• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Dusk (working on a better name)

Gigalith

Sturdy- Negates 1 hit KO's
    Years
    Well this is my first Pokemon fanfic and i need feedback on it before i post it somewhere else. I think people here give good feedback. So...why not post it here. I also posted on here in a rush me being new and all so there probablly will be tons of mistakes... I could have just checked it over instead of writing this

Rated T
    Anyways hope you enjoy the story feedback will be appreciated.

Chapter 1: Dusk

I mustered up all my courage to ask a question I always meant to, "Mom" This was my only chance "Can I go on a Pokemon journey"

My family had never been great fans of Pokemon they wanted me to stay home and become the typical businessman and take on the family rice company. Like every other child of my age I wanted to go explore the wild with Pokemon on my side, challenging gyms, defeating the league single handedly and become the Champion.

"What?!" I took a huge step back There goes my chance. "What did she say to you?" my mother yelled. After a better analysis of the situation I discovered my mom was yelling into the phone. My mother had been very self conscious of her social reputation and was literally always on the phone.

"Mom, can I go on a Pokemon journey?" I repeated

"Oh, yeah sure be back home before dinner. Now if I was there I would have said the same thing except louder!" my mother burst into laughter. I ran back into my room to gather items I would need. While gathering my items I was thinking about what I would have done if my mother was more conscious of her surroundings, there would have been no journey.

I was taking 10,000 poke with me the money was given to me on several occasions and had build up very fast. I also had several Pokeballs which I had bought on my birthday because I thought I could take them apart and find out how Pokemon were stored in them and make my own Pokeballs, like any other child I had given up seconds later. I also had a map of Sinnoh to help make my travels easier. Once I had double checked everything I shoved everything into my bag.

I left my room and sneaked out the front door. My first Pokemon would probably be something amazing like a Gyarados or Aerodactyl heck I might get a Garchomp!

I had just "ran away" from home but the merry atmosphere of Jubilife was very uplifting especially during the evening. Every one would be standing outside chatting with friends playing games or doing nothing at all. I headed towards one of the cotton candy stalls to buy some candy. After that I Headed towards the PokeMart to buy goods I would use on my travels.

Once I arrived at the store I bought potions, status healers and pokemon food.

"Hey, Kid" I turned around and saw the clerk staring at me " would you like to have your pokemon try this new brand of pokemon food?"

"Ummm..." I had just realized I possessed no pokemon and here I was buying items used solely for pokemon. "No- I mean no thanks" my voice couldn't hide my epiphany the clerk burst into laughter as well as other people nearby. I paid for the items and ran out of the mart.

I walked aimlessly around the city not sure what to do. I needed a pokemon but where could I get one I couldn't just catch a pokemon I needed to weaken it first and the capture it using a pokeball, or I could use a special pokeball like a Duskball to capture weak pokemon at night.

It was almost dusk and I still hadn't left the city which I had to do fast or my parents would notice and search for me. I decided to buy a Duskball and try my luck.
    I headed in once the previous clerk had left and bought a Duskball and left. That was when I had another epiphany.

There was a local ghost who was used to scare children. They said that if you cry at night a ghost will appear and haunt you. Most people didn't believe this but recently it had been proven that the ghost existed. Due to teenage girls weeping at night about their reputation the ghost had appeared and seemed to enjoy the crying of children, the ghost was even caught on tape. All you could see was its back which had bones aranged in an X.

All I had to do was get a kid to cry...But how would I do that? I could always slap them or insult them but I could get in a lot of trouble if caught. Maybe I could pay one of them to cry for me. It was worth a shot.

"Hey kid," I said a young boy turned around and looked at me. "You see I'm trying to catch the ghost that haunts Jubilife-"

"So?" the kid interrupted rudely.

"Let me finish" I told the kid getting annoyed "I'll pay you 100 poke if you cry as loud as you can...Ufff" the kid punched me and yelled,

"Never! If I cry then that girl over there will think I'm a wimp!" the kid yelled
    "You are a wimp" I taunted.

"Am not" he replied

"Are too" I replied familiar with this activity.

"Am not"

"Are too"

"Am not"

"Am not"

"Are too- Wait what?" the kid had fallen for it "Anyways, I'm not helping you" I felt like punching the kid even though it was unjust.

