Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Clubs This forum is for those who wish to start a club within the community. This forum is for Pokémon clubs; Fan Clubs & Groups is for everything else.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old April 22nd, 2013 (3:03 PM).
The TF2 Pyro

Nature: Jolly
Have you ever obtained a *shiny* starter pokemon?

No, I have never obtained a shiny starter. I just never felt like resetting repeatedly. I would probably just ask my friend to breed me a shiny starter because he is a Pokemon breeder (I can get pretty much any Pokemon from him :3). Having a shiny Pichu would be awesome.

PS: I love how you put my name as "PichuRules4Eva" on the members list.

Relevant Advertising!

Old April 22nd, 2013 (6:59 PM).

i soft reset for shiny charmander for about 2 weeks until i got it. He's now level 100 Charizard and i will never delete him as long as i live.

Old April 22nd, 2013 (7:15 PM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quirky

Sadly I haven't. I have obtained a few shinies but none were starters. However I don't care much about shinies anyway so it doesn't bother me.
Old April 22nd, 2013 (10:02 PM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Serious
Username: Classic Sonic
Your Starter Pokemon: Espeon
Nickname: Esperante

I just love Espeon. While a lot of that comes from its looks and it being an Eeveelution, it's also good in battle. Having a good offensive typing, it can also be used well in competitive battling. Also, it's just adorable..the purple fur, the eyes, it's twin tipped tail...

Now, Have you ever obtained a *shiny* starter pokemon?
I have. On an emulator though, so that made me sad. It was a shiny Totodile, and its nickname was Chomp. What else was I got it as soon as I started the game , so I was EXTREMELY excited

VM | PM | Profile Theme | My Anime List
Khorosho
Old April 23rd, 2013 (12:03 AM).
Currently bzzy like Combee and Ribombee.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
Username: Wind Heart
Your Starter Pokemon: Glaceon. I chose Glaceon because I like the colors, which is blue, and it's strong too.
Nickname: Silky Wind

I haven't got one as of now, but I don't mind about it though.

PokéCommunity | My Anime List | My Pairs | Blog | Sun & Moon! + Travel Diary | #TeamTrivia
Temporarily Windvisible and inactive until next Monday.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (9:37 AM).

Nature: Bashful
Username: Pichu00
Your Starter Pokemon: Pichu
Nickname:Thundra
I spent forever trying to get a shiny chikorita, but I eventually settled on a girl.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (10:09 AM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Brave
Welcome to new members that just joined! It's amazing to see new faces here! :3

@ PichuRules Haha, i must have missed an extra letter lmao

On topic, I never *started* off with a shiny starter pokemon, but i do have a shiny Treecko (now a sceptile) gifted by a PC member. Never ever ever restarting my White game for that! I do wish to start off with a shiny Chikorita though, I want a shiny meganium so badly! But like Ollibby mentioned, it doesn't really matter if its shiny or not, its just a pokemon and i love every starter as is :)
Old April 23rd, 2013 (12:01 PM).
I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcde22 View Post
i soft reset for shiny charmander for about 2 weeks until i got it. He's now level 100 Charizard and i will never delete him as long as i live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichu02 View Post
I spent forever trying to get a shiny chikorita, but I eventually settled on a girl.
Oh man, the amount of patience >_< I could never bring myself to spend hours trying to get a shiny, when there's only a 1/8197 chance that it'll be one, neither with starters nor legendaries. If it meant I'd get it in 1 out of 8197 resets, then maybe, just maybe, I'd set it as a goal and just hope, but nope! It's not that simple :( My longest reset streak so far is probably like 10 :D Also, welcome to the club, Pichu02!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Sonic View Post
Username: Classic Sonic
Now, Have you ever obtained a *shiny* starter pokemon?
I have. On an emulator though, so that made me sad. It was a shiny Totodile, and its nickname was Chomp. What else was I got it as soon as I started the game , so I was EXTREMELY excited ^_^
Welcome to the club! That sucks :( I've actually heard a story like this before. I believe I read somewhere in the Emulation section once, where a member asked if it was normal for the starters in the hack to be shiny, which turned out it wasn't :p But yah, I guess the luck that it was an instant shiny kinda evens out how it was on an emulator.. or maybe that just makes it worse? xD
Old April 24th, 2013 (1:10 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post

Sadly I haven't. I have obtained a few shinies but none were starters. However I don't care much about shinies anyway so it doesn't bother me.
you might think now that you aren't worried about shinies but trust me, when you get a shiny of you favourite starter you will treasure it forever i know i do

Old April 24th, 2013 (5:19 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Hasty
Username: ♪Twiggy♪
Your Starter Pokemon: ...

I've noticed that Axew and co are missing in the fifth gen starter list. Spin-offs are included, and yet...

