Progressing ROM Hacks This forum is for ROM hacks which are currently in production, but not yet finished. Come and find a ROM hack that's starting out, or post your own for others to see! For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #76    
Old July 9th, 2011 (10:37 PM). Edited July 9th, 2011 by Spherical Ice.
Spherical Ice's Avatar
Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is online now
  • Moderator
  • Silver Tier
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bristol, UK
Age: 19
Posts: 5,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilava's Master View Post
I just got through playing this and here's my review:
It's a very good hack, filled with unique features and ideas. I especially like that you didn't change the graphics too much. I prefer FR Style graphics over any other tbh. I really loved the whole Under Forest Concept. It looked amazing, with quite a bit of Makuhita [who I love!]. There were about 5 glitches I encountered and I've uploaded screenshots of them. I can't wait for the next beta/release so we can see some custom sprites/overworlds.


[House on the far-right in Ao City] The warp brought me directly to the table.

Self-explanatory; Also you can't walk on the shaded tiles beneath the wall.

The door animation is discolored.

My Lapras left me =[
I had no choice but to challenge the leader with only one live Pokemon and the Egg. Needless to say I lost.

May not be an error, just weird that she's facing down yet you can't talk to her directly while she's facing down.
I'm glad to know you enjoyed it! All the errors have been duly fixed, except for the door, which I've still got to work on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgj View Post
So i tested your hack for about 5 mins and all i have to say is you did a good job (5 mins due to fastforward on gpsp on psp)
Well...did you really understand any of it? Because when I played through there was at least 2 hours of gameplay at normal speed. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisharp View Post
Lol, yeah, I had the same glitch. xD
I assumed it was the one to use too, mine is working now because I got a diff. rom.


Plus, I found a text error.




Wait, who's Prof. Oak? He's not supposed to be in here!
Ah yes, I completely forgot that part. I'll be editing it.

--

After hopping on the SS Sonic, which'll be shown soon, I returned to Coral Town to find that Alyssa's flower shop now has plenty of seeds!
It also helps because a large ditch has appeared on Route 3 and I think there's some pretty awesome treasure on the other side.

__________________

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.

Relevant Advertising!

  #77    
Old July 10th, 2011 (12:16 PM).
Bisharp's Avatar
Bisharp Bisharp is offline
Whoa.. up close and personal..!
     
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Location: Nashville, Tennessee
    Age: 18
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Timid
    Posts: 55
    S.S. Sonic?...
    Since when did Sonic the Hedgehog become a boat? Jk, Jk. I couldn't help but think that. xD
    __________________

    My dA | Discord is Noctis#6160 (aka Lumi in PC Discord)| I really like Bisharp
      #78    
    Old July 10th, 2011 (3:39 PM).
    Desukān's Avatar
    Desukān Desukān is offline
    Coffin Pokémon
       
      Join Date: Jul 2011
      Location: Tokyo, Japan
      Age: 25
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Jolly
      Posts: 12
      I'm sad... I can't get the egg...
      __________________

      Beware the wrath of デスカーン
        #79    
      Old July 10th, 2011 (10:24 PM).
      Spherical Ice's Avatar
      Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is online now
      • Moderator
      • Silver Tier
       
      Join Date: Nov 2007
      Location: Bristol, UK
      Age: 19
      Posts: 5,180
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Desukān View Post
      I'm sad... I can't get the egg...
      How come? You could at least explain it...>:
      __________________

      A Pokemon that is discriminated!
      Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
        #80    
      Old July 11th, 2011 (1:09 AM).
      Chimchar 9's Avatar
      Chimchar 9 Chimchar 9 is offline
      (:
      • Silver Tier
       
      Join Date: Jan 2008
      Location: England, London
      Age: 23
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Calm
      Posts: 1,618
      How do you come up with these random but good features? It looks awesome. (;
      Good luck!
      __________________
      Pokemon Green Diamond
      Status: cancelled
        #81    
      Old July 11th, 2011 (5:08 AM).
      Sarcastic Prince's Avatar
      Sarcastic Prince Sarcastic Prince is offline
      Starting anew...
         
        Join Date: Aug 2007
        Location: Kwun Tong Mountains
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Timid
        Posts: 3,066
        Nice. But have you considered in doing decapitalization?
        I feel really uncomfortable reading all those capitalized text.
        __________________
        I am now an anime dubber, cover singer and a fan of anime. I can still apply as a translator and grammar corrector, though.
          #82    
        Old July 11th, 2011 (6:24 AM).
        Spherical Ice's Avatar
        Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is online now
        • Moderator
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Nov 2007
        Location: Bristol, UK
        Age: 19
        Posts: 5,180
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Chimchar 9 View Post
        How do you come up with these random but good features? It looks awesome. (;
        Good luck!
        I dunno. Thanks.

