The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Tool Nameless Sprite Editor 2.X

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #76    
Old December 10th, 2011 (3:30 PM). Edited December 10th, 2011 by feeves.
feeves's Avatar
feeves feeves is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 1
This tool makes changing Pokémon sprites so easy, even a noob like me could do it. So thank you!

I have a question though. Can you change the intro sprites with this? I can't seem to figure out how to do that.

Relevant Advertising!

  #77    
Old December 11th, 2011 (7:51 AM).
link12552's Avatar
link12552 link12552 is offline
to measure how far we wonder
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The blue one
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by feeves View Post
This tool makes changing Pokémon sprites so easy, even a noob like me could do it. So thank you!

I have a question though. Can you change the intro sprites with this? I can't seem to figure out how to do that.
Yeah you can edit pretty much any sprite using NSE (given the correct offsets)
If you're using Firered, I think the intro sprites are included, now, in the default bookmark file. Open your ROM and click "Navigate"
They're under BPRE.OW.People.Intro, they're in black and white, but you can import the correct colors from VBA.

Oh and for anyone following this thread, there was a small Update to some of the core NSE functions, mostly speed increases, but nothing super obvious.
Oh, and the default bookmarks got expanded a bit, thanks to diegoisawesome for providing the offsets!

We're now at beta 1.9...
__________________
  #78    
Old December 13th, 2011 (2:44 PM).
Paupir's Avatar
Paupir Paupir is offline
Dreamer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Posts: 22
I used NSE to edit some graphics in the Japanese Telefang 2 rom. Worked liked a charm. By far the best sprite/graphics editor to grace the Toolbox

I'm downloading 1.9 now~
__________________
Just starting out ;
  #79    
Old December 15th, 2011 (8:55 AM).
Wiznatts's Avatar
Wiznatts Wiznatts is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 42
I'm really liking the bookmarking stuff. NSE is so impressive. I saw that the hero/heroine intro sprites were included, but I'm having trouble editing those sprites since they're 256 color. I know you made a tutorial for doing some things in the original build of NSE and I was hoping you might have time to throw something like that together again for 2.0. Anyway, keep up the good work.
  #80    
Old December 15th, 2011 (9:06 AM).
Hacker Bisharp's Avatar
Hacker Bisharp Hacker Bisharp is offline
Bug reporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Posts: 334
Link your tool is fantastic!
I used NSE for my hack
  #81    
Old December 15th, 2011 (1:12 PM).
link12552's Avatar
link12552 link12552 is offline
to measure how far we wonder
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The blue one
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paupir View Post
I used NSE to edit some graphics in the Japanese Telefang 2 rom. Worked liked a charm. By far the best sprite/graphics editor to grace the Toolbox

I'm downloading 1.9 now~
Thank you very much,
It was one of my goals to make NSE 2.X work with all GBA games,
and it makes me glad to see it being used as such.:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiznatts View Post
I'm really liking the bookmarking stuff. NSE is so impressive. I saw that the hero/heroine intro sprites were included, but I'm having trouble editing those sprites since they're 256 color. I know you made a tutorial for doing some things in the original build of NSE and I was hoping you might have time to throw something like that together again for 2.0. Anyway, keep up the good work.
Thanks, I was working on a tutorial for NSE 2.X, but have since become sidetracked, I'll have to start working on it again.
Bookmarks were also an important part of NSE 2.X, they havn't turned out quite the way I intended, but they get the Job done!
To make editing 256 color sprite easier you should export the palette table from VBA when they appear, and then import that table into NSE 2.X.
In fact I think I made a simple post about this, here. Just instead of using the title use the Intro sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker Bisharp View Post
Link your tool is fantastic!
I used NSE for my hack
Thanks
__________________
  #82    
Old December 16th, 2011 (4:08 AM). Edited December 16th, 2011 by Eelektross.
Eelektross's Avatar
Eelektross Eelektross is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 23
I have a small and hopefully simple but very important issue I need to fix (:bitelip.
I mistakenly misinserted some edited item sprites, and so as aresult the data is not something7z or whatever compressed (It had an 'l' in it somewhere). My hack is pretty far along in terms of alk the sprite edits and I don't want it to end here.
So, in order to be able to open my bag, how should I go about returning the original items to their places and return the data to its correct compression?
-silly me, inserting something unrepointed-
Help...
:<
:worries:

EDIT: It was the Master Ball and Ultra Ball I tried to replace, both on the same Emerald file.

