Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

View Poll Results: Do watch DUB/SUB animes of your favorite
Dub 7 25.00%
Sub 21 75.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old February 7th, 2014 (8:58 AM).
antemortem's Avatar
antemortem antemortem is offline
rushing, ad infinitum
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Posts: 7,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck View Post
I'd say subs, not only because I'm a closet weeaboo but also because some English anime tend to rearrange or outright cut things out. Even if content is changed for the better, I'd rather see the creator's original vision first and foremost.
I agree with this, I think. There are certain anime that I enjoy both of, but it's always old anime that I rehash every now and then because I've still not coped with it being over, like InuYasha, but that's really a whole other deal. As for modern anime, if I've read the manga, I much prefer the dub because then I can tell what's been changed, what was really meant to be said, and so on. If I've never read the manga, I'll settle for watching all of the sub and then trying out the dub when the time comes simply for hearing how the voice acting was carried out. Normally I'm satisfied, but in certain cases (Angel Beats! :|) it doesn't work.
__________________
TURN ON THE BRIGHT LIGHTS
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #27    
Old February 7th, 2014 (9:32 PM).
Brendan14's Avatar
Brendan14 Brendan14 is offline
your fervent wish
     
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Location: Hoenn
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Serious
    Posts: 251
    Sub all the way. I like the voice actors for subs better, since the dub actors more or less try to fit the power level, and don't try and get the personality right.

    Byakuya from Bleach, for example. He's a right posh guy and one of the strongest Captains. The subbed voice actor makes him sound posh, adding a certain tone and way of speaking to his voice (it's posh in japanese culture). The dubbed voice actor just sounds generic and like he couldn't care as long as he's paid.
    Reply With Quote
      #28    
    Old February 15th, 2014 (12:41 PM).
    AdorbzFangirl's Avatar
    AdorbzFangirl AdorbzFangirl is online now
    *squealing intensifies*
    • Platinum Tier
     
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: Isle of the Lost with Harry Hook. <3
    Age: 28
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Timid
    Posts: 5,348
    Because of my poor reading comprehension and special needs, I've always watched my anime dubbed. It helps me process the details of what I'm watching faster. I have watched some things subbed, like 1 litre of tears... but it's still very hard for me to watch anything subbed.
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #29    
    Old February 16th, 2014 (10:50 AM).
    Digidark822 Digidark822 is offline
       
      Join Date: Jul 2013
      Location: Contest Halls everywhere
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Quiet
      Posts: 16
      I prefer subs, after watching part of Naruto in dub, I couldn't take that voice anymore. So I switched. Only good dub I've ever seen is DBZ.
      Reply With Quote
        #30    
      Old February 17th, 2014 (7:17 PM).
      Raine's Avatar
      Raine Raine is offline
      • Silver Tier
       
      Join Date: Jan 2014
      Location: Ontario, Canada
      Age: 23
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Gentle
      Posts: 3,710
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Satoshi Ookami View Post
      Exactly this Unfortunately many people feel (because of this fact) that their voices are too high pitched and annoying. I always laugh when they put Kugimiya Rie as an example just because they heard her tsundere roles (in which she's absolutely perfect =D)... these people should seriously hear her voicing Rise from Persona 4.
      I'm one of the people who have an issue with high-pitched voices actually XD I don't mind it, to be honest since my solution is to keep away from series that have too much focus on female characters or have too many of them x: Thus my preference for shounen-type anime and a more male-dominated cast. But the female Japanese voice actresses that can do male ones are good.
      __________________
      And who knows: starting a new journey may not be so hard, or maybe it has already begun
      There are many worlds, and they share the same sky - one sky, one destiny


      — レイン —
      Reply With Quote
        #31    
      Old February 18th, 2014 (4:40 PM).
      Olli's Avatar
      Olli Olli is offline
      I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
      • Silver Tier
       
      Join Date: Aug 2010
      Location: Skyloft
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Quiet
      Posts: 2,613
      Unless an anime hasn't been dubbed yet, or if the dub is unbearably bad, I'll always go for the dub as a starting point. I often have a habit of doing other things while watching anime, in which cases understanding what's actually being said is a huge convenience. And it's not because most English dubs are that bad either. As someone who's jumped around a bit when it comes to dubs and subs, I always prefer the first one I've watched, since those are the voices I've grown accustomed to and associate the characters with. If I suddenly jump from dub to sub or vice versa, I'll often dislike it at first. I reckon a good example of that is Naruto.

