Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.

Old September 22nd, 2013 (11:44 AM). Edited September 22nd, 2013 by RichterSnipes.
*pew pew pew*

Nature: Modest
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
    Actually, I'm just making a new table and voicegroup.
    Yeah that's what I figured (for the later eventual release). I meant if the patch would still provide the option to just replace the GBA tracks when that does come around, which appears to be what it's doing right now. There's room in this world for both options!

Edit: Whoops, I wasn't looking at WHERE you were placing music data for the HG/SS songs. Sorry about the confusion, please ignore my misled proposal.

Relevant Advertising!

Old September 22nd, 2013 (6:39 PM). Edited September 22nd, 2013 by Gigabyyyte.
    Exploring the world of Kalos!

Nature: Relaxed
      Quote:
      In Sappy, where it says header, jot that offset down. Now go to the place you want to put it (in Sappy).
      Where it says table, jot that down.
      In a hex editor, go to thhat table offset and make a pointer to the header offset. That's it.
      BTW, the GB player is Jambo51's. And it WILL be included in the patch eventually.

Also, V1 of the Emerald patch has been released.
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by RichterSnipes View Post
      Great to see the patch available for Emerald now! That game deserves all the hacking advancements/gifts it can get. Plus that means that the primary span of Johto remakes can use it!

Well, the item in its current form is mine, or at least my own implementation of it. But yeah, the code behind its function is all Jambo51.

How do you plan on including it in the patch? Will this mean that a straight-up replacement of the current tracks will no longer be available when you do implement it?
      Slightly off-topic: Emerald deserves it. Nice. diegoisawesome's CrystalDust really needs this.

Anyway, let's get it on. I'm planning to HGSS-ify my FireRed ROM's music. As I've told gogojjtech, I was really hoping to get Kanto's HGSS music to replace the FRLG ones in the same slots, to avoid complicatedness (no such word I suppose). I was hoping that map music, fanfares, wild battle themes, and all that would get replaced accordingly. However, sir gogojjtech has made it so that Johto music would get imported first, which is good. I'm still waiting for that Kanto music though.

In regards with the GB Player: what I really want to do is have the HGSS music as the default in-game, then with the switch of the GB Player, have the RBY music play. I hope you're getting it. HGSS music would be playing by default, but with the GB Player on, RBY music take over.

That's pretty much it. I really hope you can help me with this. Thanks.

Old September 23rd, 2013 (11:17 AM).
      (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
      • Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Gigabyyyte View Post
      Slightly off-topic: Emerald deserves it. Nice. diegoisawesome's CrystalDust really needs this.

Anyway, let's get it on. I'm planning to HGSS-ify my FireRed ROM's music. As I've told gogojjtech, I was really hoping to get Kanto's HGSS music to replace the FRLG ones in the same slots, to avoid complicatedness (no such word I suppose). I was hoping that map music, fanfares, wild battle themes, and all that would get replaced accordingly. However, sir gogojjtech has made it so that Johto music would get imported first, which is good. I'm still waiting for that Kanto music though.

In regards with the GB Player: what I really want to do is have the HGSS music as the default in-game, then with the switch of the GB Player, have the RBY music play. I hope you're getting it. HGSS music would be playing by default, but with the GB Player on, RBY music take over.

That's pretty much it. I really hope you can help me with this. Thanks.
      Yes,... that was the point XD
      Anywho, since we got "crappy RBY remakes in HGSS" I'm using the gen 2 exports instead, which will help with the overall-ness of the point of this patch.

Support me at my site!
      Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
      Old September 23rd, 2013 (8:23 PM).
      *pew pew pew*

Quote:
        Anywho, since we got "crappy RBY remakes in HGSS" I'm using the gen 2 exports instead, which will help with the overall-ness of the point of this patch.
        Hold on, I'm a little confused here. I'm assuming you meant "crappy 8-bit GSC remakes in HGSS", right?

And when did the direct Gen 2 exports become available? I haven't seen them posted officially anywhere. That is, IF they have? I have a feeling I know what you're talking about if they haven't.
        Old September 23rd, 2013 (8:38 PM).
        the spirit of the fighter
        • Platinum Tier
        • Developer

Nature: Brave
        I presume you have custom voicegroups, but I have a question regarding those:

1. Do they follow HGSS' instruments (As in, how they're followed in the DS games), or the GBA instruments (A piano for a piano, strings for strings, etc)?
        2. Do you have a voicegroup with all of the instruments, or many of them with different instruments?
        Old September 23rd, 2013 (8:56 PM).
        Drag a needle on the good today

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
          I presume you have custom voicegroups, but I have a question regarding those:

1. Do they follow HGSS' instruments (As in, how they're followed in the DS games), or the GBA instruments (A piano for a piano, strings for strings, etc)?
          2. Do you have a voicegroup with all of the instruments, or many of them with different instruments?
          1. The voicegroups in the patches are set up exactly like the default HGSS voicegroup. The numbers are way different than the default GBA instrument numbers. For example, the string ensemble in the GBA Poké games is number 48, whereas it's number 23 in HGSS.

