The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: General Discussions Pokémon Trading Card Game
XY Set Impressions!

Pokémon Trading Card Game The forum for the Pokémon TCG and Pokemon TCG Online. Post your deck to get rated, rate other decks, ask questions, talk about strategy, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old February 4th, 2014 (9:16 PM).
donavannj's Avatar
donavannj donavannj is offline
  • Moderator
  • Crystal Tier
TCGO: donavannj
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,397
Okay, since XY was officially released today, I'd like to hear people's impressions on the set, since I'm sure a few of you have bought packs already.

What did you think of the EX cards? How do the odds of pulling rares seem to be? Anything seem particularly common from packs in your area? Anything seem to play as well as you'd like? Anything surprise you?
__________________

A Pokemon that is amazing.
Support Bulbasaur because Charmander and Squirtle both suck!
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #2    
Old February 4th, 2014 (10:14 PM).
Profen's Avatar
Profen Profen is offline
    TCGO:
     
    Join Date: May 2013
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 431
    It says everywhere that its released tomorrow not today. Anyway i dont really like this set that much. I'm only thinking of buying a box just to collect the fairy stables that im going to need later on if i do ever run a fairy deck. That and Muscle BAND! I will have you...
    Reply With Quote
      #3    
    Old February 5th, 2014 (8:57 AM).
    DeekBoy's Avatar
    DeekBoy DeekBoy is offline
    Go Kick Rocks
      TCGO:
       
      Join Date: Feb 2014
      Location: California
      Age: 28
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 42
      I am looking forward to this set and can't wait to get my box today. Growing up I was never fortunate enough to get a box. This will be my first booster box and I am extremely excited. The last set I collected was the Gym series.
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #4    
      Old February 5th, 2014 (10:10 AM).
      donavannj's Avatar
      donavannj donavannj is offline
      • Moderator
      • Crystal Tier
      TCGO: donavannj
       
      Join Date: Mar 2005
      Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 20,397
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Profen View Post
      It says everywhere that its released tomorrow not today. Anyway i dont really like this set that much. I'm only thinking of buying a box just to collect the fairy stables that im going to need later on if i do ever run a fairy deck. That and Muscle BAND! I will have you...
      Whoops, my bad. I thought the 5th was a Tuesday for some reason.

      I get the feeling this, like many base sets before it, will just be a teaser of the potential to come and all the sets afterward will change competitive play much more dramatically.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by DeekBoy View Post
      I am looking forward to this set and can't wait to get my box today. Growing up I was never fortunate enough to get a box. This will be my first booster box and I am extremely excited. The last set I collected was the Gym series.
      Wow, it seems you've been out of the collecting side for a long time! I think you'll find the increased rate of shiny things quite enjoyable in your XY booster box!
      __________________

      A Pokemon that is amazing.
      Support Bulbasaur because Charmander and Squirtle both suck!
      Reply With Quote
        #5    
      Old February 5th, 2014 (10:20 AM).
      DeekBoy's Avatar
      DeekBoy DeekBoy is offline
      Go Kick Rocks
        TCGO:
         
        Join Date: Feb 2014
        Location: California
        Age: 28
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 42
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
        Whoops, my bad. I thought the 5th was a Tuesday for some reason.

        I get the feeling this, like many base sets before it, will just be a teaser of the potential to come and all the sets afterward will change competitive play much more dramatically.



        Wow, it seems you've been out of the collecting side for a long time! I think you'll find the increased rate of shiny things quite enjoyable in your XY booster box!
        Before this year I didn't care much for all the newer Pokemon and only loved the only gen1 but with X and Y opening my mind up to new Pokemon I have gone back to the cards as well. Can't have enough Pokemon these days
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #6    
        Old February 20th, 2014 (1:04 PM).
        donavannj's Avatar
        donavannj donavannj is offline
        • Moderator
        • Crystal Tier
        TCGO: donavannj
         
        Join Date: Mar 2005
        Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
        Age: 26
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 20,397
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by DeekBoy View Post
        Before this year I didn't care much for all the newer Pokemon and only loved the only gen1 but with X and Y opening my mind up to new Pokemon I have gone back to the cards as well. Can't have enough Pokemon these days :P
        How was your box?

        I've personally not been impressed with the set's foils and my poor pull rates.

        I do like the trainers quite a bit, though.
        __________________

        A Pokemon that is amazing.
        Support Bulbasaur because Charmander and Squirtle both suck!
        Reply With Quote
          #7    
        Old February 21st, 2014 (3:22 AM).
        Profen's Avatar
        Profen Profen is offline
          TCGO:
           
          Join Date: May 2013
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 431
          I feel like the pull rates were average for pokemon. LT was just crazy.

          1 FA and 2 EXs is usual. Though i did get a PLB set with like 3 FA and 2 RA Ex.
          Reply With Quote
            #8    
          Old February 21st, 2014 (9:04 AM).
          donavannj's Avatar
          donavannj donavannj is offline
          • Moderator
          • Crystal Tier
          TCGO: donavannj
           
          Join Date: Mar 2005
          Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
          Age: 26
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 20,397
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Profen View Post
          I feel like the pull rates were average for pokemon. LT was just crazy.

