Pokémon General The home for theories, clubs, polls, and other discussions involving the Pokémon franchise that aren't covered in any of the other boards.

TrollandToad.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old December 26th, 2013 (6:22 AM).
Spys's Avatar
Spys Spys is offline
  • Silver Tier
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hamilton, ON
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
Posts: 50
All Pokémon must be created. But what was the first Pokémon to exist in the Pokémon world? In the Diamond Pokédex entry, it states that Mew can learn any move and scientists believe that it is the ancestor of all Pokémon. So it solves the case right? Wrong. "Believe" doesnt mean a thing without proof. Now since Mew can learn any move, it has a trace if DNA connected to every Pokémon, including Arceus. So next comes Arceus. Its states that Arceus emerged from an egg and shaped the world. What?! If the first person in the world saw Arceus and wanted to write down the facts, how would they even know that the "first Pokémon" hatched from an egg if its the first Pokémon? But aside from that, its more likely that Arceus came before Mew. It is said that Arceus shaped the Sinnoh and possibly the entire world. Then he created Dialga to guard the time dimension, Palkia to guard the space dimension, Uxie, Azelf and Mespirit to keep the world in check, Groudon for the, well, ground, Kyogre for the seas and Rayquaza for the air, then created Mew from there. So the question. Is Arceus an ancestor of Mew? My answer is no. It might have traces of Arceus's DNA, but it was obviously created by Arceus, not vice-versa. Mew is the ancestor of all Pokémon, but the legendaries before it came before. So the theory is bumped, but it helps us know to not always listen to the know it all professers that seem to know the origin of existence. I hope you were entertained, as I always say, this is just a theory.
~Spys
__________________
Keep dreaming, my friend.
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #2    
Old December 26th, 2013 (6:24 AM).
Erladino's Avatar
Erladino Erladino is offline
Dancing with the winds!~
     
    Join Date: Nov 2013
    Location: Somewhere over the rainbow!~
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Lonely
    Posts: 20
    Interesting theory! *Erlade approves*
    __________________

    Pokemon Rumble Online - A Mystery Dungeon and Rumble MMO in 2D

    Reply With Quote
      #3    
    Old December 26th, 2013 (6:28 AM).
    Spys's Avatar
    Spys Spys is offline
    • Silver Tier
     
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Location: Hamilton, ON
    Age: 27
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Lax
    Posts: 50
    Thank you kind sir! Im glad you found it intersting
    __________________
    Keep dreaming, my friend.
    Reply With Quote
      #4    
    Old December 26th, 2013 (6:38 AM).
    Bulbartle's Avatar
    Bulbartle Bulbartle is offline
    Banned for being awesome
       
      Join Date: Oct 2013
      Location: Living room street,House
      Age: 24
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Jolly
      Posts: 37
      Awesome theory but Arceus comes first IMO
      __________________
      3ds:4511-1911-1714
      Reply With Quote
        #5    
      Old December 26th, 2013 (7:48 AM).
      stars's Avatar
      stars stars is online now
      • Super Moderator
      • Platinum Tier
      • Discord Moderoid
       
      Join Date: Nov 2007
      Location: Skaia
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Naive
      Posts: 28,382
      Yeah, I think Arceus and the biggest legendaries came to be like you say. They aren't necessary related to the rest of all pokémon - maybe that is why we can call them legendary. They are special, stronger. Then there are of course Mewtwo and Genesect who are "legendary" strong because they were genetically manipulated, and there is Deoxys who is strong like that because it comes from space.

      But I believe Arceus created a lot of Mew to populate the world. As time passed by, Mew evolved into other species. So Mew doesn't really have the DNA of every other pokémon species in it - rather (almost) every other species is a descendant from Mew and thus has similarities with the original non-legendary pokémon DNA. Which would be Mew's.
      __________________
      paired to a seeker
      oh my stars!
      ★ ☆

      Reply With Quote
        #6    
      Old December 26th, 2013 (5:01 PM).
      GhastlyGastly's Avatar
      GhastlyGastly GhastlyGastly is offline
      Crazy Pokémon Lady
         
