Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

TrollandToad.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #126    
Old May 23rd, 2012 (8:06 PM).
DarkGrey's Avatar
DarkGrey DarkGrey is offline
     
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Gender: Female
    Posts: 47
    Waterfall and Dive cause the game to crash if you try to use them in Debug and don't have the badge for them. Kind of annoying since the earlier versions weren't like that. It is simple to work around it, but bothersome when testing the game, especially in the test maps since you can't really get the badges.
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #127    
    Old May 23rd, 2012 (10:54 PM).
    DarkGrey's Avatar
    DarkGrey DarkGrey is offline
       
      Join Date: Sep 2011
      Gender: Female
      Posts: 47
      When you slide on ice, the camera is always offsetted when you stop sliding. It is a rather jarring effect
      Reply With Quote
        #128    
      Old May 24th, 2012 (11:11 AM).
      Maruno's Avatar
      Maruno Maruno is offline
      Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
         
        Join Date: Jan 2008
        Location: England
        Posts: 5,185
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by DarkGrey View Post
        Waterfall and Dive cause the game to crash if you try to use them in Debug and don't have the badge for them. Kind of annoying since the earlier versions weren't like that. It is simple to work around it, but bothersome when testing the game, especially in the test maps since you can't really get the badges.
        I can't replicate this. Can you provide as much information as you can about your problem?
        __________________
        Go to the Pokémon Essentials Wiki

        | Downloads | Tutorials | Fangames |
        | All Animations Project |

        Follow me on Twitter: @maruno42


        Reply With Quote
          #129    
        Old May 24th, 2012 (5:31 PM).
        DarkGrey's Avatar
        DarkGrey DarkGrey is offline
           
          Join Date: Sep 2011
          Gender: Female
          Posts: 47
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
          I can't replicate this. Can you provide as much information as you can about your problem?
          I start up a new game in Playtest and travel to the water map. I go to surf and can't by simply pressing C by the shore. I have to manually surf by going to a specific pokemon in the party menu and telling them to surf. That works fine. But then you try to repeat the procedure next to a waterfall (you can't simply press C next to a waterfall either) and selecting Waterfall from a pokemon and it crashes.
          Quote:
          ---------------------------
          Pokemon Essentials
          ---------------------------
          Exception: NameError

          Message: undefined local variable or method `pbAscendWaterfall' for nil:NilClass

          PokemonHiddenMoves:556

          PokemonHiddenMoves:552:in `call'

          PBEvent:150:in `trigger'

          PokemonHiddenMoves:39:in `triggerUseMove'

          PokemonHiddenMoves:968:in `pbUseHiddenMove'

          PokemonPauseMenu:181:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

          PokemonPauseMenu:142:in `loop'

          PokemonPauseMenu:256:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

          Scene_Map:188:in `call_menu'

          Scene_Map:159:in `update'
          Reply With Quote
            #130    
          Old May 25th, 2012 (3:50 AM).
          Maruno's Avatar
          Maruno Maruno is offline
          Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
             
            Join Date: Jan 2008
            Location: England
            Posts: 5,185
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by DarkGrey View Post
            I start up a new game in Playtest and travel to the water map. I go to surf and can't by simply pressing C by the shore. I have to manually surf by going to a specific pokemon in the party menu and telling them to surf. That works fine. But then you try to repeat the procedure next to a waterfall (you can't simply press C next to a waterfall either) and selecting Waterfall from a pokemon and it crashes.
            That's really not a bug. I was assuming you had read the change log.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Essentials v7 change log
            When using moves outside battle by interacting with something during Debug mode, Ctrl must be held to make it work if it otherwise wouldn't.
            As for using Waterfall from the party screen causing a crash, that one is a bug. I've fixed it for the next release.
            __________________
            Go to the Pokémon Essentials Wiki

            | Downloads | Tutorials | Fangames |
            | All Animations Project |

            Follow me on Twitter: @maruno42


            Reply With Quote
              #131    
            Old May 26th, 2012 (9:22 AM).
            nmorr's Avatar
            nmorr nmorr is offline
            Takin a brake. -_-
               
              Join Date: May 2009
              Location: Poke City
              Age: 21
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Jolly
              Posts: 215
              I updated my game to the newest version and now I seem to get this error.
              Code:
              Exception: RuntimeError
              Message: scss
              PokemonLoad:308:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
              DebugIntro:6:in `main'
              Main:37:in `mainFunctionDebug'
              Main:15:in `mainFunction'
              Main:15:in `pbCriticalCode'
              Main:15:in `mainFunction'
              Main:47
              Main:46:in `loop'
              Main:55
              This happens when the game loads (after the menu) and it seems to be trying to start the game load and new game options but failing.
              __________________
              This signature has been disabled.
              Spoiler tags in Signatures are not allowed
              Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

              You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

              Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
              Reply With Quote
                #132    
              Old May 26th, 2012 (9:35 AM).
              Pokemon 3000's Avatar
              Pokemon 3000 Pokemon 3000 is offline
              huh?
                 