          1 FA and 2 EXs is usual. Though i did get a PLB set with like 3 FA and 2 RA Ex.
          ... maybe I should just buy a full booster box and skip the random chance nonsense of the individually blistered boosters from Target.

          Notice any immediate impacts the set has made on competitive play outside of EvoSoda?
          __________________

          A Pokemon that is amazing.
          Support Bulbasaur because Charmander and Squirtle both suck!
          Reply With Quote
            #9    
          Old February 21st, 2014 (10:32 AM).
          Maserati777's Avatar
          Maserati777 Maserati777 is offline
            TCGO:
             
            Join Date: Jul 2013
            Age: 27
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 1,133
            I really do not like the holos, I definitely think the Black and White design is better. To me they look like those promos you get from Target where they packaged it themselves and sell it for 5 dollars.
            Reply With Quote
              #10    
            Old February 21st, 2014 (11:40 AM).
            donavannj's Avatar
            donavannj donavannj is offline
            • Moderator
            • Crystal Tier
            TCGO: donavannj
             
            Join Date: Mar 2005
            Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
            Age: 26
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 20,397
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Maserati777 View Post
            I really do not like the holos, I definitely think the Black and White design is better. To me they look like those promos you get from Target where they packaged it themselves and sell it for 5 dollars.
            You mean the officially packaged blister packs with the promos in them? I don't think the new foil really resembles those at all. Most of those used the older starry foil pattern and the shattered glass pattern. The XY one is much more bland than those, in my opinion. It reminds me more of the foil on "Super Rare" cards from Yu-Gi-Oh!, such as the card Penguin Soldier.
            __________________

            A Pokemon that is amazing.
            Support Bulbasaur because Charmander and Squirtle both suck!
            Reply With Quote
              #11    
            Old February 21st, 2014 (12:22 PM).
            Sydian's Avatar
            Sydian Sydian is offline
            ≫ the emperor ≪
            • Super Moderator
            • Crystal Tier
            TCGO:
             
            Join Date: Feb 2008
            Location: Alabama
            Age: 24
            Nature: Timid
            Posts: 31,999
            I don't like this set at all. I'm feeling even worse about it than I felt about Black/White and Diamond/Pearl. I generally don't like the first sets in new generations, though. This just continues the trend. I really hate the new holo. I thought it couldn't get worse than the horizontal holo, but no, they found a way. At least the horizontal holo got better as the sets progressed, and I'm hoping that's the same with the XY sets to come, or at least more fitting backgrounds to work well with the holo. That was BW's problem I thought.

            The artwork has been nice, though. I'll give it that. It's got a great mix of cute, detailed, and interesting art. As for pull rates though, they're terrible. My friend got a booster box and didn't get anything that great. I've opened at least 10 packs and haven't gotten anything to write home about either. Not even one holo. I'd say the holo rare rates are down for this set. I don't know many that are having good luck with this set like with some of the BW sets. And I'm keeping up with a good number of collectors. I've never gone this long without a holo or ex of some kind. Just strange.

            Overall, this isn't a set I'm interested in at all and I'm actually a bit disappointed. I don't know how it stands competitively, but I'm on a collective and interest standpoint, lol.
            __________________
            ≫ this is my other self!
            persona | gun
            Reply With Quote
              #12    
            Old February 21st, 2014 (3:12 PM).
            Profen's Avatar
            Profen Profen is offline
              TCGO:
               
              Join Date: May 2013
              Gender: Male
              Posts: 431
              As far as impact of this set. I feel like Evosoda isnt a huge thing. Its only okay imo. As long as stuff like Level, Ultra Ball or something like that exists. Those will always be better. Evosoda is just so specific that i feel like its just a bad card.

              Things that did make an impact are stuff like Muscle Band and Yevltal. Some minor things like Trevenant, Fairies, and Rainbow Energy are also have an impact on the Meta. Though not as much as the first 2.

              Yevltal is so broken. That one card has changed dark so much. They went from being heavily focused on defense without any huge attackers. But now with Yevltal Ex, they can drop stuff like Sableye and go all out offensive. It's first attack always does like 60 damage at the very least for 2 energy.

              Muscle band changes things so much. 20 more damage for any pokemon is huge. Plasma might be a huge threat again with that card. Slap that on Lugia and you have potential to 1HKO most Exs with it and Deoxys. With thundurus hitting for 50 without Deoxys is also pretty crazy, it will probably be hitting 80 damage with its first attack for only 1 energy while charging your bench. Also with Yevltal being weak to Electric, Thundurus will be more heavily played to counter it. 160 (3 deoxys and 1 muscle band) for 1 energy is pretty crazy. Especially since Yevtal's damage depends on the defending pokemons energy. It also gives them reason to play 4 Deoxys to attempt OHKOs.
              Reply With Quote
                #13    
              Old February 23rd, 2014 (9:56 PM).
              donavannj's Avatar
              donavannj donavannj is offline
              • Moderator
              • Crystal Tier
              TCGO: donavannj
               
              Join Date: Mar 2005
              Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
              Age: 26
              Gender: Male
              Posts: 20,397
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Profen View Post
              As far as impact of this set. I feel like Evosoda isnt a huge thing. Its only okay imo. As long as stuff like Level, Ultra Ball or something like that exists. Those will always be better. Evosoda is just so specific that i feel like its just a bad card.