      I watched the entire original series in the English dub, but when I got to Shippuuden, only a few episodes had been dubbed. So if I wanted to watch Shippuuden, I'd have to live with the new voices. And it did take a while to get accustomed to, but I eventually started liking them. As more and more episodes got dubbed, I decided I wanted to go back and watch a few of them in English, and I actually turned out dislike the dub after that, which I'd originally preferred. Of course this isn't always the case, and there are a bunch of animes who are just downright bad, but to me, it's all about preference.

      So all in all, I honestly don't really have a preference. I reckon if I were to choose something, it'd be English, simply due to how convenient it is to understand the language. But I'm completely fine with either :p
      __________________
      Not removing this from my signature!

      Reply With Quote
        #32    
      Old February 21st, 2014 (8:54 AM).
      Scandalice's Avatar
      Scandalice Scandalice is offline
      now known as Sukyandaru
         
        Join Date: Feb 2014
        Posts: 45
        I almost always prefer the subs, because I don't really like how the dub voices sound and because the subs seem to fit better in my opinion. I also dislike most dubs because the dub pronunciations of Japanese names are often weird sounding, maybe wrong.
        Reply With Quote
          #33    
        Old March 16th, 2014 (12:31 AM).
        Netto Azure's Avatar
        Netto Azure Netto Azure is offline
        Elliot Craig
        • Gold Tier
         
        Join Date: May 2008
        Location: Thors Academy, Erebonian Empire
        Age: 24
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Brave
        Posts: 9,550
        Subs. Its a result of my childhood being immersed in Subs way back in 1999.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #34    
        Old March 16th, 2014 (6:27 AM).
        Kikaito plush's Avatar
        Kikaito plush Kikaito plush is offline
        Angeline plushxKikaito plush
           
          Join Date: Dec 2009
          Location: plushies resort
          Age: 24
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Naughty
          Posts: 5,302
          since I watched K-on with subs I prefer sub to dubs now.
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #35    
          Old March 16th, 2014 (6:36 AM).
          Skystrike's Avatar
          Skystrike Skystrike is offline
          Dark Shadow
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Sep 2008
          Location: internet
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Quiet
          Posts: 1,534
          I prefer subs to dubs. At first, I was an all subs guy. (Reason: Digimon Adventure/Digimon Adventure Zero-Two and the way they were dubbed.) But then I was watching Hoshi no Kirby, which was never fully subbed, forcing me to watch its dub counterpart Kirby: Right Back At Ya!. So really it depends on the dub quality, but if I have a choice, I'll go to subs first.

          Of course this doesn't mean that I don't take a look at the dub. I like seeing the differences between the two.
          __________________

          I lack toast and am tolerant
          Reply With Quote
            #36    
          Old March 16th, 2014 (6:49 AM).
          Germaniac's Avatar
          Germaniac Germaniac is offline
          Victoria Concordia Crescit
             
            Join Date: May 2009
            Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
            Age: 18
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Relaxed
            Posts: 565
            Sub, most of the times original voices are better, also influenced by the fact that my english listening is pretty bad
            __________________
            Reply With Quote
              #37    
            Old March 16th, 2014 (7:37 AM).
            Alternative's Avatar
            Alternative Alternative is offline
            stalwart command
            • Crystal Tier
             
            Join Date: Jan 2009
            Location: Adelaide, Australia
            Age: 24
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Impish
            Posts: 4,268
            I'm going to admit, dubs are seriously my guilty pleasure. There is nothing more I enjoy than listening to a good dub (or cringing to a bad one haha). I mean there are some where I do prefer subs but if I ever get the chance to listen to a dub I'm going to take it. Buying DVDs, or just watching funimation previews on Youtube, whatever it is I really do enjoy some dubs of things. If there's one thing that stands out for me personally, Fairy Tail is something I enjoy for the dub. I love Todd Haberkorn's rendition of Natsu Dragneel it's simply wonderful.

