The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Off-Topic
Is regular school overrated?

Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old September 12th, 2012 (10:01 AM).
timelessgold's Avatar
timelessgold timelessgold is offline
Forever golden~
     
    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Location: East Coast
    Age: 20
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Jolly
    Posts: 4
    Wow, your story is quite interesting. 14 hours of sleep? I'm jealous. D: However, I can say as someone that goes to a public school, yes and no.

    I say yes, because public schooling opens up far more opportunities for bullying and distractions. I was at one point diagnosed with depression because I was bullied so much in school for being poor. Also, there are tons of distractions, such as sleep, that can interrupt learning. Where I go to school, we start the day at 7:20. That is far too early. Because of that, large amounts of students fall asleep in class.

    However, I also think that public schooling is a really good idea for those who can handle it. You receive irreplaceable social experience and you are opened up to so many different ideas. For example, I started getting into Pokemon in 4th or 5th grade because a friend of mine loved it and told me all about it. Also, I like the challenge of doing work in a class, and the experience of different teachers giving me knowledge about many different subjects.

    There's lots of pros and cons, and I'm not really sure if the pros outweigh the cons or not. It just all depends on the person, in my opinion.
    __________________
    Lost and insecure, you found me.
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #27    
    Old September 12th, 2012 (6:36 PM).
    sab's Avatar
    sab sab is offline
    Now too much of a life.
       
      Join Date: Jul 2008
      Location: Midgar
      Age: 20
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Timid
      Posts: 995
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by timelessgold View Post
      Wow, your story is quite interesting. 14 hours of sleep? I'm jealous. D: However, I can say as someone that goes to a public school, yes and no.

      I say yes, because public schooling opens up far more opportunities for bullying and distractions. I was at one point diagnosed with depression because I was bullied so much in school for being poor. Also, there are tons of distractions, such as sleep, that can interrupt learning. Where I go to school, we start the day at 7:20. That is far too early. Because of that, large amounts of students fall asleep in class.

      However, I also think that public schooling is a really good idea for those who can handle it. You receive irreplaceable social experience and you are opened up to so many different ideas. For example, I started getting into Pokemon in 4th or 5th grade because a friend of mine loved it and told me all about it. Also, I like the challenge of doing work in a class, and the experience of different teachers giving me knowledge about many different subjects.

      There's lots of pros and cons, and I'm not really sure if the pros outweigh the cons or not. It just all depends on the person, in my opinion.
      Wait... 7:20 isn't that bad, I'm homeschooled and I start school at 6:30, and it generally goes to about 8:30. 7 days a week, although I am counting homework into that. Being bullied in public school sucks. I've been there, but since I never liked social interactions for as long as I can remember, I just avoided everyone, and was more or less fine. Occasionally I had to pay people money, but for the most part if you want to be away from everyone you can avoid most stuff. As for the social interactions I have 2 chess clubs that I go to, a couple of classes I drive to that have other people, boy scouts, etc. basically you just have to go out of your way more for social stuff. I can't side with you more on the last point though. It definatly depends on the person. If they are willing to look outside of a class environment for friends homeschooling is great. Also pretty much no matter where you go, there will be a group of people who are also homeschooling so you can interact with them if you desire. For people who are really social, or can't afford the enormous fees for books and such, homeschooling would be awful. Also some people have parents who would be good "teachers" and some don't. It really all depends on how social you are, and how much your willing to work for your education as to how successful it will be.
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #28    
      Old September 12th, 2012 (6:45 PM).
      Katamari's Avatar
      Katamari Katamari is offline
         
        Join Date: Sep 2012
        Posts: 1,580
        Would like to note something that's been made a point of in this thread.

        Good manners and sharp social skills are generally developed in the home. Not in public school. I've found that even in any form of schooling, you get any and every type of kid. I can guarantee that most of us have seen several kids throughout grade school that we just think are weird, creepy, or just plain strange.

        They don't learn that behavior in school.