"Fine, but don't complain when the ghost comes after you..." I taunted again. The kid turned somewhat pale.

"N-n-no it won't" the kids voice was shaking. I felt bad for doing this but I had too.

"Oh. It will it always comes especially after children. I tried to do all of you a favor but you decided you didn't need my help. You think you can can handle him on your own don't you?"

"No, the ghost isn't real!" the boy screamed at me. I sighed.

"Kid you know he's out there it was all over the news when the footage was revealed... Some say the bones on his back are those of his victims" The kid was at the verge of crying and it was dusk. Just a little more. " The bones could be your's or even worse... Hers" I pointed at the girl who the boy admired.

"No,no, you're lying!"the boy screamed at me his voice wavering.

"No point arguing with you... Because you can take on a ghost" that was all I needed the boy burst into tears and ran off. I chased the boy I Could see something else coming after him. It had one red eye and was coming from in front.

The kid noticed and screamed. He ran towards me and the ghost came in my sight.
    I pressed the button on the Duskball and it enlarged. I tossed the ball at the ghost. Upon contact the ball opened up from in front and absorbed the ghost. The ball twitched several times. The button glowed signifying a successful capture.

"Here" I gave the kid 500 poke which he accepted and ran off. I walked towards the ball and picked it up. Once the kid had left I opened the Duskball. The ghost appeared a few meters in front of me.

The ghost flew through me, my stomach felt oddly cold. The ghost swooped in again from the other side. Now my whole body felt cold it was almost as if he was inside of me.

"Fufufufu" I laughed. What? How did that happen? My hands were raised and they tapped my chest. "Hmmm?!" The ghost left my body. It was wearing a mask in the shape of a skull with one red eye alternating sockets. The ghost turned around and I could see bones in an X shape on his back.

"Ummm, you need a name..." I caught him at dusk in a Duskball so why not name him "Dusk" I said.

The ghost responded by saying "Ull" I returned Dusk to his pokeball. I traveled south from Jubilife to Sandgem town. I could get a PokeDex from there and then actually start my journey.

It was noon and the trip wasn't getting any exciting. There was a neat path in the middle of the route with trees on either sides as well as the occasional Pokemon.

The Pokemon here were weak, as they couldn't even land a hit on Dusk. Dusk's ghost type attacks didn't damage the other Pokemon as well but he could use other attacks.

By the ending of the route I could see a few blue roofed houses. I picked up my pace to arrive at the town faster. Upon my arrival at Sandgem town I felt proud of myself for making it on my own all the way to Sandgem.

I strolled towards the Pokemon center which stood out like a cat amongst dogs. I headed in and was greeted by the nurse. I walked towards the counter and gave her Dusk so he could be healed from any exhaustion. The nurse returned my Pokemon to me.
    I was hoping to get the PokeDex and leave Sandgem as soon as possible so I could challenge gyms already.

I walked towards the door but lost in thought I didn't notice someone else was walking in. Both of us bumped into each other but I fell down not sturdy enough. I looked up at the person but all I could see was a silhouette with light behind him.

"Are you all right?" the person asked.

"Yes, just carelessness on my side" I got onto my feet and brushed the dust of my clothes. Dusk's pokeball was missing. I looked around and saw it on the floor behind me. I retrieved my pokeball in a rush.

"You're a trainer aren't you?" the person asked.

"Yes" I replied

"Let's battle then" the boy said.

"Sure" We walked towards a little park near the Pokemon Center. We were standing in a field opposite each other.

"Are you familiar with the rules of battling?" the person asked.

"...No" I replied feeling like a fool for not knowing the basics of battling.

"There isn't much to it, you choose your Pokemon and give them commands to take out the other Pokemon. If a Pokemon is knocked out out of the arena or faint they lose the loser then has to give the winner prize money" explained the boy "Well are you ready?"

I nodded and reached for my Duskball. "Go Dusk!" The pokeball opened up and Dusk emerged from it.
    "ULL!" Dusk said

"Go Maximus!" A red dino-duck emerged from the pokeball. "Maximus use ember!" the dino-duck shot tiny balls of fire at Dusk.

"Dusk, get out of the way!" I screamed. Dusk rolled over to the side and the flames came closer to me I ducked and avoided the hit. "Use tackle now!" I commanded Dusk ignored me and used some other sort of attack on Maximus. A purple mist shrouded Maximus. The attack made Maximus choke and damage his skin.

