Science & Technology From the computer lab to the chemistry lab, or even the observatory, here's where we nerd out over all things science and technology!

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1651    
Old February 12th, 2014 (4:57 AM).
Tsutarja's Avatar
Tsutarja Tsutarja is online now
  • Moderator
  • Platinum Tier
  • GTGet-Together Event Management
  • PokéCommunity Daily
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Posts: 22,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Liking GDR3 + Black? You'll love this leak, then.

(What the heck is iCloud integration doing there?!)
That's interesting! I winner why Microsoft is allowing for iCloud integration. It'd beinteresting to see Apple open up like that though.
__________________
👻 Happy Halloween 🎃

Relevant Advertising!

  #1652    
Old February 12th, 2014 (8:28 AM).
Incineroar's Avatar
Incineroar Incineroar is online now
the spirit of the fighter
  • Moderator
  • Platinum Tier
  • Developer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Iki Town
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Posts: 13,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
That's interesting! I winner why Microsoft is allowing for iCloud integration. It'd beinteresting to see Apple open up like that though.
I can imagine what would happen if suddenly there's an iTunes app for Windows phones.
__________________
  #1653    
Old February 12th, 2014 (9:18 AM).
Aeroblast's Avatar
Aeroblast Aeroblast is offline
  • Platinum Tier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Basement
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 4,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by 루기아 View Post
Anybody here familiar with BNF?
Quoting myself to be an attention w... you know what I mean.
  #1654    
Old February 12th, 2014 (9:51 AM).
Twiggy's Avatar
Twiggy Twiggy is offline
You like dragons?
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plushies.
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Posts: 5,930
This has to be the oddest piece of news I've heard coming yet. Android apps on Windows without doing much else?
  #1655    
Old February 12th, 2014 (10:55 AM).
Cordelia Cordelia is offline
Banned
     
    Join Date: Aug 2011
    Nature: Sassy
    Posts: 9,753
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    This has to be the oddest piece of news I've heard coming yet. Android apps on Windows without doing much else?
    They're trying to increase the available apps and hopefully get people to convert... I'm not sure how successful they'll be. :/
      #1656    
    Old February 12th, 2014 (11:04 AM).
    Tsutarja's Avatar
    Tsutarja Tsutarja is online now
    • Moderator
    • Platinum Tier
    • GTGet-Together Event Management
    • PokéCommunity Daily
     
    Join Date: Mar 2010
    Location: Florida
    Age: 22
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Jolly
    Posts: 22,697
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    This has to be the oddest piece of news I've heard coming yet. Android apps on Windows without doing much else?
    Hmm, that seems a little intriguing.. hopefully though Microsoft doesn't decide to build off of Android because they've done just as fine with Windows Phone OS, IMO.
    __________________
    👻 Happy Halloween 🎃
      #1657    
    Old February 12th, 2014 (11:06 AM).
    Cordelia Cordelia is offline
    Banned
       
      Join Date: Aug 2011
      Nature: Sassy
      Posts: 9,753
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Zach View Post
      Hmm, that seems a little intriguing.. hopefully though Microsoft doesn't decide to build off of Android because they've done just as fine with Windows Phone OS, IMO.
      Yes but the app store is severely lacking and that's what's killing them with market penetration.
        #1658    
      Old February 12th, 2014 (11:17 AM).
      Aeroblast's Avatar
      Aeroblast Aeroblast is offline
      • Platinum Tier
       
      Join Date: Jul 2013
      Location: Basement
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 4,211
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by 루기아 View Post
      Quoting myself to be an attention w... you know what I mean.
      ...I'm still here. Anybody?



      *leaves quietly*
        #1659    
      Old February 12th, 2014 (11:25 AM).
      donavannj's Avatar
      donavannj donavannj is offline
      • Moderator
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Mar 2005
      Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
      Age: 27
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 21,116
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by 루기아 View Post
      ...I'm still here. Anybody?



