• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The LetterLock Challenge

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
e8dc1833-9a44-4d7c-b87e-da6f4b700086_zps63bd9a69.jpg

Hello: This is my first challenge, so here goes!
This challenge is based off of a game called the "Chain game". To play the Chain Game, you usually just pick a category, then say a word. The next person must say another word that belongs in the category, but that word must start with the letter that the first word ended with! Example: Chocolate, Egg, Grease (The catagory here could have been cooking).

Rules:

Picking your "String" of Pokemon
-Before playing the game, you must devise a "String" of Pokemon. The first Pokemon is usually your starter. The second one, however, must be a Pokemon with a name that begins with the last letter of you starter/first Pokemon. The name of your third must begin with the last letter of the name of your second, and so on...
Exemple of my "string": Turtwig, Gastly, Yanma, Aron, Numel, Lapras, Sableye, Eevee
-The maximum number of Pokemon on your string is 15.
-All Pokemon on your string must be first forms. This rule simplifies picking Pokemon and makes more sense when it comes to obtaining the Pokemon through eggs.
Example: If you wanted a Gengar on your team, you are not allowed to include a Haunter on your string, but instead you would need to put Gastly.
-You cannot "cheat" while making your string. If you reach a point where it is impossible to continue your string (Ran out of Pokemon from a certain letter, maybe?), you need to redo the string to make it possible.

Gameplay:
Note that this is technically just another version of a Nuzlocke, so most Nuzlocke rules apply.
-You may play this challenge on any game, even hacks
-The first six Pokemon of your string must be your first party.
Example: In my case, Turtwig, Gastly, Yanma, Aron, Numel and Lapras would be my starting team.
-When a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead. You must then replace that Pokemon with the next Pokemon on your string.
-Once all Pokemon on your string are dead, it's GAME OVER! This means that you only have a maximum of 15 different Pokemon during the whole run :D
-No nicknaming Pokemon! It's kinda anti-Nuzlocke-ish, but it keeps the Pokemon's original name intact.
-You may not catch any Pokemon other than the ones on your string. No HM slaves allowed! (Unless you really need one :P )
-Optional Rule for more alphabetical fun: During battle, you can only switch out with a Pokemon that starts with the last letter of the Pokemon currently in-batle. Little complicated, so here's an example using my team:
My Turtwig is in battle, and I want to switch out. I still have my Gastly, but my Eevee also evolved into Glaceon. Since Turtwig ends with "G", I can only switch out into Gastly or Glaceon. If I did not have them in my party, I would not be able to switch out at all!

Ways to obtain Pokemon:

Egg Style: This is the suggested and most easy way to obtain the Pokemon needed for the run. After completing your string, get an egg of every Pokemon and trade it over to the game you will be doing the run on. You can hatch the eggs at anytime you want, but remember that the first 6 Pokemon of the string have to be your main party until one of them dies.

Encounter Style: This ones a little more tricky, and in some cases impossible. To obtain your Pokemon, you need to catch them from the wild. This could be difficult, because some Pokemon may only be possible to catch near the end of the run or are impossible to obtain in that certain region. This style adds to the challenge, but I suggest just going with the Egg Style.

Notes: -Even though using your starter as the start of your string is suggested, you may still pick any Pokemon to start with.
-You may play this challenge on any game, but Gen V is recommended because it has the largest variety of Pokemon to pick from.
-These rules may seem a bit complex, but once you get everything started the actual run is as simple as a normal Nuzlocke.

Please PM me if you have any questions. If you do not want to sign up for the challenge, feel free to leave comments or suggestions for the LetterLocke!

Sign-Up Format:
Name: MiniMinum
Game: Platinum
String: Turtwig, Gastly, Yanma, Aron, Numel, Lapras, Sableye, Eevee

Participants:
Spoiler:

Alpha-Masters! (LetterLocke Champions)
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Nineray

Green Okido
Years
For our team
Do our Pokemon always at all times have to form a string, or is the string just for our starting team?

Name: Nineray
Game: White 2
String: Oshawott Timburr Ralts Stoutland Deerling Growlith Horsea Axew

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
Nineray said:
For our team
Do our Pokemon always at all times have to form a string, or is the string just for our starting team?

Nope, just the starting team. But you need to start with the first six, then use the next member of the string as one dies. :)

Back