        I've seen classmates from years ago in college now that still act as awkward as they did back then. And some as stupid as ever, and some as annoying as ever, etc.

        The only change in behavior I generally see is extroversion and introversion; some of the soft-spoken classmates are more outspoken and some have calmed down compared to their hyper middle school days. Other than that, I haven't really noticed any change in social skills (more witty remarks, more interesting, blah blah).

        I have noticed that some of the former classmates that have jobs now are more confident, but that's probably more along the lines of independence and responsibility.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #29    
        Old October 7th, 2012 (4:43 PM).
        Livewire's Avatar
        Livewire Livewire is offline
        • Platinum Tier
         
        Join Date: Jul 2009
        Location: Sunnyshore City
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Adamant
        Posts: 14,264
        From an educational perspective, that depends. Some school districts are excellent and churn out great students. And you cannot understate the importance of socializing and people skills to young kids & teenagers.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #30    
        Old October 8th, 2012 (5:35 AM).
        Guillermo's Avatar
        Guillermo Guillermo is offline
        i own a rabbit heh
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Jul 2008
        Location: Australia
        Age: 22
        Posts: 6,799
        It all comes down to the student. If they are keen to learn and want to make something of themselves, regardless of what school they go to whether it's online, at home, private or public, they will do well academically or at least try their hardest. Of course, in schools it's much easier to get distracted, get bullied, etc. I don't think it's fair to measure someone's intelligence on what school they go to - I know plenty of kids that go to public schools that are smart as hell, but either don't have the opportunties to move school due to expenses or because they like the friends they have at their current school.
        __________________
        credittoDukey
        one life, one chance


        | | le deux | | so-so-soulful
        Reply With Quote
          #31    
        Old November 2nd, 2012 (10:09 AM).
        Livewire's Avatar
        Livewire Livewire is offline
        • Platinum Tier
         
        Join Date: Jul 2009
        Location: Sunnyshore City
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Adamant
        Posts: 14,264
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Guillermo View Post
        I don't think it's fair to measure someone's intelligence on what school they go to - I know plenty of kids that go to public schools that are smart as hell, but either don't have the opportunties to move school due to expenses or because they like the friends they have at their current school.
        I agree. You aren't automatically smart becuase you attend a nice 12,000 bucks a year private prep school. And you shouldn't be automatically considered non-intelligent becuase you go to an inner city public school.
        Reply With Quote
          #32    
        Old November 2nd, 2012 (10:13 AM).
        Oryx's Avatar
        Oryx Oryx is offline
        CoquettishCat
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Mar 2011
        Age: 24
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Relaxed
        Posts: 13,204
        I think that's a bit of a strawman in this discussion - is anyone arguing that your intelligence is inextricably linked to what kind of school you attend?
        __________________


        Theme * Pair * VM * PM

        Not all men...

        Are all men stupid?

        That's right.

        Reply With Quote
          #33    
        Old November 2nd, 2012 (10:15 AM).
        Livewire's Avatar
        Livewire Livewire is offline
        • Platinum Tier
         
        Join Date: Jul 2009
        Location: Sunnyshore City
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Adamant
        Posts: 14,264
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
        I think that's a bit of a strawman in this discussion - is anyone arguing that your intelligence is inextricably linked to what kind of school you attend?
        No, but I'd be willing to bet that's a stereotype or generalization that some people have.
        Reply With Quote
          #34    
        Old November 12th, 2012 (4:25 PM).
        Autistic Lucario's Avatar
        Autistic Lucario Autistic Lucario is offline
        Life is too short not to enjoy
           
          Join Date: Jun 2009
          Location: England
          Age: 24
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Quirky
          Posts: 333
          In regular school, kids get taught what to think rather than how to think for themselves.
          __________________


          A Lucario named Zeke ventures into a forest one night and enters a portal,
          then he enters a world where stealth, skill, and his neurological disorder will determine his fate.
          This is not trainer vs trainer or pokemon vs pokemon, this is something greater. This is survival.


