• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Growing out of Pokemon, help!

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I can't go on pretending that the games still satisfy me, because they bore me so much, as does the anime. I really hoped that the games would have matured alongside me, but nothing's really changed. However, Pokemon was a huge part of my childhood, and something that I can't let go of. I love looking at Pokemon artwork, but without the interaction it's not engaging enough. I like the idea of creating Pokemon art myself, but I'm a perfectionist and my lack of artistic ability would frustrate me. I also like coming here and speculating about what Pokemon games would be like if they had more detail, but there's only so much of that you can do.

What other things do you guys do around the theme of Pokemon to entertain yourselves?

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
    Years
  • There's plenty of detail in the new Pokemon games.

Maybe apart from the blurry sprites on the Pokemon Battles in B/W-B2/W2.

Honestly, for me, that's the only fault I find in the newer games. Everything else has completely advanced. Somewhat random weather effects, Amazing 3D detail, SEASONS, Pokemon that change based on SEASONS. It's all just really cool to me, anyway.

If you're feeling down on Pokemon, don't worry about it. I had a phase where Pokemon bored me to, but I never let it drag me far down enough to actually hate the series. Deep down I still loved Pokemon, I guess it was just my brain that needed to take a break from the whole RPG/Turn-based genre.

All in all, It's up to you if you want to quit playing. I can completely understand if you'd want to, but everything is worth a second chance, eh? ;)

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    There's plenty of detail in the new Pokemon games.

Maybe apart from the blurry sprites on the Pokemon Battles in B/W-B2/W2.

Honestly, for me, that's the only fault I find in the newer games. Everything else has completely advanced. Somewhat random weather effects, Amazing 3D detail, SEASONS, Pokemon that change based on SEASONS. It's all just really cool to me, anyway.

If you're feeling down on Pokemon, don't worry about it. I had a phase where Pokemon bored me to, but I never let it drag me far down enough to actually hate the series. Deep down I still loved Pokemon, I guess it was just my brain that needed to take a break from the whole RPG/Turn-based genre.

All in all, It's up to you if you want to quit playing. I can completely understand if you'd want to, but everything is worth a second chance, eh? ;)

What I mean is, the slow pace of the game, the lack of intellectual challenge. I guess I was just expecting the gameplay to be a bit more stimulating by now, I expected that I could control my Pokemon in a 3D environment with a PS3 controller and be able to jump and fly and run and teleport and swim and that I'd be able to bring all the attacks to life, and I expected there to be a massive 3D world to explore with big cities. I know it's wishful thinking but I'm disappointed that there's been very little indication that Pokemon will move on from the same old format.

As for the anime, have you seen the video on YouTube of the trailer for B2/W2? That's what I expected from Ash. I wanted him to grow up alongside me, like the Harry Potter kids, not stay the same age.

The designs of some of the new Pokemon have grown on me so that's one good thing. And I like the double and triple battle systems.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
    Years
  • What I mean is, the slow pace of the game, the lack of intellectual challenge. I guess I was just expecting the gameplay to be a bit more stimulating by now, I expected that I could control my Pokemon in a 3D environment with a PS3 controller and be able to jump and fly and run and teleport and swim and that I'd be able to bring all the attacks to life, and I expected there to be a massive 3D world to explore with big cities. I know it's wishful thinking but I'm disappointed that there's been very little indication that Pokemon will move on from the same old format.

As for the anime, have you seen the video on YouTube of the trailer for B2/W2? That's what I expected from Ash. I wanted him to grow up alongside me, like the Harry Potter kids, not stay the same age.

The designs of some of the new Pokemon have grown on me so that's one good thing. And I like the double and triple battle systems.

Actually, according to Nintendo, the only reason Ash didn't age is so that Pokemon would continue to appeal to a young audience.

Though I agree that they could've had him age, and be replaced by a different protagonist, It's all up to Nintendo I'm afraid.

...and yes, I do agree that the challenge isn't as hard as it should be for an older demographic, but that's once again, something that I'm afraid Nintedo isn't trying to appeal to, and It probably won't change. I guess It's still challenging without grinding your pokemon to higher levels, but I can totally see the point you're trying to make.

In all honesty, I only play the Pokemon games for the variety. The new types, duo-types and just more Pokemon in general. I can't see someone else sharing my exact same feelings, but I can still understand why you'd be less inclined to continue playing the games.

If you DO decide to leave, you will be missed. :) Thanks for allowing me to share my thoughts. XD (Never thought I'd get this far o_o)

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • I have an idea:

Go find a game series that has all the things you want in it.

If Pokemon is simply not captivating you any more then go find a video game series that does. This is not rocket science.

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    Actually, according to Nintendo, the only reason Ash didn't age is so that Pokemon would continue to appeal to a young audience.

Though I agree that they could've had him age, and be replaced by a different protagonist, It's all up to Nintendo I'm afraid.

...and yes, I do agree that the challenge isn't as hard as it should be for an older demographic, but that's once again, something that I'm afraid Nintedo isn't trying to appeal to, and It probably won't change. I guess It's still challenging without grinding your pokemon to higher levels, but I can totally see the point you're trying to make.

In all honesty, I only play the Pokemon games for the variety. The new types, duo-types and just more Pokemon in general. I can't see someone else sharing my exact same feelings, but I can still understand why you'd be less inclined to continue playing the games.

Hmm I really wish I could still enjoy them, but I've used all the Pokemon that I have interest in using.

Maybe in 50 years time, my fantasy will be real. I'll be able to plug myself in to a virtual reality machine and live in the Pokemon world.

If you DO decide to leave, you will be missed. :) Thanks for allowing me to share my thoughts. XD (Never thought I'd get this far o_o)

I'm confused by this. 50 posts in like a year and I'll be missed? I won't be leaving the forum any time soon, I'm just saying that I'm looking for a new way to express my feelings for Pokemon, to engage in some new kind of Pokemon themed hobby.

I have an idea:

Go find a game series that has all the things you want in it.

If Pokemon is simply not captivating you any more then go find a video game series that does. This is not rocket science.

Regardless of whether there are other game series that captivate me (I like FIFA but that's it), I'm posting on a Pokemon forum because I'd like to know what you guys do around the theme of Pokemon, aside from the games.

Last edited:

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
    Years
  • Hmm I really wish I could still enjoy them, but I've used all the Pokemon that I have interest in using.

Maybe in 50 years time, my fantasy will be real. I'll be able to plug myself in to a virtual reality machine and live in the Pokemon world.

I'm confused by this. 50 posts in like a year and I'll be missed? I won't be leaving the forum any time soon, I'm just saying that I'm looking for a new way to express my feelings for Pokemon, to engage in some new kind of Pokemon themed hobby.

Ahhh, I see. That's unfortunate. Must be rough I feel =/

Well.. I've visited a few forums before sometimes only having up to 20-30 posts before quitting, and lots of people seemed to care. I guess I thought I would Pass it On or something. Didn't mean to be offensive >_<.

If you're interested in other Pokemon-themed hobbies, you could check out the Pokemon Trivia section every now and then. It's a bunch of fun :3

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    This thread is very quickly becoming off-topic. Pieman, he's asking for suggestions to spice up the games, not your opinion on the newer games or whether or not he'll be missed if he decides to quit Pokemon. :P

Yellow, have you tried reading the manga? It's often a good way to get into the more 'adult' side of Pokemon, as the evil teams in the manga actually try to kill people, the characters are more mature, etc. In addition, you could check out hacks, where people try to make Pokemon more stimulating. But somehow I think that's not what you're looking for based on your comment about PS3s and such, right?

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
    Years
  • This thread is very quickly becoming off-topic. Pieman, he's asking for suggestions to spice up the games, not your opinion on the newer games or whether or not he'll be missed if he decides to quit Pokemon. :P

Yellow, have you tried reading the manga? It's often a good way to get into the more 'adult' side of Pokemon, as the evil teams in the manga actually try to kill people, the characters are more mature, etc. In addition, you could check out hacks, where people try to make Pokemon more stimulating. But somehow I think that's not what you're looking for based on your comment about PS3s and such, right?

While most of what you claimed was true, part of mine was as well. I never meant to give opinions on newer games without tying it in with his own experiences. It was more of an example I was trying to make to show that the series has been pretty easy for quite some time.

As for the whole "He'll be missed" thing, It was more of an assurance to let him know that he's not alone. I may not be in his shoes, but I share his ideals.

Just thought I'd clear a few things. Sorry for the intrusion lol :P

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    This thread is very quickly becoming off-topic. Pieman, he's asking for suggestions to spice up the games, not your opinion on the newer games or whether or not he'll be missed if he decides to quit Pokemon. :P

Nah, nothing's off topic in my threads.

The manga thing is a great idea, thanks. Would trigger some creative thoughts, I imagine.

I've tried the hacks, some of them are great, but again, it's the same old Pokemon and basically the same old storyline, and I never actually finish them because once my Pokemon get to level 40-ish, they've basically learnt all their moves, finished evolving, and that's my team constructed.

Have you tried getting into competitive battling? That's a whole different world full of pride and disappointment and enjoyment and whatnot.

I did enjoy Pokemon Stadium 2 on the N64. Is competitive battling like that?

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    You could try to make your own hack that matches what you would like to see in a game :) A lot harder than playing hacks and reading the manga for sure, but it's an option to look into.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • I have a pokemon suggestion, be a collector, I collect every thing pokemon related!! I visit the thrift store and pawn shops in my area and travel to other cities just looking for any thing pokemon, I buy any thing I see, movies, dolls, games (even if I don't want to play them), books, I just picked up two 3 ring binds last week at a goodwill that I go to every week out of town, I mean there are many ways to keep pokemon in your life!!

