The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: Main Series Games Sixth Generation
X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Sixth Generation The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #51    
Old January 8th, 2013 (10:07 AM).
Spinosaurus's Avatar
Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Posts: 4,567
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TaichiWind View Post
    Although I admit the graphics are really top-notch (what less would you expect on a freaking 3DS)
    The same system that gave us these?
    Spoiler:





    Sorry, but I've owned a 3DS since launch and I expected much more from the graphics. The overworld in particular is something you'd see on the DS. The battles aren't much either, the effects look lazy and the models are plain looking and lack charisma. The backgrounds especially are ugly.

    3D has always been hit or miss, and we are way past the days when they're still something completely mindblowing. 2D always managed to look timeless...but Pokemon X/Y right now looks dated already. I get what they're trying to get with the artstyle, but it's not fit for 3D at all.
    __________________

    Twitter - Tumblr

    Relevant Advertising!

      #52    
    Old January 8th, 2013 (10:16 AM).
    Esper's Avatar
    Esper Esper is offline
    • Silver Tier
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: California
    Posts: 10,350
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
    The same system that gave us these?
    Spoiler:





    Sorry, but I've owned a 3DS since launch and I expected much more from the graphics. The overworld in particular is something you'd see on the DS. The battles aren't much either, the effects look lazy and the models are plain looking and lack charisma. The backgrounds especially are ugly.

    3D has always been hit or miss, and we are way past the days when they're still something completely mindblowing. 2D always managed to look timeless...but Pokemon X/Y right now looks dated already. I get what they're trying to get with the artstyle, but it's not fit for 3D at all.
    I have to agree. My first impressions were that the graphics didn't look like anything special. But perhaps we're just getting a look at unfinished graphics? Something they rushed for this announcement?
    __________________
      #53    
    Old January 8th, 2013 (10:20 AM).
    Logan's Avatar
    Logan Logan is offline
    • Discord Moderoid
    • Platinum Tier
     
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: Salisbury, England
    Age: 22
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Sassy
    Posts: 9,832
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
    I have to agree. My first impressions were that the graphics didn't look like anything special. But perhaps we're just getting a look at unfinished graphics? Something they rushed for this announcement?
    I doubt they're unfinished or rushed graphics. I expect at least a few departments were already working on Gen 6 before B2/W2 were even released.
    __________________
    Wait, I saw bare kicks, saw bare clothes
    Said psyduck that, I can't wear those
    I don't like them, they're not my ting
    They went silent, they're all weirdos
      #54    
    Old January 8th, 2013 (10:21 AM). Edited January 8th, 2013 by Spinosaurus.
    Spinosaurus's Avatar
    Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
       
      Join Date: Apr 2009
      Posts: 4,567
      That's what I'm hoping for. I'd have excused the graphics if they wanted this to run at 60fps, but the framerate is the worst offender of them all, actually. It looked like 20fps from the trailer, 15fps maybe. The battles would have gained way more if it ran on a good, steady framerate.

      I hope they fix at least one of them. I managed to play through MGS3 3DS because how great it looked on 3D mode, so I excused the framerate.
      __________________

      Twitter - Tumblr
        #55    
      Old January 8th, 2013 (10:26 AM).
      Blue's Avatar
      Blue Blue is offline
      • Moderator
      • Platinum Tier
       
      Join Date: Jan 2008
      Location: United Kingdom
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 19,058
      They have another 9 months before the release, there's enough time to improve them.
      __________________
        #56    
      Old January 8th, 2013 (10:32 AM). Edited January 8th, 2013 by Spinosaurus.
      Spinosaurus's Avatar
      Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
         
        Join Date: Apr 2009
        Posts: 4,567
        Graphics aside there's one thing I hope they fix: The encounters. I've said it in one thread, but they better get rid of random encounters. It's a dated and tired mechanics, one that has no purpose and is just annoying. They got 3D models, so it can't be hard to make them visible in the overworld. This way you get to choose if you want to fight them or not, without having to click the run button 10 times every 5 minutes.
        __________________

