Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old August 6th, 2015 (3:15 PM). Edited August 16th, 2016 by Cataclyptic.
Everything I say is a lie

Nature: Quiet
8/11/16: Version 1.2 finally released! This is essentially a rehash of the previous 1.0, but with no more bugs and some added features!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello everyone, Cataclyptic here (Yes, the one from deviantArt). This is a hack I'm working on, Pokemon: Epic Emerald. It will be a low budget hack that employs comedy as its main focus.

About

Pokemon Epic Emerald is a relatively simple hack of the beloved Emerald Version that came out in Gen 3. This hack contains move edits, pokemon edits, pokedex edits but most importantly, I will alter every single piece of text within the game and make it funny- making this hack the most hilarious thing in the universe by the time I'm done with it.

When this hack is completed, it will have:

- All 386 Pokemon available: In appropriate locations of course
- Pokemon edits (base stats, learnsets, a few type changes): to make them all viable in the game- pick your favorites and use them.
- Move edits: Because screw Double Team. Also, to make more moves viable and worth picking in game.
- All text within game edited: replaced with much, much funnier dialogue and a "new" story.
- The Fairy type and other type edits: To make the game more fun
- Difficulty mod: Trainers will actually use good movesets and held items. This will make the game harder to complete, but not necessarily grinding hell.
- All TM's have infinite uses
- Sprite alterations (trainers, pokemon, etc) as well as some trainer only pokemon
- The Physical/Special split
- And more if I think of anything else

Here are the versions I plan to released and what they do/will contain:

Version 1.2
- Most of the 386 Pokemon within the game (the rest will be added later)
- Move edits
- Altered Text at the beginning of the game
- Pokemon edits
- The Fairy type
- Physical/Special split
- Three TM changes to new moves, as well as their learnsets.
- Reusable TM's
- All pokemon usable in the Battle Frontier
- Some hints as to what I'm planning next

Version 2.2
- Important Trainer Edits (Gym Leaders, Rivals, Etc.)
- Scripted Legendary events
- More scripting crap in general
- Pokedex edits
- Map edits
- TM/HM relocation

Version 3.0
- All Pokedex entries edited
- New level curve for the entire game
- More scripting stuff
- Edited text up until Rustboro City
- Preparations for final update

Version 4.0- Final
- All scripting events done
- OW and normal Sprite edits
- New boss pokemon
- All text within the game edited to be funnier

===============================================================================================================
Status updates

8/16/16: Version 1.2 is finally released. I decided to upload my plans for subsequent versions of the hack so that you all know what I'm doing. Still working on the .INI file for Emerald text, I'm currently on Slateport City. As mentioned earlier, I will release the .INI file for everyone to use once it is completed.

I have learned a lot about hacking lately, especially scripting. I should be able to do everything on my list for this hack and more. Stay tuned!

===============================================================================================================
Screenshots:

Current Version: 1.2

The current version released contains these features:

== Most of the 386 Pokemon within the game ==

Every single pokemon except for Moltres, Zapdos, Articuno, Mew, Mewtwo, Celebi, Lugia, Ho-oh, Entei, Suicune, Raikou, Jirachi and Deoxys are available somewhere in the game at least once. The ones currently unavailable will be added in version 2.2 as scripted events. Following, wild pokemon have had their locations edited.

Finally, please pick up the National Pokedex from Lardo on route 102, it will make the game easier. In a later release I will make it mandatory, but for now please accept my bad scripting until I git gud.

== Move edits ==

Many moves have been altered, see the documentation for full information. As an example, the three elemental hyper beams, which all the starters now learn, have been altered to 90bp, 100% accuracy attacks with great effects.

== Pokemon edits ==

Nearly all of the 386 pokemon of Generation 3 have had their stats, abilities, movesets and anything else you can name edited to make them better. You can play with your favorite pokemon and they won't let you down. All changes made are present in one of the documents.

== The Fairy type ==

The fairy type introduced in generation 6 is fully implemented in this game. Additionally, dark and ghost are neutral attacking steel just like in the sixth generation.

== Physical/Special split ==

The physical and special split first introduced in generation 4 is in this game as well.