        Join Date: Jan 2013
        Location: Lumiose City
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Sassy
        Posts: 128
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Spys View Post
        All Pokémon must be created. But what was the first Pokémon to exist in the Pokémon world? In the Diamond Pokédex entry, it states that Mew can learn any move and scientists believe that it is the ancestor of all Pokémon. So it solves the case right? Wrong. "Believe" doesnt mean a thing without proof. Now since Mew can learn any move, it has a trace if DNA connected to every Pokémon, including Arceus. So next comes Arceus. Its states that Arceus emerged from an egg and shaped the world. What?! If the first person in the world saw Arceus and wanted to write down the facts, how would they even know that the "first Pokémon" hatched from an egg if its the first Pokémon? But aside from that, its more likely that Arceus came before Mew. It is said that Arceus shaped the Sinnoh and possibly the entire world. Then he created Dialga to guard the time dimension, Palkia to guard the space dimension, Uxie, Azelf and Mespirit to keep the world in check, Groudon for the, well, ground, Kyogre for the seas and Rayquaza for the air, then created Mew from there. So the question. Is Arceus an ancestor of Mew? My answer is no. It might have traces of Arceus's DNA, but it was obviously created by Arceus, not vice-versa. Mew is the ancestor of all Pokémon, but the legendaries before it came before. So the theory is bumped, but it helps us know to not always listen to the know it all professers that seem to know the origin of existence. I hope you were entertained, as I always say, this is just a theory.
        ~Spys
        I disagree that any Pokémon were "created". I'm a rare Poké-atheist: legendaries are legendary to me. Part of mythology. Myths don't have to be true. Arceus isn't the "god" of the Pokémon world, it's simply been deified in ancient Sinnoh culture and mythology. It's very common for animals perceived as special or powerful to be deified and worshipped as gods by primitive societies; the bear is a good example, it is revered as a "god-animal" by the Ainu people of Japan. I devoted a thread to this topic, in part; you can find it in my signature under "Legendary Pokémon ~ Fact or Fiction?".
        __________________
        Remember to rate and reply, please!
        Reply With Quote
          #7    
        Old December 27th, 2013 (1:46 AM).
        ­­­ ­­­ is offline
        Banned
           
          Join Date: Dec 2013
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 4
          I still think that Arceus created Mew, Dragon and Lake Trio, then Mew created the rest (or maybe I played Light Platinum too much xD)
          Reply With Quote
            #8    
          Old December 27th, 2013 (2:39 AM).
          inheartstaco's Avatar
          inheartstaco inheartstaco is offline
          Lightning Dragon Slayer
             
            Join Date: Dec 2013
            Location: Australia
            Age: 22
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 92
            It would make sense that Mew was the second Poke to come into existence with Arceus being the first, because if Mew's DNA contains every other poke including Arceus' then it might be reasonable to conclude that Arceus created Mew by using a part of it's own DNA as a test, then enabling it to learn every move so mew was able to breed and create every other poke we know today.
            So really, Mew's DNA doesn't contain every pokemons, their DNA contains Mew's

            I don't think however that the legendaries are descendants of Mew, I do believe that Arceus created every single legendary for a special purpose to fulfil in it's universe although each legendary does have part of Mew's DNA (Because Mew was the the first creation and it makes sense to keep some of Mew's base DNA as a template for the other legendaries that Arcues wanted to make)
            __________________
            Reply With Quote
              #9    
            Old December 27th, 2013 (3:05 AM).
            Satoshi Ookami's Avatar
            Satoshi Ookami Satoshi Ookami is offline
            Memento Mori
            • Gold Tier
             
            Join Date: Jul 2008
            Location: Abyss of Time, Great Seal
            Age: 25
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Calm
            Posts: 14,504
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by GhastlyGastly View Post
            Arceus isn't the "god" of the Pokémon world, it's simply been deified in ancient Sinnoh culture and mythology.
            Well... he is... he is referred to as god by pretty much everyone so... he is a god.
            Not to mention he's "Alpha Pokemon" Alpha == 1st, ergo nothing before him.

            As for the theory, yea, I agree as well =) Pretty much that's how I think legendaries were created.
            __________________
            ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack.

            Anime List | PSN Trophy List
            Reply With Quote
              #10    
            Old December 27th, 2013 (3:22 AM).
            GhastlyGastly's Avatar
            GhastlyGastly GhastlyGastly is offline
            Crazy Pokémon Lady
               
              Join Date: Jan 2013
              Location: Lumiose City
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Sassy
              Posts: 128
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Satoshi Ookami View Post
              Well... he is... he is referred to as god by pretty much everyone so... he is a god.
              Not to mention he's "Alpha Pokemon" Alpha == 1st, ergo nothing before him.
              Arceus is treated as a god, sure. Sinnoh mythology regards him as a creator, as a deity: that doesn't mean he is one. The label as "Alpha Pokémon" doesn't mean he was actually the first Pokémon. To me, Arceus is a Pokémon, like any other; not a god. He is a legendary Pokémon, sure; e.g., a species of Pokémon which is far rarer and more powerful than common, run-of-the-mill Pokémon. But even a legendary Pokémon is still a Pokémon. There are tribes in the Philippines that worship crocodiles as gods, because they're the biggest and most powerful creatures they know of. The people of ancient Sinnoh in the Pokémon world knew of the rare, powerful Pokémon Arceus, and treated it as a god, for the same reason.
              You don't have to believe it, but that's my view. Poké-atheism is the rational position, if an unpopular one.
              __________________
              Remember to rate and reply, please!
              Reply With Quote
                #11    
              Old December 27th, 2013 (4:07 AM).
              Spys's Avatar
              Spys Spys is offline
              • Silver Tier
               