                Join Date: Sep 2005
                Location: Germany
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Rash
                Posts: 70
                The new version requires a new savegame. Older savegames don't work properly.
                Reply With Quote
                  #133    
                Old May 27th, 2012 (9:57 PM).
                p.claydon p.claydon is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Jan 2011
                  Gender:
                  Posts: 335
                  ok ive recently noticed that some pokédex entries are too long nd can not be flly seen (namely the unown) is there a way to sort this without reducing the pokédex entry?
                  Reply With Quote
                    #134    
                  Old May 29th, 2012 (3:25 PM).
                  Maruno's Avatar
                  Maruno Maruno is offline
                  Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
                     
                    Join Date: Jan 2008
                    Location: England
                    Posts: 5,185
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by p.claydon View Post
                    ok ive recently noticed that some pokédex entries are too long nd can not be flly seen (namely the unown) is there a way to sort this without reducing the pokédex entry?
                    The entries were generally taken from Emerald, and RSE entries are the longest of any game. The entry text box in Essentials is a couple of pixels narrower than the box in Emerald, but that is unlikely to make much of a difference. The main cause would be the font, which in Emerald is rather narrow but in Essentials is generally wider.

                    I would say the entries could stand to be rewritten so that they fit in the available space in any available font. I'm sure it's not difficult to do.
                    __________________
                    Go to the Pokémon Essentials Wiki

                    | Downloads | Tutorials | Fangames |
                    | All Animations Project |

                    Follow me on Twitter: @maruno42


                    Reply With Quote
                      #135    
                    Old June 4th, 2012 (1:27 PM).
                    IceGod64's Avatar
                    IceGod64 IceGod64 is offline
                    In the Lost & Found bin!
                       
                      Join Date: Oct 2008
                      Location: Castelia City
                      Age: 29
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Naive
                      Posts: 623
                      Okay, there's something about the recent release of essentials that bugs me.

                      When you add a new Pokémon, you have to make a new save before it can be added. This is because of the way forms currently work.

                      My own game is currently set up in a fashion where the demo does not have the entire Pokédex, but in a fashion where I'll be adding more with each release.. Essentially, think of it as update patches to include new Pokémon.

                      That said, I want saves from the demo to carry over to the final(And any future patches/new content I release for it), but the way it is now, this isn't possible, as i any new species are created and then given to the player, it crashes the game when they receive it.

                      For reference, the error is:
                      Code:
                      Exception: NoMethodError
                      Message: undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass
                      PokemonUtilities:1246:in `pbSeenForm'
                      PokemonUtilities:1221:in `pbAddPokemon'
                      PokemonDebug:403:in `pbDebugMenu'
                      PokemonDebug:299:in `loop'
                      PokemonDebug:610:in `pbDebugMenu'
                      PokemonPauseMenu:242:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
                      PokemonPauseMenu:241:in `pbFadeOutIn'
                      PokemonPauseMenu:241:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
                      PokemonPauseMenu:142:in `loop'
                      PokemonPauseMenu:256:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
                      __________________

                      Reply With Quote
                        #136    
                      Old June 4th, 2012 (3:47 PM).
                      Maruno's Avatar
                      Maruno Maruno is offline
                      Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
                         
                        Join Date: Jan 2008
                        Location: England
                        Posts: 5,185
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by IceGod64 View Post
                        Okay, there's something about the recent release of essentials that bugs me.

                        When you add a new Pokémon, you have to make a new save before it can be added. This is because of the way forms currently work.

                        My own game is currently set up in a fashion where the demo does not have the entire Pokédex, but in a fashion where I'll be adding more with each release.. Essentially, think of it as update patches to include new Pokémon.

                        That said, I want saves from the demo to carry over to the final(And any future patches/new content I release for it), but the way it is now, this isn't possible, as i any new species are created and then given to the player, it crashes the game when they receive it.

