• 1822 replies

Avara

Female
Izantine
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Days Ago
1,097 posts
7.9 Years

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of you might remember a hilariously awful romhack from 2013-2014 named "Mirage Of Tales: A New Age Dawns". I am working hard to remake my creation and bring it to its full potential!

Beginning Story
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You play the role of an orphaned sixteen year old who gained a scholarship at the Pokémon Trainer Academy in the region of Avlar, a peaceful country with a rich history famed for its vast woodlands and high mountains. It's the day of your graduation; time for you to get a job and go out into the big wide world with your Pokémon by your side.

Open World
Wild Pokémon and trainers in all areas grow stronger as you do, so you can go anywhere you like right from the start. Restriction does exist in situations where you might have to unlock an item to progress to some areas (e.g. you'll need Surf to cross water), but there's no random roadblocking (e.g. pointless Viridian City coffee guy).

Choose Your Trainer Class
You can pick your own Career once you graduate from school. Each one will give you a different storyline and alternate quests. So, depending on the Career you take you'll experience the game completely differently! There are currently 7 Careers to choose from, but you may only take one. Choose wisely!

Spoiler:
The Freelance Career

The simplest way to play the game; it's exactly what it sounds like.
You'll have no Boss to do things for and no HQ to report back to - you're just a lone Trainer trying to make a name for themselves.
If you'd like to play the game the way you'd play a normal Pokémon game, with absolutely no loyalties to anyone but yourself, this is the path best suited to you!

The Researcher Career

Join Avlar's Research team and become a Pokémon Researcher!
You'll be doing various missions like field work or collecting data for your Pokédex, and you'll even be whisked away to exclusive unexplored areas.
Do you have what it takes to work your way up to become a Pokémon Professor?

The Criminal Career

A new Gang has arrived in Avlar and they're causing all kinds of problems in the region with their antics.
Stealing Pokémon? Mugging people? Making mischievious plans? All part of your job, and the Gang will become your family.
If you always preferred playing on the side of the bad guys, this is the Career for you!

The Seeker Career

Seekers are a prestigious (or pretentious, depending on who you ask) group of famous Trainers.
Their main objective is to own as many rare or even Legendary Pokémon as they can to further their reputation and uphold their self-proclaimed "Elite" status.
If you love hunting for rare Pokémon, this is the path you'll like the most.

The Journalist Career (new!)

Employees of the Avlarian TV Station have a reputation for being gossip-hungry and will do anything to get a good story.
As a Journalist, your job is to hunt down all the well-known Trainers of the land to get insider info, and you'll get invites to all kinds of events for "work".
Who's to say you won't become more famous than the Trainers you're chasing along the way, though?

The Police Career (new!)

With so much going on in the region, there's no rest for the poor Officers at the Avlar Police Department.
Fighting crime, managing the Prison (or sending people there!), and detective work are just some of the things you'll get up to.
Will you be one of those cops who "turns a blind eye" to crime? Or will you abuse your position of authority to the point of hilarity for your own amusement? It's up to you!

The Ranger Career (new!)

Many Trainers have high hopes of joining the well-respected Ranger Union of Avlar.
After your intitial Academy-style training, your duties will involve protecting endangered Pokémon, taking care of the environment and helping the needy.
This Career will be your first choice if you want the mission-based gameplay, but without the "organisation" feel.

Side Careers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ In addition to your chosen main Career, you can also take a Side-Career later in the game; these are "unlocked" through meeting certain conditions. As with main Careers, you can only choose one! I am taking suggestions for Side-Careers for the remake, as the SCs here are the same as the original.

The Gym Leader Side-Career

Have you ever dreamed of running your very own Pokémon Gym? Now you can!
Defeating each of the eight Avlarian Gyms will prove you have what it takes.
You'll start off running the first Gym and work your way up until you become the final Gym Leader of the region!

The Breeder Side-Career

Many Trainers take their Pokémon to the qualified members of staff at the Pokémon Breeding Organisation.
Some people breed Pokémon for egg moves, IVs and more - you'll be doing it professionally!
If you're one who has the patience to hatch every Egg you can get your hands on, you'll have fun as a Breeder.

*NEW Side-Career to be announced! Watch this space!*

Other Features
Here's an obligatory list of features that are currently implemented.
  • Choice based gameplay - every decision you make will affect the story in some way
  • Modern battle engine, to include the the Physical/Special/Status split and Fairy type
  • Custom sprites for trainers and OWs by me, for a fresh new look
  • Pokemon from Gens 1-6

Planned Features
I've attached these in a spoiler as they're not present in the current version (Pre-Alpha), but they will be included in later releases.
Spoiler:
  • Your Journal, a key item that serves as a quest log
  • No more HM slaves - the License system replaces the need for HM moves
  • A proper regional Pokedex for Avlar, including Pokemon from all generations
  • Mega Evolution for everyone who'll whine if it isn't in
  • Alignment based events - exclusive quests for all nine Alignments

Bugs
The Pre-Alpha was released on July 7th and removed on September 7th - in those two months I've had no bug reports, which is a good start! Hopefully the quality will be consistent with this in future releases.