              Join Date: Dec 2013
              Location: Hamilton, ON
              Age: 27
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Lax
              Posts: 50
              You guys have very creative views.
              __________________
              Keep dreaming, my friend.
              Reply With Quote
                #12    
              Old December 27th, 2013 (7:01 AM).
              Nah's Avatar
              Nah Nah is offline
              • Moderator
               
              Join Date: Nov 2013
              Location: over there
              Age: 25
              Gender: Female
              Posts: 11,698
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by GhastlyGastly View Post
              Arceus is treated as a god, sure. Sinnoh mythology regards him as a creator, as a deity: that doesn't mean he is one. The label as "Alpha Pokémon" doesn't mean he was actually the first Pokémon. To me, Arceus is a Pokémon, like any other; not a god. He is a legendary Pokémon, sure; e.g., a species of Pokémon which is far rarer and more powerful than common, run-of-the-mill Pokémon. But even a legendary Pokémon is still a Pokémon. There are tribes in the Philippines that worship crocodiles as gods, because they're the biggest and most powerful creatures they know of. The people of ancient Sinnoh in the Pokémon world knew of the rare, powerful Pokémon Arceus, and treated it as a god, for the same reason.
              You don't have to believe it, but that's my view. Poké-atheism is the rational position, if an unpopular one.
              My view on this topic is basically the same as Spys.

              GhastlyGastly, have you ever been to the Sinjoh Ruins? For those of you who don't know, if you had a legit Arceus in your party (as the only Pokemon) in HG/SS and went to the Ruins of Alph after defeating the Elite 4, you'd be warped to a place far to the north of Johto, called the Sinjoh Ruins. Inside the ruins is a stage that you can have Arceus "dance" upon, and it'll make one of the Creation Trio for you.

              I bring up the Sinjoh Ruins because I think that it sorta proves that Arceus is the god of the Pokemon world. I think something that is capable of creating beings that have power over time, space, and antimatter qualifies as a god. I'm an atheist in real life, but I don't see why there can't be a god in the Pokemon world. And then Arceus is so godly (bad pun intended) in battle...

              Besides, I find Pokemon mythology interesting.
              __________________
              NAH

              "Heh, I'm not scared of you!"

              D&D6th Gen
              Reply With Quote
                #13    
              Old December 27th, 2013 (4:07 PM).
              GhastlyGastly's Avatar
              GhastlyGastly GhastlyGastly is offline
              Crazy Pokémon Lady
                 
                Join Date: Jan 2013
                Location: Lumiose City
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Sassy
                Posts: 128
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by No Chance Without Zekrom View Post
                My view on this topic is basically the same as Spys.

                GhastlyGastly, have you ever been to the Sinjoh Ruins? For those of you who don't know, if you had a legit Arceus in your party (as the only Pokemon) in HG/SS and went to the Ruins of Alph after defeating the Elite 4, you'd be warped to a place far to the north of Johto, called the Sinjoh Ruins. Inside the ruins is a stage that you can have Arceus "dance" upon, and it'll make one of the Creation Trio for you.

                I bring up the Sinjoh Ruins because I think that it sorta proves that Arceus is the god of the Pokemon world. I think something that is capable of creating beings that have power over time, space, and antimatter qualifies as a god. I'm an atheist in real life, but I don't see why there can't be a god in the Pokemon world. And then Arceus is so godly (bad pun intended) in battle...