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Sarcastic Prince View Post
        Nice. But have you considered in doing decapitalization?
        I feel really uncomfortable reading all those capitalized text.
        Yes, I have considered it. No, I'm not doing it. And no amount of persuasion will make me want to, so don't attempt. :)
        __________________

        A Pokemon that is discriminated!
        Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
          #83    
        Old July 11th, 2011 (5:01 PM).
        Sarcastic Prince's Avatar
        Sarcastic Prince Sarcastic Prince is offline
        Starting anew...
           
          Join Date: Aug 2007
          Location: Kwun Tong Mountains
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Timid
          Posts: 3,066
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post

          Yes, I have considered it. No, I'm not doing it. And no amount of persuasion will make me want to, so don't attempt.
          OK. That's fine by me. So, I've played through your hack,
          and I have a few bugs to report.

          Spoiler:





          Instead of "it possible", you should make the Hiker say, "it's possible".


          Jack of Hearts appears to block the way and he has no talking script
          after the Fossil event. Maybe you forgot to set a flag there.


          Grammar error. It's "its", not "it's". You need to distinguish the differences between the two words.


          When I walk on that tile again, the Super Nerd tends to walk on the Player.
          Weird.


          Maybe you didn't notice it, but it's "eighth", not "eigth".


          So, overall, it's a pretty nice beta.
          4/5.

          I'll give you a five if it has fewer grammar and spelling errors.
          __________________
          I am now an anime dubber, cover singer and a fan of anime. I can still apply as a translator and grammar corrector, though.
            #84    
          Old July 11th, 2011 (6:38 PM).
          Quilava's Master's Avatar
          Quilava's Master Quilava's Master is offline
          Shattered Dreams '13
             
            Join Date: Jul 2007
            Nature: Adamant
            Posts: 694
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Sarcastic Prince View Post
            OK. That's fine by me. So, I've played through your hack,
            and I have a few bugs to report.

            Spoiler:





            Instead of "it possible", you should make the Hiker say, "it's possible".


            Jack of Hearts appears to block the way and he has no talking script
            after the Fossil event. Maybe you forgot to set a flag there.


            Grammar error. It's "its", not "it's". You need to distinguish the differences between the two words.


            When I walk on that tile again, the Super Nerd tends to walk on the Player.
            Weird.


            Maybe you didn't notice it, but it's "eighth", not "eigth".


            So, overall, it's a pretty nice beta.
            4/5.

            I'll give you a five if it has fewer grammar and spelling errors.
            The first and second "Errors" aren't really errors at all. The way the sentence is put together makes sense grammatically. Changing it to "I never thought it's possible" would make it grammatically incorrect, just saying.

            On topic:
            I really like the seed/plant idea. Does the hole get covered instantly or is there wait time. Also the change from purple to blue [and subsequently blue walls to yellow] in Alyssa's Flower shop is pretty sharp. Not telling you to change it, just giving my opinion.
            __________________
            The return of Pokemon Shattered Dreams! Click the screenshot to visit the thread, you know you want to.
              #85    
            Old July 11th, 2011 (6:59 PM).
            Ninja Caterpie's Avatar
            Ninja Caterpie Ninja Caterpie is offline
            Sitting by the back window
               
              Join Date: Mar 2008
              Location: Best City OCE
              Age: 21
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Bold
              Posts: 5,945
              Whoaaa Dark Cobalt! Gotta play gotta play. This really makes me want to make the real my Cobalt... @_@

              It looks very nice, Icey, and of course, you can call me if there's anything y'need.
              __________________
              Brony represent.
                #86    
              Old July 11th, 2011 (10:39 PM).
              Spherical Ice's Avatar
              Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is online now
              • Moderator
              • Silver Tier
               
              Join Date: Nov 2007
              Location: Bristol, UK
              Age: 19
              Posts: 5,180
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Sarcastic Prince View Post
              OK. That's fine by me. So, I've played through your hack,
              and I have a few bugs to report.

              Spoiler:





              Instead of "it possible", you should make the Hiker say, "it's possible".


