Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old August 23rd, 2013 (4:04 PM).

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to this whole mapping and stuff but I've created this little piece of map. Would gladly take any critique. :D

Relevant Advertising!

Old August 23rd, 2013 (4:38 PM).
    zzzz

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Amiasek View Post
      Hey guys, I'm kinda new to this whole mapping and stuff but I've created this little piece of map. Would gladly take any critique. :D
      It's a very nice map, especially considering you're new to this. I really like the pond, it has so much detail. The only things bugging me are the strong outlines on the buildings, which clash a bit with the less strong outlines on for example the trees, and the free space south of the pond and north of the Pokémon Center.

Anyway, keep it up and I look forward to seeing more maps from you :)
      Old August 24th, 2013 (12:40 AM).
      It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Nature: Relaxed
        Quote:
        If you are new to mapping, this is really well done!

But, I have some critique for you.

You have way too much decoration in the map. You have 3 different small trees, 3 diffwewnr big trees, 3 different tall grass, 7 different kinds of flowers, and the lots of water decoration.
        I think the appropriate word here is moderation. You have WAY too much details and too many different kinds. Use only 2 or 3 different flowers, and try to group them more. Flowers tend to grow in groups, in towns. Don't use tall grass for decoration. And try not to use different trees in the same map, unless for a REALLY specific purpose. If you want to have different trees in your game, make the tree border have a mix of them, or change when you cross a sea or mountain, like in DPPt.

You are using to small spaces for the player to walk. The map looks good as just artwork, but for a game, you have to consider that the player needs to have room to move. The red-roofed house only has a 1 tile wide area between the lab and itself for the player to go through. That is bad map design. Secondly, who would build their house so that they can barely reach it? It doesn't make sense. The same goes for the top right house. The flowerbox limits the tiles the player can walk through to 1 tile wide as well. Same problem.

The map flows bad. There is no since of direction. Everything feels random.
        When designing a map, you want the player to unintentionally walk towards things.
        This is can be done by making the roads flow well, so the player wants to follow the roads, and they lead the player to the right area/house. It can also be done by interesting things, attracting the player towards the area or simply forcing the player to go that way.
        Your map, has no sense of flow at all.
        You need to make the roads more clearly lead to the buildings so the player can easily go there without having to think about it. You need to remove unneeded areas which distract the player for no value. For example the top left cornere behind the red house, or the empty area beneathe the lake. You also need to move the beigeroofed house, or the stairs behind it.
        Right now, you are literally "hiding" the stairs behind the house, which is bad flow design. You want the exit to a town to be blatantly obvious and easy to get to.

Still, I give the map 6/10, because you have the basics on mapping down. You don't have empty space and you know how to use your tiles properly. This is still good, but it could be better!
        Old August 24th, 2013 (4:02 AM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by tImE View Post
          You have way too much decoration in the map. You have 3 different small trees, 3 diffwewnr big trees, 3 different tall grass, 7 different kinds of flowers, and the lots of water decoration.
          I think the appropriate word here is moderation. You have WAY too much details and too many different kinds. Use only 2 or 3 different flowers, and try to group them more. Flowers tend to grow in groups, in towns. Don't use tall grass for decoration. And try not to use different trees in the same map, unless for a REALLY specific purpose. If you want to have different trees in your game, make the tree border have a mix of them, or change when you cross a sea or mountain, like in DPPt.

You are using to small spaces for the player to walk. The map looks good as just artwork, but for a game, you have to consider that the player needs to have room to move. The red-roofed house only has a 1 tile wide area between the lab and itself for the player to go through. That is bad map design. Secondly, who would build their house so that they can barely reach it? It doesn't make sense. The same goes for the top right house. The flowerbox limits the tiles the player can walk through to 1 tile wide as well. Same problem.

The map flows bad. There is no since of direction. Everything feels random.
          When designing a map, you want the player to unintentionally walk towards things.
          This is can be done by making the roads flow well, so the player wants to follow the roads, and they lead the player to the right area/house. It can also be done by interesting things, attracting the player towards the area or simply forcing the player to go that way.
          Your map, has no sense of flow at all.
          You need to make the roads more clearly lead to the buildings so the player can easily go there without having to think about it. You need to remove unneeded areas which distract the player for no value. For example the top left cornere behind the red house, or the empty area beneathe the lake. You also need to move the beigeroofed house, or the stairs behind it.
          Right now, you are literally "hiding" the stairs behind the house, which is bad flow design. You want the exit to a town to be blatantly obvious and easy to get to.
          Hey, thanks for this good piece of critique, it showed my obvious mistakes which I didn't notice cause I was focusing more on making this town "pretty" rather than making it pracical to player/citiziens. I also reduced amount of flowers and trees I was using.