                Besides, I find Pokemon mythology interesting.
                I have been to the Sinjoh Ruins, yes; though I consider it (and all other event-only locations and such) to be essentially non-canon, in a way. And as for Arceus' alleged creation of other Pokémon, I'm a bit skeptical. I suppose it comes back to a quote from Christopher Hitchens, which has become one of the rationales behind my real-life atheism, with regard to miracles and similar "proofs" of gods and such: "which is more likely: that the laws of the universe have been suspended, in your favor, or that somebody's made a mistake?" In other words, Arceus' alleged "creation" of the Creation Trio doesn't really qualify as proof of its "divinity" to me: there are any number of other explanations; hallucination, dream, general misinterpretation, etc.
                There are very few other Poké-atheists, it seems, but I think it is the rational position. The best evidence I've seen that Arceus is some sort of "god" is, yes, its somewhat "godly" power in battle: even so, that simply proves to me that it's a very powerful Pokémon, not that it's a literal god. If anything, it gives reason for the ancient Sinnoh culture to deify it.
                __________________
                Remember to rate and reply, please!
                Reply With Quote
                  #14    
                Old December 27th, 2013 (4:30 PM).
                Thai's Avatar
                Thai Thai is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Dec 2013
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Jolly
                  Posts: 4
                  I'm glad you guy are liking Pokemon Mythology as much as I am!
                  __________________
                  Reply With Quote
                    #15    
                  Old December 27th, 2013 (5:21 PM).
                  Nah's Avatar
                  Nah Nah is offline
                  • Moderator
                   
                  Join Date: Nov 2013
                  Location: over there
                  Age: 25
                  Gender: Female
                  Posts: 11,698
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by GhastlyGastly View Post
                  I have been to the Sinjoh Ruins, yes; though I consider it (and all other event-only locations and such) to be essentially non-canon, in a way. And as for Arceus' alleged creation of other Pokémon, I'm a bit skeptical. I suppose it comes back to a quote from Christopher Hitchens, which has become one of the rationales behind my real-life atheism, with regard to miracles and similar "proofs" of gods and such: "which is more likely: that the laws of the universe have been suspended, in your favor, or that somebody's made a mistake?" In other words, Arceus' alleged "creation" of the Creation Trio doesn't really qualify as proof of its "divinity" to me: there are any number of other explanations; hallucination, dream, general misinterpretation, etc.
                  There are very few other Poké-atheists, it seems, but I think it is the rational position. The best evidence I've seen that Arceus is some sort of "god" is, yes, its somewhat "godly" power in battle: even so, that simply proves to me that it's a very powerful Pokémon, not that it's a literal god. If anything, it gives reason for the ancient Sinnoh culture to deify it.
                  You watch Arceus create an egg that quickly hatches into a Palkia, Dialga, or Giratina. I really don't think its a hallucination or dream or anything like that.

                  But ya know....we're probably thinking too hard/much about this.

                  One funny thing to point out in regards to Arceus is that its a god, but you can shove it in a PokeBall, and it'll take orders from a kid.
                  __________________
                  NAH

                  "Heh, I'm not scared of you!"

                  D&D6th Gen
                  Reply With Quote
                    #16    
                  Old December 27th, 2013 (6:07 PM).
                  GhastlyGastly's Avatar
                  GhastlyGastly GhastlyGastly is offline
                  Crazy Pokémon Lady
                     
                    Join Date: Jan 2013
                    Location: Lumiose City
                    Gender: Female
                    Nature: Sassy
                    Posts: 128
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by No Chance Without Zekrom View Post
                    You watch Arceus create an egg that quickly hatches into a Palkia, Dialga, or Giratina. I really don't think its a hallucination or dream or anything like that.

                    But ya know....we're probably thinking too hard/much about this.

                    One funny thing to point out in regards to Arceus is that its a god, but you can shove it in a PokeBall, and it'll take orders from a kid.
                    I'm not saying it was absolutely a hallucination or a dream, those were just some examples of what it could have been. My basic point is just that I think it's more likely that the "Arceus-is-a-god" people are misinterpreting those events, at least in part.

                    Consider: the Sinjoh Ruins are accessed via the Ruins of Alph, which is where Unown reside. Unown are known to have reality-warping abilities (or at least something similar to that; it's equally probable that they simply have very powerful psychic powers which can cause hallucinations, etc.): I'm of the opinion that it's far more likely that Unown were responsible for the events of the Sinjoh Ruins, among other things. For Arceus, we have no reason to think that it possesses creative or otherwise godlike powers; on the other hand, it seems to frequently occur in conjunction with Unown, which are known to have powers which could account for the observed phenomena. Just a theory of course, but more probable for me than simply accepting the myths of Sinnoh as true, or that Arceus is a god.

                    And yes, haha, I do believe that the fact that people can capture the "god" of the Pokémon universe in an ordinary Pokéball can be considered as evidence against Arceus' alleged divinity.
                    __________________
                    Remember to rate and reply, please!
                    Reply With Quote
                      #17    
                    Old December 27th, 2013 (11:55 PM).
                    Brendino's Avatar
                    Brendino Brendino is offline
                    Good Bye & Good Night
                    • Moderator
                    • Crystal Tier
                    • Social Media
                     
                    Join Date: Dec 2009
                    Nature: Quiet
                    Posts: 7,470
                    While I think that "Poké-atheism" is an interesting concept, in a world where magical creatures like Pokémon exist, I don't find it that hard to believe that Arceus is the ancestor of all Pokemon, and may very well may be a God Pokemon.