EDIT2: And I have to say I absolutely love NSE, Classic and 2.X! It's a reliable and powerful tool (unless you do idiotic things like me (;; ) and provides a simple way for me to insert Trainer and OW sprites with ease! Thankyou so much for creating this!

EDIT3: And now it says BPEE is unsupported in NSE 2.0 and doesn't open Item Plugin at all... It didn't say this before, will this mean I'll have to restart the hack?

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3gd4io7w6g5mtb4 This is the .ips, if anyone cares enough to have a look. Sorry for the inconvenience :I.
  #83    
Old December 16th, 2011 (1:56 PM).
link12552's Avatar
link12552 link12552 is offline
to measure how far we wonder
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The blue one
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelektross View Post
I have a small and hopefully simple but very important issue I need to fix (:bitelip.
I mistakenly misinserted some edited item sprites, and so as aresult the data is not something7z or whatever compressed (It had an 'l' in it somewhere). My hack is pretty far along in terms of alk the sprite edits and I don't want it to end here.
So, in order to be able to open my bag, how should I go about returning the original items to their places and return the data to its correct compression?
-silly me, inserting something unrepointed-
Help...
:<
:worries:

EDIT: It was the Master Ball and Ultra Ball I tried to replace, both on the same Emerald file.

EDIT2: And I have to say I absolutely love NSE, Classic and 2.X! It's a reliable and powerful tool (unless you do idiotic things like me (;; ) and provides a simple way for me to insert Trainer and OW sprites with ease! Thankyou so much for creating this!

EDIT3: And now it says BPEE is unsupported in NSE 2.0 and doesn't open Item Plugin at all... It didn't say this before, will this mean I'll have to restart the hack?

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3gd4io7w6g5mtb4 This is the .ips, if anyone cares enough to have a look. Sorry for the inconvenience :I.
It sounds like this might be a problem with the plug-in.
It could be that it was written for an earlier version of the NSE Framework and that it may not be setting something properly, I didn't make it so don't as me.
I can't tell you why it says it's not supported, but I did fix some nasty items I saw, hopefully this will fix it.
I'll attach an ips (note: use an unmodified Emerald ROM)
It may have something to do with the NSE 2.X save dialog, I'll have to give it a good looking over, and I might just make my own Item plugin, it shouldn't be too hard.

Oh well, sorry for any trouble this may have caused. Also!!!!!
If you used NSE 2.X it might have Logged any changes you may not have wanted to make.
In the NSE 2.X folder, here is a folder "core" and in this "logs"
See if there is a text file with the same name as your ROM, an if so check it for past activity.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CustumEm.zip‎ (1.02 MB, 25 views) (Save to Dropbox)
__________________
  #84    
Old December 16th, 2011 (4:30 PM). Edited December 16th, 2011 by Eelektross.
Eelektross's Avatar
Eelektross Eelektross is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 23
THANKYOU SO MUCH
I'm used to fussy tools, but my computer also enjoys refusing operations and the like: I checekd my log but there was nothing there. Well, so long as the Bag will open, it's no problem. Thank you SO much, this saves me hours of solid work (I saved the backup at the wrong time).
  #85    
Old December 20th, 2011 (7:10 PM).
Mr. Magius's Avatar
Mr. Magius Mr. Magius is offline
  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ... ;)
Gender: Male
Posts: 243
Thanks a lot for this, link! This is really useful and easy to use.. but all I have is an older version, because I'm unable to download from the links given on the OP. If it wouldn't bother you (or someone else), could you post a download link to a mirror for the latest version? Thanks!
__________________
  #86    
Old December 21st, 2011 (7:01 AM). Edited December 21st, 2011 by link12552.
link12552's Avatar
link12552 link12552 is offline
to measure how far we wonder
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The blue one
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magius View Post
Thanks a lot for this, link! This is really useful and easy to use.. but all I have is an older version, because I'm unable to download from the links given on the OP. If it wouldn't bother you (or someone else), could you post a download link to a mirror for the latest version? Thanks!
Strange... As long as your using my new site (http://www.lastlink.tk) it should work.

