Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old July 23rd, 2012 (10:42 AM). Edited August 23rd, 2012 by Spiky-Eared Pichu.
Spiky-Eared Pichu's Avatar
Spiky-Eared Pichu Spiky-Eared Pichu is offline
NDS Hacker/Researcher
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Posts: 257
    Pokémon Gen IV Map Converter
    by Spiky-Eared Pichu


    Pokémon Gen IV Map Converter is my first hacking tool, created to make Gen IV mapping easier. It allows exporting and importing the different sections of a map file as separate files. Editing is planned for the future, but it won't support every section.

    The file formats supported by this tool as of version 0.5 are:
    • Move Permissions files (*.per)
    • Buildings files (*.bld)
    • Nintendo DS Model files (*.nsbmd)
    • Terrain files (*.bdhc)
    The tool has a built-in file checker when opening maps and importing sections. Make sure you're importing the right data. It autodetects the game origin as well, but it can be changed at any time (be careful, incorrect values will lead to map corruption).


    Screenshots





    Download


    http://www.mediafire.com/?0n3fze12zdm034p


    Note: The latest .NET Framework is required to run the tool.

    __________________
    "Hacking has no limits. Don't try anything, DO IT!"

    Jump into DS hacking with SDSME!


    Beta 2 available!!



    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old July 24th, 2012 (5:44 AM).
    Tan and Teal's Avatar
    Tan and Teal Tan and Teal is offline
    DS ROM Hacker
       
      Join Date: Jun 2011
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Careful
      Posts: 58
      We are getting closer to Ds Hacks (with map edits) than ever. Can't wait to try this!
        #3    
      Old July 24th, 2012 (5:52 AM).
      tajaros's Avatar
      tajaros tajaros is offline
      Hi I'm dawg
         
        Join Date: Apr 2012
        Location: Philippines
        Age: 18
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Timid
        Posts: 857
        This, is great Spiky-Eared-Pichu! this will really bring us closer to DS hacking!

        Goodluck on this!
        __________________
          #4    
        Old July 24th, 2012 (5:55 AM).
        pichu2000 pichu2000 is offline
           
          Join Date: Nov 2005
          Gender:
          Posts: 153
          Good idea, really! Maybe I can add support for your extension file (.per, .bld) in my tool (If you give me authorization)
            #5    
          Old July 24th, 2012 (5:59 AM).
          tajaros's Avatar
          tajaros tajaros is offline
          Hi I'm dawg
             
            Join Date: Apr 2012
            Location: Philippines
            Age: 18
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Timid
            Posts: 857
            Oh, I forgot to mention is this compatible for all the 4th gen games, including HGSS?
            __________________
              #6    
            Old July 24th, 2012 (6:08 AM). Edited August 23rd, 2012 by Spiky-Eared Pichu.
            Spiky-Eared Pichu's Avatar
            Spiky-Eared Pichu Spiky-Eared Pichu is offline
            NDS Hacker/Researcher
               
              Join Date: Apr 2010
              Posts: 257
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by pichu2000 View Post
              Good idea, really! Maybe I can add support for your extension file (.per, .bld) in my tool (If you give me authorization)
              Sure you can! These new file formats are just the extracted sections and contain the data, they shouldn't be difficult to implement.

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by tajaros View Post
              Oh, I forgot to mention is this compatible for all the 4th gen games, including HGSS?
              It works with Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver, yes. Just make sure you have selected the right game option when exporting or you'll get files with garbage.


              EDIT: Version 0.4 has been released!
              • Added import button for all the sections
              • Fixed a size calculation bug when importing terrains
              • Added file type check
              • Added automatic game origin detection (but it can be forced)
              __________________
              "Hacking has no limits. Don't try anything, DO IT!"

              Jump into DS hacking with SDSME!


              Beta 2 available!!