Credits
If I have forgotten you, please let me know! I would never leave you out intentionally!
  • Myself, Zeo, chaoticcherrycake, ThatsSoWitty, magiscarf09, Alucus, hek - Tiles
  • DreamOrDestruction - Suggesting the title "Mirage Of Tales"
  • animeoverlord - Unwavering support for several years
  • ranger016 - Ranger career ideas, support
  • Nex, Lucra, DJTiki, Infernal Desires, dhogan, cacelyn, ButteryButters, PlayBeck, DoYouKnowHowToPokemon, Xanathos, Lady Prixy and so many more - <3
  • Me - Maps, scripting, OW/trainer sprites, story

Downloads

As of today (September 7th) I have removed the download link for the following reasons:

1) MoT has undergone yet another big overhaul (and probably will again once we have a full disassembly!). Without spoiling too much, even the ROM base has changed, and all screenshots you can see in this post are now extremely outdated once more.
2) The Pre-Alpha was just a way for me to test both the work I had so far, and show you guys i wasn't dead lol.
3) Kinda the same as 1, but yeah, this whole thread now doesn't accurately represent what I actually have at the moment - and so neither did the pre-Alpha.
4) I am really close to releasing Beta 1!

If you already have the Pre-Alpha from July 17, you should be aware of the spoiler-ed notes if you haven't played yet:
Spoiler:
Pre-Alpha Notes
- A pre-alpha has not been formally tested thus is up for criticism and feedback! It is literally just a demo, a very small preview of what's to come. Certain areas are blocked off because they're not included. Nothing will be final and the gameplay length will be extremely short - if this bothers you, you might like to wait for the fuller length alpha. =)
- Freelance is not included yet - only Researcher, Seeker, Gang Member, Journalist, Police Officer and Ranger are playable.
- Some houses are intentionally left empty.
- This preview ends at Sogen Suburb, after you're officially accepted into your Career of choice. The local NPCs will notify you that it's the end.

~ Avara

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject

Age 24
Male
California
Seen August 12th, 2019
Posted September 29th, 2016
731 posts
7.9 Years
whoa, the ideas for this game sound so fantastic, I'm literally sitting here with my jaw open just thinking about it. I have a feeling that this game isn't going to come out for a while (due to the many routes one can take while playing), but it will be a good one. I wish you good luck on completing this game. :15:

Orifiel

Priestess

Female
Tokyo, Japan
Seen May 3rd, 2015
Posted May 5th, 2014
420 posts
6.2 Years
The idea is really interesting.
As I can see in the screenshots. The game looks good so far.
I like the way you map, but It's like a little less-life, sort of.
Oh well, another FireRed hack. People hack FireRed for easy
reasons, still I love 3rd gen better. Anyways, keep that up.
I'll be looking forward for the complete progress of the game.
~ Pair | Character | Previously L96 ~

Avara

Female
Izantine
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Days Ago
1,097 posts
7.9 Years
Thank you so much, i really appreciate the feedback.

How could I improve the maps?

Does anyone know if the name Fire Agate is taken by another hack? I've searched but can't find one.

Orifiel

Priestess

Female
Tokyo, Japan
Seen May 3rd, 2015
Posted May 5th, 2014
420 posts
6.2 Years
Thank you so much, i really appreciate the feedback.

How could I improve the maps?

Does anyone know if the name Fire Agate is taken by another hack? I've searched but can't find one.
No one has taken that name yet.
~ Pair | Character | Previously L96 ~

Lucifer-san

Recently Revived Zombie

Male
Somewhere
Seen September 28th, 2019
Posted September 17th, 2016
166 posts
9 Years
This sounds like this is gonna be quite awesome with the different decisions that one can make. For a name what about Pokemon:Mirage Of Tales or Pokemon: Book Of Dreams or something another. Heh anyways, im looking forward to the game hope you finish this project. If you need a beta tester I would gladly lend assistance so anyways good luck.
I arise from the dead, finally.

Avara

Female
Izantine
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Days Ago
1,097 posts
7.9 Years
Ooh, I like mirage of tales. Thank you! It's going well so far, but at the moment I only have events that can go one or two ways, and I'm trying to make them go more ways in newer scripts if that makes sense haha

Lucifer-san

Recently Revived Zombie

Male
Somewhere
Seen September 28th, 2019
Posted September 17th, 2016
166 posts
9 Years
Hmm is progress still going on for this hack as it has a lot of potential. I hope it doesn't end up being scrapped or something it would be waste. If not I can't wait until you have something to show for your effort.
I arise from the dead, finally.

Avara

Female
Izantine
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Days Ago
1,097 posts
7.9 Years
Working on it as we speak! =) I am planning to release an alpha soon. Not a short alpha though, I only want to have like 1 alpha release 1 beta release then the final release rather than having 37636 betas.

Alpha will go up to the 5th Gym (if you want to do the gyms) or if youre not interested in doing the gyms the alpha will stop after an area called Verlume Villas.

Hope to have a release nxt week once its perfect and I add a few more trainers in =)

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject

Age 24
Male
California
Seen August 12th, 2019
731 posts
7.9 Years
I wonder if I can create multiple saves for all of the different routes :p
Some of the hacks that I like:

I also support Pokemon Liquid Crystal, Glazed, and a few others who either have large banners or none at all.
I'm often not on, but when I am, I show my support in likes :-D
School is back in session. Time to stress out and disappear (even more so than before).
Age 22
Male
Seen 19 Hours Ago
Posted September 5th, 2015
261 posts
6.5 Years
I love this hack idea, will definitely play once the alpha is out.
This signature has been disabled.
Signature is too wide, 600px is the limit.
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.

Avara

Female
Izantine
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Days Ago
1,097 posts
7.9 Years
You can create multiple saves, but the storylines all do lead to the same events in the end. You're able to do all the careers to a certain extent, so just because you do one of them doesn't mean you wont be able to do others, if that makes sense.

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject

Age 24
Male
California
Seen August 12th, 2019
731 posts
7.9 Years
You can create multiple saves, but the storylines all do lead to the same events in the end. You're able to do all the careers to a certain extent, so just because you do one of them doesn't mean you wont be able to do others, if that makes sense.
so, one has the potential to do all 3 jobs? that is so epic :t294:
Advertiser Content