                    As for Mew or Arceus being the first Pokemon and who's the ancestor of who, I have an almost identical opinion to Rika. I've always figured Arceus came first, and then created many of the legendary Pokemon to control space, time, the sky, the oceans, etc., and then created Mew. While I'm sure it took millions of years, I believe that many of the Mew started turning into new species of Pokemon. But, since all Pokemon contain a bit of Mew's DNA (and because Mew contains a bit of Arceus'), it has the ability to transform into any other Pokemon that it sees if it so wishes.
                    __________________


                         
                    Reply With Quote
                      #18    
                    Old December 28th, 2013 (12:36 AM).
                    GhastlyGastly's Avatar
                    GhastlyGastly GhastlyGastly is offline
                    Crazy Pokémon Lady
                       
                      Join Date: Jan 2013
                      Location: Lumiose City
                      Gender: Female
                      Nature: Sassy
                      Posts: 128
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Brendino View Post
                      While I think that "Poké-atheism" is an interesting concept, in a world where magical creatures like Pokémon exist, I don't find it that hard to believe that Arceus is the ancestor of all Pokemon, and may very well may be a God Pokemon.

                      As for Mew or Arceus being the first Pokemon and who's the ancestor of who, I have an almost identical opinion to Rika. I've always figured Arceus came first, and then created many of the legendary Pokemon to control space, time, the sky, the oceans, etc., and then created Mew. While I'm sure it took millions of years, I believe that many of the Mew started turning into new species of Pokemon. But, since all Pokemon contain a bit of Mew's DNA (and because Mew contains a bit of Arceus'), it has the ability to transform into any other Pokemon that it sees if it so wishes.
                      Hahaha, wow, funny as I'm sure it is, I've actually never considered Pokémon as "magical creatures" before

                      I suppose my Poké-atheism really isn't rooted in any particular problem with the story we're given: the mythology about Arceus and making legendary Pokémon to govern time, space, sea, land, etc., is perfectly consistent and makes some degree of sense. I just don't see any particular reason to think that the myths are true based on that.
                      Though, I admit that I do have difficulty believing certain elements of the legends. Arceus' "thousand arms"? It doesn't have any arms as far as anybody knows. That, to me, reeks of simple mythology. Anyway, in other words: Arceus as a god just doesn't impress me. The evidence simply isn't there; and what evidence I've ever been presented with can be adequately explained by other things.

                      And I suppose while I'm at it, I might as well air another of my radical Pokémon theories
                      The common view is that Mew is the ancestor of all Pokémon, and, as you described, over however long, a multitude of Mews effectively "evolved" into all other Pokémon species. I see it a bit differently; my instincts as a partly-trained evolutionary biologist scream in agony at the idea that things evolved backwards (i.e., that there was a creature with the DNA of all other creatures, and thus all other creatures descended from that singular creature) Granted, as the Pokémon world is, at best, a parallel universe to ours, and Pokémon as creatures are clearly distinct from our ordinary animals, I still can't quite wrap my head around Pokémon having evolved in reverse (especially when I remember prehistoric fossil Pokémon). It could very well have happened that way in the Pokémon world, but I'm not convinced.
                      That being said, it is apparent that certain Pokémon, possessing psychic abilities, are capable of apparently influencing, or traveling through, time (or at least it appears that way...). There is also apparent evidence of Pokémon being capable of interdimensionality/transdimensionality (Giratina, Haunter, etc.): a fact which may or may not be related to the apparent time-traveling phenomenon.

                      Anyway, given all this, I find it considerably more believable that Mew is in fact a Pokémon from the future: a Pokémon which, for whatever reason, is evidently a sort of genetic amalgam of all Pokémon which have ever existed (presumably whatever new Pokémon will be discovered in the future as well). It's a theory anyway, haha
                      __________________
                      Remember to rate and reply, please!
                      Reply With Quote
                        #19    
                      Old December 28th, 2013 (7:01 AM).
                      Nah's Avatar
                      Nah Nah is offline
                      • Moderator
                       
                      Join Date: Nov 2013
                      Location: over there
                      Age: 25
                      Gender: Female
                      Posts: 11,698
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by GhastlyGastly View Post
                      Hahaha, wow, funny as I'm sure it is, I've actually never considered Pokémon as "magical creatures" before

                      I suppose my Poké-atheism really isn't rooted in any particular problem with the story we're given: the mythology about Arceus and making legendary Pokémon to govern time, space, sea, land, etc., is perfectly consistent and makes some degree of sense. I just don't see any particular reason to think that the myths are true based on that.
                      Though, I admit that I do have difficulty believing certain elements of the legends. Arceus' "thousand arms"? It doesn't have any arms as far as anybody knows. That, to me, reeks of simple mythology. Anyway, in other words: Arceus as a god just doesn't impress me. The evidence simply isn't there; and what evidence I've ever been presented with can be adequately explained by other things.