== TM changes ==

Technical machines can now be used an infinite number of times just like in generation 5. Additionally, there are now three new TM's which have replaced the rather useless ones.
TM41 Torment --> False Swipe
TM45 Attract --> Substitute
TM49 Snatch --> Sucker Punch

== Miscellaneous ==

There is a short message from me at the very beginning of the game, to indicate if you've patched it successfully and to warn you that you'll lose brain cells by playing my hack.

You can now use any pokemon in the battle frontier barring eggs. Additionally, there will be some things here and there that don't quite make sense (like Wally catching a Charmander), these things are hints for the next release.

Things I need help with:

- Rival scripting. I would LIKE to incorperate another rival battle after the elite four, but I'm nor sure how the game knows which team the rival uses or even which gender s/he is. I may just copy an existing rival script and edit it to my liking, but if anyone has any pointers feel free to comment.

Additionally, I am taking suggestions for Pokedex editing. I already have most of the "story" for the game already, but Pokedex edits elude me. Comment below if you have an idea.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Epic Emerald Version 1.2.rar‎ (162.8 KB, 52 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Relevant Advertising!

Old August 7th, 2015 (7:19 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataclyptic View Post
Hello everyone, Cataclyptic here (Yes, the one from deviantart).
Please include at least two screenshots displaying the changes you've made from vanilla Emerald to comply with the Sideshow Showcase Forum Rules.
Old August 7th, 2015 (11:25 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
Please include at least two screenshots displaying the changes you've made from vanilla Emerald to comply with the Sideshow Showcase Forum Rules.
Oh okay. I'll get some ASAP.
Old August 9th, 2015 (4:49 AM).
Nature: Quirky
This looks interesting... I will probably try this.

If you need an easy way to include trainer opponent Pokemon only, try using the limbo slots between Celebi and Treecko. Change the sprites and stats and they should work, although you shouldn't use these slots for Pokemon the player can catch. It makes the game screw up.

Perhaps you could make getting the national dex necessary by having the guy that gives it to you block off the path and having him disappear after upgrading the dex.

You just need to change the animation pointer for a move in a tool such as G3T to change the animation, and you can make it so that the former two-charge moves display the other animation. You would need to ask around for the specific pointers, though.
That's that for now.

Loved Pokemon Glazed? Try my hack, Blazed Glazed!
Old August 9th, 2015 (5:19 AM).
Gone but not forgotten.....

Send a message via Skype™ to Omega
Wow! A new hack, I am gonna play this.

Well, I think adding Mega Evolutions is great but it is just a suggestion for me!

Thanks!
Old August 9th, 2015 (7:06 AM). Edited August 9th, 2015 by PurpleOrange.
still don't know what I'm doing

great pokedex entry for treecko.... jfc

Old August 9th, 2015 (8:48 AM).
╭━━╮╱╱╭━ ╱╱╱╱╭╮╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╭╮

Nature: Calm
This game is way to epic for a low valued noob like me...

Old August 9th, 2015 (11:07 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudou View Post
This looks interesting... I will probably try this.

If you need an easy way to include trainer opponent Pokemon only, try using the limbo slots between Celebi and Treecko. Change the sprites and stats and they should work, although you shouldn't use these slots for Pokemon the player can catch. It makes the game screw up.

Perhaps you could make getting the national dex necessary by having the guy that gives it to you block off the path and having him disappear after upgrading the dex.

You just need to change the animation pointer for a move in a tool such as G3T to change the animation, and you can make it so that the former two-charge moves display the other animation. You would need to ask around for the specific pointers, though.
That's that for now.
The national dex thing I am working on doing it just like you said. Scripting takes a while for me is all.

The entires between treecko and celebi, I have also tried to make new trainer only pokemon. The last time it didn't work out but I'll try again at your suggestion.
Old August 9th, 2015 (2:12 PM).
Ok, I had some time to look through the changelogs and here's my thoughts:
What's the reasoning behind keeping Giga Drain and Mega (aka Drain) Punch 60 power? Grass doesn't have many reliable strong attacks, and Frenzy Plant's distribution isn't very great. Also, Drain Punch has 15 pp and Giga Drain should too.
That's an interesting interpretation of Fly. Although you only get one Aerial Ace TM, unlike the reuseable Fly. Problematic? Maybe.
I believe that changing Surf to hit both opponents plus ally doesn't work at all, as it will only hit one of the opponents for some reason.
I should play the game soon, but I'm playing a bunch of other hacks, so I will make time for it later.