                #7    
              Old August 16th, 2012 (2:41 AM).
              Hacker Bisharp's Avatar
              Hacker Bisharp Hacker Bisharp is offline
              Bug reporter
                 
                Join Date: Dec 2011
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Gentle
                Posts: 334
                Wow! This tool is awesome
                Can't wait to try this!
                __________________
                Hacks I support:

                And i'm a good bug reporter. Contact me if you want :D

                  #8    
                Old August 16th, 2012 (2:58 AM). Edited August 16th, 2012 by Tan and Teal.
                Tan and Teal's Avatar
                Tan and Teal Tan and Teal is offline
                DS ROM Hacker
                   
                  Join Date: Jun 2011
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Careful
                  Posts: 58
                  Holy cow! This is the result of switching the .nsbmd files around!

                  http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/4459/ttdemov1copy21425689.png

                  http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4515/ttdemov1copy22425918.png

                  http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/7539/ttdemov1copy23126136.png

                  http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7747/ttdemov1copy24025774.png

                  I'll try other files next.
                  EDIT: http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8528/ttdemov1copy201324.png
                  Canalave City
                    #9    
                  Old August 21st, 2012 (1:56 AM). Edited August 23rd, 2012 by Spiky-Eared Pichu.
                  Spiky-Eared Pichu's Avatar
                  Spiky-Eared Pichu Spiky-Eared Pichu is offline
                  NDS Hacker/Researcher
                     
                    Join Date: Apr 2010
                    Posts: 257
                    Yesterday I got a buildings data viewer working! It shows all the data related to buildings, including coordinates and model indexes. In the future it'll be an editor, and adding/removing models will be possible as well. Here's a picture:



                    In case you want to stay updated on everything related to this tool or my hack, I've signed up on Twitter. Follow me at @Markitus95

                    EDIT: Version 0.5 is now available! Improvements are:

                    -Buildings data editor (supports add/edit/remove)
                    -Locked game origin switch (for your safety)

                    Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?0n3fze12zdm034p
                    __________________
                    "Hacking has no limits. Don't try anything, DO IT!"

                    Jump into DS hacking with SDSME!


                    Beta 2 available!!


                      #10    
                    Old August 23rd, 2012 (9:14 AM).
                    Pike15's Avatar
                    Pike15 Pike15 is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Apr 2012
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 168
                      How do i open a map in pokemon diamond??
                        #11    
                      Old August 23rd, 2012 (9:47 AM).
                      Spiky-Eared Pichu's Avatar
                      Spiky-Eared Pichu Spiky-Eared Pichu is offline
                      NDS Hacker/Researcher
                         
                        Join Date: Apr 2010
                        Posts: 257
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Pike15 View Post
                        How do i open a map in pokemon diamond??
                        You need to unpack the file that contains the maps. The included readme file explains which file has to be unpacked, but I'll tell you anyways. It's "/fielddata/land_data/land_data_release.narc"

                        Also, for those who downloaded version 0.5 before this post was written, please redownload it again, your HGSS maps are in danger (I fixed a corruption bug). Sorry!
                        __________________
                        "Hacking has no limits. Don't try anything, DO IT!"

                        Jump into DS hacking with SDSME!


                        Beta 2 available!!


                          #12    
                        Old August 24th, 2012 (12:33 PM).
                        Pike15's Avatar
                        Pike15 Pike15 is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Apr 2012
                          Gender: Male
                          Posts: 168
                          Yes i did do that but i cant open land_data_realease.narc
                            #13    
                          Old August 26th, 2012 (10:25 AM). Edited August 26th, 2012 by Spiky-Eared Pichu.
                          Spiky-Eared Pichu's Avatar
                          Spiky-Eared Pichu Spiky-Eared Pichu is offline
                          NDS Hacker/Researcher
                             
                            Join Date: Apr 2010
                            Posts: 257
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Pike15 View Post
                            Yes i did do that but i cant open land_data_realease.narc
                            You have to UNPACK it to a folder, and then open its files with the tool. NDS Editor is a good program to unpack .narc files.

                            EDIT: I've got a Move Permission Editor working, although it has saving disabled for now. Here's Route 202 in it:



                            The colours for each permission are stored in a text file and they can be changed to whatever you like the most. The Buildings Editor will have a map viewer similar to this one, but smaller
                            __________________
                            "Hacking has no limits. Don't try anything, DO IT!"