Are you getting this page, or are you getting sent to my older site (the one that's a cz.cc address)

Anyways...
I'll attach the current version of NSE to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip NSE 2.0.zip‎ (115.5 KB, 19 views) (Save to Dropbox)
__________________
  #87    
Old December 21st, 2011 (12:59 PM).
Mr. Magius's Avatar
Mr. Magius Mr. Magius is offline
  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ... ;)
Gender: Male
Posts: 243
Nah, my router's bad and sometimes it doesn't connect to certain sites. It works now though lol.

Thanks a lot!
__________________
  #88    
Old December 21st, 2011 (2:44 PM).
link12552's Avatar
link12552 link12552 is offline
to measure how far we wonder
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The blue one
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Posts: 203
Small UPDATE
beta 1.9a (the "a" is there because it's a small update)

Several important bug-fixes were addressed in this release:
  • The cursor is now "inverted" so you can see what you're doing
  • The insert compressed palette button works now
  • There's no more scroll error when resizing the brush
  • The "Load ROM" button shouldn't suddenly become unresponsive
  • The Sprite constructor now works properly with offsets to compressed data
Plus there are a few bonuses!
Speed increases (small, but they are there)
NSE will make sure you're saving compatible data (ex. shiny quagsire's item plug-in is bugged, NSE will notice the mess that happens when you try to save)
As mentioned above, the dynamic cursor's are now inverted, so they won't "vanish"
The NSE_Framework also got a few treats added.
You can also now use the bracket keys "[" and "]" to re-size the brush.

It should be known that there is a problem with shiny quagsire's item plug-in.
It's saving the sprites as uncompressed data, when they should be compressed.
I've contacted him about the problem, and NSE now checks for such problems, among others, when you save.
__________________
  #89    
Old February 10th, 2012 (5:39 PM).
Eelektross's Avatar
Eelektross Eelektross is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 23
I'm very sorry to bump this, but I felt I should comment on the new release.
The Item Editor notification is very useful, as that bug was what got me stuck two months ago lD. I'm also incredibly fond of the brush resizing~~
  #90    
Old February 11th, 2012 (6:11 AM).
daneben daneben is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Thanks for this awesome tool, I only got one improvement: What about a function to export all frames/sprites of the entire rom as bmp's? There's already this function for the nslx format.
  #91    
Old February 11th, 2012 (7:11 AM).
link12552's Avatar
link12552 link12552 is offline
to measure how far we wonder
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The blue one
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelektross View Post
I'm very sorry to bump this, but I felt I should comment on the new release.
The Item Editor notification is very useful, as that bug was what got me stuck two months ago lD. I'm also incredibly fond of the brush resizing~~
Thank you, I need to keep this thread alive so any comment is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneben View Post
Thanks for this awesome tool, I only got one improvement: What about a function to export all frames/sprites of the entire rom as bmp's? There's already this function for the nslx format.
This would make a TON of garbage (images that aren't really images), and it would only work for the Lz77 compressed sprites.

Anyways let me at least say some stuff about the update.

Update: v Beta 2.0.1 pt1

New features:
  • MUCH more memory effecient
  • Slightly larger navigate window
  • Use of the new uDrawData command in all controls
  • Extended PictureBox to support better edditing
  • Some bug fixes

Okay previously I was doing some not-to-efficient code to draw images. It would work fine when the scale was 1, but after that, the size would grow exponentially with scale.
Now the uDrawData command uses pointers to locate the data in memory, increasing speed and performance. (C# has pointers! yippee)

All sprites, internally, are drawn in scale 1, now, as well. (the original draw commands are still intact, providing backwards compatibility)

The new control ExtenededPictureBox, takes the scale 1 images, and draws them to the proper scale, without increasing the memory footprint, it also has a settable interpolation mode.

There is also code in place for the future implementation of a "Selection" tool. The code is there, but isn't visible, because well, it's not done yet...
Not to mention some of tehe other hidden Framework features, like int Read.ReadPointer(int Offset)...

I just feel obliged to offer some sort of update after this long time, been over a month.

