Pokémon General The home for theories, clubs, polls, and other discussions involving the Pokémon franchise that aren't covered in any of the other boards.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old February 10th, 2013 (5:36 PM).
Superfox Superfox is offline
     
    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Posts: 281
    So, if the fire starters are based on the Chinese Zodiac and the grass starters have a theme of evolution going for them (or so I've read), then what is the water starters' theme? Is there any?
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old February 11th, 2013 (10:50 PM).
    CloysterOyster's Avatar
    CloysterOyster CloysterOyster is offline
    Master of Ice
       
      Join Date: Feb 2013
      Location: United States
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Lax
      Posts: 848
      Most of them seem to be reptilian or amphibious in nature, with the exception of Piplup which is based on a penguin I believe. Not sure what pattern the starter Water-types follow other than that.
      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old February 12th, 2013 (1:04 AM).
      Firox's Avatar
      Firox Firox is offline
      can I have Pokepuff? I'll be nice!
      • Gold Tier
       
      Join Date: May 2012
      Location: Seattle, WA
      Age: 31
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Gentle
      Posts: 2,341
      At least for me, water type starter just seem random aquatic creatures.




      Quote:
      Originally Posted by CloysterOyster View Post
      Most of them seem to be reptilian or amphibious in nature, with the exception of Piplup which is based on a penguin I believe. Not sure what pattern the starter Water-types follow other than that.
      Oshawott is based on an aquatic mammal, an otter.
      (thats the main reason its my favorite starter)
      __________________
      I ♥ Fire Foxes and Cats!! - art drawn by Bonez1925 (claims no credit)
      instead of 'Catch 'em All' for me would be "gotta Pet 'Em All"
      Reply With Quote
        #4    
      Old February 12th, 2013 (4:13 AM).
      CloysterOyster's Avatar
      CloysterOyster CloysterOyster is offline
      Master of Ice
         
        Join Date: Feb 2013
        Location: United States
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Lax
        Posts: 848
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by PersianTrainer View Post






        Oshawott is based on an aquatic mammal, an otter.
        (thats the main reason its my favorite starter)
        Oops, forgot about Oshawott :/
        Reply With Quote
          #5    
        Old February 14th, 2013 (7:51 AM).
        lifeburst's Avatar
        lifeburst lifeburst is offline
        ROAR OF TIME
           
          Join Date: Feb 2013
          Location: Nowhere
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Timid
          Posts: 15
          Squirtle is based on a turtle. Totodile is based on a mini shark. Mudkip is based upon something. Piplup is a penguin, Oshawott is based on a otter, and Froakie is based upon a frog. All of them are pretty much based upon aquatic animals. Dunno 'bout Mudkipz.
          Reply With Quote
            #6    
          Old February 14th, 2013 (12:03 PM).
          Esper's Avatar
          Esper Esper is offline
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Jun 2009
          Location: California
          Posts: 10,407
          Mudkip is based on a mudskipper, at least in part. And I'm pretty sure Totodile is just a small crocodile.

          But the pattern seems to be animals that can live and move on both land and water. Turtles, crocodiles, mudskippers, penguins, otters, frogs. I don't think there's any pattern beyond that. They just wanted to give you an animal that made sense for a Water-type, but that wouldn't be out of place on land (like a fish would).
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #7    
          Old February 15th, 2013 (5:36 PM).
          coolcatkim22's Avatar
          coolcatkim22 coolcatkim22 is offline
          Team Rocket's Rockin'
             
            Join Date: Sep 2008
            Location: Earth
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Brave
            Posts: 892
            Fox isn't part of the Chinese zodiac and neither is a porcupine so that sort of debunks that theory.
            I also don't get the grass type theory. What do you mean by evolution?
            __________________
            "Now that I have said it, it must be canon." -Little Kuriboh
            "Though love may lose, kindness wins." - Science Fiction Novelist
            "Destory all expectations." - Mortal Kombat DVD box
            "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - The Dungeon Master/Ragewar
            Reply With Quote
              #8    
            Old February 15th, 2013 (6:45 PM).
            Hikamaru's Avatar
            Hikamaru Hikamaru is online now
            Sacred Hearts Club
            • Platinum Tier
             
            Join Date: Mar 2011
            Location: Australia
            Age: 24
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Quirky
            Posts: 46,344
            The Water-type starters are based on aquatic creatures that can walk on land, like a tortoise/turtle (Squirtle), crocodile (Totodile), mudskipper (Mudkip), penguin (Piplup), sea otter (Oshawott) and frog (Froakie).

