Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1426    
Old July 16th, 2012 (3:54 AM).
Impo's Avatar
Impo Impo is offline

Playhouse Pokemon

  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 2,456

High Five!

I don't think I'll ever indulge in alcohol - it's just empty calories

but today I indulged in like 10 of those choc chip cookies AND NOW I FEEL FAT AND LETHARGIC but I went for a run before so maybe that balances

__________________

Relevant Advertising!

  #1427    
Old July 16th, 2012 (5:44 AM).
Captain Fabio's Avatar
Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London, UK
Age: 27
Nature: Lax
Posts: 12,264

Choc chip cookies are just as empty as alcohol.
I don't see why some people are so against it; in moderation, like most things, it is fine and yummy! :3
But, it is down to personal taste so...

  #1428    
Old July 16th, 2012 (6:02 AM).
Sweet Candace Sweet Candace is offline

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\

  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere; maybe over a rainbow.
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Posts: 5,283

I don't want to become an alcoholic, but I'd still drink a beer from time to time. I'd enjoy alcohol in moderation.

  #1429    
Old July 16th, 2012 (6:10 AM). Edited July 16th, 2012 by Yoshikko.
Yoshikko's Avatar
Yoshikko Yoshikko is offline
the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Other
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 3,041

Don't they put sugar in for example salads like Toujours said because it is addictive and makes you want to eat more or something?

Also, people are against alcohol because yeah in moderation it won't really get you drunk but it still kills your braincells and it's bad for your liver lol.

__________________
  #1430    
Old July 16th, 2012 (7:14 AM).
Overlord Drakow's Avatar
Overlord Drakow Overlord Drakow is offline

-CONQUERER

     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Down Under
    Nature: Hasty
    Posts: 3,655

    There are positives to moderate alcohol consumption too however. It can help keep your heart healthy and it's good for balancing the pH levels in your body.

    __________________
    "Power through ambition." - Overlord Drakow
    The Painist
      #1431    
    Old July 16th, 2012 (7:14 AM).
    Nihilego's Avatar
    Nihilego Nihilego is offline

    ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト

    • Administrator
     
    Join Date: Apr 2011
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 8,809

    It's probably awful that I haven't had an alcoholic drink for a while and I reallllly feel like I want one, lol. I'm well aware that I drink way more than I really should although I'm not like way above what I should have.

      #1432    
    Old July 16th, 2012 (7:23 AM).
    Algo Fonix's Avatar
    Algo Fonix Algo Fonix is offline
    oh god
       
      Join Date: Jul 2009
      Location: Flagstaff, AZ
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 535

      Anymore, when I have alcohol around it tends to go pretty fast. Great, now I want a beer.

      __________________
      If you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste.
      Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste.
        #1433    
      Old July 16th, 2012 (7:36 AM).
      Yoshikko's Avatar
      Yoshikko Yoshikko is offline
      the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Jul 2011
      Gender: Other
      Nature: Hasty
      Posts: 3,041

      On the long run it does more bad than good though even though small bits can be healthy for you xP

        #1434    
      Old July 16th, 2012 (8:45 AM).
      Kanto_Johto's Avatar
      Kanto_Johto Kanto_Johto is offline
      Never glimpse the truth
         
        Join Date: Jul 2009
        Location: A Silver Sun
        Age: 24
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Bold
        Posts: 818

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
        I know people say that diet soda is bad for you but tbh it's hard for me to believe until I see a real study that was performed the way a study should be performed, which is really near impossible. And then I see things like "how do you gain weight from diet soda? Find out at 11!" and it's always something dumb like "diet soda makes you want to each refined sugars more!". I don't eat refined sugars, so diet soda doesn't make me gain weight.

        I think doctors hate diet soda but they don't have any really good studies backing them up so they just think of everything possible to make people not drink it. :/

        Diet soda is actually incredibly bad for you in terms of your dental health. It has a lot of phosphoric acid (which is found in pretty much all soft drinks) which can lead to enamel erosion (the stuff that protects your teeth), so drinking excessive amounts can be very unhealthy (though that can be said for a lot of things). It can also mess up the level of calcium in your bones. I know what you mean though. It does annoy me that people make out like if you drink one can you'll die a slow and painful death.

        In terms of alcohol, I only drink it when I'm out at the pub or clubbing with friends. I don't get the point in just drinking it casually at home. Especially beer and lager. That stuff is horrible to drink on its own unless you're eating curry or you've already been drinking.

          #1435    
        Old July 16th, 2012 (9:00 AM).
        Livewire's Avatar
        Livewire Livewire is offline
        • Platinum Tier
         
        Join Date: Jul 2009
        Location: Sunnyshore City
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Adamant
        Posts: 14,265

        Don't forget Aspartame is also linked to cancer!

        __________________
          #1436    
        Old July 16th, 2012 (9:29 AM).
        Cherrim's Avatar
        Cherrim Cherrim is offline

        the blossom pokémon

        • Platinum Tier
         
        Join Date: Dec 2002
        Location: Waterloo, ON
        Age: 28
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Relaxed
        Posts: 30,828

        Everything is linked to cancer. :(

        __________________


          #1437    
        Old July 16th, 2012 (9:40 AM).
        Yoshikko's Avatar
        Yoshikko Yoshikko is offline
        the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Jul 2011
        Gender: Other
        Nature: Hasty
        Posts: 3,041

        Well, some things more than others.

