The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Off-Topic
"Like father like son".

Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

Old December 28th, 2011 (4:53 PM). Edited December 28th, 2011 by Nihilego.
O.O

Nature: Lax
I don't know if this belongs here or it requires a broader discussion so judge accordingly, moderators.

Do you think our parents' actions towards us, towards the surroundings are reflected on us? Do our parents' habits become our habits?

neglect the lazy title.

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 28th, 2011 (5:06 PM).
Expect me like you expect Jesus.

Nature: Adamant
Yeah, I might move this. I think it'd be served better in Other Chat where the discussion can roam free lol

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old December 28th, 2011 (5:52 PM).
DSC

kelly clarkson's because of you plays in the background
Well, I think that the environment you're raised in does impact you and what you are like. I don't necessarily believe that you have no choice in the matter and that you will have the characteristics of the people who raised you (I have almost none of the qualities my parents and my extended family have) and the environment you were in.
Old December 28th, 2011 (6:28 PM).
This user title is original

Nature: Calm
Well with some it does. But some are rebellious and will do what they can to do the opposite of what their parents do. If the environment is positive then then you may wish to (unintentionally) bring about a ruboff of habits or traits.
Old December 29th, 2011 (12:19 PM).
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Well honestly, I don't think I'm anything like my parents, or well, I suppose we're not quite similar, and we have a lot of differnent views, not to say we don't get along though. Though I do agree with how a child is treated and the enviroment they're in could effect them and how they behave in the future. I suppose this doesn't apply to me so much because it's more or less role models and people I've looked up to growing up that have sort of shaped who I am today.

Old December 29th, 2011 (3:15 PM).

Yeah, how you're raised really effects what you do, including who you copy. A good example would be the way that a person has a higher chance of abusing someone later in life if they were abused in their childhood
Old December 30th, 2011 (5:57 AM).
how do you make coffee sexy?

Nature: Impish
well, since our first human experiences are with our parents (not to mention that we're technically bound to them for life) i would have to say that, yes, some components in our personality and belief systems are influences by them. i say "some" because, obviously, as we grow older, we meet other people from different backgrounds, and expose ourselves to the "outside world" that we tend to have different opinions on certain things and form our own individuality.

i'm Briar.
Old December 30th, 2011 (9:38 AM).
pin pin

Nature: Relaxed
My parents beliefs, though I accept them as my own, and the way they do somethings as been passed on to me. The environment has altered some of the ways they'd want me to be like. It's a mixture of both. Mostly the parents though, they tell us not to be consumed by the surroundings.
Old December 30th, 2011 (10:20 PM).
Mega Ampharos is the one.

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Yahoo to miltankRancher
Usually it does. What we grow up with, we got used to be, what we eventually become. I think what a child sees, he imitates, therefore growing up with what we so call "traits" but are actually passed down characteristics of parents. or anybody living with the child.

I am a Roleplayer

...and I am PROUD of it.
Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
Old December 30th, 2011 (11:21 PM).

Nature: Modest
My father was Darth Vader, and I turned out just fine... sort of.

Old December 31st, 2011 (8:02 AM).
ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト

I can see this pretty reflected in me in some ways more than others. I wouldn't really want to be like either of my parents in all honesty, for reasons which aren't very difficult to imagine, but I am in some ways. But I believe it's possible to resist that too; there are some ways in which I'm like them, and I don't mind that, but the ways that I'm not like them are the ways I really wouldn't want to be. If that makes sense. So yeah just from personal experience (I haven't really looked at any studies or whatever) I don't think that a child's behaviour will be fully reflective of the environment that it grew up in.

That said I haven't seen facts or figures or whatever. Has anyone got any?
s͎̭̚ ̪ͭͩy͔͚̰̻̗̩̺ͣ́ͨ̌͡ ̩̳̙̖̖̺͡m̷̱̘͎̝̘̣͒͌͒̚ ͇͖̔̐̔b̝̪͚̞̦ͬ ̢͔̱̟̞̝͙̮͌̅̈̓̿̿i͐̈̃͊ͯ̎҉̟̠͓ ͕̥̣̪̠̃͑͞ỏ̵͕̠̱̬̬̞͛̋ ̨͈̻̱̟̱͓̪n͒̒͂͊̀ ̻̰̰̜̅̃͒̂͞tͭ̍̈́ ͙͇̘͕͍̜̖ͫ̌̊̿ͫ̂̀:̵̾͒̔͂ ̟͉̜̽͒͌͜p͎͇͎̦̺̙͒͆͋́ͅ ̨̠̠̘͚͖̺ͫ͛̎̉a̲͍̫͖͗̄ ͓͖͍̯̤̼͙̿̆̂̂̄r̬̟̮͖̥̼̆̓͑̃̾ͬ̉͟ͅ ̬̼̗͊͛a̛̯̮ ̮̬͍̙̮̤́ͪŝ͊ͬ̒̎̃ ̧̝̮͎͙͆̓ì͈̹̻̱̾͝ ̘͉͕̭̊ͤ̉̓tͩͯ̉̐ͨͬ̚͏̻̺̖̮ ̞̘͂̋̋ͯ͑ͦ͗e̞͔̎̇ͫ͊͗
Old December 31st, 2011 (10:08 PM). Edited January 15th, 2012 by Livewire.

Nature: Adamant
You're raised primarily by your parents, so yeah, some of their traits rub off on you, and then to your kids, so on and so forth. I have my Dad's penchant for being a smartass and my mom's large mouth, haha.
Old January 5th, 2012 (8:26 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar View Post
well, since our first human experiences are with our parents (not to mention that we're technically bound to them for life) i would have to say that, yes, some components in our personality and belief systems are influences by them. i say "some" because, obviously, as we grow older, we meet other people from different backgrounds, and expose ourselves to the "outside world" that we tend to have different opinions on certain things and form our own individuality.
How exactly are we "bound to them for life?" Some people choose to be, but I don't see how it's true for everyone.

I think what people get from their parents are more habits than aspects of personality. For instance, how I wash and fold my clothes is just like how my parents do theirs. Personality-wise I don't see any more resemblance among my brother, my parents and me than I do among myself, my boss, and my neighbors. I think similarities in families are just due to the fact that a lot of how people, all people, act and feel are going to be a little similar anyway.
Old January 15th, 2012 (8:33 PM).
Starfleet Commander

Nature: Quirky
Yeah, to some extent. You may not be like your parents, but I have found that people's morals and values have come from their parents (obviously not in every case). For the most part, I agree with what my parents say and value, but we do have our differences.

Currently playing:
Xenoblade Chronicles
Persona 4: The Golden
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links