- For any of you that are interested, I've been working on an Xbox 360 indie game for the past 2 months, that is coming along quite nicely now

Anyways, I'm also going to attach a "trainer Sprite" plugin with source! to this post, as I feel it is important to keep this thread alive.
The plugin is a direct port of the NSE classic code, but is slightly more refined. (Supports all English roms)

So go play with the code, and try to make something super awesome, I've done almost all the hard work for you, lol

-I've also attached a prebuilt version of the plug-in for those of you not interested in the source
Attached Files
File Type: zip TrainerPluginSource.zip‎ (177.1 KB, 44 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: zip BuiltTrainerPlugin.zip‎ (6.4 KB, 46 views) (Save to Dropbox)
__________________
  #92    
Old February 11th, 2012 (8:43 AM). Edited February 11th, 2012 by Speedster.
Speedster's Avatar
Speedster Speedster is offline
The Unknown
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In the depths of space...
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Posts: 134
Quote:
Update: v Beta 2.0.1 pt1

New features:
  • MUCH more memory effecient
  • Slightly larger navigate window
  • Use of the new uDrawData command in all controls
  • Extended PictureBox to support better edditing
  • Some bug fixes

Okay previously I was doing some not-to-efficient code to draw images. It would work fine when the scale was 1, but after that, the size would grow exponentially with scale.
Now the uDrawData command uses pointers to locate the data in memory, increasing speed and performance. (C# has pointers! yippee)

All sprites, internally, are drawn in scale 1, now, as well. (the original draw commands are still intact, providing backwards compatibility)

The new control ExtenededPictureBox, takes the scale 1 images, and draws them to the proper scale, without increasing the memory footprint, it also has a settable interpolation mode.

There is also code in place for the future implementation of a "Selection" tool. The code is there, but isn't visible, because well, it's not done yet...
Not to mention some of tehe other hidden Framework features, like int Read.ReadPointer(int Offset)...

I just feel obliged to offer some sort of update after this long time, been over a month.

- For any of you that are interested, I've been working on an Xbox 360 indie game for the past 2 months, that is coming along quite nicely now

Anyways, I'm also going to attach a "trainer Sprite" plugin with source! to this post, as I feel it is important to keep this thread alive.
The plugin is a direct port of the NSE classic code, but is slightly more refined. (Supports all English roms)

So go play with the code, and try to make something super awesome, I've done almost all the hard work for you, lol

-I've also attached a prebuilt version of the plug-in for those of you not interested in the source
Glad to see you got the Trainer Plug-in at this release. This is going far Link. If I may I have a list of features you may add in the future that we already suggested and other's discussed.
  • OW Editing (Obviously)
  • Support for future 649 Patches
  • TileSet Editing
  • TileMap Editing
  • Had some other things on mind but can't remember...
__________________

.:Aegis:.
~coming soon~
  #93    
Old February 21st, 2012 (9:47 AM).
Zeikaro's Avatar
Zeikaro Zeikaro is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 19
I like the new look of this fabulous tool which is more used to edit my graphics , I am just downloading this new version thank you very much.
  #94    
Old March 8th, 2012 (5:37 AM). Edited March 8th, 2012 by Greifer500.
Greifer500's Avatar
Greifer500 Greifer500 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 2
The Nse is a good hack tool, but by me is it with the color is color negativ and the lines are not on the right position .But is a good tool .

And by the most is it not discernible.
  #95    
Old March 8th, 2012 (5:37 PM).
esperance's Avatar
esperance esperance is offline
PokéCommunity Daily Staff
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 3,699
Hey everyone, I have just created a new plugin for you all!

It is a ...

Pokemon Icon Editor



Yes, that's right, I have made an Icon Editor plugin for NSE.

Just download it from the attachments!

(It only supports English FireRed, LeafGreen, Ruby and Emerald right now)

Please try it out and let me know what you think!
Attached Files
File Type: zip IconPlugin.zip‎ (7.8 KB, 48 views) (Save to Dropbox)
__________________
mod github pair
  #96    
Old March 12th, 2012 (1:41 PM).
Dizzyed Dizzyed is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 4
I am frequently getting a "NSE/CORE/LOG/MYROM.txt" is being used by another process message when trying to save palletes or sprites. I don't know if this is a bug or if I am doing something wrong as I am really new to this. I also sometimes get a "Your color has been something something (can't remember right now) please tell link12552" error message.

