• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will the Harry Potter movies ever be remade?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years

Will they ever remake Harry Potter?

The Harry Potter film franchise is a cultural and media phenomenon, and one of the biggest projects undertaken in recent (or even not-so-recent) times. It has recently ended, much to the dismay of millions of fans worldwide. But in this day of constant remaking and rebooting, is any franchise ever really over?

Now of course there is no question: the Harry Potter movies were indeed perfection and I'm sure to a lot of people the thought of ever touching them again would be sacrelige, but it would not be the first time a beloved franchise has been redone, often with surprising levels of success. Here are my questions to you:

• Do you think the Harry Potter franchise would ever be remade? (I'm thinking 20 or 30 years into the future, certainly not any time soon).
  • Would they ever be capable of the same levels of success?
  • Would you like to see them remade? If not, would you boycott the remakes?
  • Do you think a new generation of Potter fans would benefit from remakes, since they were not around for the originals?
  • Do you think the current films would ever grow stale and be unappealing to a new generation, just as older movies are often seen by us?
  • Assuming this ever came to pass, how would they go about this to seem respectful to the current fans, who may have a volatile reaction to the idea?
  • Do you think any of the stars of the current movies would come back as different characters (for instance, Rupert Grint playing Mr. Weasley)
  • If you are vehemently against the idea, is there anything that could be done which would make you OK with it?

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Well, Radcliffe's hoping that the "kids" come back as teachers 30 years from now in a potential remake.

I don't know if it's necessary or if it would be as large of a hit. The movies really started in the heat of the phenomenon and that craziness would be hard to replicate and capture again. Very zeitgeisty.

The books will be classics until the end of time, so I'm sure some film studio would want to revisit the property. But I don't think they'd want to invest the time and money to develop seven or eight films again. And I kind of don't

If they were to do it again, I'd like them to keep the cream of the crop British actors in supporting roles idea. That worked out really well. I'd like one director across the whole series and one composer for some consistency.

BareBones

The kids are all messed up.
Years
Do you think the Harry Potter franchise would ever be remade?
I believe it could but I don't necessarily believe it should.

Would they ever be capable of the same levels of success?
I doubt it.

Would you like to see them remade? If not, would you boycott the remakes?
I would not like to see them remade, however I'm not so against the ides that I would boycott it.

Do you think a new generation of Potter fans would benefit from remakes, since they were not around for the originals?
I honestly think if you're a huge fan of something you should watch the originals, but that's just my opinion.

Do you think the current films would ever grow stale and be unappealing to a new generation, just as older movies are often seen by us?
I certainly hope not.

Assuming this ever came to pass, how would they go about this to seem respectful to the current fans, who may have a volatile reaction to the idea?
I don't know. I don't think there is much of a way to be 'respectful' about it to the fans that are entirely against it.

Do you think any of the stars of the current movies would come back as different characters?
I think it would be nice if they did, definitely.

If you are vehemently against the idea, is there anything that could be done which would make you OK with it?
I'm not entirely against the idea, I just don't believe I would enjoy it as much as I enjoy the original ones. But who knows?

Years
I'm someone who liked HP, saw all the movies, read all the books, and even went to midnight showings/releases a few times, but I don't think they're classics that'll necessarily last forever and have to have remakes because they are so loved and new fans will want fresh versions. The media empires that have cashed in on Harry Potter won't want to see them become forgotten though so I wouldn't be surprised if they were already planning ahead and thinking of ways to keep fans' interest (like making a TV mini series, animated features, or something) with some eventual goal of remakes. I don't think they really warrant more movies right now and I'd rather wait to see what people feel once we're a bit more removed from them. They only just ended after all.

If remakes ever get made I'd hope they'd be done differently and without much or any nods to the existing movies. So I'd prefer if none of the current actors came back.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Like Scarf mentioned, the movies aren't something that you would consider a "classical" monument in the film industry to be remembered by for years; although it will be acknowledged for its large amount of success and fame. For one to decide that they would like to recreate the series again, they would need to make some strong decisions and would require a strong-holding cast if they actually wish to complete a new set of seven of eight movies. It's sometimes hard enough to make it to the second movie of a series, let alone seven. Not to mention, if the support and fan base for the franchise isn't as strong as it is now, then it could potentially hurt the progress of a remake. The books, however, will always remain classic and a popular reader's choice, so if it's still as popular amongst readers as it is today, then that might not be so much of an issue.