As for shiny starter Pokémon, well... I think I must have never had one. I don't have any, you see, at least direct from my own games. Not that I'd like any one of them in shiny colours!

Old April 24th, 2013 (5:23 AM). Edited April 24th, 2013 by Treetwig.
Banned for being awesome

Username: Treetwig
Your Starter Pokemon:Munchlax
Nickname:Machytaby

Have you ever obtained *shiny* starter pokemon?
Yeah!Ive got a shiny torchic without doing soft resets at first i think its just a glitch because im a newbie when i saw the shiny torchic then I ask my friend if my game glitched then he said that my starter is shiny
Old April 24th, 2013 (9:10 AM).
Crystal Tier

Gonna go ahead and drop this new topic here! I absolutely love everyone's answers! Hypothetically, would you like to start your Pokemon journey with an unevolved flying-type starter pokemon? Do you think this'll make your journey a lot easier or harder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪ View Post
Username: ♪Twiggy♪
Your Starter Pokemon: ...

I've noticed that Axew and co are missing in the fifth gen starter list. Spin-offs are included, and yet...

As for shiny starter Pokémon, well... I think I must have never had one. I don't have any, you see, at least direct from my own games. Not that I'd like any one of them in shiny colours!
Thanks for letting me know. I'll allow you to choose Axew as your starter Pokemon. Welcome, btw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetwig View Post
Username: Treetwig
Your Starter Pokemon:Munchlax
Nickname:Machytaby

Yeah!Ive got a shiny torchic without doing soft resets at first i think its just a glitch because im a newbie when i saw the shiny torchic then I ask my friend if my game glitched then he said that my starter is shiny
That's how I reacted at first when I first discovered shiny starters. I was like "are you sure that's the right color...?" xD

Welcome to the club!
Old April 24th, 2013 (12:33 PM).
Silver Tier

Lots of new members :O

Hypothetically, would you like to start your Pokemon journey with an unevolved flying-type starter pokemon? Do you think this'll make your journey a lot easier or harder?

I wouldn't really care how much it'd impact the game as a starter Pokemon, just as long as Pidgey'd be available :D But seriously, having first stage evolution Flying types as the starters would be amazing, although they obviously wouldn't make the best of starters. There's a clear line in how powerful the various Flying types are, so I think it might end up being very unbalanced if the starters were switched with Flying types. But that wasn't the question!

I definitely would choose a Flying type as my starter, not as much because they're very strong and helpful Pokemon, because frankly, they aren't. Their main use is Fly and beating up Fighting type Pokemon, and while some of them, like Staraptor, are pretty decent Pokemon, they usually don't serve as much of an asset to your team in a battling perspective, so I think they'd make the first part of the journey significantly harder, depending on which Pokemon inhabited the first areas of the game. So not really the ideal starters. Now, the only reason I'd choose one as a starter is simply this; it's my favourite typing, one specific Flying type shining above all else (Flying types and all other Pokemon included :p), which I don't think I need to mention. I'd live with the increased difficulty, as long as I got to have PIdgey as the Pokemon I start off my journey with ;)

Old April 25th, 2013 (11:53 AM).
Crystal Tier

Haha, I know right! It's amazing and I am grateful for that :3

Anyways, like Ollibby, I've been looking forward to a flying unevolved starter all my life. A Pokemon where I can start my journey with by simply flying instead of having to walk ALL THE WAY to the first town ahead. With a starter like that, I'd totally be stoked, and it'll make my journey a whole lot easier!

If Pidgey would be a starter, I'd catch it and use it as if I was given it as a starter. :P
Old April 25th, 2013 (12:29 PM).
Administrator

Nature: Timid
Hypothetically, would you like to start your Pokemon journey with an unevolved flying-type starter pokemon? Do you think this'll make your journey a lot easier or harder?

I would absolutely love this! Honestly, I've always wanted to move away from the whole "fire water grass" circle of starters that we've been getting in the main series games since day one, and a flying type would probably be my first choice. Even though they're somewhat hard to use at first (especially the normal/flying birds available early into the games) they're still adorable and are growing to be one of my favorite types.

Not expecting it to be an easy ride since flying types are pretty hard to use towards the beginning, but that's something I'm willing to fight through. :D
Old April 25th, 2013 (11:34 PM).
The Blue Skies Will Appear...

Nature: Lonely
I have to disagree. Not only will it make the journey harder but, in my opinion, Flying-Types seems too long to level it up. But yeah, my opinion.
Name: FiersomeLucia
Starter Pokemon: Snivy!!!
Nickname: Lucy

I knew the fact of saving something is really hard. It’s almost impossible no matter where I look at but in destroying something, which I’m very good at. Am I really born to ruin everything?
Old April 26th, 2013 (12:08 AM).
I like Iris...

Nature: Adamant

It will make your Pokemon journey a lot HARDER.