              Things that did make an impact are stuff like Muscle Band and Yevltal. Some minor things like Trevenant, Fairies, and Rainbow Energy are also have an impact on the Meta. Though not as much as the first 2.

              Yevltal is so broken. That one card has changed dark so much. They went from being heavily focused on defense without any huge attackers. But now with Yevltal Ex, they can drop stuff like Sableye and go all out offensive. It's first attack always does like 60 damage at the very least for 2 energy.

              Muscle band changes things so much. 20 more damage for any pokemon is huge. Plasma might be a huge threat again with that card. Slap that on Lugia and you have potential to 1HKO most Exs with it and Deoxys. With thundurus hitting for 50 without Deoxys is also pretty crazy, it will probably be hitting 80 damage with its first attack for only 1 energy while charging your bench. Also with Yevltal being weak to Electric, Thundurus will be more heavily played to counter it. 160 (3 deoxys and 1 muscle band) for 1 energy is pretty crazy. Especially since Yevtal's damage depends on the defending pokemons energy. It also gives them reason to play 4 Deoxys to attempt OHKOs.
              After getting a look at Yvetal, holy crap is it broken! Dark really didn't need any help. :(

              As for Muscle Band, +20 damage without having to give up an extra prize is amazing.
              __________________

              A Pokemon that is amazing.
              Support Bulbasaur because Charmander and Squirtle both suck!
              Reply With Quote
                #14    
              Old February 25th, 2014 (12:01 AM).
              Deivii's Avatar
              Deivii Deivii is offline
                TCGO:
                 
                Join Date: Oct 2013
                Gender: Male
                Posts: 29
                I'm really enjoying this expansion set. A ton of good cards. I already put 4 Team Flare Grunts into my deck, haha.
                __________________



                FC: 4484-9110-5692
                Reply With Quote
                  #15    
                Old February 25th, 2014 (1:32 AM).
                Profen's Avatar
                Profen Profen is offline
                  TCGO:
                   
                  Join Date: May 2013
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 431
                  I dont think team flare grunt is worth 4 slots in a deck. Maybe 1 or 2 of. But thats at most.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #16    
                  Old February 25th, 2014 (7:32 AM).
                  donavannj's Avatar
                  donavannj donavannj is offline
                  • Moderator
                  • Crystal Tier
                  TCGO: donavannj
                   
                  Join Date: Mar 2005
                  Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
                  Age: 26
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 20,397
                  Probably not worth 4, but if it were an Item it'd be so very broken like Energy Removal was back in the day.

                  Might be worth 4 copies of in decks that focus entirely on disruption, though.
                  __________________

                  A Pokemon that is amazing.
                  Support Bulbasaur because Charmander and Squirtle both suck!
                  Reply With Quote
                    #17    
                  Old February 25th, 2014 (12:15 PM).
                  Deivii's Avatar
                  Deivii Deivii is offline
                    TCGO:
                     
                    Join Date: Oct 2013
                    Gender: Male
                    Posts: 29
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
                    Probably not worth 4, but if it were an Item it'd be so very broken like Energy Removal was back in the day.

                    Might be worth 4 copies of in decks that focus entirely on disruption, though.
                    Yeah, my decks about disruption. Funnest way for me to play.
                    __________________



                    FC: 4484-9110-5692
                    Reply With Quote
                      #18    
                    Old February 25th, 2014 (12:20 PM).
                    donavannj's Avatar
                    donavannj donavannj is offline
                    • Moderator
                    • Crystal Tier
                    TCGO: donavannj
                     
                    Join Date: Mar 2005
                    Location: 'cause it get cold like Minnesota
                    Age: 26
                    Gender: Male
                    Posts: 20,397
                    N is probably better overall for disruption decks, but what really matters is keeping Garbodor alive in competitive disruption decks. Team Flare Grunt is definitely not the best Trainer in the set, though. That belongs to Muscle Band and Professor Sycamore.
                    __________________

                    A Pokemon that is amazing.
                    Support Bulbasaur because Charmander and Squirtle both suck!
                    Reply With Quote
                    Reply
                    Quick Reply

                    Sponsored Links
                    Thread Tools

                    Posting Rules
                    You may not post new threads
                    You may not post replies
                    You may not post attachments
                    You may not edit your posts

                    BB code is On
                    Smilies are On
                    [IMG] code is On
                    HTML code is Off

                    Forum Jump


                    All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:31 PM.