                      And I suppose while I'm at it, I might as well air another of my radical Pokémon theories
                      The common view is that Mew is the ancestor of all Pokémon, and, as you described, over however long, a multitude of Mews effectively "evolved" into all other Pokémon species. I see it a bit differently; my instincts as a partly-trained evolutionary biologist scream in agony at the idea that things evolved backwards (i.e., that there was a creature with the DNA of all other creatures, and thus all other creatures descended from that singular creature) Granted, as the Pokémon world is, at best, a parallel universe to ours, and Pokémon as creatures are clearly distinct from our ordinary animals, I still can't quite wrap my head around Pokémon having evolved in reverse (especially when I remember prehistoric fossil Pokémon). It could very well have happened that way in the Pokémon world, but I'm not convinced.
                      That being said, it is apparent that certain Pokémon, possessing psychic abilities, are capable of apparently influencing, or traveling through, time (or at least it appears that way...). There is also apparent evidence of Pokémon being capable of interdimensionality/transdimensionality (Giratina, Haunter, etc.): a fact which may or may not be related to the apparent time-traveling phenomenon.

                      Anyway, given all this, I find it considerably more believable that Mew is in fact a Pokémon from the future: a Pokémon which, for whatever reason, is evidently a sort of genetic amalgam of all Pokémon which have ever existed (presumably whatever new Pokémon will be discovered in the future as well). It's a theory anyway, haha
                      I think the thousand arms thing with Arceus is a reference to a deity to from a religion/creation myth in real life (and the Spear Pillar is a reference to the Shinto creation myth).

                      And you gotta remember, biologists aren't part of Game Freak's staff, so they're bound to make errors in regards to some biology things. Like the use of the term evolution (Your Charmander evolved into a Charmeleon!) in the games. Pokemon don't really evolve when they...evolve. Its more like a really quick metamorphism.

                      I have to say, your theory on Mew is interesting.
                      __________________
                      NAH

                      "Heh, I'm not scared of you!"

                      D&D6th Gen
                      Reply With Quote
                        #20    
                      Old December 28th, 2013 (5:04 PM).
                      GhastlyGastly's Avatar
                      GhastlyGastly GhastlyGastly is offline
                      Crazy Pokémon Lady
                         
                        Join Date: Jan 2013
                        Location: Lumiose City
                        Gender: Female
                        Nature: Sassy
                        Posts: 128
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by No Chance Without Zekrom View Post
                        I think the thousand arms thing with Arceus is a reference to a deity to from a religion/creation myth in real life (and the Spear Pillar is a reference to the Shinto creation myth).

                        And you gotta remember, biologists aren't part of Game Freak's staff, so they're bound to make errors in regards to some biology things. Like the use of the term evolution (Your Charmander evolved into a Charmeleon!) in the games. Pokemon don't really evolve when they...evolve. Its more like a really quick metamorphism.

                        I have to say, your theory on Mew is interesting.
                        Hahaha, oh, I definitely know that they don't have biologists at Game Freak: that's quite obvious haha
                        People don't have to agree, that's just how my brain works. I'm too attached to the Pokémon world to let things about it be unexplained, or otherwise not make sense, haha. Well and yes, I agree that the thousands arms reference is linking to religion/mythology. But that still doesn't explain why Arceus doesn't have those thousand arms...

                        And as for the "evolution" thing, obviously it isn't being used in a way comparable to real-life evolution. My rationalization there is simply that "evolution" is the term that the people of the Pokémon world use to describe a Pokémon's metamorphosis; though it's apparent that a more realistic evolution exists in the Pokémon world too, as evidenced by the existence of Pokémon like Anorith and Kabutops, for example. Clearly something akin to real-world evolutionary biology exists in the Pokémon world, though it is not commonly addressed (and would likely be easily confused with the metamorphosis-type "evolution" everybody normally associates with Pokémon).

                        I think that Pokémon "evolution" is really more like a simple aging process. Well, not quite "simple". It's something like a combination of maturation and metamorphosis; Pokémon also have the process of "leveling" which is not entirely comparable to known animal species.