                            Jump into DS hacking with SDSME!


                            Beta 2 available!!


                              #14    
                            Old August 27th, 2012 (1:47 PM).
                            Pike15's Avatar
                            Pike15 Pike15 is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Apr 2012
                              Gender: Male
                              Posts: 168
                              Awsome i gonna try if it workz right now thanks alot ;D
                                #15    
                              Old August 27th, 2012 (2:17 PM).
                              hinkage's Avatar
                              hinkage hinkage is offline
                              Everyone currently in an argument with this member: I really suggest you stop.
                              • Gold Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Aug 2010
                              Age: 22
                              Posts: 378
                              Did you extract those movement permissions directly? If so, the "02" and "3B" permissions match up with the ones in gen three ("tall grass animation" and "Person jumps down over block," respectively.) Weird.


                              Anyway, I have an idea for a map editor. I think anything that isn't a 3D model is a 2D tile (as shown above with how movement permissions are handled), so therefore we just need an A-Map that works with a z-axis, in layers. I believe this might be sort of how Game Freak did it: 2D tiles on a 3D plane.

                              For this to work, this new A-Map-esque program could be made to change only what is on the axis you are on. For example, if you want to edit a water tile on "z, -1", selecting "-1" for the z axis will only show/allow editing of tiles on -1. If you want to change a flower on "z, 0", just select "0" for the z axis. If a mountain tile is on z axis 2, select "2", etc.


                              I know there's already a map viewer for 4th gen, so maybe that could be made to edit the tiles, too.
                              I'm not sure if any of this has been thought up already/can't be done with the current knowledge of 4th gen map loading/etc., so I might've just wasted everyone's time xD
                              __________________
                              (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
                                #16    
                              Old August 28th, 2012 (1:48 AM).
                              Spiky-Eared Pichu's Avatar
                              Spiky-Eared Pichu Spiky-Eared Pichu is offline
                              NDS Hacker/Researcher
                                 
                                Join Date: Apr 2010
                                Posts: 257
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
                                Did you extract those movement permissions directly? If so, the "02" and "3B" permissions match up with the ones in gen three ("tall grass animation" and "Person jumps down over block," respectively.) Weird.


                                Anyway, I have an idea for a map editor. I think anything that isn't a 3D model is a 2D tile (as shown above with how movement permissions are handled), so therefore we just need an A-Map that works with a z-axis, in layers. I believe this might be sort of how Game Freak did it: 2D tiles on a 3D plane.

                                For this to work, this new A-Map-esque program could be made to change only what is on the axis you are on. For example, if you want to edit a water tile on "z, -1", selecting "-1" for the z axis will only show/allow editing of tiles on -1. If you want to change a flower on "z, 0", just select "0" for the z axis. If a mountain tile is on z axis 2, select "2", etc.


                                I know there's already a map viewer for 4th gen, so maybe that could be made to edit the tiles, too.
                                I'm not sure if any of this has been thought up already/can't be done with the current knowledge of 4th gen map loading/etc., so I might've just wasted everyone's time xD
                                The values shown in that picture are extracted directly from the game, so yes, they match many of the RSE ones.

                                As for real map editing, Gen IV maps (and the same goes for Gen V) aren't made up of 2D data in a 3D plane. Each map is a true 3D model, composed of vertices and triangles. That's why they are difficult to edit: because we need a full 3D modeller.

                                However, this tool already supports importing/exporting of models in the native Nintendo DS models. There's a way to create them from 3ds studio max, but it involves official Nintendo plugins, and I can't post links to them (it's like posting a rom). But I will make a tutorial on them soon.

                                Also, I've started working on another tool. I can't say anything about it because I want it to be a surprise, but I'll only say one thing: it's gonna be HUGE :D
                                __________________
                                "Hacking has no limits. Don't try anything, DO IT!"

                                Jump into DS hacking with SDSME!


                                Beta 2 available!!


                                  #17    
                                Old August 28th, 2012 (2:44 AM).
                                805587804 805587804 is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: Dec 2010
                                  Posts: 57
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Spiky-Eared Pichu View Post
                                  You have to UNPACK it to a folder, and then open its files with the tool. NDS Editor is a good program to unpack .narc files.

