Progressing ROM Hacks This forum is for ROM hacks which are currently in production, but not yet finished. Come and find a ROM hack that's starting out, or post your own for others to see! For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #201    
Old May 8th, 2013 (4:09 PM).
Varion Bluefire's Avatar
Varion Bluefire Varion Bluefire is offline
A.K.A The Glitch
     
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Age: 22
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Naughty
    Posts: 662
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
    Dat lava...
    Can we surf on it? xD
    You know... "The lava is deep red, would you like to surf" :D
    ''The lava is deep red, would you like to burn"

    Regardless, that screen looks amazing! <3
    __________________

    Just strollin' to my next destination...

    Relevant Advertising!

      #202    
    Old May 8th, 2013 (7:34 PM).
    cottageboy789 cottageboy789 is offline
       
      Join Date: May 2013
      Posts: 3
      I just discovered ROM hacks. I thought this would be a solid place to start. One question, how complete is this? Literally just started me playthrough, and I'm in awe of what people can do. Keep up the good work!
        #203    
      Old May 11th, 2013 (2:17 AM).
      Spherical Ice's Avatar
      Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is offline
      • Moderator
      • Silver Tier
       
      Join Date: Nov 2007
      Location: Bristol, UK
      Age: 19
      Posts: 5,183
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by galooloo View Post
      Spherical. Wow man wdf!!! This hack is so Damm smexy! I've never said that before, ut i'd LOVE to help you!!! Just Pm me and tell me what to do W0W! I guess you saw my topic 'bout my hack and i hope you like the music cuz i can help you with everything you want about music editing. Fufufu (as like maxie says usually). Sorry about my grammar - im writing dat from my galaxy cuz there's no battery on my ipod... P.s I've some advices about that devon world ;)))
      Thanks man!

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
      Dat lava...
      Can we surf on it? xD
      You know... "The lava is deep red, would you like to surf" :D
      Well... It would be cool but I've already scripted something else - albeit a lot less badass. Haha, thanks!

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by ForeverDash View Post
      this hack just keeps getting better and better :]
      ;)

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Pinkish Purple View Post
      I love your consistency of updating! That is one badass looking screenie there. I'm guessing we can lava surf, like in light platinum, to get to the heatran. Keep on amazing us, Spherical! Rock on!
      Like I said to Ash493, I haven't added lava surfing though it is a funny idea. Thanks!

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Varion View Post
      ''The lava is deep red, would you like to burn"

      Regardless, that screen looks amazing! <3
      Haha, thanks man.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by cottageboy789 View Post
      I just discovered ROM hacks. I thought this would be a solid place to start. One question, how complete is this? Literally just started me playthrough, and I'm in awe of what people can do. Keep up the good work!
      Well, the only beta I've release which is sorely outdated and glitchy is three gyms long, the one I'm working on and haven't released yet - the one which the most recent posts are for - is going to be around four gyms long and spans half of Felith and parts of Hoenn. It is nearing completion, too, so be patient guys!

      Anyway, on Wednesday I realised that my hack had a serious glitch which froze the game when the Pokédex was opened.

      Today, I fixed it! I'm super happy I didn't have to restart, but it means all I have to show are these cool overworlds I inserted :D



      Also, on the topic of Raikou Entei and Suicune, here's the (current, I'll probably end up changing it) titlescreen for Dark Cobalt.

      __________________

      A Pokemon that is discriminated!
      Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
        #204    
      Old May 11th, 2013 (8:15 AM). Edited May 11th, 2013 by miksy91.
      miksy91's Avatar
      miksy91 miksy91 is offline
      Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
         
        Join Date: Oct 2008
        Location: A small country in the North
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Relaxed
        Posts: 1,435
        Once again, I'm liking what I see here.

        Some suggestions though!

        I assume the "bank-thingy" works so that you can choose from a multichoice option, "Do you want to Withdraw, Deposit or Quit?" and depending on what you choose, possibly ask "How much do you want to withdraw/deposit?" and you can choose an option from a list (like $100, $500, $2000 or such).

        This would be quite difficult to do, but maybe you could program it so, it actually displays a text box on the screen which always shows $xxyyzz (and in the beginning of it, xxyyzz = 0).
        You can increase this value (xxyyzz) by pushing Down button, and decrease it by pushing Up button. And also, include a check for letting you not increase the value to a value that's too big (> current amount of money held by player if depositing for instance) and such. Also, the value couldn't be decreased past 0.