                        A good example I like to use of a real-world animal that "evolves" in similar manner to Pokémon is the axolotl: a Mexican salamander species.


                        Stages of axolotl metamorphosis.

                        In the wild, axolotl's seldom (almost never) reach maturity, and metamorphose; unusual among amphibians. Axolotls remain aquatic and retain their gills throughout their lives; they also breed, despite not metamorphosing into their "adult" anatomy. However, it was discovered that with the injection or inclusion of iodine into their bodies (whether artificially or via diet), the normally permanently-immature axolotl reacts to the iodine and undergoes metamorphosis into its "mature", gill-less, land-dwelling form. This is very similar to the manner in which many Pokémon react to certain items (such as certain stones).

                        Pokémon, I think, have a similar system. However, for many of them, "leveling" (which I think is essentially aging, and the acquisition of various maturing hormones which are activated through aging and through battling) is the means by which they may eventually metamorphose, or "evolve". For example, I do believe that Bulbasaur and Venusaur are the same species of Pokémon: Bulbasaur is merely the juvenile form, and Venusaur is the adult form (and of course Ivysaur is the intermediary adolescent form). I use that as an example because it's one of the clearest cases of Pokémon maturing: not only does the body of Bulbasaur change as it matures into an adult Venusaur, but the plant bulb on its back also matures and develops throughout its life. Pokémon merely have a less gradual aging process than most animals: rather than growing in a continuous manner, they appear to age and develop in periodic, metamorphosis-like spurts. But it's not quite like arthopod or amphibian metamorphosis, either.

                        It's a theory anyway. As I'm sure you've gathered by now, I'm a bit of a Poké-theorist about just about everything, haha Anyway, I digress. A bit off-topic.
                        __________________
                        Remember to rate and reply, please!
                        Reply With Quote
                          #21    
                        Old January 19th, 2014 (3:20 PM).
                        Blooes Blooes is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Jan 2014
                          Gender:
                          Posts: 6
                          Arceus obviously created mew...
                          Reply With Quote
                            #22    
                          Old January 19th, 2014 (9:05 PM).
                          GhastlyGastly's Avatar
                          GhastlyGastly GhastlyGastly is offline
                          Crazy Pokémon Lady
                             
                            Join Date: Jan 2013
                            Location: Lumiose City
                            Gender: Female
                            Nature: Sassy
                            Posts: 128
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Blooes View Post
                            Arceus obviously created mew...
                            How exactly is that "obvious"? There's no evidence for that...
                            __________________
                            Remember to rate and reply, please!
                            Reply With Quote
                              #23    
                            Old January 20th, 2014 (6:01 AM).
                            Nah's Avatar
                            Nah Nah is offline
                            • Moderator
                             
                            Join Date: Nov 2013
                            Location: over there
                            Age: 25
                            Gender: Female
                            Posts: 11,698
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by GhastlyGastly View Post
                            How exactly is that "obvious"? There's no evidence for that...
                            I think he didn't read the posts in this thread.
                            __________________
                            NAH

                            "Heh, I'm not scared of you!"

                            D&D6th Gen
                            Reply With Quote
                              #24    
                            Old January 24th, 2014 (4:39 PM).
                            Tek's Avatar
                            Tek Tek is offline
                            • Crystal Tier
                             
                            Join Date: Oct 2013
                            Location: Kansas City
                            Age: 27
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Brave
                            Posts: 937
                            Hmm... My pondering circuits are activating. I'm going to think out loud for a second. Or post out loud. Or think out post. Moving on.

                            Firstly, as Ghastly has pointed out, there's no hard evidence as to the origins of either of these pokemon. So that's very important.

                            Now Mew is thought to be the ancestor of all pokemon, because it contains their DNA and can use any move. I don't think that Mew would be a pokemon from the future, as the genetic lines would have diverged over time. I would interpret the statement made by the Kanto scientists about Mew's DNA as meaning that Mew has DNA in common with all other pokemon (like a 'most recent common ancestor').

                            I have been to the Sinjoh ruins and seen Arceus' creative power firsthand. Whether this makes arceus a divine god depends, on other things, one's definition of divinity. I didn't see any evidence of unown, though. And the Giratina in my party is definitely not a hallucination.