            Personally I think it's easier to point out a male voice actor over a female, but it depends on if the voice is incredibly prominent or not. Erin Fitzgerald is one voice I can pick out when I'm watching (or playing) something, because it's so distinguishable from other voice actors. But at the same time she's one of those people who have such a distinguishable voice that it's hard to see her voicing other roles, which I think is a little bit of a problem in the field personally. Vic Mignogna is another one from the male side, where one of his roles is quite prominent -- even fantastic in one series, but you hear that voice in something else and it doesn't sound too good, like it fits the character all too well. I know he's quite popular in funimation productions, you hear him in Fullmetal Alchemist, Ouran Highschool Host Club, Soul Eater and so forth, where it sounds the same a lot of the time. I suppose with video games it's a little harder to tell the difference but anime it's almost always easy to tell the voice. Personally my favourites in the field of voice acting are Kaiji Tang, Liam O'brien, Amanda C. Miller, and Yuri Lowenthal on the english side of things. You could also possibly say that Sean Chiplock is another one I like, but it seems like you are a bad person if you like him because of his personal life or something. :/ On the japanese side my favourites will always be Tomokazu Sugita, Hidenobu Kiuchi and Yoshimasa Hosoya (I found out he voices a lot of my favourites in series' haha). I don't think I have favourites in the female side of things, I can't find them appealing or distinguishable at all.

            What a tangent I went on ahahaha.
            But my point is that I do see the appeal in dubs, but I'm more of a sub man. If I enjoy a dub I can watch it or if I bought a DVD I'll watch the dub. Right now sorta on and off I'm watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Kids on the Slope in their english glory, both do have good and bad parts to them.
            Reply With Quote
              #38    
            Old March 20th, 2014 (12:22 AM).
            Aurelion Sol's Avatar
            Aurelion Sol Aurelion Sol is offline
            Last Shadow
               
              Join Date: Aug 2013
              Age: 27
              Gender: Other
              Nature: Docile
              Posts: 1,427
              So suddenly when your favorite anime shows new episode or series. Do you go straight and watch the sub or just wait for a day or two for favorites to be dubbed in English?

              For me; I rather stick to dub because most SUB isn't accurately translated than dub.
              __________________

              ♥Pair: Starrywindy♥ Travel Log
              Reply With Quote
                #39    
              Old March 20th, 2014 (1:34 AM).
              FrostbitePC's Avatar
              FrostbitePC FrostbitePC is offline
              Frostbite
                 
                Join Date: Jan 2013
                Location: Jakarta
                Age: 17
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Naive
                Posts: 70
                I prefer sub. Yeah dub kinda ruin the anime. But, i like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood dubbed
                __________________
                Recently Finished Game : Pokemon Light Platinum
                Currently Playing : Pokemon Glazed
                Challenges : Pokemon Emerald Randomizer Nuzlocke (7/8)
                Reply With Quote
                  #40    
                Old March 20th, 2014 (6:13 AM).
                Aurelion Sol's Avatar
                Aurelion Sol Aurelion Sol is offline
                Last Shadow
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2013
                  Age: 27
                  Gender: Other
                  Nature: Docile
                  Posts: 1,427
                  I was talking how in general dubbed anime going to be aired or how bad dub translates are
                  Reply With Quote
                    #41    
                  Old March 21st, 2014 (12:51 AM).
                  Satoshi Ookami's Avatar
                  Satoshi Ookami Satoshi Ookami is offline
                  Memento Mori
                  • Gold Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Jul 2008
                  Location: Abyss of Time, Great Seal
                  Age: 24
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Calm
                  Posts: 14,477
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Jrrkein View Post
                  I was talking how in general dubbed anime going to be aired or how bad dub translates are
                  Oh...kay... you say that dubs are bad "translates" (that is translated?) and you prefer them because they are more accurate than subs?
                  So in your opinion bad translations are more accurate than subs?
                  __________________
                  ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack.