Old August 9th, 2015 (4:51 PM).

Quote:
Ok, I had some time to look through the changelogs and here's my thoughts:
What's the reasoning behind keeping Giga Drain and Mega (aka Drain) Punch 60 power? Grass doesn't have many reliable strong attacks, and Frenzy Plant's distribution isn't very great. Also, Drain Punch has 15 pp and Giga Drain should too.
That's an interesting interpretation of Fly. Although you only get one Aerial Ace TM, unlike the reuseable Fly. Problematic? Maybe.
I believe that changing Surf to hit both opponents plus ally doesn't work at all, as it will only hit one of the opponents for some reason.
I should play the game soon, but I'm playing a bunch of other hacks, so I will make time for it later.
In order:

As a competitive battler, I felt as though a higher BP for Giga Drain and Drain Punch would have been detrimental to ADV, as they would be *too* reliable to pass up, so to speak, and would make the game too easy. Remember that in ADV, most moves are still 60-80 BP on average and I wanted to continue that. Maybe I'll increase them to 65 but definately no more for good recover moves. As for the 10PP thing, that was a typo. I thought I corrected that to 15PP before I submit the thing...

I'll put that in next update for sure. As for the TM thing, I am researching several ways to have multiple TM's. Probably you will have to buy them at the Lilycove store, but on the plus side all 50 will be there. And finally, for surf, I'm certain it works because I just selected the same effect as Earthquake, which works within the game.

If you have any other comments then I am open!
Old August 10th, 2015 (2:06 PM).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataclyptic View Post
In order:

As a competitive battler, I felt as though a higher BP for Giga Drain and Drain Punch would have been detrimental to ADV, as they would be *too* reliable to pass up, so to speak, and would make the game too easy. Remember that in ADV, most moves are still 60-80 BP on average and I wanted to continue that. Maybe I'll increase them to 65 but definately no more for good recover moves. As for the 10PP thing, that was a typo. I thought I corrected that to 15PP before I submit the thing...

I'll put that in next update for sure. As for the TM thing, I am researching several ways to have multiple TM's. Probably you will have to buy them at the Lilycove store, but on the plus side all 50 will be there. And finally, for surf, I'm certain it works because I just selected the same effect as Earthquake, which works within the game.

If you have any other comments then I am open!
Ok, I understand your stance on Giga Drain and Drain Punch.
Infinite TMs may also be an option, but I'm not sure on how hard that is to implement. There are hacks out there with that feature though.
For some reason, only Earthquake uses that effect properly, and giving a move its range won't work properly. At least I think. I recently played a hack where Discharge was implemented but it only hit one of my Pokemon got hit by it in a Double Battle when it was used against me.

Old August 10th, 2015 (6:30 PM). Edited August 10th, 2015 by Cataclyptic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escodia View Post
ok, so far, i found two bugs, First of all, the first battle tent, there is a dude that gives you torment, but it turned out to be heat wave
Second: The wally rebattle at Mauville City, he has a ralts, not a charmander.
The second one isn't a bug, it's something I haven't done yet (no trainer teams have been edited yet)

The first one though... It actually worked!? See, I tried to replace TM's and the first one I did was Torment, I tried to change it to Heat Wave just to see if it would work, but the computer said it didn't work so I left it alone, thinking it was atill Torment.

Apparently it DID work... Huh... Why isn't it showing up that it worked then...? Either way I'll put that up. Thank you for notifying me.