2. Instruments 0-59 are the same in every HGSS voicegroup but 60-69 vary by voicegroup. All town and route themes fit in the same voicegroup, but a few dungeon themes and all battle themes have different instruments from 60-69.

My Favorite Song
          Old September 24th, 2013 (12:00 AM). Edited September 24th, 2013 by Garuga17.

Is it just me, or mediafire was down? pls reupload to another, i'm itching to try it! ><

EDIT: whoops, nevermind. its up/

Double EDIT: Sorry, need help, in your manual, it says:

"To be done in a hex editor, follow the insrtuctions. For instructions with .BIT files, open them in a hex
            editor, then copy their data to the offset required, performing a paste WRITE, and not a paste INSERT"

but later in the bottom of the text, it says:

"Copy Data.BIT to this offset, performing a PASTE INSERT"

^same for the next 3 BIT files, you said paste insert

soooo... what should i do?
            Old September 24th, 2013 (8:06 AM).
            Drag a needle on the good today

Do a paste write for all of them. Paste insert will cause all sorts of nonsense.

My Favorite Song
              Old September 24th, 2013 (11:12 AM). Edited September 24th, 2013 by GoGoJJTech.
              • Gold Tier

Quote:
              Hold on, I'm a little confused here. I'm assuming you meant "crappy 8-bit GSC remakes in HGSS", right?

And when did the direct Gen 2 exports become available? I haven't seen them posted officially anywhere. That is, IF they have? I have a feeling I know what you're talking about if they haven't.
              They're not available, and the crappy 8-bits aren't really the GSC songs.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Garuga17 View Post
              Is it just me, or mediafire was down? pls reupload to another, i'm itching to try it! ><

EDIT: whoops, nevermind. its up/

Double EDIT: Sorry, need help, in your manual, it says:

"To be done in a hex editor, follow the insrtuctions. For instructions with .BIT files, open them in a hex
              editor, then copy their data to the offset required, performing a paste WRITE, and not a paste INSERT"

but later in the bottom of the text, it says:

"Copy Data.BIT to this offset, performing a PASTE INSERT"

^same for the next 3 BIT files, you said paste insert

soooo... what should i do?
              Whoops, I did say paste insert. I changed it to say paste write, so there's no issues for others. You don't need to re-download since you understand.

Support me at my site!
              Old September 25th, 2013 (6:45 AM).

Quote:

Whoops, I did say paste insert. I changed it to say paste write, so there's no issues for others. You don't need to re-download since you understand.

Thx, all i did is paste write all of them(except the last one, because it is at the end of the data), and it worked! Thanks a lot! The music is all good!

Too bad there's no kanto wild pokemon theme, well its still good anyway

And oh, i dont know if this is a bug or not, but some of my maps and their events are kinda messed up, i dont know if it is a sideeffect or a bug but... well just to let you know though
                Old September 25th, 2013 (11:21 AM).
                • Gold Tier

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Garuga17 View Post
                Thx, all i did is paste write all of them(except the last one, because it is at the end of the data), and it worked! Thanks a lot! The music is all good!

Too bad there's no kanto wild pokemon theme, well its still good anyway

And oh, i dont know if this is a bug or not, but some of my maps and their events are kinda messed up, i dont know if it is a sideeffect or a bug but... well just to let you know though
                The first map (PALLET TOWN) I added a few events. So your replace map of that may be messed up... Sorry bout that. I also put some scripts at 720000, so it's completely optional to paste the data there. Just change the events back and you should be good.

Support me at my site!
                Old September 26th, 2013 (4:44 AM).
                Exploring the world of Kalos!

Quote:
                  Oh, I see. Well, are all Kanto themes going to be imported in the future? If so, how long might that take?

Old September 26th, 2013 (2:21 PM).
                  • Gold Tier

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Gigabyyyte View Post
                  Oh, I see. Well, are all Kanto themes going to be imported in the future? If so, how long might that take?
                  All songs will be imported (also the BW patch, so don't ask when that comes out)
                  Maybe in a week? since all instruments are in, all I have left is import, then do the same but with GB music.