Hope this is any better. :D
          Old August 24th, 2013 (5:24 AM).
          It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Quote:
            Hey, thanks for this good piece of critique, it showed my obvious mistakes which I didn't notice cause I was focusing more on making this town "pretty" rather than making it pracical to player/citiziens. I also reduced amount of flowers and trees I was using.

Hope this is any better. :D
            Wow, what an improvement.
            It looks A LOT better now! :D

My last piece of advice will be the same as before though.
            Less details. But this time, I'm talking about the lake. Don't overuse the decorations.
            Since you are using a see-through-water-style, I recommend using the big and small underwater rocks as your only decorations. Otherwise it feels too random and cluttered.
            Making the lake deeper using underwater mountain tiles is also a way to decorate.

You only should use surface-decorations on non-see-through-water.

This map is now 8/10

Keep up the great work!
            Old August 24th, 2013 (5:48 AM).
            dabbadeedabadai

Nature: Quiet
              I agree with tImE, the second map looks much better than the first. Is this a starting town? I don't think I've seen a cave in a starting town before (at least not in a game I've played, there may be in progress games with that feature) so I'm not really used to that, but I suppose that depends on what it's for.

But yeah, good job, especially if you are a new mapper! You give me hope that I can do a good job when I start making serious maps
              Old August 24th, 2013 (8:15 AM). Edited August 24th, 2013 by kronos9.

Made a forest thing:

I got the tiles from various dA users and mashed them up. I already changed this map, but i'm just too lazy to get a new copy of it and put it here. Like, i fixed the grass, and some mushrooms, and the witch house. Every tile here is from deviantart BESIDES the yellow and red trees. So yeah dawg. I know it's fairly large and empty, but i was really just testing some tiles!
                Old August 24th, 2013 (10:20 AM).
                dabbadeedabadai

It seems a bit weird to me that a witch lives in a modern house with glass windows and a mailbox, but I don't know how you changed it since then so I suppose I can't really comment on it fully.
                  Old August 24th, 2013 (11:39 AM).
                  ಥдಥ
                  • Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by kronos9 View Post
                  Made a forest thing:

I got the tiles from various dA users and mashed them up. I already changed this map, but i'm just too lazy to get a new copy of it and put it here. Like, i fixed the grass, and some mushrooms, and the witch house. Every tile here is from deviantart BESIDES the yellow and red trees. So yeah dawg. I know it's fairly large and empty, but i was really just testing some tiles!
                  You have WAY too much open space here. That is my first point of contention.

SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
                  HARDCORE EDITION
                  To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
                  Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
                  Old August 24th, 2013 (1:20 PM).

So I started mapping ...
                    It's the first village and route of the region.
                    I'll appreciate any advice on improving the map.
                    Attached Thumbnails
                    Route1.jpg‎  
                    Old August 24th, 2013 (1:35 PM).
                    Moémon Master

Nature: Quirky
                      I see a couple of tile errors along the northern border of the land.
                      maybe add some more grass, or a few ledges to break up the monotony of the long route.

but overall i really dig this.
                      Old August 24th, 2013 (8:18 PM).

I trashed that last forest thing. I really didn't like the way it turned out..
                        So i made a little mountain side village thing:

So yeah dawg.
                        Old August 24th, 2013 (9:13 PM).
                        ಥдಥ
                        • Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
                        Worldslayer's Mapping Tutorial

Give it a read.

Your maps have a ton of open space and going off what you have shown, it definitely needs work.

SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
                        HARDCORE EDITION
                        To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
                        Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
                        Old August 25th, 2013 (10:57 AM). Edited August 27th, 2013 by Wootius.
                        Glah

I like it Kronos, aside from the lack of connections in the paths. I guess you were trying to make it seem less traveled but the lack of connections just makes it seem empty. Carve out the center bottom forest and have a little park encircled by path, that'd fill the space nicely.

Route 4.

Cerulean City, I'm not super happy with it.
                          Old August 29th, 2013 (5:35 AM).
                          Reality Bender.

Haven't posted here in a while but here is my latest map, the first one after I recreated a new DeviantART account. This is the first map where I decided to mix different tileset settings and create a "Almost-Permanent" mapping style. Although I am proud of it, I still feel it is not my best, and I think I failed where the map needs more open space.

The map name is "GreenHill Town" (I should really stop getting names from other franchises). My Girlfriend say's she sees a Pikachu on it.
                            (Credits: ~WesleyFG ~Minorthreat0987 ~Alucus ~EVoLiNa ~The-Red-eX)
                            Old August 29th, 2013 (9:11 PM).
                            @atomicreactor
                            • Crystal Tier

My only problem with this map is the paths. The stone tile paths look like they're being covered up by grass. Which is fine, but then it doesn't look like it's an actual path. the tiles just look like random stone spots in the town. If you replace the sand with the stone tiles, then it'll look like one consistent path all through out the town, but with grass growing over it, which would make more sense.