        Twitter - Tumblr
          #57    
        Old January 8th, 2013 (10:44 AM).
        Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
        Pinkie-Dawn Pinkie-Dawn is offline
        Space Waifu
           
          Join Date: Dec 2012
          Location: California
          Age: 24
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Quirky
          Posts: 9,135
          Random encounters is a common thing for JRPGs, and it also ruins the feeling of being patient to catch a rare Pokemon (not to mention game-breaker material).
          __________________
          And Mercy too.
            #58    
          Old January 8th, 2013 (10:53 AM).
          Spinosaurus's Avatar
          Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
             
            Join Date: Apr 2009
            Posts: 4,567
            You ever played any modern JRPG? I'm 99% sure Pokemon is the ONLY RPG that still uses random encounters.


            You don't need random encounter to get surprised of getting a rare Pokemon nor does do you need to it to reward patience. Hell just seeing it in the overworld alone is a surprise on its own, and if they don't want you to catch it easily it can run away instead of trying to attack you. I know in Persona 3 when you find a rare shadow it'll run away right when it sees you.
            __________________

            Twitter - Tumblr
              #59    
            Old January 8th, 2013 (10:55 AM).
            Blue's Avatar
            Blue Blue is offline
            • Moderator
            • Platinum Tier
             
            Join Date: Jan 2008
            Location: United Kingdom
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Relaxed
            Posts: 19,058
            It would be good to interact with Wild Pokemon rather than having encounters but from the images, it still looks like there are grass patches for it.
            __________________
              #60    
            Old January 8th, 2013 (10:58 AM).
            Miss Doronjo's Avatar
            Miss Doronjo Miss Doronjo is offline
            Gaiden
               
              Join Date: Oct 2010
              Location: Toronto, Ontario
              Age: 24
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Quirky
              Posts: 4,488
              They sort of did that already for the Pokemon Ranger games, in which it wasn't bad! I'd be on board with that for a change~ But I dunno, from the trailer, it doesn't look like it changed; except for the encounter intro.
              __________________

              Hawthorne Guardian
              Moderator of Video Games
              Paired to: Perdition Haze

              Pokémon:PhoenixRising
              Sylvie
                #61    
              Old January 8th, 2013 (10:58 AM).
              Spinosaurus's Avatar
              Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
                 
                Join Date: Apr 2009
                Posts: 4,567
                Ugh yeah I just noticed. This is one change that I feel is absolutely crucial, but they didn't go with it. Disappointing.
                __________________

                Twitter - Tumblr
                  #62    
                Old January 8th, 2013 (11:00 AM).
                donavannj's Avatar
                donavannj donavannj is offline
                • Moderator
                • Crystal Tier
                 
                Join Date: Mar 2005
                Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
                Age: 26
                Gender: Male
                Posts: 20,392
                The only reason I can see in favor of excusing the poor graphics is the sheer mass of data required in a Pokemon game, as well as it being a completely connected overworld with no loading times between areas. If there were loading times between areas, I would be appalled and it would be a massive change from past Pokemon games.

                That and GameFreak isn't exactly known for maximizing the graphics potential of a system, especially on their first release for a system.
                __________________

                A Pokemon that is amazing.
                Support Bulbasaur because Charmander and Squirtle both suck!
                  #63    
                Old January 8th, 2013 (11:02 AM).
                Captain Fabio's Avatar
                Captain Fabio Captain Fabio is offline
                • Crystal Tier
                 
                Join Date: Apr 2006
                Location: London, UK
                Age: 27
                Nature: Lax
                Posts: 12,259
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
                The only reason I can see in favor of excusing the poor graphics is the sheer mass of data required in a Pokemon game, as well as it being a completely connected overworld with no loading times between areas.

                That and GameFreak isn't exactly known for maximizing the graphics potential of a system, especially on their first release for a system.
                Yeh, I thought that it might be due to the high amount of other data cutting down on the graphical capabilities.