        You could implement it with a loop;
        The game would always check a value in I/O ("input/output ram, this is where button presses are stored), and if this value matches with [Up], increase the value, if it matches with [Down], decrease, ..., if [A] --> Do the change.

        It actually even wouldn't be that difficult to accomplish. You could ask for some more experienced GBA hackers for help if you're interested in implementing it like this.
        But this is only a suggestion, but would certainly make the bank feature more "refreshing".

        Also another thing. I read the storyline in the main post and see you've a special reason for Suicune, Entei and Raikou there. How about letting Team Aura actually succeed in their plans? Those guys could be good. After all, even though the brother of the main character is a champion, that doesn't mean the main character should be able to defeat Team Aura all by himself (although, all Gamefreak's pokemon games seem to follow this same line).

        Instead of having to become the champion, beating the Elite Four could be an additional sidequest but the in the end, the main character would end up having to forestall some total catastrophe caused by these three items being united.


        Anyways, the "thing" is actually about thinking, "What if...?" instead of the regular pokemon storyline idea.
        What I'm trying to say here is that you're making a pokemon hack. So when people download your hack, they expect to play a game with new maps, scripts and storyline. But in the end, it's all about catching some pokemon they like, training them, beating gyms and becoming the "pokemon champion".

        The hack, then again, can be something totally different! So instead of thinking, "At this point of the game, the main player is going to defeat Team Rocket once and for all.", "What if Team Rocket's leading members actually defeat the main character instead?". By including events such as this, that totally depart from the way the player would think the events turn out, will give you the possibility to let the storyline play out way differently.

        This was just one example of course. But anyway, always think "What if...?" or "Is there another way apart from the "usual routine" this event could play out?". Going for the different paths will often lead into better results. But overdoing it can be bad too of course.
        __________________
        My Rom Hack



        Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
        CP of encountered pokemon in GO

        Learn how to hack GB/C games:

        Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
        -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
          #205    
        Old May 11th, 2013 (8:36 AM).
        Spherical Ice's Avatar
        Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is offline
        • Moderator
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Nov 2007
        Location: Bristol, UK
        Age: 19
        Posts: 5,183
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
        Once again, I'm liking what I see here.
        Thanks!

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
        I assume the "bank-thingy" works so that you can choose from a multichoice option, "Do you want to Withdraw, Deposit or Quit?" and depending on what you choose, possibly ask "How much do you want to withdraw/deposit?" and you can choose an option from a list (like $100, $500, $2000 or such).

        This would be quite difficult to do, but maybe you could program it so, it actually displays a text box on the screen which always shows $xxyyzz (and in the beginning of it, xxyyzz = 0).
        You can increase this value (xxyyzz) by pushing Down button, and decrease it by pushing Up button. And also, include a check for letting you not increase the value to a value that's too big (> current amount of money held by player if depositing for instance) and such. Also, the value couldn't be decreased past 0.

        You could implement it with a loop;
        The game would always check a value in I/O ("input/output ram, this is where button presses are stored), and if this value matches with [Up], increase the value, if it matches with [Down], decrease, ..., if [A] --> Do the change.

        It actually even wouldn't be that difficult to accomplish. You could ask for some more experienced GBA hackers for help if you're interested in implementing it like this.
        But this is only a suggestion, but would certainly make the bank feature more "refreshing".
        I've actually been thinking of changing the bank script because a) the script has unnecessarily long parts, b) the player can exploit the checks it has in place and c) it would be cool to have some form of interest.

        DavidJCobb has made a hack which allows you to alter values directly using an arrow to edit the units, tens, hundreds, etc., so it wouldn't be too hard to implement either. It's an interesting idea.

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
        Also another thing. I read the storyline in the main post and see you've a special reason for Suicune, Entei and Raikou there. How about letting Team Aura actually succeed in their plans? Those guys could be good.
        They may not be evil, but their methods are unorthodox. The only information you're fed about Team Aura is by your "rival", after all, and he is an ex-member of the team.

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
        After all, even though the brother of the main character is a champion, that doesn't mean the main character should be able to defeat Team Aura all by himself (although, all Gamefreak's pokemon games seem to follow this same line).
        Well, as I said, you "take down" Team Aura with the help of your "rival", so it isn't really alone.