Also, the houses shouldn't be hidden in the trees, I understand not having doors, but they should at least be able to be reached, imo.
                            Old August 30th, 2013 (1:05 AM). Edited August 30th, 2013 by Arma.
                            The Hyena
                            • Silver Tier

Nature: Jolly
                            It doesn't really feel like a town to me, Harvey. The houses are too far apart imo, and the diagonal path isn't really good to have, since you'd have to change directions all the time.

I do like the style though, reminds me quite a bit of my own work. It carries a lot of similarities to "Sansavan city", a map that I did a long time ago.
                            EDIT: Here's the map I meant.
                            Old August 31st, 2013 (4:30 PM).
                            Lightning Yellow Creator

Not a pokemon map, just something i'm using to familiarise myself with vx ace

The pie in the map shows as off the table, but in the game its not
                              Attached Thumbnails
                              Players House.png‎  

A Pokemon Yellow remake, using HGSS Tiles, and the ability to obtain all Kanto Pokemon as well as their previous/later evolutions.

Old August 31st, 2013 (8:10 PM).
                              'Cause why not?
                              • Gold Tier

Here is the first route of my game, with there intentionally being absolutely no tall grass at all!
                              Spoiler:
                              Old August 31st, 2013 (8:56 PM).
                              #BAMFPokemonNerd

Nature: Sassy
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Unknown# View Post
                                Here is the first route of my game, with there intentionally being absolutely no tall grass at all!
                                Spoiler:
                                a route without grass is very boring - I'm assuming the player has no pokemon at this point - personally I wouldnt do that, but w/e I think you should try and do something else instead, aside from that the map looks really tight, and boring really - mainly because you're going in 1 direction, theres no means of exploration, its like you're forcing us to go 1 way

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by desbrina View Post
                                Not a pokemon map, just something i'm using to familiarise myself with vx ace

The pie in the map shows as off the table, but in the game its not
                                I;m not "hip to that jiv" so iunno how VX ACE game maps are constructed, but in pokemon games there is no need to reiterate the fact there is a "top" to the walls, as the blackness does that for you - but it may not be a pokemon game so iunno what you're going for - aside from that the room in the middle, with the little coat looks weird, because of the size of the bookcase and the perspective inwhich we see the map, it looks like the bookcase is on the same level as the "wall top"

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old September 1st, 2013 (2:56 AM).
                                Lightning Yellow Creator

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
                                  I;m not "hip to that jiv" so iunno how VX ACE game maps are constructed, but in pokemon games there is no need to reiterate the fact there is a "top" to the walls, as the blackness does that for you - but it may not be a pokemon game so iunno what you're going for - aside from that the room in the middle, with the little coat looks weird, because of the size of the bookcase and the perspective inwhich we see the map, it looks like the bookcase is on the same level as the "wall top"
                                  VX ACE maps are done really differently compared to XP which i'm used to, theres no map layers as such which threw me at first.
                                  I was using the sample maps that came with VX ACE as a reference and they had the wall top on so I followed suite. I'm not sure how to fix the bookcase issue at the moment

Heres a simple town i've been working on
                                  Attached Thumbnails
                                  Elder Thorn.png‎  

A Pokemon Yellow remake, using HGSS Tiles, and the ability to obtain all Kanto Pokemon as well as their previous/later evolutions.

Old September 1st, 2013 (6:18 AM).
                                  #BAMFPokemonNerd

Nature: Sassy
                                    Quote:
                                    VX ACE maps are done really differently compared to XP which i'm used to, theres no map layers as such which threw me at first.
                                    I was using the sample maps that came with VX ACE as a reference and they had the wall top on so I followed suite. I'm not sure how to fix the bookcase issue at the moment

that's very interesting, then - as there are no layers it's commendable to see you have created such an illusion of layers - and the layout is nicely spaced for a small town good work - it might help you if you start working on different kinds of maps, such as big, winding maps, or route maps, maybe mountain maps, or even big city maps for practice

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old September 1st, 2013 (8:10 AM).

Quote:

Please don't fall into the Water Tile trap. That water tile is used for depth, not for the floor.

Click here to learn how to avoid this.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
                                      Old September 1st, 2013 (9:41 AM).
                                      Lightning Yellow Creator

Ok, here's the same map with the other water tile

Click image for larger version

Name:	Elder Thorn.png
Views:	21
Size:	789.3 KB
ID:	69483

Old September 1st, 2013 (10:36 AM).
                                        Orange I s l a n d s~
                                        • Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Unknown# View Post
                                        Spoiler:
                                        You really need to fill in the trees to be solid it's hard to tell where you can and can't actually go.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply