Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old November 24th, 2012 (3:10 PM).
Brendino's Avatar
Brendino Brendino is offline
Third time's the charm... right?
  • Moderator
  • Crystal Tier
  • Social Media
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Voeld
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 7,283
This never really occurred to me too much until this year, when my store managers said that we couldn't say Merry Christmas to customers (only Happy Holidays), despite having Christmas trees and decorations all over the store. I don't understand what the big deal is, as it's not like I'm trying to offend someone by saying Merry Christmas, I'm just being polite and saying a kind gesture. I'd have absolutely no problem if someone said Happy Hannukah or Happy Kwanzaa or something to me, as they were just being kind, even if I don't celebrate the same holiday.

Not that it matters to me if I have to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, I just don't quite see what the fuss is about, I guess.
__________________
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #27    
Old November 24th, 2012 (8:31 PM).
Spinor's Avatar
Spinor Spinor is offline
The Lonely Physicist
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Posts: 5,191
I was never really in the habit of saying "Merry Christmas", nor "Happy Holidays" after deciding against religion.

So, no, I don't say either. I'm a boring person. It doesn't bother me when people say either to me though. I just reply "you too". If I look white, I don't have any reason to expect that a white society would assume that I'm an atheist and politely say "Happy Holidays".
__________________
Insert some Pokemon or Detective Conan related image and witty caption here.

If you talk mean about my Conan+Ai OTP I'll make you see the barrel of my coilgun
Reply With Quote
  #28    
Old November 25th, 2012 (2:37 AM).
Frostweaver's Avatar
Frostweaver Frostweaver is offline
Ancient + Prehistoric
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Canada
    Age: 28
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Calm
    Posts: 8,246
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kura View Post
    My opinion? Someone is just wishing for you to have a great month or great time and new year.. so what should it matter what exact terminology they use?
    Pretty much that. I'm a Christian so I personally say Merry Christmas, but I'm not going to throw a hissy fit over my work that I must say "Happy Holidays" at work though. X-mas doesn't bother me either, seeing that really at the root of it, it has the same meaning and it's Christians who started that X to begin with.

    Sometimes it's a matter of culture of what the country is found on, and rather if you still practice that religion actively or not, doesn't really matter. I enjoy the holiday/don't mind the name of many chinese/asian festivals too, even if I don't follow the religious aspect of those holidays.
    Reply With Quote
      #29    
    Old November 25th, 2012 (7:15 AM).
    TRIFORCE89's Avatar
    TRIFORCE89 TRIFORCE89 is offline
    Guide of Darkness
    • Gold Tier
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Location: Temple of Light
    Age: 28
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Quiet
    Posts: 8,128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
    X-mas doesn't bother me either, seeing that really at the root of it, it has the same meaning and it's Christians who started that X to begin with.
    True.

    Written, it doesn't bother me so much. But when someone says "Exmas", it just sounds really lazy XD
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #30    
    Old November 25th, 2012 (8:11 AM).
    Tsutarja's Avatar
    Tsutarja Tsutarja is offline
    • Moderator
    • Platinum Tier
    • GTGet-Together Event Management
    • PokéCommunity Daily
     
    Join Date: Mar 2010
    Location: Florida
    Age: 22
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Jolly
    Posts: 21,661
    I have no preference as to how to refer to this time of year.. I do mostly say "Happy Holidays" though because its just a general reference to the holidays that occur around this time of year based on religion and because it isnt quite Christmas yet. However when it does get close I will begin to say "Merry Christmas". I also do say "Season's Greetings" on rare occasion but overall, I usually just say "Happy Holidays".

    As for "Xmas", that doesn't bother me because the meaning of it is widely-known and if you're trying to type out "Christmas" and need some room (say on Twitter for example with a 140-character limit) I'll likely use "Xmas".
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #31    
    Old November 25th, 2012 (8:15 AM).
    Katamari's Avatar
    Katamari Katamari is offline
       
      Join Date: Sep 2012
      Posts: 1,580
      I honestly don't care at all. I say 'Happy holidays' at work just because we have so many foreign customers it would be odd saying Merry Christmas to a woman in a hijab. But with my family it's always 'Merry Christmas,' which is odd for me since I'm not Christian yet I celebrate it, so meh.
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #32    
      Old November 25th, 2012 (9:48 AM).
      Shiny Celebi Shiny Celebi is offline
      • Gold Tier
       
      Join Date: Jun 2011
      Posts: 2,402
      Either one is fine in my opinion. If someone says "Merry christmas" to me, I'll say it back. They both mean the same thing, seriously, it dosen't matter which one you use.
      Reply With Quote
        #33    
      Old November 25th, 2012 (11:21 AM).
      Frostweaver's Avatar
      Frostweaver Frostweaver is offline
      Ancient + Prehistoric
         
        Join Date: Sep 2003
        Location: Canada
        Age: 28
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Calm
        Posts: 8,246
        On the other hand, how people are petitioning the removal of an ordinary "Christmas tree" in cityhall during the Christmas season is just... ugh. So much for cultural and religious diversity and acceptance -_-; Do we have to go to celebrate no holiday what so ever, and rename everything to "Seasonal/Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter breaks" only? We really do have to draw a line somewhere between being considerate and being bossed around by some very vocal minorities...
        Reply With Quote
          #34    
        Old November 25th, 2012 (11:32 AM).
        Esper's Avatar
        Esper Esper is offline
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Jun 2009
        Location: California
        Posts: 10,461
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Brendino View Post
        I don't understand what the big deal is, as it's not like I'm trying to offend someone by saying Merry Christmas, I'm just being polite and saying a kind gesture. I'd have absolutely no problem if someone said Happy Hannukah or Happy Kwanzaa or something to me, as they were just being kind, even if I don't celebrate the same holiday.
        But really, is it a matter of your intentions or how they are perceived? Because if you are a person who does say "Merry Christmas" / is a Christian you're in the majority (in the US, UK, Canada, etc.) so you have a certain privilege. It doesn't really affect you if someone wishes you Happy Hanukkah the way it would affect a Jewish person to be wished "Merry Christmas." (For a parallel example, a black person having to hear racial jokes from white people about black people is not at all the same thing if you reversed it.) Of course it's rather a small thing to begin with, nothing that would really hurt anyone like racial jokes, which is why it still seems strange that people are so resistant to saying anything but "Merry Christmas."

        I don't mean to single you out. Yours was just the first reply on this page.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #35    
        Old November 25th, 2012 (3:11 PM).
        TRIFORCE89's Avatar
        TRIFORCE89 TRIFORCE89 is offline
        Guide of Darkness
        • Gold Tier
         
        Join Date: May 2004
        Location: Temple of Light
        Age: 28
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Quiet
        Posts: 8,128
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Frostweaver View Post
        On the other hand, how people are petitioning the removal of an ordinary "Christmas tree" in cityhall during the Christmas season is just... ugh. So much for cultural and religious diversity and acceptance -_-; Do we have to go to celebrate no holiday what so ever, and rename everything to "Seasonal/Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter breaks" only? We really do have to draw a line somewhere between being considerate and being bossed around by some very vocal minorities...
        Yeah. I mean, I don't find the Christmas tree particularly religious. I think it is a fairly secular way to mark the season. Nativities or some way of marking advent shouldn't be at city hall, but I don't see the problem with the tree
        Reply With Quote
          #36    
        Old November 25th, 2012 (8:29 PM). Edited November 25th, 2012 by Synerjee.
        Synerjee's Avatar
        Synerjee Synerjee is offline
        Atra du evarinya ono varda.
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Oct 2012
        Location: Everywhere and anywhere.
        Nature: Quiet
        Posts: 2,915
        I always say 'Merry Christmas' and it's nice to hear other people say it to me as well. Christmas is somewhat of a universal celebration/holiday isn't it? :)

        My country has multiple religions. We celebrate other religious festivals such as Aidilfitri, Deepavali, Wesak Day, just to name a few, and we freely wish each other as such without any holding back. So there is no reason why 'Merry Christmas' should be changed to 'Happy Holidays' for my case. If so, the other festivals' greetings should follow suit (which is pointless and defeats the emotional attachment to the whole celebration).

        And as for Xmas, I never use it. I'm a Christian, so the Christ in Christmas is very important to me. I always tell myself: Why take the Christ out of Christmas when Christ is the reason this celebration exists? (PS. No offence meant, plus this is a rhetorical question so you need not answer it lol.)
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #37    
        Old November 25th, 2012 (9:41 PM). Edited November 25th, 2012 by Rodriguezjames55.
        Rodriguezjames55's Avatar
        Rodriguezjames55 Rodriguezjames55 is offline
        No Jokes #MegaCharizard
           
          Join Date: Jan 2012
          Location: United states, New York, New York City, Bronx
          Age: 20
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Adamant
          Posts: 391
          soccer moms are crazy god forbids we have something that we remotly exclude someone than again im catholic so im bias btw Merry Christmas in amonth - a day
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #38    
          Old November 26th, 2012 (1:13 AM).
          Brendino's Avatar
          Brendino Brendino is offline
          Third time's the charm... right?
          • Moderator
          • Crystal Tier
          • Social Media
           
          Join Date: Dec 2009
          Location: Voeld
          Nature: Quiet
          Posts: 7,283
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
          But really, is it a matter of your intentions or how they are perceived? Because if you are a person who does say "Merry Christmas" / is a Christian you're in the majority (in the US, UK, Canada, etc.) so you have a certain privilege. It doesn't really affect you if someone wishes you Happy Hanukkah the way it would affect a Jewish person to be wished "Merry Christmas." (For a parallel example, a black person having to hear racial jokes from white people about black people is not at all the same thing if you reversed it.) Of course it's rather a small thing to begin with, nothing that would really hurt anyone like racial jokes, which is why it still seems strange that people are so resistant to saying anything but "Merry Christmas."

          I don't mean to single you out. Yours was just the first reply on this page.
          Even though I now say Happy Holidays to customers and other people I don't know to be friendly, saying Merry Christmas before just came naturally, based on what people around me said when I was growing up. Even when I went to school, the student body was very multicultural, and everyone said Merry Christmas over any other phrase during the holiday season (including a couple of my friends throughout elementary and middle school who were Jewish and celebrated Hanukkah). And while it is better to say Happy Holidays as it can apply to everyone, I just think it strange where it's come to the point (like at my work, for example) that we've been forbidden from saying Merry Christmas, as if it was intended or being perceived as offensive.
          Reply With Quote
            #39    
          Old November 26th, 2012 (3:06 AM).
          Altomare's Avatar
          Altomare Altomare is offline
          Purupuru!
             
            Join Date: Sep 2012
            Location: Philippines
            Gender: Female
            Posts: 114
            Merry Christmas for me, mainly because I'm Christian (and I'm used to it already). But if someone greets me with a "happy holidays," its alright with me.
            __________________
            Reply With Quote
              #40    
            Old November 26th, 2012 (9:29 AM).
            Kikaito plush's Avatar
            Kikaito plush Kikaito plush is offline
            Angeline plushxKikaito plush
               
              Join Date: Dec 2009
              Location: plushies resort
              Age: 24
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Naughty
              Posts: 5,305
              I am a "happy holidays" person as half of my family celebrate other winter time holidays. If someone wishes me a "merry christmas" I am okay with that too.
              __________________
              Reply With Quote
                #41    
              Old November 26th, 2012 (11:29 AM).
              Sydian's Avatar
              Sydian Sydian is offline
              V A N I T Y
              • Crystal Tier
               
              Join Date: Feb 2008
              Location: Alabama
              Age: 24
              Nature: Timid
              Posts: 32,086
              Dear Lord. I'm on Facebook and just scrolled past a picture of a billboard that says, "'I miss hearing you say 'Merry Christmas.' -Jesus"

              Rolling my eyes right now. Thought I'd bring this billboard up in here, especially since most of the replies say, "I say Merry Christmas" lol...just ridiculous. Don't be sad, Jesus. Most people are saying it.
              __________________
              ≫ they took a little look at my heart
              they found a prince living behind bars ≪

              challenges | klippy
              Reply With Quote
                #42    
              Old November 26th, 2012 (1:37 PM).
              TRIFORCE89's Avatar
              TRIFORCE89 TRIFORCE89 is offline
              Guide of Darkness
              • Gold Tier
               
              Join Date: May 2004
              Location: Temple of Light
              Age: 28
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Quiet
              Posts: 8,128
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
              Dear Lord. I'm on Facebook and just scrolled past a picture of a billboard that says, "'I miss hearing you say 'Merry Christmas.' -Jesus"
              I'm going to assume that came from somewhere in the Bible belt, because where else would find overtly religious billboards? Let alone tasteless.

              That's just... very ugh.
              Reply With Quote
                #43    
              Old November 26th, 2012 (2:09 PM).
              Athelstan's Avatar
              Athelstan Athelstan is offline
              Odin
              • Gold Tier
               
              Join Date: Jul 2008
              Location: Valhalla
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Jolly
              Posts: 3,319
              Happy Holidays. I think "Merry Christmas" is a cheap way out sometimes, easy and simple. Plus, Christmas is just one day compared to "Happy Holidays" where it's more than one day. But, I don't get angry at people who say "Merry Christmas", they at least make the effort to say it and it makes me feel a lot warmer, if that's the right word.
              __________________

              Reply With Quote
                #44    
              Old November 26th, 2012 (2:21 PM).
              Sydian's Avatar
              Sydian Sydian is offline
              V A N I T Y
              • Crystal Tier
               
              Join Date: Feb 2008
              Location: Alabama
              Age: 24
              Nature: Timid
              Posts: 32,086
              Quote:
              I'm going to assume that came from somewhere in the Bible belt, because where else would find overtly religious billboards? Let alone tasteless.
              It didn't say where it was posted, but the environment seemed like here and I live in the Bible Belt, so obviously the majority of my Facebook people do too.

              I personally believe in Jesus, but shoot, that to me is more offensive than whether or not someone says MC or HH. If I was Jesus...I'd be pissed.
              Reply With Quote
                #45    
              Old November 26th, 2012 (2:41 PM).
              Sassy Milkshake's Avatar
              Sassy Milkshake Sassy Milkshake is offline
              It's ok to cry.
                 
                Join Date: Nov 2012
                Age: 25
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Sassy
                Posts: 373
                I frankly don't give it much thought. I usually am not the one to say it first so I'll simply reciprocate what I'm told, since that's probably what the person wants to hear, assuming they care.

                I understand why people get defensive, but I don't think it's necessarily something that should warrant as much controversy as it has.
                __________________

                Reply With Quote
                  #46    
                Old December 2nd, 2012 (6:26 PM).
                voltianqueen's Avatar
                voltianqueen voltianqueen is offline
                WITH SEAWATER
                   
                  Join Date: Dec 2008
                  Location: TN
                  Age: 23
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Relaxed
                  Posts: 180
                  I usually say Merry Christmas, though sometimes Happy Holidays as well. I always thought it was dumb when people got offended by either of them. I mean, you know what the person means, they aren't trying to exclude you or trying to destroy your religion, they only wished you well, so just go with it.