                        For reference, the error is:
                        Code:
                        Exception: NoMethodError
                        Message: undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass
                        PokemonUtilities:1246:in `pbSeenForm'
                        PokemonUtilities:1221:in `pbAddPokemon'
                        PokemonDebug:403:in `pbDebugMenu'
                        PokemonDebug:299:in `loop'
                        PokemonDebug:610:in `pbDebugMenu'
                        PokemonPauseMenu:242:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
                        PokemonPauseMenu:241:in `pbFadeOutIn'
                        PokemonPauseMenu:241:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
                        PokemonPauseMenu:142:in `loop'
                        PokemonPauseMenu:256:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
                        Essentials works the way it's supposed to here. It's just not the way you want it to work.

                        To do what you want, go into PokeBattle_Trainer and find the last PBSpecies.maxValue in there. Change it to a big number (if you know how many Pokémon you'll end up having, use that number). That's it - new games created from then on will work properly even if extra species are then added (up to the number you used, of course).

                        If people are already playing your first demo and want to keep their saves, you should "patch" their $Trainer.formseen array immediately after loading a save to extend it to a new length if necessary. This isn't difficult to do.
                        __________________
                        Go to the Pokémon Essentials Wiki

                        | Downloads | Tutorials | Fangames |
                        | All Animations Project |

                        Follow me on Twitter: @maruno42


                        Reply With Quote
                          #137    
                        Old June 4th, 2012 (6:46 PM).
                        zingzags's Avatar
                        zingzags zingzags is offline
                        PokemonGDX creator
                           
                          Join Date: Jan 2009
                          Location: Boston
                          Age: 23
                          Nature: Adamant
                          Posts: 562
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
                          Essentials works the way it's supposed to here. It's just not the way you want it to work.

                          To do what you want, go into PokeBattle_Trainer and find the last PBSpecies.maxValue in there. Change it to a big number (if you know how many Pokémon you'll end up having, use that number). That's it - new games created from then on will work properly even if extra species are then added (up to the number you used, of course).

                          If people are already playing your first demo and want to keep their saves, you should "patch" their $Trainer.formseen array immediately after loading a save to extend it to a new length if necessary. This isn't difficult to do.
                          Not many know how to use it.
                          __________________
                          Check out the Pokemon Game Engine I am working on:
                          https://github.com/sjosegarcia/Pokemon
                          Reply With Quote
                            #138    
                          Old June 5th, 2012 (6:58 AM).
                          Maruno's Avatar
                          Maruno Maruno is offline
                          Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
                             
                            Join Date: Jan 2008
                            Location: England
                            Posts: 5,185
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by zingzags View Post
                            Not many know how to use it.
                            It uses itself. Unless you're doing something strange (like releasing demos before deciding which Pokémon are to be in your game), there shouldn't be any problems.

                            The Pokédex page on the wiki now has some information about recording the seen forms, including pointing out when you might need to do something special.
                            __________________
                            Go to the Pokémon Essentials Wiki

                            | Downloads | Tutorials | Fangames |
                            | All Animations Project |

                            Follow me on Twitter: @maruno42


                            Reply With Quote
                              #139    
                            Old June 9th, 2012 (2:04 PM).
                            RikuCrafter RikuCrafter is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Jul 2011
                              Gender: Male
                              Posts: 62
                              when i connect two maps in the vis. editor, they seemingly connect. when i go in game, there's black on the map, but i can walk there. its gets to a point and the map reappears, but returns to black when i repass!
                              Reply With Quote
                                #140    
                              Old June 17th, 2012 (3:59 PM). Edited June 17th, 2012 by Rayd12smitty.
                              Rayd12smitty's Avatar
                              Rayd12smitty Rayd12smitty is offline
                              Shadow Maker
                                 
                                Join Date: Dec 2011
                                Gender: Male
                                Posts: 647
                                I just downloaded a new version of essentials and when I tried to start a game without changing anything, I got this.