Username: Shiny Magikarp
Starter: MUNCHLAX
Nickname: N/A

Old April 26th, 2013 (8:56 AM).
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Magikarp View Post

It will make your Pokemon journey a lot HARDER.

Username: Shiny Magikarp
Starter: MUNCHLAX
Nickname: N/A

Welcome to the club, Giant Magikarp! Would you mind explaining why it would be harder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiersomeLucia View Post
I have to disagree. Not only will it make the journey harder but, in my opinion, Flying-Types seems too long to level it up. But yeah, my opinion.
Name: FiersomeLucia
Starter Pokemon: Snivy!!!
Nickname: Lucy
And welcome to you as well! I think leveling up and grinding could be a reason why it makes a journey hard. And then there's the moves that don't come until later. Like gust and whirlwind. You'd have to deal with sand attack and tackle XD
Old April 26th, 2013 (10:06 AM).
異議あり!

Username: warship
Starter Pokemon : Turtwig
Nickname: Chris

"Hypothetically, would you like to start your Pokemon journey with an unevolved flying-type starter pokemon? Do you think this'll make your journey a lot easier or harder?"

it wouldnt be TOO bad i suppose. my friend is doing a flying monotype challenge and it is not too hard. though it would make the cycle a bit more unbalanced.
Growlithe - Charmeleon - Braixen
Old April 26th, 2013 (11:04 AM).
Silver Tier

While Flying types may not be the optimal starter type, if were to choose one specific type to choose starters from, I think it'd prove to be a much bigger challenge if the starters were restricted to Bug types, since they can hardly do anything in their first stage, and they aren't that strong in their last stage either. They may prove to be a little stronger than the rest of them once they reach their final stage due to how quickly they evolve, but it'd be super hard to train them up at first anyways without catching another Pokemon beforehand to switch to, depending on the levels of the Pokemon in the area of course. And while it'd be a bit of an extra challenge in the start of the game, I think it'd prove frustrating for people doing nuzlockes >_<

So yeah, I'd definitely pick Flying types over Bug types. And, y'know...

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSS

Old April 26th, 2013 (6:06 PM).
Crystal Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by warship View Post
Username: warship
Starter Pokemon : Turtwig
Nickname: Chris

"Hypothetically, would you like to start your Pokemon journey with an unevolved flying-type starter pokemon? Do you think this'll make your journey a lot easier or harder?"

it wouldnt be TOO bad i suppose. my friend is doing a flying monotype challenge and it is not too hard. though it would make the cycle a bit more unbalanced.
A big welcome to you! And that's also an interesting reason too regarding monotype challenges. You just have to get used to it just a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli97 View Post
While Flying types may not be the optimal starter type, if were to choose one specific type to choose starters from, I think it'd prove to be a much bigger challenge if the starters were restricted to Bug types, since they can hardly do anything in their first stage, and they aren't that strong in their last stage either. They may prove to be a little stronger than the rest of them once they reach their final stage due to how quickly they evolve, but it'd be super hard to train them up at first anyways without catching another Pokemon beforehand to switch to, depending on the levels of the Pokemon in the area of course. And while it'd be a bit of an extra challenge in the start of the game, I think it'd prove frustrating for people doing nuzlockes >_<

So yeah, I'd definitely pick Flying types over Bug types. And, y'know...

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSS
Another advantage for starting off with a flying type starter, is that you donot have to look for another Pokemon to teach Fly, because you already have one. xD

biiiiiiiiiirds.
Old April 27th, 2013 (1:47 AM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Serious

Well, they evolve quickly, usually on par with the regular starters on evolution rates, but they tend to be weak in the beginning, and lacking in moveset and power, like Pidgey, its moveset just doesn't work for its stats..on the other hand, you have a Pokemon to teach Fly to as soon as you get it, instead of having to look around. I'm not sure whether it'll be harder or easier, really.

VM | PM | Profile Theme | My Anime List
Khorosho
Old April 28th, 2013 (10:41 AM).

Nature: Timid
Well I'm not a huge fan of flying types....
And having a flying type starter I don't know I mean it wouldn't hugely bug me, but you can usually catch a flying type early on in the game anyway

Music Is The Escape
Old April 29th, 2013 (3:33 AM).
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Avishka
nah never had one..

it sure would be interesting to use flying types. it's not gonna be easy at the beginning but it will be fun to use a flying type. im kinda bored of the grass-fire-water type starters... and we do not have to look for fly... xD XD
Old April 29th, 2013 (7:47 AM).
Crystal Tier

Okay guys! Gonna add the new members on the list, aaand let's go on ahead and start a new topic! :3 Wasn't expecting such fantastic answers from all of you :D

Look at the starter Pokemon you chose as your partner and think of the moves they possibly use. Which move would be a *star* move for them? Which one would they be using far often? (Like Ash's Pikachu uses Thunderbolt almost all the time, for example)

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links