                  Anime List | PSN Trophy List
                  Reply With Quote
                    #42    
                  Old March 21st, 2014 (4:54 AM).
                  Raine's Avatar
                  Raine Raine is offline
                  • Silver Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Jan 2014
                  Location: Ontario, Canada
                  Age: 23
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Gentle
                  Posts: 3,710
                  Subbed and dubbed can essentially be thought of as similar, except the latter are probably seen more as "official" as they are actually created by companies. Subbed on the other hand are simply volunteers giving their time and expertise in the Japanese language to give those who are not adept in the language to watch. I wouldn't say either of them are more accurate than the other because it depends on who's the translator and their Japanese level \: That's just my opinion though, but I definitely prefer subbed because Japanese voices contain more emotion than English ones.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #43    
                  Old March 22nd, 2014 (1:21 AM).
                  Satoshi Ookami's Avatar
                  Satoshi Ookami Satoshi Ookami is offline
                  Memento Mori
                  • Gold Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Jul 2008
                  Location: Abyss of Time, Great Seal
                  Age: 24
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Calm
                  Posts: 14,477
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Vanille Sky View Post
                  Subbed and dubbed can essentially be thought of as similar, except the latter are probably seen more as "official" as they are actually created by companies. Subbed on the other hand are simply volunteers giving their time and expertise in the Japanese language to give those who are not adept in the language to watch. I wouldn't say either of them are more accurate than the other because it depends on who's the translator and their Japanese level \: That's just my opinion though, but I definitely prefer subbed because Japanese voices contain more emotion than English ones.
                  Well... Crunchyroll, Funanimation, etc... subs are as official as dubs now =) (not that quality of their subs is good, though xD)
                  Reply With Quote
                    #44    
                  Old March 22nd, 2014 (8:10 AM).
                  Raine's Avatar
                  Raine Raine is offline
                  • Silver Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Jan 2014
                  Location: Ontario, Canada
                  Age: 23
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Gentle
                  Posts: 3,710
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Satoshi Ookami View Post
                  Well... Crunchyroll, Funanimation, etc... subs are as official as dubs now =) (not that quality of their subs is good, though xD)
                  Well there's that, but personally, when I think of subbed I think of those groups who are generally made of enthusiasts coming together and volunteering their time in working on series :P
                  Reply With Quote
                    #45    
                  Old March 22nd, 2014 (4:24 PM).
                  Homura Akemi's Avatar
                  Homura Akemi Homura Akemi is offline
                  time is f o r e v e r~
                     
                    Join Date: Oct 2013
                    Location: 'Straya
                    Age: 19
                    Gender: Female
                    Nature: Quiet
                    Posts: 404
                    I prefer subs a lot more than dubs...dubs usually have horrid voice acting, and the translations usually get messed up.

                    That, and I like Japanese voices.
                    __________________

                    "2014 sometimes leads to even better April Fools' jokes."
                    VM | PM | Gensokyo | Previously | Theme | Fan Club | | | | | |
                    Reply With Quote
                      #46    
                    Old March 28th, 2014 (9:12 AM).
                    Eevee's Avatar
                    Eevee Eevee is offline
                    ╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
                       
                      Join Date: Sep 2013
                      Location: Canada
                      Age: 23
                      Gender: Female
                      Nature: Jolly
                      Posts: 681
                      I definitely watch it subbed first. I prefer watching anime subbed for many reasons.

                      I like the "Japanese feel" the shows give off and I feel like that gets burnt to the ground when it's dubbed to English.