          Credit goes to me
          Reply With Quote
            #35    
          Old November 12th, 2012 (4:45 PM).
          Nihilego's Avatar
          Nihilego Nihilego is offline
          ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト
          • Administrator
           
          Join Date: Apr 2011
          Location: Manchester
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 8,640
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Autistic Lucario View Post
          In regular school, kids get taught what to think rather than how to think for themselves.
          Can you elaborate on that? As said in this thread already, if you want to be successful in regular school, you have to think and work for yourself because you're not given everything by one single person or several people who cater for you. No-one can teach someone how to think for themselves but regular schooling certainly promotes independence.
          __________________
          s͎̭̚ ̪ͭͩy͔͚̰̻̗̩̺ͣ́ͨ̌͡ ̩̳̙̖̖̺͡m̷̱̘͎̝̘̣͒͌͒̚ ͇͖̔̐̔b̝̪͚̞̦ͬ ̢͔̱̟̞̝͙̮͌̅̈̓̿̿i͐̈̃͊ͯ̎҉̟̠͓ ͕̥̣̪̠̃͑͞ỏ̵͕̠̱̬̬̞͛̋ ̨͈̻̱̟̱͓̪n͒̒͂͊̀ ̻̰̰̜̅̃͒̂͞tͭ̍̈́ ͙͇̘͕͍̜̖ͫ̌̊̿ͫ̂̀:̵̾͒̔͂ ̟͉̜̽͒͌͜p͎͇͎̦̺̙͒͆͋́ͅ ̨̠̠̘͚͖̺ͫ͛̎̉a̲͍̫͖͗̄ ͓͖͍̯̤̼͙̿̆̂̂̄r̬̟̮͖̥̼̆̓͑̃̾ͬ̉͟ͅ ̬̼̗͊͛a̛̯̮ ̮̬͍̙̮̤́ͪŝ͊ͬ̒̎̃ ̧̝̮͎͙͆̓ì͈̹̻̱̾͝ ̘͉͕̭̊ͤ̉̓tͩͯ̉̐ͨͬ̚͏̻̺̖̮ ̞̘͂̋̋ͯ͑ͦ͗e̞͔̎̇ͫ͊͗
          Reply With Quote
            #36    
          Old November 12th, 2012 (5:32 PM).
          Autistic Lucario's Avatar
          Autistic Lucario Autistic Lucario is offline
          Life is too short not to enjoy
             
            Join Date: Jun 2009
            Location: England
            Age: 24
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Quirky
            Posts: 333
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Razor Leaf View Post
            Can you elaborate on that? As said in this thread already, if you want to be successful in regular school, you have to think and work for yourself because you're not given everything by one single person or several people who cater for you. No-one can teach someone how to think for themselves but regular schooling certainly promotes independence.
            I learned more from the 2 years I've spent outside of school than the 10+ years I spent in class. From my experience, schools don't teach you to learn new things as much as they teach you to repeat old things. And if you don't do as you're told, you're punished somehow. I found middle and high school to be very difficult learning environments. For one thing, I was put in Anger Management, isolated from the rest of the school for a year, and I was suspended from school regularly, almost expelled at one point. I had problems which prevented me from learning the things they tried to teach me, but instead of trying to fix the problems, they tried to fix me as if I was the problem. They don't focus on the root cause of problems; they only try to treat the symptoms while the root cause of school-related problems goes unnoticed or even ignored as I've had the pleasure of experiencing in middle school. During 6th and 7th grade, I was bullied, teased, attacked, even kicked in the nads once by a girl much bigger than me, wearing high-heels and publicly humiliated at age 12. My special-ed teachers took advantage of my behavior problems because they had a grudge against my mom. I was slapped in the face by one of them for arguing with her and suspended by another for not doing my homework. The principal was oblivious to the fact that I was running around the school, chasing people to beat the stuffing out of them during emotional breakdowns I had at least once a week while I was locked outside my classroom, all the kids making faces at me. I was put on med after med after med, and it only caused me to gain food allergies and more than 100 lb in weight; I'm just now starting to burn it all off.