As a fan of both the books and movies, I'd say while it's always possible for a remake of the series to be done, I'd rather it remain untouched. It's just a strong bonded set of movies and books alike that doesn't need to be mended. Yes, there are some things that could have been added into the movies or other things that should not have been done, but I'm very satisfied with what we have now and would rather it remain the way it is than have someone come and recreate the series and possibly mess it up. What really made this movie for me also was the cast and how strong and well they all worked together; something that is hard to come by in most cases. This is one factor that made the movie so golden to me next to the brilliance that is JK Rowling herself.

If anything had to ever be done, I'd rather it be a continuation of the series because JK Rowling decided to continue writing with a new collection of books rather than a remake of what we have now.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I can't really see why it'd ever need to be remade. I mean sure they've remade a lot of films and they're gotten better, but Harry Potter doesn't really have any areas that need remaking. The effects are beyond our age, the actors are very good, the writing is brilliant, the storyline can't change. I guess they could remake it as a more adult or children's version? So one could become a lot more gorey and focus a lot more on the romance and sexual attraction between the characters (obviously once they're the appropriate age!) and the other would probably cut out most of the violence and make everything seem more... Accessible? But who knows, it could be a pretty cool thing to do. Personally I would watch them to see what it's like, but I don't think it could ever replace the current series of films... If they do remake them, they certainly shouldn't re-use any actors/actresses since it'd just seem unimaginative; they could possibly do a couple cameos from old actors though for "the lols". :p

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
I'm not against this idea or anything, but I don't think this will happen. The effort needed to remake 8 movies... you see where I'm going with this. Also, the movies are fine as is, IMHO.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
I'm doubting they'd make a remake 20-30 years from now, maybe 50-70 years. It could take the Star Wars route. Or we could see a miniseries (CGI, anime, or real).

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'm not against this idea or anything, but I don't think this will happen. The effort needed to remake 8 movies... you see where I'm going with this. Also, the movies are fine as is, IMHO.
This is the reason why it won't happen. If there was just one Harry Potter film, then I'd still say it would be unlikely for a great number of years, but because there is a whole series to account for... it's just too much effort to do so. Nope.

Zeroblivion

Brotherhood
Years
Well, I hope so.
I have seen this pictures from a Harry Potter Wiki and it features their child, Harry Potter from 30 year and her wife, G-- I forgot it.

And, I hope Harry will be the next Albus Dumbledore as the 2nd best wizard.
Also I hope their children has "pets". I would appreciate an Owl or a Cat.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
This is the reason why it won't happen. If there was just one Harry Potter film, then I'd still say it would be unlikely for a great number of years, but because there is a whole series to account for... it's just too much effort to do so. Nope.

I actually disagree on this point. It isn't as though it would be the same people making the movies the next time around, so the effort that the current ventures took may not necessarily be that much of a factor. I think the one thing everybody is underestimating is the power of money. If people think they can make enough money from it, they'll do it in my opinion.

Whether it should happen is a different story, but I do think that one day it will. Though as RubyJB88 said, it may not be in 20-30 years time, it may be longer.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
I havent even seen most of them movies yet, their kinda interesting but not a huge fan. I think I only seen the first one. But I dont think they''ll be remade.

The money it takes to produce a move like that is well expensive, then you gotta take in all the other factors.

I could possibly see a television series coming out of it though. With some new books based on the television series and extra stories, oh you know what im saying.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 28, 2024
I don't think they will. I liked the movies, but I don't see them as material to be remade. This is just my opinion, but the only reason the movies were so popular was because they were made in a time where the books were massively popular (They still will be for another 5-10 years). Actually, I take that back. They weren't massively popular. They were TERRIFYINGLY popular. Hollywood will probably try to churn out another 'unofficial' movie, but to actually remake them? No, I don't think they will. They'll only make the movies if they bring back lots and lots of money, which I doubt they'll do in 10-20 years from now. At least, they won't bring back as much money as the originals.

Koi

Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
I think there's definitely possibility of Harry Potter movies gets remade, but not for another decade or two.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
When the day comes when the Harry Potter series is considered a classic through the books, there is without a doubt that they would be remade. The movies were made because of the hype fans created by reading them, and if this were to recur then Hollywood would probably remake it. But, I'm sure the success will only be a portion of the success today.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Did they ever see The Velvet Underground, or Space Odyssey, being held to critical acclaim? No, it's not possible to tell with modern media either. I expect the series will be remembered for a long time; but I also think it is the books that will be remembered, rather than the films.

Besides even if they were considered classics, I doubt they would be remade. It's something that just isn't done. There's a reason they haven't remade Casablanca. They've already milked Harry Potter for all it's worth.

Back