                We also have to keep in mind that they are only demos, as far as we are aware, so they could have cleaned it up by release.
                  #64    
                Old January 8th, 2013 (11:13 AM).
                Pinkie-Dawn's Avatar
                Pinkie-Dawn Pinkie-Dawn is offline
                Space Waifu
                   
                  Join Date: Dec 2012
                  Location: California
                  Age: 24
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Quirky
                  Posts: 9,135
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
                  They sort of did that already for the Pokemon Ranger games, in which it wasn't bad! I'd be on board with that for a change~ But I dunno, from the trailer, it doesn't look like it changed; except for the encounter intro.
                  But that was an entirely different game, in which catching them all wasn't the main goal. The purpose of random encounters in the main game is the fact that you have no idea which Pokemon will come out of the grass/cave/water for you to catch for your collection. That's why they have a rarity ratio in each location. Besides, with the existence of repels and the introduction of asking you if you want to use another one is what helps the annoyance.
                  __________________
                  And Mercy too.
                    #65    
                  Old January 8th, 2013 (11:16 AM).
                  Miss Doronjo's Avatar
                  Miss Doronjo Miss Doronjo is offline
                  Gaiden
                     
                    Join Date: Oct 2010
                    Location: Toronto, Ontario
                    Age: 24
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Quirky
                    Posts: 4,488
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
                    But that was an entirely different game, in which catching them all wasn't the main goal. The purpose of random encounters in the main game is the fact that you have no idea which Pokemon will come out of the grass/cave/water for you to catch for your collection. That's why they have a rarity ratio in each location. Besides, with the existence of repels and the introduction of asking you if you want to use another one is what helps the annoyance.
                    But it was an non-random-encounter sort of pokemon game, so it was hopeful that they might of done the same for this game. D= Still, there's still no reason that this sort of style can play onto the rarity of pokemon; I dunno, the could of set it so that there is still a 'chance' that you might encounter a rare pokemon, or even a shiny pokemon. Eh.
                    __________________

                    Hawthorne Guardian
                    Moderator of Video Games
                    Paired to: Perdition Haze

                    Pokémon:PhoenixRising
                    Sylvie
                      #66    
                    Old January 8th, 2013 (11:25 AM).
                    Kura's Avatar
                    Kura Kura is offline
                    twitter.com/kuraberryart
                       
                      Join Date: Sep 2004
                      Location: Horsham, UK (orig. Toronto, Canada)
                      Age: 27
                      Gender: Female
                      Nature: Serious
                      Posts: 11,014
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
                      The same system that gave us these?
                      Spoiler:





                      Sorry, but I've owned a 3DS since launch and I expected much more from the graphics. The overworld in particular is something you'd see on the DS. The battles aren't much either, the effects look lazy and the models are plain looking and lack charisma. The backgrounds especially are ugly.

                      3D has always been hit or miss, and we are way past the days when they're still something completely mindblowing. 2D always managed to look timeless...but Pokemon X/Y right now looks dated already. I get what they're trying to get with the artstyle, but it's not fit for 3D at all.
                      This! I feel like the 3Ds can really push it. I could understand though, not making the quality too high because that means TONS of work for the animators! I see how this could've affected them trying to find a middle ground between 3D and 2D. Think Crystal for gbc I guess!
                      __________________
                      ~Yuugiou Fan~
                      ~Kamen Rider Fan~
                      ♡(´・ω・`)LOVE! ☆
                        #67    
                      Old January 8th, 2013 (11:45 AM).
                      Sabrewulf238's Avatar
                      Sabrewulf238 Sabrewulf238 is offline
                         
                        Join Date: May 2008
                        Age: 26
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Jolly
                        Posts: 2,196
                        Personally I would love if they had somewhere between 120 and 150 new pokemon. (maybe around 130 like with Hoenn) Then on top of that 100 old pokemon....