      *leaves quietly*
      Not having actually gone for a full Comp. Sci. degree myself, I have no idea what you are referring to.
      __________________
      idol trash and game nerd
        #1660    
      Old February 12th, 2014 (11:36 AM).
      Aeroblast's Avatar
      Aeroblast Aeroblast is offline
      • Platinum Tier
       
      Join Date: Jul 2013
      Location: Basement
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 4,211
      BNF (Backnus-Naur Form): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backus%E2%80%93Naur_Form

      It's used to describe syntax of programming languages. I mean, if now nobody knows what I'm talking about, then the question I'll ask will probably be gibberish to y'all anyways.
        #1661    
      Old February 12th, 2014 (11:42 AM).
      Twiggy's Avatar
      Twiggy Twiggy is offline
      You like dragons?
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Dec 2010
      Location: Plushies.
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Hasty
      Posts: 5,930
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by CC View Post
      Yes but the app store is severely lacking and that's what's killing them with market penetration.
      Kind of a chicken-and-egg problem they've got there, to be honest.
        #1662    
      Old February 12th, 2014 (12:30 PM).
      donavannj's Avatar
      donavannj donavannj is offline
      • Moderator
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Mar 2005
      Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
      Age: 27
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 21,116
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
      Kind of a chicken-and-egg problem they've got there, to be honest.
      It'll probably employ some sort of emulation in the vein of what WINE does for Macs and Linux distros. I think Microsoft will be fine.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by 루기아 View Post
      BNF (Backnus-Naur Form): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backus%E2%80%93Naur_Form

      It's used to describe syntax of programming languages. I mean, if now nobody knows what I'm talking about, then the question I'll ask will probably be gibberish to y'all anyways.
      Not fluent in it at all.
      __________________
      idol trash and game nerd
        #1663    
      Old February 12th, 2014 (2:51 PM).
      Tsutarja's Avatar
      Tsutarja Tsutarja is online now
      • Moderator
      • Platinum Tier
      • GTGet-Together Event Management
      • PokéCommunity Daily
       
      Join Date: Mar 2010
      Location: Florida
      Age: 22
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Jolly
      Posts: 22,697
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by 루기아 View Post
      ...I'm still here. Anybody?



      *leaves quietly*
      Sometimes if there's too technical of a topic, it might get overlooked. It happens every now and then, unfortunately.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
      Kind of a chicken-and-egg problem they've got there, to be honest.
      Does Microsoft have an SDK of sorts for developers or developer fees to upload apps? Honestly, I don't see why people aren't developing for Windows Phone OS.. it's just as powerful as iOS and Android, even though it may not be as popular as the former two.
      __________________
      👻 Happy Halloween 🎃
        #1664    
      Old February 12th, 2014 (3:20 PM).
      Aeroblast's Avatar
      Aeroblast Aeroblast is offline
      • Platinum Tier
       
      Join Date: Jul 2013
      Location: Basement
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 4,211
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Zach View Post
      Sometimes if there's too technical of a topic, it might get overlooked. It happens every now and then, unfortunately.
      Or I'm just too smart for everyone

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Zach View Post
      Does Microsoft have an SDK of sorts for developers or developer fees to upload apps? Honestly, I don't see why people aren't developing for Windows Phone OS.. it's just as powerful as iOS and Android, even though it may not be as popular as the former two.
      Honestly I think it's just that Apple and Android are too dominant in the handheld department at the moment for Windows to break through.
        #1665    
      Old February 12th, 2014 (9:08 PM).
      Twiggy's Avatar
      Twiggy Twiggy is offline
      You like dragons?
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Dec 2010
      Location: Plushies.
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Hasty
      Posts: 5,930
      You know, I'd probably hate having to choose between either of these. I prefer the balanced compromise with Windows Phone, to be honest.
        #1666    
      Old February 13th, 2014 (3:36 AM).
      Tsutarja's Avatar
      Tsutarja Tsutarja is online now
      • Moderator
      • Platinum Tier
      • GTGet-Together Event Management
      • PokéCommunity Daily
       
      Join Date: Mar 2010
      Location: Florida
      Age: 22
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Jolly
      Posts: 22,697
      I really wish more people developed for Windows Phone, like really. One (official) app I'd like to see on the Windows Phone app store is Dropbox.. all I've seen so far for Dropbox is just a bunch of knock-off apps that aren't official.
      __________________
      👻 Happy Halloween 🎃
        #1667    
      Old February 13th, 2014 (3:48 AM).
      Twiggy's Avatar
      Twiggy Twiggy is offline
      You like dragons?
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Dec 2010
      Location: Plushies.
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Hasty
      Posts: 5,930
      The fun part about mobile market share is that it's not that clear cut. Sometimes, the second place holder isn't iOS, but... Windows.
        #1668    
      Old February 13th, 2014 (5:51 AM).
      Cordelia Cordelia is offline
      Banned
         
        Join Date: Aug 2011
        Nature: Sassy
        Posts: 9,753
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
        The fun part about mobile market share is that it's not that clear cut. Sometimes, the second place holder isn't iOS, but... Windows.
        Please explain to me how that's not completely wrong.
          #1669    
        Old February 13th, 2014 (5:54 AM).
        Fernbutter's Avatar
        Fernbutter Fernbutter is offline
        Murder is the way.
           