I basically want to replace the FR pokemon sprites with the foreign moemon sprites, but I can't find a tutorial that explains it well in NSE 2. If anyone has an idea as to how to do this I'm open to suggestions.
  #97    
Old March 12th, 2012 (2:54 PM).
MrElephant's Avatar
MrElephant MrElephant is offline
Pokemon Researcher
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Posts: 77
Hey everyone especially you link12552 I want to know how to edit red, green, and professor oak in the pokemon firered intro. I know you have to use ape, but unlz doesnt really help. Do you have any ideas?
  #98    
Old March 12th, 2012 (5:28 PM). Edited March 12th, 2012 by link12552.
link12552's Avatar
link12552 link12552 is offline
to measure how far we wonder
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The blue one
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyed View Post
I am frequently getting a "NSE/CORE/LOG/MYROM.txt" is being used by another process message when trying to save palletes or sprites. I don't know if this is a bug or if I am doing something wrong as I am really new to this. I also sometimes get a "Your color has been something something (can't remember right now) please tell link12552" error message.

I basically want to replace the FR pokemon sprites with the foreign moemon sprites, but I can't find a tutorial that explains it well in NSE 2. If anyone has an idea as to how to do this I'm open to suggestions.
hmm... Are you getting the first message with multiple instances of NSE open?

And do you know what the rest of that message said, the one that said to tell me . It's probably important if NSE thinks you have to contact me about it.

Edit: looking through the source, that error means that the plugin you were using didn't modify the "colors" component of the select color control properly.
What plugin were you using?
I think you may be trying to open two roms in NSE at the same time. If you want to transfer sprites from one game to another, open up two instances of NSE, and export sprite libraries from one, and import them into the other.

Do you have any of the other core features of NSE disabled? i.e. Safety Re-pointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentgeo View Post
Hey everyone, I have just created a new plugin for you all!

It is a ...

Pokemon Icon Editor



Yes, that's right, I have made an Icon Editor plugin for NSE.

Just download it from the attachments!

(It only supports English FireRed, LeafGreen, Ruby and Emerald right now)

Please try it out and let me know what you think!
AWESOME! I love to see people using the plugin framework I made, makes me feel all warm inside! It takes a little bit of time to load though, still cool

Edit: In your opinion, how hard was making a plugin using the provided libraries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElephant View Post
Hey everyone especially you link12552 I want to know how to edit red, green, and professor oak in the pokemon firered intro. I know you have to use ape, but unlz doesnt really help. Do you have any ideas?
Well, you don't have to be so rude. There are some bookmarks in the default bookmark file. BPRE > Sprites > Intro
You can import the palette file from VBA, export it as a .act, this will make editing the sprites in NSE practical.

Note: VBA exports ACT files with a .pal ending, change the ending to .act
__________________
  #99    
Old March 12th, 2012 (6:04 PM). Edited March 12th, 2012 by Dizzyed.
Dizzyed Dizzyed is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 4
I had two instances running, but they were opened to two different roms so I don't understand how they would use the same .txt log file. From looking at the log folder it seems the .txts are generated from the base rom name and they were named differently. Also, I was using the pokemon sprite editor plugin. I might be doing something wrong when changing the palettes.


Whenever I get the first error I usually just keep clicking continue and save until it doesn't give me that error anymore. Something on my computer might be causing slowdown. :<

edit: Just tried it with only one instance running and it gives the same Used by another process error. I'm going to try it on a virtual machine to see if it's my computer.

edit 2: Ran it on VM with windows XP and I still get the same error. How long does it take for the program to get done using the rom log file?
  #100    
Old March 13th, 2012 (11:56 AM).
link12552's Avatar
link12552 link12552 is offline
to measure how far we wonder
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The blue one
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyed View Post
I had two instances running, but they were opened to two different roms so I don't understand how they would use the same .txt log file. From looking at the log folder it seems the .txts are generated from the base rom name and they were named differently. Also, I was using the pokemon sprite editor plugin. I might be doing something wrong when changing the palettes.


Whenever I get the first error I usually just keep clicking continue and save until it doesn't give me that error anymore. Something on my computer might be causing slowdown. :<

edit: Just tried it with only one instance running and it gives the same Used by another process error. I'm going to try it on a virtual machine to see if it's my computer.

edit 2: Ran it on VM with windows XP and I still get the same error. How long does it take for the program to get done using the rom log file?
OK, I rewrote how log files are handled in NSE. Just download the newest version Beta 2.0.2, If you haven't used NSE today, it should say there is an update.

Hopefully this fixes the problem.
__________________
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:06 AM.