                  As for me, I celebrate Christmas, but I hardly give it a thought which phrase is said to me.
                  __________________
                  CHARMELEON! WAR-TOR-TLE
                  Reply With Quote
                    #47    
                  Old December 2nd, 2012 (6:49 PM).
                  Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
                  Pinkie-Dawn Pinkie-Dawn is offline
                  Vampire Waifu
                     
                    Join Date: Dec 2012
                    Location: California
                    Age: 24
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Quirky
                    Posts: 9,244
                    I'll say both "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays," because 1) Christmas is the dominant holiday in my place, and 2) Christmas isn't the only holiday in December, as we have Hanukhah and Kuanza, which are also important religious holidays. The only people I ever see are offended and aren't from these groups are the Scrooge-type individuals who want to give others a hard time.
                    __________________
                    Reply With Quote
                      #48    
                    Old December 2nd, 2012 (7:16 PM).
                    Unknown#'s Avatar
                    Unknown# Unknown# is offline
                    'Cause why not?
                    • Gold Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Dec 2010
                    Location: Tejas
                    Age: 19
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Relaxed
                    Posts: 457
                    Despite the fact that a large amount of people in my town aren't Christian (in fact, I myself am Jewish), I normally say Merry Christmas. In fact, Christmas in general is a holiday most people I know celebrate (myself included) even if they aren't Christian.
                    __________________
                    Reply With Quote
                      #49    
                    Old December 2nd, 2012 (11:49 PM).
                    Elite Overlord LeSabre™'s Avatar
                    Elite Overlord LeSabre™ Elite Overlord LeSabre™ is offline
                    On that 'Non stop road'
                    • Gold Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Nov 2007
                    Location: Shimoda City
                    Age: 91
                    Nature: Quirky
                    Posts: 9,571
                    I prefer to call it, "Putting My Bank Account Into the Black Day" personally since it's typically the most profitable day of the year for me financially. But then it occurred to me that name for the holiday is too long and cumbersome.

                    As for the two popular naming conventions for the holiday, I'm cool with either, though I have to say "Merry Christmas" around my family because they will throw a fit about it if I say "Happy Holidays" (and I'd imagine they'd go postal if I referred to it by my preferred name).
                    __________________

                    Elite Overlord LeSabre™
                    PC Vital Stats
                    * Pair
                    * PC Family
                    * Bishies
                    * VG Claims
                    * Friend Codes
                    Links
                    * Blog
                    * Web Site
                    * Fan Fictions:
                    * Leaf Green LP
                    Reply With Quote
                      #50    
                    Old December 3rd, 2012 (3:14 AM).
                    Phantom's Avatar
                    Phantom Phantom is offline
                    Uh, I didn't do it
                    • Crystal Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2011
                    Location: Minnesota
                    Age: 26
                    Gender: Female
                    Nature: Brave
                    Posts: 1,197
                    This is one of the weirdest times of the year to be an atheist.

                    Especially a former believer.

                    As it is I say neither. If someone says something to me I will be polite and say thanks instead of returning the greeting, except I swear flipping 99% of the time I'm on auto correct and say "you too" without a thought. (Has anyone done that? It was my birthday Friday, and twice people wished me a happy birthday... and I responded with 'you too'... only to realize right after they leave that that made no sense.)

                    Sure I'm willing to explain my atheism or lack of enthusiasm toward the holiday season, but only if it's brought up. If someone asks me what I'm doing for 'insert holiday' I just say I don't celebrate it. Usuallly then people back off a bit, if they inquire further I'll tell them.
                    __________________
                    Reply With Quote
                    Reply
                    Quick Reply

                    Sponsored Links
                    Thread Tools

                    Posting Rules
                    You may not post new threads
                    You may not post replies
                    You may not post attachments
                    You may not edit your posts

                    BB code is On
                    Smilies are On
                    [IMG] code is On
                    HTML code is Off

                    Forum Jump


                    All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:16 AM.