              Jack of Hearts appears to block the way and he has no talking script
              after the Fossil event. Maybe you forgot to set a flag there.


              Grammar error. It's "its", not "it's". You need to distinguish the differences between the two words.


              When I walk on that tile again, the Super Nerd tends to walk on the Player.
              Weird.


              Maybe you didn't notice it, but it's "eighth", not "eigth".


              So, overall, it's a pretty nice beta.
              4/5.

              I'll give you a five if it has fewer grammar and spelling errors.
              Thanks, and, as for the first two, well...
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Quilava's Master View Post
              The first and second "Errors" aren't really errors at all. The way the sentence is put together makes sense grammatically. Changing it to "I never thought it's possible" would make it grammatically incorrect, just saying.

              On topic:
              I really like the seed/plant idea. Does the hole get covered instantly or is there wait time. Also the change from purple to blue [and subsequently blue walls to yellow] in Alyssa's Flower shop is pretty sharp. Not telling you to change it, just giving my opinion.
              Thanks, and it gets covered instantly - they're magic seeds. And I'm gonna change Alyssa's flower shop, it's just staying like that for now.
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Ninja Caterpie View Post
              Whoaaa Dark Cobalt! Gotta play gotta play. This really makes me want to make the real my Cobalt... @_@

              It looks very nice, Icey, and of course, you can call me if there's anything y'need.
              Hey there. :3
              Thanks!
              __________________

              A Pokemon that is discriminated!
              Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                #87    
              Old July 12th, 2011 (2:21 AM).
              Lord Varion's Avatar
              Lord Varion Lord Varion is offline
              Guess who's back?
                 
                Join Date: Feb 2009
                Age: 22
                Gender: Other
                Nature: Naughty
                Posts: 2,644
                Congrats on getting to the Hack showcase

                I played the beta there were some errors but they've already been pointed out.
                __________________
                gone.
                  #88    
                Old July 23rd, 2011 (8:15 AM).
                Spherical Ice's Avatar
                Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is online now
                • Moderator
                • Silver Tier
                 
                Join Date: Nov 2007
                Location: Bristol, UK
                Age: 19
                Posts: 5,180
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
                Congrats on getting to the Hack showcase ;)

                I played the beta there were some errors but they've already been pointed out.
                Thanks, and okay.

                Update time!


                This is the last location of the Gold Pokéballs you'll see.
                I haven't collected the other one yet





                These guys are weird to say the least.

                If you go one way from Route 4...


                And if you go the other...


                __________________

                A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                  #89    
                Old July 23rd, 2011 (10:11 AM).
                TheDarkShark TheDarkShark is offline
                Metal Headed Hacker
                   
                  Join Date: May 2010
                  Location: Germany
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Calm
                  Posts: 56
                  At the beginning of the vid I thought of Alma... ;_;
                  Why are you doing this to me? QQ

                  But seriously: I like the idea, but wouldn't it be better to use the ghost battle? If you don't want to customize it via ASM to fit your needs, you could use JPAN's hacked engine to (some sort of) keep the ghost by changing it so you battle one of the 25 unused pokemon. Just a suggestion, though.
                  Oh, and: will we be able to jump over that 1-block-canyon thing seen at the end of the video? Or will we fall down? Both ways would make awesome puzzles possible easily! The other thing I can think of at the moment would be being blocked, but that'd be too easy, right?
                  __________________
                  There are two things every Rom-Hacker should learn:
                  1. Don't give away everything you know!

                    #90    
                  Old July 23rd, 2011 (10:51 AM). Edited August 10th, 2011 by Spherical Ice.
                  Spherical Ice's Avatar
                  Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is online now
                  • Moderator
                  • Silver Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Nov 2007
                  Location: Bristol, UK
                  Age: 19
                  Posts: 5,180
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by TheDarkShark View Post
                  At the beginning of the vid I thought of Alma... ;_;
                  Why are you doing this to me? QQ

                  But seriously: I like the idea, but wouldn't it be better to use the ghost battle? If you don't want to customize it via ASM to fit your needs, you could use JPAN's hacked engine to (some sort of) keep the ghost by changing it so you battle one of the 25 unused pokemon. Just a suggestion, though.
                  Oh, and: will we be able to jump over that 1-block-canyon thing seen at the end of the video? Or will we fall down? Both ways would make awesome puzzles possible easily! The other thing I can think of at the moment would be being blocked, but that'd be too easy, right?
                  Sorry, no idea what you're talking about. ;o;

                  Thanks. I did consider using the ghost battle, and may just use it, if those working hard in Research and Development somehow manage to crack it, but using JPAN's engine is out of the question, especially this far into the hack. As for the part at the end, it is a broken bridge. With the use of a certain attack, it will be passable, but yeah, no cool puzzles there (though a puzzle involving falling etc. will be introduced in the hack, fear not).