"Maximus use fire spin!" ordered the other boy. Maximus breathed fire while spinning in a circle getting rid of the mist. "Great now use flamethrower!" Maximus breathed fire again this time aiming for Dusk who did nothing to dodge it and took it square in the face.

"Dusk,dusk,dusk,dusk" Dusk screamed as he flew around in circles his mask had turned black, it had probably been burned by the flamethrower.

"Dusk use... Astonish!" this time Dusk obeyed my order and vanished. Maximus looked around for Dusk. Dusk reappeared behind Maximus and screamed in his ear.
    "Great. Now use night shade again" Dusk did as I had stated yet again. The mist returned and damaged Maximus until he recovered from the flinch.

"Maximus use fire punch!" Maximus's fist was shrouded in flames, it then punched Dusk in his face. A tiny explosion occurred and had knocked Dusk out. Maximus had also reached his limit and collapsed slightly after. Maximus turned red and was returned to his pokeball I did the same with Dusk. "Good battle!" the boy said

"Huh... You too" I still had trouble believing that I had tied my first battle with someone who obviously had previous battling experience.

"By the way my name's Lucas... figured we'd meet again on our journeys" Lucas said "well anyways later" he turned around and walked away. I stood their until he left my sight.

"Good job Dusk" I walked towards the Pokemon center to heal up my Pokemon. I gave the nurse my Pokemon to heal.

Once she returned she handed me the Dusk ball and said "You need to take more care of your Duskull I suggest..." I tuned out. Was my Pokemon's name really Duskull? What kind of a name had I given it! Dusk they were just the first four letters of his name... No wonder he always says Ull when I let him out from his pokeball. Well... I might as well keep the name at that to reflect on my journey when I'm older.

Last edited:

Gigalith

Sturdy- Negates 1 hit KO's
    Years
    Can anyone give me feedback because i'm planning on rewriting this chapter because it seems too fast paced to me and i didn't describe anything much at all properly... So if there any other mistakes or problems could someone point them out so it'll be easier to fix everything in one go.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    You're just in luck. I'm sitting here bored and looking for a reason to post here, so I'll give reviewing your story a shot.

One of the first things that I noticed is that you need some help with grammar, especially when it comes to punctuating dialogue. You don't punctuate your dialogue at all here when you should. Dialogue is really just the same as normal sentences, so it still needs the proper full stops, commas, question marks, exclamation marks in it.

I mustered up all my courage to ask a question I always meant to, "Mom" This was my only chance "Can I go on a Pokemon journey"
    Like here, it should be:

I mustered up all my courage to ask a question I always meant to. "Mom." This was my only chance. "Can I go on a Pokemon journey?"

You say that you posted this in a rush, which isn't something you should do. Take your time writing. Use a word processing program so you can save your work to the computer and write when you have the time. When you finish your chapter, take a few days to edit it over, reading it through for mistakes and adding/removing any parts necessary. This way, readers get your best work, and potential reviewers will know where you need improvement and what you're good at. Otherwise, it's like you didn't really try.

I will say that the chapter is fast-paced. A little too fast-paced. The main character doesn't even have a name. The family situation is just passed over with no explanation as to why the family doesn't like Pokemon or why the main character does (and why they're unfamiliar with the basics of Pokemon training). Then there's the capture of Dusk. It just seems so convenient that a Duskull (not native to Sinnoh) is around in the city and doesn't need to be battled before being caught. It kind of cheapens the scene because it's not a challenge for the main character. They just simply get their first Pokemon, which should be a special scene for a character who's waited for this to happen for a while, and move on without any difficulties.

Speaking of moving on, you say that the main character was wandering around Jubilife when it was dusk but arrived at Sandgem by noon. So either they walked all night, or you skipped over a scene that could have developed both the main character and Dusk by having them work through their first night together on the road.

I'm not going to do a full review because I'd like to see how you would rewrite the chapter without a lot of advice. Like I said, if you do that, then we'd know where you stand in your skills as a writer, and we'd know what to point out in terms of what you did well and where you need some improvement.

So yeah. If you feel the need to rewrite, do so and post, and I'll review that because it'll be your work not posted in a rush.

Back