                                Spoiler:
                                ---------------------------
                                Pokemon Essentials
                                ---------------------------
                                Exception: RuntimeError

                                Message: scss

                                PokemonLoad:308:in `pbStartLoadScreen'

                                DebugIntro:6:in `main'

                                Main:37:in `mainFunctionDebug'

                                Mainin `mainFunction'

                                Mainin `pbCriticalCode'

                                Mainin `mainFunction'

                                Main:47

                                Main:46:in `loop'

                                Main:55



                                This exception was logged in

                                C:\Users\Administrator\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

                                Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
                                ---------------------------
                                OK
                                ---------------------------


                                I also am having a problem with pokerus. I'm not sure what i changed that is affecting it. Whenever I try to see a pokemon's summary I get this:

                                [SPOILER]---------------------------
                                Pokemon Melanite Version
                                ---------------------------
                                Exception: NoMethodError

                                Message: undefined method `pokerusStage' for #
                                __________________
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #141    
                                Old June 18th, 2012 (5:10 AM).
                                Pokemon 3000's Avatar
                                Pokemon 3000 Pokemon 3000 is offline
                                huh?
                                   
                                  Join Date: Sep 2005
                                  Location: Germany
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Rash
                                  Posts: 70
                                  The last Version doesn't support special characters like ä, ö, ü or é. Example of this if i try to type a special character in a box name, I get this error:

                                  [SPOILER][CODE]Exception: RuntimeError
                                  Message: Script error within event 6, map 169 (Kandana):
                                  Exception: NameError
                                  Message: Section081:798:in `update'undefined local variable or method `codepoint' for #
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #142    
                                  Old June 18th, 2012 (6:37 AM).
                                  Maruno's Avatar
                                  Maruno Maruno is offline
                                  Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
                                     
                                    Join Date: Jan 2008
                                    Location: England
                                    Posts: 5,185
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Pokemon 3000 View Post
                                    The last Version doesn't support special characters like ä, ö, ü or é. Example of this if i try to type a special character in a box name, I get this error:
                                    From what I can tell, this has never worked; it's not just the latest version.

                                    In the script section PokemonTextEntry, around line 800, find the instances of the word codepoint. Replace them all with buf[j] and see if that works.
                                    __________________
                                    Go to the Pokémon Essentials Wiki

                                    | Downloads | Tutorials | Fangames |
                                    | All Animations Project |

                                    Follow me on Twitter: @maruno42


                                    Reply With Quote
                                      #143    
                                    Old June 18th, 2012 (12:24 PM).
                                    Pokemon 3000's Avatar
                                    Pokemon 3000 Pokemon 3000 is offline
                                    huh?
                                       
                                      Join Date: Sep 2005
                                      Location: Germany
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Rash
                                      Posts: 70
                                      That works, thank you. The only strange thing is when I type a "`" with my keyboard, a "{" appears sometimes instead of a "`". But sometimes it types correctly the "`".
                                      Reply With Quote
                                        #144    
                                      Old June 19th, 2012 (5:47 AM).
                                      FL's Avatar
                                      FL FL is offline
                                      Pokémon Island Creator
                                         
                                        Join Date: Sep 2010
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Posts: 1,717
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by DarkGrey View Post
                                        When you slide on ice, the camera is always offsetted when you stop sliding. It is a rather jarring effect
                                        After a big time I finally fix this!
                                        This bugs occurs because the way that movimentation and tile updates works. Example: If you move 10 pixel in time and the tile is 32 pixel, so you need to move by 10, 10, 10 and 2 pixel and by way that the game is refreshed, in some steps you goes some pixels out of screen center making the game incorrectly center you. There 3 ways of fix this: Changing the sprite update way on movement, center the player after the slide ends or making the event similar to move route (that haven't this problem).
                                        The first may unleash some side effects, if anyone wish to try, search for 'def refreshLayer0'. I tried the second way. After you centered, in some scenarios some sprites goes off player range without been correctly dispose, so its need to update all in map after the first update.

                                        In Scene_Map, before line 'def transfer_player(cancelVehicles=true)' put:

                                        Code:
                                         def updateSprites 
                                           for i in @spritesets.keys
                                             @spritesets[i].updateSprites
                                           end  
                                         end
                                        In Spriteset_Map, before line 'def in_range?(object)' put:

                                        Code:
                                         def updateSprites
                                           for sprite in @character_sprites
                                             sprite.update
                                           end
                                         end
                                        In PokemonField, after line 'end while pbGetTerrainTag(event)==PBTerrain::Ice' put:

                                        Code:
                                         $game_player.center($game_player.x, $game_player.y)
                                         $scene.updateSprites
                                        __________________
                                        Reply With Quote
                                          #145    
                                        Old June 19th, 2012 (4:00 PM).
                                        DarkGrey's Avatar
                                        DarkGrey DarkGrey is offline
                                           
                                          Join Date: Sep 2011
                                          Gender: Female
                                          Posts: 47
                                          Thanks a lot. It works great. Only thing is that running will speed up the ice sliding which makes sense irl and is a cool "feature", but isn't quite faithful to the games which might bother some people.
                                          Reply With Quote
                                            #146    
                                          Old June 20th, 2012 (9:31 AM).
                                          1ninjadude1701's Avatar
                                          1ninjadude1701 1ninjadude1701 is offline
                                             
                                            Join Date: Oct 2008
                                            Age: 21
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Quiet
                                            Posts: 202
                                            when i start the game in anyway it crashes upon loading the menu that shows new game and that stuff.