                  Anyway, jumping back to Azure Plaza for a second...
                  Those who followed this hack before will recognise these guys - Anne Aniseed and Dan Dandelion, the news team.
                  __________________

                  A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                  Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                    #91    
                  Old July 24th, 2011 (6:16 AM).
                  TheDarkShark TheDarkShark is offline
                  Metal Headed Hacker
                     
                    Join Date: May 2010
                    Location: Germany
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Calm
                    Posts: 56
                    Considering your age, I shouldn't have talked about her. The little girl reminded me of Alma, a character from F.E.A.R., a horror-shooter.
                    Anyway: you might have looked into the hacked engine further. The ASM-code is available so you can install every single feature without using neither the patch nor the tool
                    I like the screens, by the way :D
                    __________________
                    There are two things every Rom-Hacker should learn:
                    1. Don't give away everything you know!

                      #92    
                    Old July 24th, 2011 (7:36 AM).
                    miksy91's Avatar
                    miksy91 miksy91 is offline
                    Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
                       
                      Join Date: Oct 2008
                      Location: A small country in the North
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Relaxed
                      Posts: 1,435
                      "No more gatehouses! Well, they're still there, but you don't have to actually see the inside. I always though it was useless and slowed down travelling from town to town."

                      Spoiler:

                      Actually, the reason there are so many gatehouses in FireRed is that it is the remake of Pokemon Red (which is for Game Boy). Game Boy's hardware is very limited and so, only 12 different sprites could be displayed at the same time (each map bank could only include that many sprites).

                      There are much more than 12 sprites in pokemon red though so programmers had to create a way for making the game switch the loaded spritesets (a set of 12 sprites). And, that's exactly what happens in RBY when you travel through a route gate.

                      GBA hardware can probably display all the sprites in each map so there is no purpose in having route gates. However, it wouldn't have made sense if there weren't route gates in FireRed while Red is filled with them.

                      lol, I happened to start writing about GB specifics and such :D


                      Anyways, I thought of trying the beta out and see how it is
                      __________________
                      My Rom Hack



                      Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                      CP of encountered pokemon in GO

                      Learn how to hack GB/C games:

                      Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                      -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                        #93    
                      Old July 24th, 2011 (8:03 AM).
                      Spherical Ice's Avatar
                      Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is online now
                      • Moderator
                      • Silver Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Nov 2007
                      Location: Bristol, UK
                      Age: 19
                      Posts: 5,180
                      Yeah, I know why gatehouses existed, the loading is still done in frlg, which is why I kept the building there, it's just you don't have to go inside.
                      __________________

                      A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                      Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                        #94    
                      Old July 24th, 2011 (9:02 AM).
                      miksy91's Avatar
                      miksy91 miksy91 is offline
                      Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
                         
                        Join Date: Oct 2008
                        Location: A small country in the North
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Relaxed
                        Posts: 1,435
                        I think the hack is okay, nothing that special but at least it's not 100% "gym to gym travelling". Anyways, there were a couple of minor bugs I noticed this being the one I only remember clearly though (didn't keep "notice" what had happened).

                        If you lose against Jack of H. in Under Forest and go to fight him again, the moving script for Jack of H. doesn't occur and he'll stay standing in the right corner of the screen saying all the stuff he normally does before the battle starts. You probably messed up with the flags or something...

                        Another one is at "Pewter City Pokemon Center" where a man tells you that Team Rocket is in Mt. Moon or something like that. By the way, I think you should also re-create even minor things like houses where random people live.
                        __________________
                        My Rom Hack



                        Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                        CP of encountered pokemon in GO

                        Learn how to hack GB/C games:

                        Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                        -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                          #95    
                        Old July 24th, 2011 (9:33 AM).
                        Quilava's Master's Avatar
                        Quilava's Master Quilava's Master is offline
                        Shattered Dreams '13
                           
                          Join Date: Jul 2007
                          Nature: Adamant
                          Posts: 694
                          I agree with Miksy. There were a bit too many empty houses.
                          __________________
                          The return of Pokemon Shattered Dreams! Click the screenshot to visit the thread, you know you want to.
                            #96    
                          Old July 25th, 2011 (11:51 AM).
                          Spherical Ice's Avatar
                          Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is online now
                          • Moderator
                          • Silver Tier
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2007
                          Location: Bristol, UK
                          Age: 19
                          Posts: 5,180
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
                          I think the hack is okay, nothing that special but at least it's not 100% "gym to gym travelling". Anyways, there were a couple of minor bugs I noticed this being the one I only remember clearly though (didn't keep "notice" what had happened).