            It's pretty simple once you know it.
            __________________
            pair | tumblr | twitter | poketrivia | us/um | ama | supporter
            Reply With Quote
              #9    
            Old February 18th, 2013 (10:02 PM).
            Xander Olivieri's Avatar
            Xander Olivieri Xander Olivieri is offline
               
              Join Date: Jun 2010
              Gender: Other
              Nature: Hasty
              Posts: 5,601
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
              Fox isn't part of the Chinese zodiac and neither is a porcupine so that sort of debunks that theory.
              I also don't get the grass type theory. What do you mean by evolution?
              Cyndaquil isn't a Porcupine. Its based off of an Enchidna or Shrew. Its also Classified as the Fire Mouse Pokemon, making it the Chinese Zodiac representation of the Mouse.

              While, yes Fennekin does break the chain as a Fox is not part of the Zodiac, though many support it representing the Dog as Vulpines are related to Canines. And with that theory...I dread it evolving into a Dog now.

              I don't know what they meant by Evolution, but Grass Types used to be all reptilian based. Bulbasaur and Chikorita based off some kinda Dinosaur, Treecko a gecko, Turtwig was a turtle, Snivy was a snake. Chespin who is a Mammal breaks this cycle.

              Water is the only thing with a close relationship as all Water Starters are Semi-Aquatic creatures.
              __________________
              Reply With Quote
                #10    
              Old February 18th, 2013 (10:24 PM).
              Hikamaru's Avatar
              Hikamaru Hikamaru is online now
              Sacred Hearts Club
              • Platinum Tier
               
              Join Date: Mar 2011
              Location: Australia
              Age: 24
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Quirky
              Posts: 46,344
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
              Cyndaquil isn't a Porcupine. Its based off of an Enchidna or Shrew. Its also Classified as the Fire Mouse Pokemon, making it the Chinese Zodiac representation of the Mouse.

              While, yes Fennekin does break the chain as a Fox is not part of the Zodiac, though many support it representing the Dog as Vulpines are related to Canines. And with that theory...I dread it evolving into a Dog now.

              I don't know what they meant by Evolution, but Grass Types used to be all reptilian based. Bulbasaur and Chikorita based off some kinda Dinosaur, Treecko a gecko, Turtwig was a turtle, Snivy was a snake. Chespin who is a Mammal breaks this cycle.

              Water is the only thing with a close relationship as all Water Starters are Semi-Aquatic creatures.
              Xander has a point, with this generation they sorta "broke" the Grass and Fire Starter trends, but the trend of what Water Starters are based on remains.

              Chespin is the first Grass Starter not based on a reptile, Fennekin is the first Fire Starter not based on a Chinese Zodiac animal (but also like what Xander said, foxes do have relation to dogs so it could represent the Dog) but the trend with Water Starters hasn't been broken.

              At first I didn't know what Mudkip was based on, but now I know it is part of the Water Starter trend for being based on semi-aquatic creatures.
              __________________
              pair | tumblr | twitter | poketrivia | us/um | ama | supporter
              Reply With Quote
                #11    
              Old February 18th, 2013 (11:18 PM).
              PlatinumDude's Avatar
              PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is offline
              Nyeh?
              • Gold Tier
               
              Join Date: Aug 2010
              Location: Canada
              Age: 23
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Hasty
              Posts: 12,832
              Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude
              As others said, the Water starters aren't based on a particular theme; they're based on aquatic creatures in general, as the others above me said:
              -Squirtle is based on a turtle
              -Totodile is based on a crocodilian
              -Mudkip is based on the mudpuppy/mudskipper and axolotl
              -Piplup is based on a penguin
              -Oshawott is based on a sea otter
              __________________

              Reply With Quote
                #12    
              Old February 22nd, 2013 (5:48 AM).
              27thColt's Avatar
              27thColt 27thColt is offline
              That.. dude.
                 
                Join Date: Dec 2012
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Brave
                Posts: 98
                Squitle - turtle
                Totodile -Aligator/Crocodile
                Mudkip - mudpuppy (search on Wikipedia!)
                Piplup - Penguin
                Oshawott -otter
                Froakie - frog
                Reply With Quote
                Reply
                Quick Reply

                Sponsored Links
                Thread Tools

                Posting Rules
                You may not post new threads
                You may not post replies
                You may not post attachments
                You may not edit your posts

                BB code is On
                Smilies are On
                [IMG] code is On
                HTML code is Off

                Forum Jump


                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:31 PM.