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
        Instead of having to become the champion, beating the Elite Four could be an additional sidequest but the in the end, the main character would end up having to forestall some total catastrophe caused by these three items being united.
        The way I've planned it is that you are defeating the Gyms to become stronger - to train.
        __________________

        A Pokemon that is discriminated!
        Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
          #206    
        Old May 11th, 2013 (1:02 PM).
        miksy91's Avatar
        miksy91 miksy91 is offline
        Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
           
          Join Date: Oct 2008
          Location: A small country in the North
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 1,435
          Okay, I see. All in all, that was one tacky response from me though, sorry about that. I kinda remembered you were somewhat out of ideas related to the previous post when you replied to me about the Virtopia so I just felt like taking that up.

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
          I've actually been thinking of changing the bank script because a) the script has unnecessarily long parts, b) the player can exploit the checks it has in place and c) it would be cool to have some form of interest.


          DavidJCobb has made a hack which allows you to alter values directly using an arrow to edit the units, tens, hundreds, etc., so it wouldn't be too hard to implement either. It's an interesting idea.
          Yeah, that sounds like a nice way for making it work in the game. Also, it's indeed better to try to fit in long subroutines in smaller ones, and that way, organizing them better.

          Especially if you're programming something bigger, just doing it without a preliminary plan of "how this part of the routine is going to work exactly?", and "what instructions do I need for making it run properly?", will only lead into total mess.
          This is something I know from experience :D

          (Btw, I was trying to quote to "a)" there)
          __________________
          My Rom Hack



          Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
          CP of encountered pokemon in GO

          Learn how to hack GB/C games:

          Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
          -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
            #207    
          Old May 11th, 2013 (3:11 PM).
          minime010's Avatar
          minime010 minime010 is offline
          All food belongs to me.
             
            Join Date: May 2010
            Location: In the Witch City!
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Gentle
            Posts: 229
            Is there a download at all yet? Maybe I missed something while looking through the pages.
            __________________


            ---Minime010---

            Attempting to get back into ROM Hacking.
              #208    
            Old May 13th, 2013 (9:25 AM). Edited May 13th, 2013 by Spherical Ice.
            Spherical Ice's Avatar
            Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is offline
            • Moderator
            • Silver Tier
             
            Join Date: Nov 2007
            Location: Bristol, UK
            Age: 19
            Posts: 5,183
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
            Especially if you're programming something bigger, just doing it without a preliminary plan of "how this part of the routine is going to work exactly?", and "what instructions do I need for making it run properly?", will only lead into total mess.
            This is something I know from experience :D

            (Btw, I was trying to quote to "a)" there)
            Good advice, thanks!

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by minime010 View Post
            Is there a download at all yet? Maybe I missed something while looking through the pages.
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
            Well, the only beta I've release which is sorely outdated and glitchy is three gyms long, the one I'm working on and haven't released yet - the one which the most recent posts are for - is going to be around four gyms long and spans half of Felith and parts of Hoenn. It is nearing completion, too, so be patient guys!


            Quick question, do you guys think I should change this hack to just Cobalt?

            The edgy "Dark" prefix was because, originally, I was going to make a second version, called Light Cyan. Now, it doesn't really make sense, and I'm seeing a tonne of "Dark Something" hacks and its become a really tacky fad to be honest. This hack isn't particularly gritty, or edgy, so I think the "Dark" prefix is kind of...useless.

            Do you guys think I should keep it as Dark Cobalt, rename it to Cobalt, or use a new, more relevant name? I'm interested in your feedback!

            I feel like I need to constantly barrage you with screenshots so you believe I'm still working. Have some move tutors.





            __________________

            A Pokemon that is discriminated!
            Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
              #209    
            Old May 13th, 2013 (10:09 AM).
            giradialkia's Avatar
            giradialkia giradialkia is offline
            • Crystal Tier
             
            Join Date: Apr 2009
            Location: Ireland
            Age: 23
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Timid
            Posts: 1,563
            I would say a name change wouldn't do any harm- if it doens't make sense, then what's the point in having it? Furthermore, a lot of people feel the need to use two words as names for the hacks they make- overlooking the fact, perhaps, that only remakes have two words in their names (in order to distinguish them from the originals, of course).