                                  EDIT: I've got a Move Permission Editor working, although it has saving disabled for now. Here's Route 202 in it:



                                  The colours for each permission are stored in a text file and they can be changed to whatever you like the most. The Buildings Editor will have a map viewer similar to this one, but smaller
                                  Why do I install NET Framework V4.0 or not to open the fourth generation of the Pokemon converter tools?
                                  (Note: Double-click reaction)
                                    #18    
                                  Old August 28th, 2012 (4:33 AM).
                                  hinkage's Avatar
                                  hinkage hinkage is offline
                                  Everyone currently in an argument with this member: I really suggest you stop.
                                  • Gold Tier
                                   
                                  Join Date: Aug 2010
                                  Age: 22
                                  Posts: 378
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Spiky-Eared Pichu View Post
                                  The values shown in that picture are extracted directly from the game, so yes, they match many of the RSE ones.

                                  As for real map editing, Gen IV maps (and the same goes for Gen V) aren't made up of 2D data in a 3D plane. Each map is a true 3D model, composed of vertices and triangles. That's why they are difficult to edit: because we need a full 3D modeller.

                                  However, this tool already supports importing/exporting of models in the native Nintendo DS models. There's a way to create them from 3ds studio max, but it involves official Nintendo plugins, and I can't post links to them (it's like posting a rom). But I will make a tutorial on them soon.

                                  Also, I've started working on another tool. I can't say anything about it because I want it to be a surprise, but I'll only say one thing: it's gonna be HUGE :D
                                  Really? Then WHY DID THEY DESIGN IT TO LOOK LIKE TILES? -_- Game Freak, pls.

                                  I know of a tool called BrawlBox which allows viewing/editing of 3D models in Super Smash Bros. Brawl (it's designed almost exactly like A-Map too), so it's not at all impossible to do it for Pokemon. Your program is great to even be able to edit models so easily, but if you could do something like BBox, I think that would really get people into 4th gen hacking.
                                    #19    
                                  Old August 28th, 2012 (5:00 AM).
                                  Tan and Teal's Avatar
                                  Tan and Teal Tan and Teal is offline
                                  DS ROM Hacker
                                     
                                    Join Date: Jun 2011
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Careful
                                    Posts: 58
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Spiky-Eared Pichu View Post
                                    As for real map editing, Gen IV maps (and the same goes for Gen V) aren't made up of 2D data in a 3D plane. Each map is a true 3D model, composed of vertices and triangles. That's why they are difficult to edit: because we need a full 3D modeller.

                                    However, this tool already supports importing/exporting of models in the native Nintendo DS models. There's a way to create them from 3ds studio max, but it involves official Nintendo plugins, and I can't post links to them (it's like posting a rom). But I will make a tutorial on them soon.

                                    Also, I've started working on another tool. I can't say anything about it because I want it to be a surprise, but I'll only say one thing: it's gonna be HUGE :D
                                    DS map editing may be hard, but we've come so far already. There are so many tools for the ds (not as many as for Game Boy+GBA), including this one and the one you are working on. Can't wait for it BTW.
                                    ps I may or may not be working on one myself.

                                    And you can even create 3d models too!? That's awesome!
                                      #20    
                                    Old August 31st, 2012 (3:56 PM). Edited September 1st, 2012 by Pike15.
                                    Pike15's Avatar
                                    Pike15 Pike15 is offline
                                       
                                      Join Date: Apr 2012
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Posts: 168
                                      How long have you came with the next version??