            Maybe this is why kids don't like public school very much. You really think that regular schooling promotes independence? I felt enslaved. 2 years after graduation, I'm still dependent on my parents. But at least I can think for myself now, many thanks to the videos I've been watching on youtube that teach you how to think for yourself. I was never taught how to be independent in the schools I attended.
            Reply With Quote
              #37    
            Old November 12th, 2012 (5:49 PM).
            Khawill's Avatar
            Khawill Khawill is offline
            Swaggins
            • Silver Tier
             
            Join Date: Aug 2012
            Location: The Cave of Hymns
            Age: 20
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Brave
            Posts: 1,558
            To be fair public schools do not have the resources to deal with any single student's problems. I've been to 10 different ones and I can honestly say that public school isn't for kids who need individual help, it is for kids who can learn and understand with only a moderate amount of guidance. Public school simply gives you the tools to learn, the instruction to do, the motivation to try, and a little bit of discipline to top it all off.

            Schools are not meant to teach independence either, that is you parent's job. Public school isn't something to replace what your parents should be teaching you (much like Azealea said), if you think school is there to fix your problems then you are mistaken.

            Public school is not for everyone, it welcomes everyone, but it isn't for everyone. Private school's are much better education wise, people with a lot of money or a lot of motivation should be the ones going there. People who need to be watched constantly, gets in trouble a lot, or "hates public school" should get home-schooled. (Those are not the only reason to be home schooled, home schooling is a legit method of education and I respect it). The less people wasting public school resources, time, and space the better.
            __________________
            College Bound, Mentally Sound.

            Frio & Elise || Jayce & Jayce 2
            Reply With Quote
              #38    
            Old November 12th, 2012 (6:09 PM).
            SoulSilver10112's Avatar
            SoulSilver10112 SoulSilver10112 is offline
            George the Poliwag
               
              Join Date: Jun 2012
              Gender: Female
              Posts: 139
              I've been public, private, and homeschooled, and I know what it's like for all three. In my local public school, the teachers can be really nice, but depending on who you are, kids can get really mean and interfere with learning. I'm unusual compared to the other kids in my grade so, I got spitballed, had books thrown at me, got sworn at, and was made fun of for bad reasons. Usually, the teachers and even the principal, are couldn't help. They tried their best, but the other kids remained rather mean.
              In the private school I went to, was probably the best school years ever. But, they had no enrichment or extra help for some students who either need more of a challenge, or need a bit of help. The private schools usually have a stricter dress code, too. I couldn't wear jeans, and no shirts with words on them. Unlike public school, the kids were fewer but friendlier, and I considered every classmate a friend of mine. We had sleds for winter recess, and we could play dodgeball in indoor recess, and we could even play computer during snack. It was a great experience for me.
              I am currently homeschooled, which worked better for me than public school, and the private school I went to ends at 6th grade, so it's good. I get to make my own lunch, and I can wear pajamas to school. Bullies are not a problem, but it can get very lonely if you're a very social person. I end my days faster, and have longer summers. Also, it's more flexible, if you have a dentist appointment, you don't have any homework to catch up to, and you can get away with drawing in class. I can also take a break without having to ask, I just have to pause my video. This is how different schools worked for me as an individual.
              __________________
              Soulsilver FC: 0562 4179 9801
              Black 2 FC: 3526 0102 7313

              Challenges:
              Heartgold Nuzlocke: Completed!
              Pearl Nuzlocke: Completed!
              Heartgold Gender Discrimination Challenge: Completed!
              Reply With Quote
              Reply
              Quick Reply

              Sponsored Links
              Thread Tools

              Posting Rules
              You may not post new threads
              You may not post replies
              You may not post attachments
              You may not edit your posts

              BB code is On
              Smilies are On
              [IMG] code is On
              HTML code is Off

              Forum Jump


              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:10 PM.