• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Issue: Lag-spike when loading a page resource

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Every so often, when I start my browser and load PokeCommunity (saved tab), I will get a huge lag-spike for a few seconds, during which the browser hangs entirely.

I suspect that the problem occurs when loading one of the page resources, but I haven't been able to pinpoint which resource. Clearing the cache and reloading does not reproduce the problem, but that doesn't rule out a loading issue (because you can't clear the portion of the cache that Firefox keeps in RAM while a page is open).

I'm thinking it's the custom fonts specified in the skin ("The Stand Nexus") CSS. None of the page resources are large enough to cause a hang due to filesize, so it's probably file type and in that regard, the fonts are the only thing that stand out to me.

It's not a major issue or anything, but I figured I may as well report it anyway, just so the staff is aware.

Rukario

Banned
Years
I also suspect these.. It may just be a temp issue with Google, bad routing or a slow server.. It cleared up for me 2 days ago but as google uses geo-targeted servers it may still affect some of you.

we've done some page load speed tests but they are performed from various fast datacenters and show everything ok (7.5 secs or less on average) we need some way to have normal users test but I've not yet found anything..

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
Years
I'd like to third this problem, as well.

I've had several connection problems to this site in the pass few days.
(And on multiple computers and on a iphone, too.)

I don't know what's up with the servers.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
Years
should be fine now for most everyone.. if it isn't let us know, and where/how you're connecting.

I'll like to add something to the report, it seems to happen to me when the forum home is loading and takes about two to three to load at times.
I cleared my browser's cookies and cleaned it but the lag is still occurring. It's not that bad, it's just very slow is all.

Melody

Banned
Years
If you're still having problems may I suggest also that you use addons like NoScript to narrow down which third party scripts are causing the slowness? (You can block each third party script provider and see if it's one of them causing the slow load)

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Sorry for the necropost, but I've done some more digging.

A bug on Bugzilla reports a browser hang when visiting a page with TTF and EOT embedded fonts. The bug was never fixed. A commenter here (Ctrl+F for "freeze") describes the exact same behavior I have witnessed. My suspicion is that it is a bug in how Firefox handles embedded fonts in CSS, that it's been around for years, and that no one's been able to gather enough information to fix it in the browser.

(Side note: since updating Firefox after creating this thread ages ago, the bug has gotten worse. My entire computer -- everything except the cursor -- now hangs when this bug occurs, and it can often last for thirty to sixty full seconds. Nothing -- not the system menus, not Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Alt+Del -- works until the hang stops.)

The simplest and easiest fix would be to remove all embedded fonts from The Stand Nexus. Such a removal would have no ill effects, stylistic or otherwise; I could only find one single place where they're used -- font "Titillium" on the nav in the lower-right corner -- and their usage there is wholly unnecessary.

If you're still having problems may I suggest also that you use addons like NoScript to narrow down which third party scripts are causing the slowness? (You can block each third party script provider and see if it's one of them causing the slow load)
I've ruled out scripts. The Stand Nexus CSS includes a font, "Titillium", and another file on PC (museo.css) includes several fonts (but I can't tell where they're used, and I don't know if the bug affects fonts that are defined but not used).

Zet

Years
Good catch. In light of this, new options have been added to your "Edit Options" panel which allow you to fine-tune your display settings - you may elect to completely disable TrueType fonts used on PC, the custom webfonts used on PC, or both, under the "Disable Web Fonts" section of Edit Options.

I'd like for you to (somehow) test these options out. Thanks!
I'm still have noticeable lag, but it's more tolerable.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Good catch. In light of this, new options have been added to your "Edit Options" panel which allow you to fine-tune your display settings - you may elect to completely disable TrueType fonts used on PC, the custom webfonts used on PC, or both, under the "Disable Web Fonts" section of Edit Options.

I'd like for you to (somehow) test these options out. Thanks!
Thanks.

So far, the custom fonts are indeed no longer being applied with the setting on. If I experience another mega-freeze again with the setting active, I'll try to remember to contact you (since that would indicate the presence of problems not caused by fonts).

Back