                        However the twist is that those 100 old pokemon are completely different depending on the version you play. Which would make for a total of approximately 220-250 pokemon in each version and 320-350 between both versions. I think it would be exciting to have a big pokedex plus such a large amount of exclusives. Bigger and bolder than ever with the jump to the 3DS! :D

                        (I do hope they add more than they added to the second and fourth gens, it's surprising but I do feel the extra 20-30 or so pokemon add a lot to the experience.)
                        __________________
                        Looking for X & Y friends, friend code is: 2964-8571-0102
                        Send me a pm if you add me.
                          #68    
                        Old January 8th, 2013 (11:58 AM).
                        Barker's Avatar
                        Barker Barker is offline
                        I'm drifting in deep waters..
                        • Gold Tier
                         
                        Join Date: Feb 2007
                        Location: Utah
                        Age: 25
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Quiet
                        Posts: 389
                        Of course this is announced within a month of me selling my 3DS..

                        Very excited about the move to 3D.. not so crazy about how it looks though. Hopefully they'll improve things in that regard.

                        And not to be "that guy", but I suppose this is where hacking ends?
                        __________________
                          #69    
                        Old January 8th, 2013 (12:01 PM). Edited January 8th, 2013 by droomph.
                        droomph's Avatar
                        droomph droomph is offline
                        weeb
                        • Crystal Tier
                         
                        Join Date: Sep 2011
                        Location: nowhere spectacular
                        Age: 20
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Impish
                        Posts: 4,291
                        You guys are just jelly that you couldn't make a game like them <3 primarily because of copyright issues but whatever.

                        I think it's fine! I suppose that at the higher graphics, the smooth skin would look odd, and would be a sudden jump from the previous games. I think it's fine to move on, but just steadily. Revamping the series will make it lose that feel it originally had.

                        Though I will say there is something off about the painfully thin-looking OW sprites. I'm used to Chubby McChubchubs, I'll just get used to it I guess.

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Barker View Post
                        Of course this is announced within a month of me selling my 3DS..

                        Very excited about the move to 3D.. not so crazy about how it looks though. Hopefully they'll improve things in that regard.

                        And not to be "that guy", but I suppose this is where hacking ends?
                        For the poor people, at least.

                        If you want to hack anything above Gen 3, you'll have to 1) steal Nintendo's gizmos, and then 2) buy one or two things at a total of $5000.

                        So it hasn't ended, it's just an "elite" sport now.

                        And even if, it wouldn't end. We haven't exhausted the good Gen 3 hacks yet! We can work on that for years to come. We still haven't figured out most things (eg character animations) so there's no sense in rushing forward!
                        __________________
                        did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
                        o i forgot 5
                        uraqt


                          #70    
                        Old January 8th, 2013 (12:20 PM).
                        Kizerzin's Avatar
                        Kizerzin Kizerzin is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Mar 2008
                          Gender:
                          Posts: 55
                          Something random I noticed the titles seem to reference the transition to 3D and genetics at the same time with X (The X Chromosome or the X horizontal plane) and Y (Y chromosome and the Y Vertical Plane). The Legendaries further the reference to 3D with the Y Legendary being Airborne (Vertical) and the X Legendary being Landlocked (Horizontal). Now we just need a Z third version and the 3D references will be complete.
                            #71    
                          Old January 8th, 2013 (12:27 PM).
                          vaporeon7's Avatar
                          vaporeon7 vaporeon7 is offline
                          My life would suck without you
                          • Crystal Tier
                           
                          Join Date: Aug 2010
                          Location: Preparing for trouble and making it double.
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Adamant
                          Posts: 5,154
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Barker View Post
                          Of course this is announced within a month of me selling my 3DS..

                          Very excited about the move to 3D.. not so crazy about how it looks though. Hopefully they'll improve things in that regard.

                          And not to be "that guy", but I suppose this is where hacking ends?
                          As someone in another thread said, if people have managed to hack the Wii, I'm sure it's a matter of time before they hack the 3DS too.