        That reminds me that I find it so annoying when you say something is bad for your health, and every time you get the response that EVERYTHING IS BAD EVERYTHING GIVES YOU CANCER SO MIGHT AS WELL SCREW MYSELF UP ANYWAY ETC, it's not true, some things are worse than others and there are healthy alternatives, but people just don't want to admit that they're living unhealthy and stuff so they get all defensive >->

          #1438    
        Old July 16th, 2012 (9:44 AM).
        Forever's Avatar
        Forever Forever is offline

        SACRED FIRE

        • Moderator
        • Crystal Tier
        • EOEvent Organizer
         
        Join Date: Nov 2005
        Location: Queensland
        Age: 25
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Bold
        Posts: 35,411

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
        Everything is linked to cancer. :(

        Trying to find a way to disagree with this... struggling... sun, no... water, no...

        ...PC?

        __________________

        Celebrating Gold and Silver's Upcoming Virtual Console Release!
        moderator of the following games
        [ ]
          #1439    
        Old July 16th, 2012 (10:24 AM).
        Cherrim's Avatar
        Cherrim Cherrim is offline

        the blossom pokémon

        • Platinum Tier
         
        Join Date: Dec 2002
        Location: Waterloo, ON
        Age: 28
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Relaxed
        Posts: 30,828

        I imagine eventually, LCD screens or wifi signals will be linked to cancer (if they aren't already--I know there was a big fuss somewhat recently in Ontario high schools about whether or not to allow wifi because it could be a health risk). So yeah, PC would be sort of linked to cancer.

        Also lots of people visit it on their mobile phones and people have been going on and on about those causing cancer for a decade. (Although I think this one was refuted at some point?)

          #1440    
        Old July 16th, 2012 (11:00 AM).
        Esper's Avatar
        Esper Esper is offline
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Jun 2009
        Location: California
        Posts: 10,487

        Aren't wifi signals essentially the same as all the other invisible parts of light like normal radio waves which are already everywhere and already giving you cancer?

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
        Also, people are against alcohol because yeah in moderation it won't really get you drunk but it still kills your braincells and it's bad for your liver lol.
        I'm pretty sure I read that the damage alcohol does to your brain heals over time. Good news? Not to your liver.

        __________________
          #1441    
        Old July 16th, 2012 (11:08 AM).
        Algo Fonix's Avatar
        Algo Fonix Algo Fonix is offline
        oh god
           
          Join Date: Jul 2009
          Location: Flagstaff, AZ
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 535

          What gets me is when there are things that are proven to be horrible and cancer causing yet people still do it. Like, I'm the only person in my household that doesn't smoke. My family has a long history of cancer on both sides, so I don't think any of us need any help dying. It really pisses me off.

            #1442    
          Old July 16th, 2012 (11:13 AM). Edited July 16th, 2012 by Nihilego.
          Nihilego's Avatar
          Nihilego Nihilego is offline

          ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト

          • Administrator
           
          Join Date: Apr 2011
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 8,809

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Algo Fonix View Post
          What gets me is when there are things that are proven to be horrible and cancer causing yet people still do it. Like, I'm the only person in my household that doesn't smoke. My family has a long history of cancer on both sides, so I don't think any of us need any help dying. It really pisses me off.

          I guess it's that people tend to start smoking for reasons that they either didn't consider very well or out of stress or peer pressure or something like that. Or just because a lot of people around them do it and they don't really see too much different. And... it's pretty damn addictive. It's not as clean cut, imo, as something you can just choose not to do and stick to that or something that you can stop when you need to. Circumstances can always change and it only takes a very short time of someone thinking differently for them to be addicted for years.

          That's how I see it having worked for me anyway. -shrug-

            #1443    
          Old July 16th, 2012 (11:22 AM).
          Esper's Avatar
          Esper Esper is offline
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Jun 2009
          Location: California
          Posts: 10,487

          Addiction is a sad thing to watch. It makes me angry to see people I care about smoke, but I try to remember that I have problems and things myself that I should just be able to stop doing, but I just can't.

            #1444    
          Old July 16th, 2012 (11:57 AM).
          Incineroar's Avatar
          Incineroar Incineroar is offline

          the spirit of the fighter

          • Moderator
          • Platinum Tier
          • Developer
           
          Join Date: May 2009
          Location: Iki Town
          Age: 22
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Brave
          Posts: 13,485

          I find the whole Wi-Fi Cancer thing to be outrageous. Eventually, everything will eventually be tied to cancer. Heck, someone could say that reading too much will lead to cancer and someone else will try to prove it.

          It'll never end.

