kind and gets near someone with cancer it doesn't have the same effect.
                __________________


                Theme * Pair * VM * PM

                Not all men...

                Are all men stupid?

                That's right.

                  #299    
                Old April 9th, 2012 (6:11 PM).
                miltankRancher's Avatar
                miltankRancher miltankRancher is offline
                Mega Ampharos is the one.
                   
                  Join Date: May 2010
                  Location: Philippines
                  Age: 22
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Jolly
                  Posts: 3,953
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
                  Welcome miltankRancher and greenmoon1996! :D

                  The Bible is honestly terribly written. You'd think if God were going to compel these people to write a book he would have chosen better writers or made these people better writers. I've read the first two pages and I almost got a headache from just how awful it was. it seemed to me that for each paragraph they picked a word and then they revolved that entire paragraph around that word and featured it at least once in each sentence. I came out of it with Jackie Chan confused face.
                  I agree. I mean, they could have made it better. We live in a modern world, and the bible simply does not live in it. Pre-medieval words. I mean, if it was the Word, why not edit it to make it more... I don't know understandable. But I know it is not possible as it has been written that way by people long dead. But I still believe, even in their time period, they could have written it better.
                  __________________

                  I am a Roleplayer


                  ...and I am PROUD of it.
                  Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
                    #300    
                  Old April 9th, 2012 (6:36 PM).
                  droomph's Avatar
                  droomph droomph is offline
                  weeb
                  • Crystal Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Sep 2011
                  Location: nowhere spectacular
                  Age: 20
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Impish
                  Posts: 4,291
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
                  But you have to think of the symbolism in the book. As much as I'm not religious, would you ask a book written in the past to be changed so you can understand it better? Why ask the Bible to do the same thing? And the symbolism of leprosy isn't the same as the current symbolism of cancer; back then leprosy was seen as a punishment for sin, and the people were confined because of how contagious it was and no one wanted to touch them. That doesn't apply to cancer so if Jesus is kind and gets near someone with cancer it doesn't have the same effect.
                  Well you know what I'm trying to get at. Well? I don't know, but the Leprosy being curable part still stands.

                  And I'm thinking, maybe no religion ever made is ever right, and no one will ever, because the real power that resides over the universe is way too complicated to be described even vaguely accurately. Or maybe they can be described, but no one knows enough to make a lasting description that people from eras afterward can understand and relate to.

                  Oh well, might as well not question it in the case that I am wrong
                  __________________
                  did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
                  o i forgot 5
                  uraqt


                   
                  Quick Reply

                  Sponsored Links
                  Thread Tools

                  Posting Rules
                  You may not post new threads
                  You may not post replies
                  You may not post attachments
                  You may not edit your posts

                  BB code is On
                  Smilies are On
                  [IMG] code is On
                  HTML code is Off

                  Forum Jump


                  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:57 PM.