            I think Cobalt would be the way to go, unless you have an idea that would be more relevant to the hack? :)
            __________________

            I'm working on an album of Pokémon-inspired music. Check out the Soundcloud link if you're interested!


            This is my Soundcloud | | This is my bandcamp
              #210    
            Old May 13th, 2013 (12:05 PM). Edited May 13th, 2013 by miksy91.
            miksy91's Avatar
            miksy91 miksy91 is offline
            Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
               
              Join Date: Oct 2008
              Location: A small country in the North
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Relaxed
              Posts: 1,435
              Yeah, I agree with gira. "Dark" as a prefix would make no sense so "Cobalt" as its own would be better, yet it's too unexciting I think.

              If the name "Cobalt" has no particular meaning behind it, I'd say, change the name to something totally different - something that would be descriptive (= "maybe give a little bit of background information about the story?"), and sound interesting.

              Spoiler:

              The name of my own hack comes from the fact it's a pokemon hack and has something to do with dark energy. Being very uncreative here, but the name "works" - it's descriptive, and sounds interesting.


              Whether or not the name is descriptive isn't a big deal though. But if the name of a hack is uncreative, it already gives people the feeling that the contents of this hack is uncreative as well.
              __________________
              My Rom Hack



              Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
              CP of encountered pokemon in GO

              Learn how to hack GB/C games:

              Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
              -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                #211    
              Old May 13th, 2013 (2:54 PM).
              Varion Bluefire's Avatar
              Varion Bluefire Varion Bluefire is offline
              A.K.A The Glitch
                 
                Join Date: Apr 2013
                Age: 22
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Naughty
                Posts: 662
                I'd agree with going with Cobalt, on the terms of adding an extra word seems more like a remake or a sequel.
                __________________

                Just strollin' to my next destination...
                  #212    
                Old May 13th, 2013 (5:35 PM).
                Forbidden1's Avatar
                Forbidden1 Forbidden1 is offline
                csgo
                   
                  Join Date: Sep 2008
                  Posts: 107
                  are you still going to implement fakemons? they looked really good.
                    #213    
                  Old May 18th, 2013 (8:51 AM).
                  Pinkish Purple's Avatar
                  Pinkish Purple Pinkish Purple is offline
                  五代目水影
                  • Silver Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2012
                  Location: Kirigakure
                  Age: 18
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Naughty
                  Posts: 368
                  Not good at name suggestions, you so I'm not gonna go there. Anyways, is petal dance a custom move? Sorry if I sound stupid now, do much about fire red. #LikeABimbo
                  __________________
                    #214    
                  Old May 18th, 2013 (9:58 AM).
                  Spherical Ice's Avatar
                  Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is offline
                  • Moderator
                  • Silver Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Nov 2007
                  Location: Bristol, UK
                  Age: 19
                  Posts: 5,183
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by giradialkia View Post
                  I would say a name change wouldn't do any harm- if it doens't make sense, then what's the point in having it? Furthermore, a lot of people feel the need to use two words as names for the hacks they make- overlooking the fact, perhaps, that only remakes have two words in their names (in order to distinguish them from the originals, of course).

                  I think Cobalt would be the way to go, unless you have an idea that would be more relevant to the hack? :)
                  :D
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
                  Yeah, I agree with gira. "Dark" as a prefix would make no sense so "Cobalt" as its own would be better, yet it's too unexciting I think.

                  If the name "Cobalt" has no particular meaning behind it, I'd say, change the name to something totally different - something that would be descriptive (= "maybe give a little bit of background information about the story?"), and sound interesting.

                  Spoiler:

                  The name of my own hack comes from the fact it's a pokemon hack and has something to do with dark energy. Being very uncreative here, but the name "works" - it's descriptive, and sounds interesting.


                  Whether or not the name is descriptive isn't a big deal though. But if the name of a hack is uncreative, it already gives people the feeling that the contents of this hack is uncreative as well.
                  I see what you mean but I think I'm going to stick with Cobalt because there isn't really a catchy way to summarise the story.

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Varion View Post
                  I'd agree with going with Cobalt, on the terms of adding an extra word seems more like a remake or a sequel.
                  Definitely part of my reasoning.