                                            ---------------------------
                                            Pokemon Essentials
                                            ---------------------------
                                            Exception: RuntimeError
                                            Message: scss
                                            PokemonLoad:308:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
                                            DebugIntro:6:in `main'
                                            Main:37:in `mainFunctionDebug'
                                            Mainin:15: `mainFunction'
                                            Main:15:in `pbCriticalCode'
                                            Main:15:in `mainFunction'
                                            Main:47
                                            Main:46:in `loop'
                                            Main:55

                                            This exception was logged in
                                            C:\Users\Josh\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.
                                            Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
                                            ---------------------------
                                            OK
                                            ---------------------------
                                            __________________
                                            Spartan ID




                                            My new pokemon rp

                                            http://pokemonchallengersrp.proboards.com/index.cgi

                                            Join if you like a challenge.
                                            Reply With Quote
                                              #147    
                                            Old June 20th, 2012 (9:36 AM).
                                            Zkweelur Zkweelur is offline
                                               
                                              Join Date: Jun 2012
                                              Gender: Male
                                              Posts: 8
                                              At the end of a battle there come a main script error on line 47 help
                                              Reply With Quote
                                                #148    
                                              Old June 20th, 2012 (9:53 AM).
                                              Maruno's Avatar
                                              Maruno Maruno is offline
                                              Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
                                                 
                                                Join Date: Jan 2008
                                                Location: England
                                                Posts: 5,185
                                                Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by Zkweelur View Post
                                                At the end of a battle there come a main script error on line 47 help
                                                That really doesn't help. At least copy the error message you get and post it. Also tell us whether you've changed anything (if you have, this error doesn't belong in here but in its own thread).
                                                __________________
                                                Go to the Pokémon Essentials Wiki

                                                | Downloads | Tutorials | Fangames |
                                                | All Animations Project |

                                                Follow me on Twitter: @maruno42


                                                Reply With Quote
                                                  #149    
                                                Old June 20th, 2012 (11:34 AM).
                                                Zkweelur Zkweelur is offline
                                                   
                                                  Join Date: Jun 2012
                                                  Gender: Male
                                                  Posts: 8
                                                  yes but when i not change it then this error come. I'm dutch

                                                  Exception: NameError

                                                  Message: undefined local variable or method `value' for #
                                                  Reply With Quote
                                                    #150    
                                                  Old June 20th, 2012 (5:10 PM).
                                                  titiy titiy is offline
                                                     
                                                    Join Date: Aug 2010
                                                    Posts: 46
                                                    I've changed the region map in my game and now I get this error everytime I go in the pokedex/area

                                                    -
                                                    Exception: NoMethodError

                                                    Message: undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass

                                                    PokemonNestAndForm:33:in `pbStartScene'

                                                    PokemonNestAndForm:118:in `pbStartScreen'

                                                    PokemonPokedex:821:in `pbDexEntry'

                                                    PokemonPokedex:756:in `loop'

                                                    PokemonPokedex:828:in `pbDexEntry'

                                                    PokemonPokedex:755:in `pbActivateWindow'

                                                    PokemonPokedex:755:in `pbDexEntry'

                                                    PokemonPokedex:1057:in `pbPokedex'

                                                    PokemonPokedex:1025:in `loop'

                                                    PokemonPokedex:1063:in `pbPokedex'



                                                    -

                                                    I figured I'd post this here in case someone finds out what is wrong before I do
                                                    Reply With Quote
                                                    Reply

                                                    Quick Reply

                                                    Join the conversation!

                                                    Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                                    Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                                    Sponsored Links
                                                    Thread Tools

                                                    Posting Rules
                                                    You may not post new threads
                                                    You may not post replies
                                                    You may not post attachments
                                                    You may not edit your posts

                                                    BB code is On
                                                    Smilies are On
                                                    [IMG] code is On
                                                    HTML code is Off

                                                    Forum Jump


                                                    All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:10 AM.