                            I suppose I agree with the OP: it seems likely that Arceus came first and created Mew along with the other legendaries.
                            __________________
                            Reply With Quote
                              #25    
                            Old January 25th, 2014 (12:44 AM).
                            GhastlyGastly's Avatar
                            GhastlyGastly GhastlyGastly is offline
                            Crazy Pokémon Lady
                               
                              Join Date: Jan 2013
                              Location: Lumiose City
                              Gender: Female
                              Nature: Sassy
                              Posts: 128
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by YZN View Post
                              Hmm... My pondering circuits are activating. I'm going to think out loud for a second. Or post out loud. Or think out post. Moving on.

                              Firstly, as Ghastly has pointed out, there's no hard evidence as to the origins of either of these pokemon. So that's very important.

                              Now Mew is thought to be the ancestor of all pokemon, because it contains their DNA and can use any move. I don't think that Mew would be a pokemon from the future, as the genetic lines would have diverged over time. I would interpret the statement made by the Kanto scientists about Mew's DNA as meaning that Mew has DNA in common with all other pokemon (like a 'most recent common ancestor').

                              I have been to the Sinjoh ruins and seen Arceus' creative power firsthand. Whether this makes arceus a divine god depends, on other things, one's definition of divinity. I didn't see any evidence of unown, though. And the Giratina in my party is definitely not a hallucination.

                              I suppose I agree with the OP: it seems likely that Arceus came first and created Mew along with the other legendaries.
                              What's particularly "likely" about Arceus coming first and Mew being created afterward? Mew possesses the DNA of all Pokémon: that is a stated fact. Arceus being born out of an egg and creating the world and all that is very clearly stated to be legend and mythology.

                              And how can the evidence of Unown be overlooked? The Sinjoh Ruins are accessed via the Ruins of Alph: it's frankly a possibility that the Sinjoh Ruins don't exist, and are merely a dream-world created psychically by Unown. Unown clearly possess some mysterious creative power, whereas Arceus is dubious in that regard. Arceus clearly has qualities which would make it an easy target for ancient folklore to gravitate toward (it's very powerful, for example), but divinity and magic and creator-god powers are a bit of a stretch for me.

                              "Seeing first-hand" Arceus' alleged creative power doesn't impress me, frankly; there are too many red flags: Unown, Pokédex entries, movesets, Mew... It just doesn't add up. There are a number of adequate explanations other than taking the myths at face-value. All that the Sinjoh Ruins prove to me is that there appear to be circumstances which could lead ancient, superstitious Sinnohjin to label Arceus as a deity; whether they were correct is highly debatable. As I may have mentioned before, I'm not certain that the link of Sinnoh to Hokkaido is coincidental: the native Ainu people of Hokkaido worship bears as their ancestral god-animal, and have a plethora of legends and myths about various animals in the region (though of course none of them are known to possess the mystical powers they are given in the stories). Arceus also has many parallels with the Chinese creation myth of Pangu (especially considering that Pangu means literally "plate ancient" in Chinese), and the legend of Bai Ze (hakutaku in Japanese).

                              Pangu was said to be a monstrous horned giant, who emerged from a cosmic egg, and created the world; in some versions, he is aided in the creation by the Turtle, the Qilin, the Phoenix, and the Dragon. The Bai Ze was a mystical white beast, possessing nine eyes and six horns (incidentally, Arceus can be interpreted as bearing similar features, namely, his "halo"), and a body variously described as similar to a lion, an ox, or a qilin: the Bai Ze was found by the Yellow Emperor of China, and it dictated to him a book describing the 11,520 varieties of monsters and legendary creatures in the world. I think the parallels here are obvious.

                              In short, however, I reiterate my extreme reluctance to accept Arceus as a deity of any kind; there just isn't enough evidence, and there are too many alternate explanations, parallels to mythology, etc.

                              It just doesn't work for me, haha

                              (And yes, for those who noticed, Absol is also based on the Bai Ze; albeit a particular Japanese version, in which the creature predicts a terrible disaster, rather than giving knowledge about legendary monsters.)

                              P.S. ~ Why can't Mew be a Pokémon from the future? Why would the genetic lines diverge over time? I mean, obviously that's ordinarily the case, but Ditto makes it entirely possible (and likely) that the lines would actually converge instead. I wrote a longer article discussing all that on my blog though, haha You can take a look if you want: the "Pokémonography" link in my signature will take you there.
                              __________________
                              Remember to rate and reply, please!
                              Reply With Quote
                              Reply

                              Quick Reply

                              Join the conversation!

                              Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                              Create a PokéCommunity Account

                              Sponsored Links
                              Thread Tools

                              Posting Rules
                              You may not post new threads
                              You may not post replies
                              You may not post attachments
                              You may not edit your posts

                              BB code is On
                              Smilies are On
                              [IMG] code is On
                              HTML code is Off

                              Forum Jump


                              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:04 AM.