          Join Date: Dec 2013
          Location: The depths of the internet
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Calm
          Posts: 822
          Well that is rather ironic, and actually kind of weird...

          Well you never know, sometimes Windows just kinda gets through, not sure how, but it just does.
          __________________

          There should be a signature here somewhere.
          I wonder where it's gone.
            #1670    
          Old February 13th, 2014 (6:00 AM).
          Tsutarja's Avatar
          Tsutarja Tsutarja is online now
          • Moderator
          • Platinum Tier
          • GTGet-Together Event Management
          • PokéCommunity Daily
           
          Join Date: Mar 2010
          Location: Florida
          Age: 22
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 22,697
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by CC View Post
          Please explain to me how that's not completely wrong.
          I'll just go ahead and second this notion.
          __________________
          👻 Happy Halloween 🎃
            #1671    
          Old February 13th, 2014 (6:44 AM).
          Twiggy's Avatar
          Twiggy Twiggy is offline
          You like dragons?
          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Dec 2010
          Location: Plushies.
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Hasty
          Posts: 5,930
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by CC View Post
          Please explain to me how that's not completely wrong.
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Zach View Post
          I'll just go ahead and second this notion.
          I believe I never mentioned that I think this is wrong

          Either way, what I'm saying is that when it comes to market share, one should take into account other regions.

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Fernbutter View Post
          Well that is rather ironic, and actually kind of weird...

          Well you never know, sometimes Windows just kinda gets through, not sure how, but it just does.
          I do also know some countries where BlackBerry still has a strong hold
            #1672    
          Old February 13th, 2014 (6:50 AM).
          Cordelia Cordelia is offline
          Banned
             
            Join Date: Aug 2011
            Nature: Sassy
            Posts: 9,753
            So basically, you're saying there are some smaller countries where they have a stronger footing... yes. But overall marketshare is what we're discussing. XD
              #1673    
            Old February 13th, 2014 (8:09 AM).
            Incineroar's Avatar
            Incineroar Incineroar is online now
            the spirit of the fighter
            • Moderator
            • Platinum Tier
            • Developer
             
            Join Date: May 2009
            Location: Iki Town
            Age: 22
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Brave
            Posts: 13,555
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
            I do also know some countries where BlackBerry still has a strong hold ;)
            I remember when BlackBerries were a thing! I find that when they first came out, almost everyone had one, but they're dying off now that there's more powerful phones and a much wider variety of phones that can do what BlackBerries do.
            __________________
              #1674    
            Old February 13th, 2014 (5:19 PM).
            SS01's Avatar
            SS01 SS01 is offline
            #PoC Collab
               
              Join Date: Dec 2011
              Age: 26
              Gender: Other
              Nature: Timid
              Posts: 344
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
              I believe I never mentioned that I think this is wrong ;)

              Either way, what I'm saying is that when it comes to market share, one should take into account other regions.



              I do also know some countries where BlackBerry still has a strong hold ;)
              I live in one of these countries. Can confirm that everyone in Canada still uses BlackBerries :(
                #1675    
              Old February 13th, 2014 (5:44 PM).
              Tsutarja's Avatar
              Tsutarja Tsutarja is online now
              • Moderator
              • Platinum Tier
              • GTGet-Together Event Management
              • PokéCommunity Daily
               
              Join Date: Mar 2010
              Location: Florida
              Age: 22
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Jolly
              Posts: 22,697
              I remember when my parents walked into a Verizon Wireless store back in either 2005 or 2006 and I saw a Blackberry phone, and I was intrigued by it. Of course though I was out of my mind at the time (being 10 or 11 years old) thinking I could have one xD but it was definitely in the time before smartphones became the thing to own..
              __________________
              👻 Happy Halloween 🎃
              Closed Thread

              Quick Reply

              Join the conversation!

              Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

              Create a PokéCommunity Account

              Sponsored Links
              Thread Tools

              Posting Rules
              You may not post new threads
              You may not post replies
              You may not post attachments
              You may not edit your posts

              BB code is On
              Smilies are On
              [IMG] code is On
              HTML code is Off

              Forum Jump


              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:56 PM.