                      The second reason is that usually the English dubbed voices are off. Either they sound way too old/young for the character they're supposed to be playing or they overact/underact so bad it's awkward to listen to. I haven't watched one anime (besides Pupa) where the Japanese voice actors/actresses are bad at their roles. They're always spot on.

                      But that being said, not all dubs are bad. Most are meh, some are disgusting and a few are actually good.

                      The only anime so far that I prefer dubbed is Panty and Stocking and the only reason is because I love how rude it is in the dubbed version compared to the Japanese version.

                      Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi Suzumiya are both fantastic dubs but their Japanese counterparts are fantastic too. xD

                      Any English dub that censors things, renames characters or changes things are automatically a bad dub in my eyes. If you need to change things in order to dub it, dub something else. Please don't ruin the original story.
                      __________________


                      Reply With Quote
                        #47    
                      Old March 28th, 2014 (9:21 AM).
                      Alfieri's Avatar
                      Alfieri Alfieri is online now
                      aka Ronnie
                      • Silver Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Mar 2014
                      Location: New York City
                      Age: 21
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Calm
                      Posts: 2,783
                      I prefer watching my anime in english dub. It's easier for me to watch because I like to move around a lot while watching a show and would prefer to hear the character's voices as I exit in and out of the room. With subs, I'm forced to sit down and ready every line of text and I'm too busy to really do that because I have several distractions lol. Plus if I really wanted to sit down and read every line of text, I would read the manga instead. However if I hear of a really good anime and there is no dub available for whatever reason, I'll consider the sub. Much like with Attack on Titan or the last couple of episodes of Fairy Tail.
                      __________________
                      Reply With Quote
                        #48    
                      Old March 29th, 2014 (12:54 AM).
                      Pokemon_Fangirl's Avatar
                      Pokemon_Fangirl Pokemon_Fangirl is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Nov 2013
                        Age: 28
                        Gender: Female
                        Posts: 38
                        I like both, but I try to watch the dub first because sometimes I just don't feel like reading subtitles. I think the reason dubs get a bad reputation even now is because early dubs were heavily censored and given bad voice direction to the point it feels like a different show, which can be a bit insulting to the original staff who put a lot of work into their series and to people who would rather hear the English voices(some people just can't handle the highness of most Japanese voices. It even took me a while to get used to them). So, I can understand some of the sub fans POV; but the fact that their's still a "war" going on is ridiculous and a gets immature after a while; it's because of things like this I still try to keep a certain level of distance in the community.
                        Reply With Quote
                          #49    
                        Old March 30th, 2014 (2:47 AM).
                        kuzronk's Avatar
                        kuzronk kuzronk is offline
                        m a g i c a l p r i n c e s s
                        • Crystal Tier
                         
                        Join Date: Mar 2013
                        Location: Australia
                        Gender: Female
                        Posts: 1,456
                        Sub. Most dubs sound awful (Clannad is the worst imo).
                        __________________


                        VMPMMusicMoviesBooksTheme
                        Reply With Quote
                          #50    
                        Old March 31st, 2014 (9:19 PM).
                        aeternum's Avatar
                        aeternum aeternum is offline
                        Barely Living
                        • Crystal Tier
                         
                        Join Date: Mar 2013
                        Location: Indiana
                        Nature: Naughty
                        Posts: 11,087
                        I prefer subbed over dubbed because I dislike the people they choose to do voice overs for english dubs. The only time I watch dubbed versions is if its a movie. Like right now I'm waiting for the new DBZ movie to come out dubbed so I don't miss any action while I'm reading.
                        __________________
                        Reply With Quote
                        Reply
                        Quick Reply

                        Sponsored Links
                        Thread Tools

                        Posting Rules
                        You may not post new threads
                        You may not post replies
                        You may not post attachments
                        You may not edit your posts

                        BB code is On
                        Smilies are On
                        [IMG] code is On
                        HTML code is Off

                        Forum Jump


                        All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:40 AM.