Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old September 1st, 2012 (8:25 PM).

sorry if this is in the wrong section.

at the moment im only able to edit scripts so my knowledge in scripting is limited, im wanting to learn how to script from scratch i found some tutorials on other sites which have been useful, but little confusing for the tutorials is either for editing the menu screen or making a class selection screen which has helped a little with what i want to do.

the thing i want to start with is to learn how to make a simple selection screen with say ten options that if you have enough points gained (which would be added via script call.) the option chosen would increase a specific variable.

for example my hero just completed a quest, as a reward the hero receives 1 point via script call the hero can then accesses the menu that distributes the points so in the menu would be for example

Cooking
    Thievery
    smithing
    Chemistry

Then if i have enough points the hero can choose a option that will increase a variable predetermined to that option.

( just to be clear i don’t want this script done for me what i would like however is to know were to look/begin or a little mentoring. so it is more specific to what i want to be able to do rather than being confused over a tutorial teaching me how to make a class selection screen which is kind of helpful but confusing since im not too sure what parts are relevant and what are not)

sorry if this is to vague or to much. im just not really to sure were to start.
    p-Sign
    Clowcardruler
    Maruno
    Venom12
    FL .
    Help-14
    zingzag
    rick1234

Relevant Advertising!

Old September 2nd, 2012 (12:03 PM).
    • Platinum Tier

Nature: Calm
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadowriver View Post
    sorry if this is in the wrong section.

at the moment im only able to edit scripts so my knowledge in scripting is limited, im wanting to learn how to script from scratch i found some tutorials on other sites which have been useful, but little confusing for the tutorials is either for editing the menu screen or making a class selection screen which has helped a little with what i want to do.

the thing i want to start with is to learn how to make a simple selection screen with say ten options that if you have enough points gained (which would be added via script call.) the option chosen would increase a specific variable.

for example my hero just completed a quest, as a reward the hero receives 1 point via script call the hero can then accesses the menu that distributes the points so in the menu would be for example

Cooking
    Thievery
    smithing
    Chemistry

Then if i have enough points the hero can choose a option that will increase a variable predetermined to that option.

( just to be clear i don’t want this script done for me what i would like however is to know were to look/begin or a little mentoring. so it is more specific to what i want to be able to do rather than being confused over a tutorial teaching me how to make a class selection screen which is kind of helpful but confusing since im not too sure what parts are relevant and what are not)

sorry if this is to vague or to much. im just not really to sure were to start.
    Like This:

Code:
    def getMenu()
      default=1
      cmdwin=pbListWindow([],200)
      commands= ["Button 1", "Button 2"]
      ret=pbCommands2(cmdwin,commands,-1,default-1,true) 
      cmdwin.dispose
      if ret >= 0
        return commands[ret]
      end
      return -1
    end

def function()
      chosen = getMenu()
      if (chosen == 1)
        # button 1 commands
      elsif (chosen == 2)
        # button 2 commands
      end
    end
    I might got the 1 and 2 wrong (might be 0 and 1)
    Old September 4th, 2012 (3:09 PM).

thank you for that, but looking at that im a little confused what does that bit of script do,my gess is that its just the options buttens but im not sure.
      p-Sign
      Clowcardruler
      Maruno
      Venom12
      FL .
      Help-14
      zingzag
      rick1234
      Old September 5th, 2012 (6:50 PM).
      the hearts of lonely people
      • Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
      This isn't a tutorial or a resource so I'm going to have to lock this. Post in the Essentials section or the main Game Development section if you need help.

Quick Reply