                                      a little hacking and finally i created a mart in twinleaf town. And i messed up all other buildings too lolz
                                        #21    
                                      Old September 1st, 2012 (11:52 AM).
                                      JackHack96's Avatar
                                      JackHack96 JackHack96 is offline
                                      Little Hacker
                                         
                                        Join Date: Jul 2012
                                        Location: Italy
                                        Age: 21
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Nature: Relaxed
                                        Posts: 114
                                        Woah! That's very nice! This tool is very useful, especially if you use it together with pichu2000's NPRE! Finally I haven't to use Crystal Tile!
                                        Thank very much! =D
                                        __________________
                                        There are some things hackers can't hack. For everything else, there's Crystal Tile! :D

                                        Visit my website, Hack Rom Tools, here you can find useful tools for ROM hacking.
                                          #22    
                                        Old September 3rd, 2012 (6:31 PM).
                                        Nick Nick is offline
                                        Banned
                                           
                                          Join Date: Nov 2009
                                          Age: 19
                                          Posts: 5,220
                                          I don't think it's a good idea to use four or five-letter extensions, to be honest. It might pose compatibility issues with dual-OS programs. No, I don't mean OSX or *NIX, but things like SNESedit with DOS — even though Hex workshop exists, few ROM hackers want to throw money at something that has functional free alternatives.

                                          Then again, it may just be my personal opinion that three-letter extensions are best, but it might be wise to stick with them just in case.


                                          Also, two very popular games occupy the .per file extension, which are Age of Empires/Rise of Rome, and Age of Empires II (Age of Kings)/The Conquerors. These games use .per files as personality files to tag with artificial intelligence files (.ai) that they use. So, I wouldn't advise using it.

                                          Again, these things are just what I think. You're welcome to keep or change them—its ultimately up to you of course. :D
                                            #23    
                                          Old September 23rd, 2012 (4:15 PM).
                                          Link_971's Avatar
                                          Link_971 Link_971 is offline
                                          French Rom-Hacker
                                             
                                            Join Date: Jul 2006
                                            Location: France
                                            Age: 25
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Relaxed
                                            Posts: 212
                                            Good idea, i will maybe rewrite my tool with a full support of these extensions.


                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by AlexTheRose View Post
                                            I don't think it's a good idea to use four or five-letter extensions, to be honest. It might pose compatibility issues with dual-OS programs. No, I don't mean OSX or *NIX, but things like SNESedit with DOS — even though Hex workshop exists, few ROM hackers want to throw money at something that has functional free alternatives.

                                            Then again, it may just be my personal opinion that three-letter extensions are best, but it might be wise to stick with them just in case.


                                            Also, two very popular games occupy the .per file extension, which are Age of Empires/Rise of Rome, and Age of Empires II (Age of Kings)/The Conquerors. These games use .per files as personality files to tag with artificial intelligence files (.ai) that they use. So, I wouldn't advise using it.

                                            Again, these things are just what I think. You're welcome to keep or change them—its ultimately up to you of course. :D


                                            Yes, that's why i suggest more search for the two first extensions
                                            __________________

                                              #24    
                                            Old December 13th, 2012 (5:52 AM).
                                            Pike15's Avatar
                                            Pike15 Pike15 is offline
                                               
                                              Join Date: Apr 2012
                                              Gender: Male
                                              Posts: 168
                                              only get invalid map when i try to open the fielddata narc thing
                                              __________________
                                              This signature has been disabled.
                                              Exceeding 350px height limit
                                              Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

                                              You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

                                              Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
                                                #25    
                                              Old December 13th, 2012 (4:45 PM).
                                              DrFuji's Avatar
                                              DrFuji DrFuji is offline
                                              Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                                              • Crystal Tier
                                               
                                              Join Date: Sep 2009
                                              Location: Downia-upside
                                              Age: 24
                                              Gender: Male
                                              Nature: Jolly
                                              Posts: 1,328
                                              Pike15, please don't bump threads that haven't been posted in for over a month.

                                              Spiky-Eared Pichu, if you would like this thread to be reopened then just message either myself or giradialkia.
                                              __________________
                                              Closed Thread

                                              Quick Reply

                                              Join the conversation!

                                              Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                              Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                              Sponsored Links
                                              Thread Tools

                                              Posting Rules
                                              You may not post new threads
                                              You may not post replies
                                              You may not post attachments
                                              You may not edit your posts

                                              BB code is On
                                              Smilies are On
                                              [IMG] code is On
                                              HTML code is Off

                                              Forum Jump


                                              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:17 AM.