                          If you lose against Jack of H. in Under Forest and go to fight him again, the moving script for Jack of H. doesn't occur and he'll stay standing in the right corner of the screen saying all the stuff he normally does before the battle starts. You probably messed up with the flags or something...
                          Thanks. Hopefully Beta 2 will have some more features that'll stand out. I really need to fix that events, I never got the movements right, but it slipped my mind somehow.

                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
                          Another one is at "Pewter City Pokemon Center" where a man tells you that Team Rocket is in Mt. Moon or something like that. By the way, I think you should also re-create even minor things like houses where random people live.
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Quilava's Master View Post
                          I agree with Miksy. There were a bit too many empty houses.
                          And I do need to redo the PCs and houses, I agree.

                          Anyway, just a small update, I've decided to not include Hoenn, and instead include a custom region, which I'm thinking will be called Fe'i. It's the part of the landmass that is reluctant to conform to the modernisation that Felith has undergone--a sideplot will take place there. Opinions?
                          __________________

                          A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                          Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                            #97    
                          Old July 25th, 2011 (12:29 PM).
                          Quilava's Master's Avatar
                          Quilava's Master Quilava's Master is offline
                          Shattered Dreams '13
                             
                            Join Date: Jul 2007
                            Nature: Adamant
                            Posts: 694
                            Aww no Hoenn pokes?! Oh well I'll live [I prefer Johto Pokemon to every other to be honest]. About the custom Pokemon, I don't mind as long as they look legit and have balanced movesets/stats
                            __________________
                            The return of Pokemon Shattered Dreams! Click the screenshot to visit the thread, you know you want to.
                              #98    
                            Old July 25th, 2011 (12:53 PM).
                            Spherical Ice's Avatar
                            Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is online now
                            • Moderator
                            • Silver Tier
                             
                            Join Date: Nov 2007
                            Location: Bristol, UK
                            Age: 19
                            Posts: 5,180
                            Um, I think you misread. I'm including Hoenn Pokémon, definitely, just not the actual Hoenn region. And the same applies for custom pokémon--it's a custom region. (There will be some fakemon eventually, though.)
                            __________________

                            A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                            Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                              #99    
                            Old July 27th, 2011 (1:10 PM).
                            Spherical Ice's Avatar
                            Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is online now
                            • Moderator
                            • Silver Tier
                             
                            Join Date: Nov 2007
                            Location: Bristol, UK
                            Age: 19
                            Posts: 5,180

                            Yeah, not much to say. :P

                            By the way, I have in the end decided to go with the JPAN's patch upon seeing the tutorial for making custom items. I plan to utilise a lot more of the features in the future, so keep an eye open for them. :3
                            __________________

                            A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                            Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                              #100    
                            Old July 27th, 2011 (2:49 PM).
                            DrFuji's Avatar
                            DrFuji DrFuji is offline
                            Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                            • Crystal Tier
                             
                            Join Date: Sep 2009
                            Location: Downia-upside
                            Age: 24
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Jolly
                            Posts: 1,328
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post



                            Yeah, not much to say. :P

                            By the way, I have in the end decided to go with the JPAN's patch upon seeing the tutorial for making custom items. I plan to utilise a lot more of the features in the future, so keep an eye open for them. :3
                            Wow, I really love the dark pallet you used in Ash Tunnel, and Ash Town look pretty unique as well. There is a small tile error in your second Ash Tunnel screenshot - The rock wall above the ladder is meant to go over regular ground, rather than sand (if you know what I mean). Heatran's OW looks perfect and I can't wait to see him in battle :>

                            Anyway, this hack is looking as awesome as a Spheal :D
                            __________________
                            Closed Thread
                            Quick Reply

                            Sponsored Links
                            Thread Tools

                            Posting Rules
                            You may not post new threads
                            You may not post replies
                            You may not post attachments
                            You may not edit your posts

                            BB code is On
                            Smilies are On
                            [IMG] code is On
                            HTML code is Off

                            Forum Jump


                            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:20 PM.