          __________________
            #1445    
          Old July 16th, 2012 (11:58 AM).
          Algo Fonix's Avatar
          Algo Fonix Algo Fonix is offline
          oh god
             
            Join Date: Jul 2009
            Location: Flagstaff, AZ
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Relaxed
            Posts: 535

            Yeah... and my brother got started at like 16, I think. I'm not really fit to judge people, but I don't like seeing people I love hurt themselves. :/

              #1446    
            Old July 16th, 2012 (12:37 PM).
            Yoshikko's Avatar
            Yoshikko Yoshikko is offline
            the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
            • Crystal Tier
             
            Join Date: Jul 2011
            Gender: Other
            Nature: Hasty
            Posts: 3,041

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
            Aren't wifi signals essentially the same as all the other invisible parts of light like normal radio waves which are already everywhere and already giving you cancer?

            I'm pretty sure I read that the damage alcohol does to your brain heals over time. Good news? Not to your liver.

            Could be, but dead braincells stay dead and in turn can't duplicate anymore, so you lose potential ones too.

            What pisses ME off is if people care about what other people do with their body/life, if it doesn't affect you then who cares?? My mom is a smoker, and it's freaking annoying because I don't want to inhale the smoke so I want her to quit or to smoke outside, but I don't care if she smokes because that's her own decision and she knows the consequences so whatever floats her boat, as long as I don't have to second-hand smoke.

            Also, why do you guys care that "everything is linked to cancer etc"? It's a CHANCE, it's not guaranteed that you ARE going to get cancer IF you do this and so on, it's a small chance that exists. The likelihood of getting cancer from say peanut butter or whatever is like almost nil. You really shouldn't rely on those odds because it's going to restrict you for no reason.

              #1447    
            Old July 16th, 2012 (2:43 PM).
            Luck's Avatar
            Luck Luck is offline
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
               
              Join Date: Nov 2007
              Posts: 6,771

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
              Could be, but dead braincells stay dead and in turn can't duplicate anymore, so you lose potential ones too.

              What pisses ME off is if people care about what other people do with their body/life, if it doesn't affect you then who cares?? My mom is a smoker, and it's freaking annoying because I don't want to inhale the smoke so I want her to quit or to smoke outside, but I don't care if she smokes because that's her own decision and she knows the consequences so whatever floats her boat, as long as I don't have to second-hand smoke.

              Just because it doesn't affect me personally doesn't mean that no one else is affected by it. There are few situations where a person does something that affects them only. Not only that, there are times when a person doesn't know the consequences of their actions. Smokers, of course, are the exception, with the strong anti-smoking message that's been going on for quite a while, but there are many people who don't know that they're destroying themselves slowly and steadily.

                #1448    
              Old July 16th, 2012 (3:34 PM).
              Yoshikko's Avatar
              Yoshikko Yoshikko is offline
              the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
              • Crystal Tier
               
              Join Date: Jul 2011
              Gender: Other
              Nature: Hasty
              Posts: 3,041

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Luck View Post

              Just because it doesn't affect me personally doesn't mean that no one else is affected by it. There are few situations where a person does something that affects them only. Not only that, there are times when a person doesn't know the consequences of their actions. Smokers, of course, are the exception, with the strong anti-smoking message that's been going on for quite a while, but there are many people who don't know that they're destroying themselves slowly and steadily.

              I didn't say that, I said that if it doesn't affect you, then why would you care? I was saying I don't get it why you would stress and fret about something that doesn't affect your own life, not that it didn't affect others..? That was the point lol.

                #1449    
              Old July 16th, 2012 (4:22 PM).
              Luck's Avatar
              Luck Luck is offline
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                 
                Join Date: Nov 2007
                Posts: 6,771

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
                I didn't say that, I said that if it doesn't affect you, then why would you care? I was saying I don't get it why you would stress and fret about something that doesn't affect your own life, not that it didn't affect others..? That was the point lol.

                But that's why people stress over it. Because it generally does affect others. Not caring about something because you aren't personally affected by it is just wrong.

                  #1450    
                Old July 16th, 2012 (4:27 PM).
                TRIFORCE89's Avatar
                TRIFORCE89 TRIFORCE89 is offline
                Guide of Darkness
                • Gold Tier
                 
                Join Date: May 2004
                Location: Temple of Light
                Age: 28
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Quiet
                Posts: 8,128

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
                I imagine eventually, LCD screens or wifi signals will be linked to cancer (if they aren't already--I know there was a big fuss somewhat recently in Ontario high schools about whether or not to allow wifi because it could be a health risk). So yeah, PC would be sort of linked to cancer.

                Also lots of people visit it on their mobile phones and people have been going on and on about those causing cancer for a decade. (Although I think this one was refuted at some point?)

                I think the WiFi is schools fear here actually started because some parent blamed it for causing her kid to have nosebleeds and nightmares.

                Then eventually the teachers claimed a link to cancer.

                And Health Canada says no problem. Or at least, no more of a problem that anything else we have going around. All them microwaves and radio waves and whatnots XD

                __________________
                Closed Thread
                Quick Reply

                Sponsored Links
                Thread Tools

                Posting Rules
                You may not post new threads
                You may not post replies
                You may not post attachments
                You may not edit your posts

                BB code is On
                Smilies are On
                [IMG] code is On
                HTML code is Off

                Forum Jump


                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:44 PM.