Quote:
For some reason, only Earthquake uses that effect properly, and giving a move its range won't work properly. At least I think. I recently played a hack where Discharge was implemented but it only hit one of my Pokemon got hit by it in a Double Battle when it was used against me.
You're right on this. Surf still hits both opponents due to a typo, but even when I set it to the same effect as earthquake it still doesn't work- like you said it just hits one target.
Old August 11th, 2015 (2:57 AM).
Nature: Careful
http://prntscr.com/83bqtx So I made it, beat the game in 24:33, I don't really know how fast that is, anyways, In the CHAMPION battle, The wailord uses stockpile, but it didnt show the defense and the spd raise, i don't really know if it did raise or not. You might want to check that.
Old August 12th, 2015 (2:55 PM).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escodia View Post
http://prntscr.com/83bqtx So I made it, beat the game in 24:33, I don't really know how fast that is, anyways, In the CHAMPION battle, The wailord uses stockpile, but it didnt show the defense and the spd raise, i don't really know if it did raise or not. You might want to check that.
That's not actually a bug, as Stockpile causes the Defense and Special Defense raise from Generation 4 onwards, so those stats won't raise in Generation 3.

Old August 13th, 2015 (5:27 PM).

you should switch the gym types just to mess with trainers. Gather up all those water or grass types, just to be smashed by the fire or grass type gym leader
Old August 13th, 2015 (11:19 PM). Edited August 14th, 2015 by Escodia.
Nature: Careful
Hey, Um So This thing about Mew, It's not going to listen to you no matter what, Since you "encounter" mew not on his island, the pokemon doesn't listen to you, So that mew in steven's chamber, ain't gonna listen. You might wanna see if you wanna/can change it or not.
Old November 7th, 2015 (4:31 PM).

Thread bump because version two is finally released! You can't transfer your old save file sadly, since there was so much content I added that I needed a new rom. Good luck with version two!!
Old November 8th, 2015 (11:20 AM).
I am the best in the world.
Silver Tier

Nature: Adamant
Does this have special/physical split?
Old November 8th, 2015 (2:00 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdom of Tea View Post
Does this have special/physical split?
Sadly no, I'm not that great at hacking and I was unable to figure out a way to put one in AND alter some moves at the same time. Sorry.
Old November 8th, 2015 (2:16 PM).
Silver Tier

You should really look into that, sideshows hacks these days really need to hack the S/P split otherwise it's feels like a lot of pokemon are held back by not being able to use good movesets because of their lack of Attack or Sp.Atk
Old November 8th, 2015 (2:29 PM).

Quote:
You should really look into that, sideshows hacks these days really need to hack the S/P split otherwise it's feels like a lot of pokemon are held back by not being able to use good movesets because of their lack of Attack or Sp.Atk
Maybe. Keep in mind that I did just alter 90% of all pokemon with that point in mind- as well as some moves to help that process along. I'd say that's a non issue for this hack.
Old November 8th, 2015 (2:32 PM).
Silver Tier

Well it depends what you mean by altering pokemon, Did you change their stats to be more forgiving on not being able to use their types? or did you just alter their movesets? Because that still really doesn't fix much because you can do it yourself ingame.
Old November 8th, 2015 (2:37 PM).

Quote:
Well it depends what you mean by altering pokemon, Did you change their stats to be more forgiving on not being able to use their types? or did you just alter their movesets? Because that still really doesn't fix much because you can do it yourself ingame.
All of the above and more. I suggest you look at the documentation I included in the .ZIP to see for yourself.
Old November 8th, 2015 (2:52 PM).
Silver Tier

I hope you don't think I'm trying to attack your hack, it's just at the moment there are quite a few considerably good hacks for emerald and if you're going to make one, you need to bring something to the table that those hacks don't. So if I challenge you on the things you lack, you may find ways to fix it or make it different from other hacks, like you're trying to do.
Old November 8th, 2015 (3:29 PM).

Quote:
I hope you don't think I'm trying to attack your hack, it's just at the moment there are quite a few considerably good hacks for emerald and if you're going to make one, you need to bring something to the table that those hacks don't. So if I challenge you on the things you lack, you may find ways to fix it or make it different from other hacks, like you're trying to do.
No, I understand. I do have something like that in mind, but it'll have to come later. As stated in the OP, I am going to make this the funniest hack ever. Sadly, because there is no text ini for Emerald, I'm going to have to make one by recording every piece of dialogue in the game... and that'll take a while. So I do the easy(er) parts first just to prove I'm not dead/committed to the hack.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links