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Hmmmmmm. Tough question. Back in gen 1 and 2, the mechanics for training up pokemon in specific ways were a lot different than they are now. Competitive battling back then would be like Pokemon Stadium. Nowadays the mechanics are much simpler to understand, and it's not NPCs we're battling now, it's other players. Learning to battle competitively teaches you to build teams efficiently, cover your bases, and whoop butt if you become really good at it. Plus you'll be more likely to get those two battle subway trophies and win all the PWT battles. :)

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    You could try to make your own hack that matches what you would like to see in a game :) A lot harder than playing hacks and reading the manga for sure, but it's an option to look into.

Too hard. I'm a perfectionist so would be endlessly frustrated with myself if I attempted to make a hack.

I have a pokemon suggestion, be a collector, I collect every thing pokemon related!! I visit the thrift store and pawn shops in my area and travel to other cities just looking for any thing pokemon, I buy any thing I see, movies, dolls, games (even if I don't want to play them), books, I just picked up two 3 ring binds last week at a goodwill that I go to every week out of town, I mean there are many ways to keep pokemon in your life!!

That sounds fun, although it's an expensive hobby and I'd feel embarrassed about it. I also don't like to have too many material possessions, I find that it's just baggage that ties me down and I prefer to make no attachments or commitments and always feel like I'm on the move, on an adventure.

Hmmmmmm. Tough question. Back in gen 1 and 2, the mechanics for training up pokemon in specific ways were a lot different than they are now. Competitive battling back then would be like Pokemon Stadium. Nowadays the mechanics are much simpler to understand, and it's not NPCs we're battling now, it's other players. Learning to battle competitively teaches you to build teams efficiently, cover your bases, and whoop butt if you become really good at it. Plus you'll be more likely to get those two battle subway trophies and win all the PWT battles. :)

It's a nice idea. Just such a drag nowadays to train Pokemon.

I'm looking more for a different kind of gameplay to the turn-based system, I'd rather have more control over the timing of the Pokemon's moves, a bit like Assassin's creed, for example, where you can move your character around and then there are certain buttons for different moves, and you can time your moves just right. I think that kind of thing, with the variety that Pokemon brings, would be epic. Alternatively, I think speed should be more influential in the turn based system. It shouldn't just dictate who goes first, it should dictate how often you get a turn. You could find yourself with a Pikachu up against a Snorlax, and the Pikachu would be able to use several moves in the time it takes Snorlax to perform one move, and Pikachu would be better at avoiding attacks too.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • I have a huge collection in my closet, it has been the most fun, I don't travel just for pokemon things but if I find something I will buy it and don't even have more than $100 in my 25 gallon storage thingy!!

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Have you tried playing any of the pokemon spinoffs then? Two straight off the top of my head is Pokemon Conquest and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. If you've played Final Fantasy Tactics or Fire Emblem and enjoyed it, Conquest may be a good bet. PMD is a dungeon crawler of a different sort, but the storyline for the game is excellent.

Sirfetch’d

I once thought I was growing out of Pokemon so I sold all of my Pokemon things and left the series for about 2 years. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVA! I know that it can seem childish at times, but deep down I knew that I loved the series and couldn't let those little thoughts take away what was the biggest part of my childhood. Take a break, realize how much you appreciate it.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • Regardless of whether there are other game series that captivate me (I like FIFA but that's it), I'm posting on a Pokemon forum because I'd like to know what you guys do around the theme of Pokemon, aside from the games.
    Cards, Plushies, Figurines, Cards, Stickers, Talk about Pokemon on forums, Make videos about Pokemon, Make podcasts about Pokemon, Recolour and splice Pokemon sprites, Make Pokemon horoscopes and quizes, Make Pokemon themed contests, Make sprite dexes, Make Pokemon fan-fictions, Make Pokemon comics, Make Pokemon log books, Make Pokemon arts and crafts, Draw Pokemon, Make humour Pokemon pictures, Make Pokemon sprite sheets, Making Pokemon hacks, Make Pokemon themed groups, Finding Pokemon glitches, Collect Pokemon art, Search Pokemon information, Memorizes the Pokemon in order, Find Pokemon themed desktop backgrounds, Search for fake Pokemon games, and Dealing with Pokemon fans who complain about the same pointless issues over and over again.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I'd definitely second the notion on reading some of the manga. Especially the Pokémon Adventures manga. There are places you can read it online, or you can get the books on Amazon if you like to have something to hold. Absolutely gripping storyline imo.

Other than that, personally, I just re-play older games on my emulator to try new things, I also collect cards, and once in a while I invest in some of the side games. While they're probably not much more mentally stimulating than the existing games (usually less so, actually, imo), I find it nice to try something different. I especially enjoyed Pokémon Conquest, I'd recommend that if you haven't already tried it.

Back