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Forbidden1 View Post
                  are you still going to implement fakemons? they looked really good.
                  There are some fakemon already implemented though I am considering releasing two versions, one with and one without fakemon because in general people either love or hate fakemon.
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Pinkish Purple View Post
                  Not good at name suggestions, you so I'm not gonna go there. Anyways, is petal dance a custom move? Sorry if I sound stupid now, do much about fire red. #LikeABimbo :)
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
                  Petal Dance (Japanese: はなびらのまい Petal Dance) is a damage-dealing Grass-type move introduced in Generation I. It was the signature move of Oddish and Gloom in that Generation.
                  It's not even a new move, lol.



                  Stuff is going well, I'm kind of stumped on how to change which map the SS Sonic will send the Player - I don't want to really use tacky methods so I'm going to continue research (help would be appreciated though).
                  __________________

                  A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                  Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                    #215    
                  Old May 19th, 2013 (9:58 PM).
                  or19937's Avatar
                  or19937 or19937 is offline
                  Keep calm & BURN IT WITH FIRE!
                     
                    Join Date: Nov 2007
                    Location: Israel
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Lonely
                    Posts: 89
                    I'm speechless.
                    This hack looks amazing!
                    Can't wait for beta 1!
                    __________________
                      #216    
                    Old May 20th, 2013 (12:30 AM).
                    Aemirch's Avatar
                    Aemirch Aemirch is offline
                    Hobbler
                       
                      Join Date: May 2013
                      Location: Greece
                      Posts: 28
                      Hey, just passing by to give you a heads up and good luck with continuing this, you made it this far, and thus far it is great. And if you, by any chance, need some kind of funky sprite, you know where to find me.
                      __________________
                      WIP
                        #217    
                      Old May 22nd, 2013 (8:10 AM).
                      L0RD G3NGAR's Avatar
                      L0RD G3NGAR L0RD G3NGAR is offline
                      • Silver Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Apr 2013
                      Location: Canada
                      Age: 19
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 849
                      I really want to play it, but there isn't a beta. Anyways it seems like a cool game.
                      __________________
                      Looking to start beta testing Rom hacks again :D
                        #218    
                      Old May 26th, 2013 (1:37 AM).
                      piotr766 piotr766 is offline
                         
                        Join Date: May 2013
                        Gender: Male
                        Posts: 2
                        When will you release the beta version? I can't wait!
                          #219    
                        Old May 27th, 2013 (8:52 AM). Edited May 27th, 2013 by Spherical Ice.
                        Spherical Ice's Avatar
                        Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is offline
                        • Moderator
                        • Silver Tier
                         
                        Join Date: Nov 2007
                        Location: Bristol, UK
                        Age: 19
                        Posts: 5,183
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by or19937 View Post
                        I'm speechless.
                        This hack looks amazing!
                        Can't wait for beta 1!
                        Thanks dude!

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Aemirch View Post
                        Hey, just passing by to give you a heads up and good luck with continuing this, you made it this far, and thus far it is great. And if you, by any chance, need some kind of funky sprite, you know where to find me.
                        Thanks man, I'll be sure to take up that offer if I need to :3

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Flamebot View Post
                        I really want to play it, but there isn't a beta. Anyways it seems like a cool game.
                        I'm sorry man, I don't want to rush the release - it's getting there though!

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by piotr766 View Post
                        When will you release the beta version? I can't wait!
                        I can't wait either, hopefully it'll be out soon!

                        I decided to give in and just use the tacky method for the boat warp thing:

                        I've completely ported Route 114 / Arbor Pass, complete with all the Trainers that were there before - with stronger, evolved teams, of course - and some new faces are there as well so its not too similar to the original.


                        And I've done some scripting for the next major event - the first event in Hoenn, too.

                        __________________

                        A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                        Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                          #220    
                        Old May 27th, 2013 (11:08 AM).
                        Dimebag's Avatar
                        Dimebag Dimebag is offline
                        Master Of Reality
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2011
                          Location: Sky Valley
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Gentle
                          Posts: 588
                          :Ο Hoenn included ??? Souns great !!! Gen III starters are another cool addition ( my favorite ones ) and these new screens are awesome ! Keep it up !!!
                            #221    
                          Old May 27th, 2013 (12:22 PM).
                          Varion Bluefire's Avatar
                          Varion Bluefire Varion Bluefire is offline
                          A.K.A The Glitch
                             
                            Join Date: Apr 2013
                            Age: 22
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Naughty
                            Posts: 662
                            Sweeet! I love hoenn.