                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Kizerzin View Post
                          Something random I noticed the titles seem to reference the transition to 3D and genetics at the same time with X (The X Chromosome or the X horizontal plane) and Y (Y chromosome and the Y Vertical Plane). The Legendaries further the reference to 3D with the Y Legendary being Airborne (Vertical) and the X Legendary being Landlocked (Horizontal). Now we just need a Z third version and the 3D references will be complete.
                          That's an interesting thought and actually makes a lot of sense.
                          __________________
                            #72    
                          Old January 8th, 2013 (12:33 PM).
                          Blue's Avatar
                          Blue Blue is offline
                          • Moderator
                          • Platinum Tier
                           
                          Join Date: Jan 2008
                          Location: United Kingdom
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Relaxed
                          Posts: 19,058
                          I think it will take some time to hack the 3DS, I've read that it's much more difficult to hack than the DS.
                          __________________
                            #73    
                          Old January 8th, 2013 (12:38 PM).
                          Kura's Avatar
                          Kura Kura is offline
                          twitter.com/kuraberryart
                             
                            Join Date: Sep 2004
                            Location: Horsham, UK (orig. Toronto, Canada)
                            Age: 27
                            Gender: Female
                            Nature: Serious
                            Posts: 11,014
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by droomph View Post
                            You guys are just jelly that you couldn't make a game like them <3 primarily because of copyright issues but whatever.

                            I think it's fine! I suppose that at the higher graphics, the smooth skin would look odd, and would be a sudden jump from the previous games. I think it's fine to move on, but just steadily. Revamping the series will make it lose that feel it originally had.

                            Though I will say there is something off about the painfully thin-looking OW sprites. I'm used to Chubby McChubchubs, I'll just get used to it I guess.



                            For the poor people, at least.

                            If you want to hack anything above Gen 3, you'll have to 1) steal Nintendo's gizmos, and then 2) buy one or two things at a total of $5000.

                            So it hasn't ended, it's just an "elite" sport now.

                            And even if, it wouldn't end. We haven't exhausted the good Gen 3 hacks yet! We can work on that for years to come. We still haven't figured out most things (eg character animations) so there's no sense in rushing forward!
                            Time now to develop pokemon for iOS and Android am I right? Hahaha!

                            I know nothing about hacking..


                            And I like the chubby sprites too! That's why the original pikachu sprite was the best! SO CHUBBY AND CUTE!
                            __________________
                            ~Yuugiou Fan~
                            ~Kamen Rider Fan~
                            ♡(´・ω・`)LOVE! ☆
                              #74    
                            Old January 8th, 2013 (12:39 PM).
                            Perico's Avatar
                            Perico Perico is offline
                            Ripper
                               
                              Join Date: Aug 2012
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Gentle
                              Posts: 221
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
                              The only reason I can see in favor of excusing the poor graphics is the sheer mass of data required in a Pokemon game, as well as it being a completely connected overworld with no loading times between areas. If there were loading times between areas, I would be appalled and it would be a massive change from past Pokemon games.
                              No way. 3DS cartridges have a maximum capacity of 4GB. Take a look at Resident Evil Revelations. It's a 4GB 3DS game, amazing and (allow me to say) flawless graphics. And the online works perfectly btw.

                              And of course the world won't be connected. In fact, it's never been. You just don't notice because when you're going on a different route you walk inside this:



                              And with this 3D game we might even have load times between routes (unlike current games).

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
                              That and GameFreak isn't exactly known for maximizing the graphics potential of a system, especially on their first release for a system.
                              I agree with that, but they should stop doing that.
                              __________________

                              Allez, hop!
                                #75    
                              Old January 8th, 2013 (12:43 PM).
                              Kura's Avatar
                              Kura Kura is offline
                              twitter.com/kuraberryart
                                 
                                Join Date: Sep 2004
                                Location: Horsham, UK (orig. Toronto, Canada)
                                Age: 27
                                Gender: Female
                                Nature: Serious
                                Posts: 11,014
                                Oh god loading times between each battle.. that's gonna be atrocious.. @___@ Hopefully it doesn't lag too hard..
                                __________________
                                ~Yuugiou Fan~
                                ~Kamen Rider Fan~
                                ♡(´・ω・`)LOVE! ☆
                                Closed Thread
                                Quick Reply

                                Sponsored Links
                                Thread Tools

                                Posting Rules
                                You may not post new threads
                                You may not post replies
                                You may not post attachments
                                You may not edit your posts

                                BB code is On
                                Smilies are On
                                [IMG] code is On
                                HTML code is Off

                                Forum Jump


                                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:49 PM.