Support me at my site!
                  Old September 26th, 2013 (7:08 PM).
                  *pew pew pew*

Quote:
                    At this point I've just really confused myself as to what set of music you're referring to (8-bit, faux 8-bit, GBA, DS, Kanto vs. Johto, etc.), or if it even is music at this point (okay, that's an exaggeration). I'll just wait to see your next release to see if that clears things up for me. This is probably one of those cases where the reality is simple, yet I make it go over my head through interpreting it oddly.
                    Old September 27th, 2013 (11:24 AM).
                    • Gold Tier

Quote:
                    At this point I've just really confused myself as to what set of music you're referring to (8-bit, faux 8-bit, GBA, DS, Kanto vs. Johto, etc.), or if it even is music at this point (okay, that's an exaggeration). I'll just wait to see your next release to see if that clears things up for me. This is probably one of those cases where the reality is simple, yet I make it go over my head through interpreting it oddly.
                    You have the music that plays normally in HGSS, then the music from GB (gameboy). HGSS has a feature where you listen to the GB music. So I implement that.

Support me at my site!
                    Old September 27th, 2013 (12:28 PM).
                    *pew pew pew*

Yeah, I'll shut up now, I'm only doing more harm at this point with the confusion I'm spreading. I'll just say that I hope everything is going smoothly.
                      Old September 28th, 2013 (4:34 PM).

Nice work! So what is it you're doing exactly? are you editing the HGSS Midis? Or you're inserting them directly, modifying the voicegroups and voice limits?
                        Old September 28th, 2013 (4:36 PM).
                        • Gold Tier

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by AntiRellik1 View Post
                        Nice work! So what is it you're doing exactly? are you editing the HGSS Midis? Or you're inserting them directly, modifying the voicegroups and voice limits?
                        The second one. I'm just porting HGSS to GBA. Plus the GB music.

Support me at my site!
                        Old September 28th, 2013 (5:44 PM).

You work is superb. I got back into rom hacking very recently after 5 years or so... I was one of the first wave of music hackers. I know how to work with music... but how did you manage to make the tracks play a lot more voices than it should? how did you insert the new voicegroups? Years back, to add new voicegroups or edit them you had to work everything in pure hex, and at the time we never thought of actually having the tracks play more voices (I guess all that was inspired by the release of DPP afterwards).
                          Do you have any guides I could use?
                          Old September 28th, 2013 (5:51 PM).
                          • Gold Tier

Quote:
                          You work is superb. I got back into rom hacking very recently after 5 years or so... I was one of the first wave of music hackers. I know how to work with music... but how did you manage to make the tracks play a lot more voices than it should? how did you insert the new voicegroups? Years back, to add new voicegroups or edit them you had to work everything in pure hex, and at the time we never thought of actually having the tracks play more voices (I guess all that was inspired by the release of DPP afterwards).
                          Do you have any guides I could use?
                          I do have a mega-huge sappy tutorial (google search it) But I've been told it's hard to follow, but since you understand hex it should be good for you. It explains literally everything except adsr from nds to gba, yet that's getting worked on right now actually, hehe

Support me at my site!
                          Old September 28th, 2013 (5:53 PM).

Quote:
                            I do have a mega-huge sappy tutorial (google search it) But I've been told it's hard to follow, but since you understand hex it should be good for you. It explains literally everything except adsr from nds to gba, yet that's getting worked on right now actually, hehe
                            Thanks, I'll look into it
                            Old September 28th, 2013 (5:54 PM).
                            • Gold Tier

Quote:
                            Thanks, I'll look into it
                            It's nice to see others interested in this, as it's a pretty interesting topic, even though I hate music

Support me at my site!
                            Old September 28th, 2013 (6:15 PM).

Quote:
                              It's nice to see others interested in this, as it's a pretty interesting topic, even though I hate music
                              It's an awesome topic if you ask me I would've never thought you hated music, considering your work is great.
                              Old September 28th, 2013 (6:16 PM).
                              • Gold Tier

Quote:
                              It's an awesome topic if you ask me I would've never thought you hated music, considering your work is great.
                              It's just so addicting tbh, just I hate music XD
                              I'm a weird one aren't I?

Support me at my site!
                              Old September 29th, 2013 (4:00 AM).

Quote:
                                It's just so addicting tbh, just I hate music XD
                                I'm a weird one aren't I?
                                You're an exception xD. Anyways, are the original voicegroups still in the ROM after applying your patch?
                                Quick Reply

Sponsored Links