                            Also, one question: Does this take place after the Events of RSE?
                            __________________

                            Just strollin' to my next destination...
                              #222    
                            Old May 28th, 2013 (10:33 AM).
                            playplayj's Avatar
                            playplayj playplayj is offline
                            TheArchangle
                               
                              Join Date: Feb 2012
                              Location: Under your bed
                              Gender: Male
                              Posts: 87
                              Looks like a great game but I hate fakemon...
                              __________________
                                #223    
                              Old May 28th, 2013 (2:01 PM).
                              Spherical Ice's Avatar
                              Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is offline
                              • Moderator
                              • Silver Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Nov 2007
                              Location: Bristol, UK
                              Age: 19
                              Posts: 5,183
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by gam3r! View Post
                              :Ο Hoenn included ??? Souns great !!! Gen III starters are another cool addition ( my favorite ones ) and these new screens are awesome ! Keep it up ;) !!!
                              Thank you dude!

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Varion View Post
                              Sweeet! I love hoenn.

                              Also, one question: Does this take place after the Events of RSE?
                              It takes place after - it has to, because in RSE there was no Felith Port connecting the two regions. There are some references to the plot of RSE but it's not central to the main story/game.
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by playplayj View Post
                              Look's like a great hack, unfortunately I hate fakemon so I won't be playing it :(
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by playplayj View Post
                              Looks like a great game but I hate fakemon...
                              Repitition aside, I have been considering releasing two separate versions, one with fakemon and one with official Pokémon, because the Pokémon community in general seems to be split on hating/liking fakemon. Is that a good idea?
                              __________________

                              A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                              Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                                #224    
                              Old May 28th, 2013 (6:52 PM).
                              Aemirch's Avatar
                              Aemirch Aemirch is offline
                              Hobbler
                                 
                                Join Date: May 2013
                                Location: Greece
                                Posts: 28
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
                                Repitition aside, I have been considering releasing two separate versions, one with fakemon and one with official Pokémon, because the Pokémon community in general seems to be split on hating/liking fakemon. Is that a good idea?
                                Depends. Who do you hack for? The community, or yourself?
                                __________________
                                WIP
                                  #225    
                                Old May 28th, 2013 (11:14 PM).
                                miksy91's Avatar
                                miksy91 miksy91 is offline
                                Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
                                   
                                  Join Date: Oct 2008
                                  Location: A small country in the North
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Relaxed
                                  Posts: 1,435
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
                                  Repitition aside, I have been considering releasing two separate versions, one with fakemon and one with official Pokémon, because the Pokémon community in general seems to be split on hating/liking fakemon. Is that a good idea?
                                  One version with fakemon but make the hack so "live thing" that haters won't even care.

                                  First reaction of those who don't like fakemon, for one odd reason or another, is just seeing that there are fakemon in the hack and then turn away from it. But if you succeed in making the hack so good that it will be a "thing", everyone is bound to recognize it, no matter does it contain fakemon or not.

                                  No, it wouldn't be impossible to make this so good. In fact, I'd see it being rather easy considering what kind of hacks are in player's favour around here...

                                  On the other hand, you could also conceal the appearance of fakemon in the game, and not mention a thing about them in the thread. If someone is pissed off for seeing one, after seeing lots of interesting events made from scratch, and cancels playing the game because of it, it's his/her problem.


                                  Anyway, looking at it from another perspective, if I was in your shoes and knew "my" hack doesn't need fakemon in it, I wouldn't add them in either. No changes, which could make several people dislike the game, shouldn't exist if they don't enhance the gameplay in any way, or serve for any special purpose.

                                  But still, if you have made fakemon for the hack and added some in, I wouldn't start removing them from the game anymore. Yep, they may not be there for any special reason so having them there may be pointless, but if some people really quit playing your hack because of them being around, they deserve having to do that then.
                                  __________________
                                  My Rom Hack



                                  Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                                  CP of encountered pokemon in GO

                                  Learn how to hack GB/C games:

                                  Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                                  -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                                  Closed Thread
                                  Quick Reply

                                  Sponsored Links
                                  Thread Tools

                                  Posting Rules
                                  You may not post new threads
                                  You may not post replies
                                  You may not post attachments
                                  You may not edit your posts

                                  BB code is On
                                  Smilies are On
                                  [IMG] code is On
                                  HTML code is Off

                                  Forum Jump


                                  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:11 PM.