Battling & Team Building The forum designed for all of your competitive Pokémon battling needs! Here you can battle, discuss, participate in events, receive help on your team, and much more!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old March 1st, 2014 (5:57 PM).
Zerrah.'s Avatar
Zerrah. Zerrah. is offline
Mauling with Ursaring
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Age: 24
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Relaxed
    Posts: 250
    I understand what you guys are saying, but I think your thinking is slightly skewed. The tiers are mostly determined with how often something is used, barring when something is banned for being too powerful. When you're playing in OU for example, you can use basically anything in OU or lower. You are NOT by any means limited to using only OU Pokemon. I personally love to use Quagsire, I don't care if he was considered NU.

    I personally agree with most of Smogon's decisions. Blaziken and Lucario were already really good on their own and did not need the extra power from the mega stones, despite the lack of held item. I find it unfortunate that Kangha's mega made it so broken, as it is almost unplayable without it. The tier system allows people to play Pokemon how they want to play it. Want to have a team full of the strongest legendaries? There's a tier for that.

    That being said, if you don't like Smogon's tiering, simply don't abide by it when playing in Battle Spot or sanctioned tournaments. But if you want to partake in tournaments through forums and Pokemon Showdown, you will have to abide by their rules, or risk not playing there at all.
    __________________


    Friend Safari and DW Pokemon - A Gen VI Trade Thread

    3DS Friend Code:
    3754 7177 6489
    Brittany
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #27    
    Old March 1st, 2014 (6:01 PM).
    Sean's Avatar
    Sean Sean is offline
    Prettier than you
    • Crystal Tier
     
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: Ireland
    Age: 22
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 237
    They don't just ban pokemon for the laugh of it from OU.

    They ban it because it has such a huge impact on the competitive play aspect of pokemon. If you don't follow bans and so on, then most likely you're a person who plays casually. In that case, go ahead and use any pokemon.

    But it really isn't enjoyable at all when any pokemon is allowed, it creates an atmosphere of overpowered and predictable pokemon will be used constantly that have an alarming small amount of counters to them. Banning pokemon is needed in order for the metagame to be balanced and enjoyable to a sense, instead of having a complete dominant factor.

    So in the case for megaevolutions, the ones currently banned simply have too strong abilities/too strong bases. Mega Gengar was ridiculous, it's ability enabled it to switch on anything and keep them trapped and there is NOTHING you can do about that whatsoever. The fact it had a huge special attack/speed base too enabled it to outspeed/kill anything. That's why it got banned. Mega Kani got banned because having 2 sucker punches is a bit... over the top coupled with a sword dance set up.
    Reply With Quote
      #28    
    Old March 1st, 2014 (6:54 PM).
    Keiran's Avatar
    Keiran Keiran is offline
    Fight Off Your Demons
    • Moderator
     
    Join Date: Apr 2011
    Location: New Jersey
    Age: 25
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Careful
    Posts: 2,431
    What you're asking for, OP, is called Battle Spot.
    __________________
    Mod of Trade Corner| Pair | Trainer Information

    When kings upon the main have clung to pride
    And held themselves as masters of the sea
    I've held them down beneath the crushing tide
    Till they have learned that no one masters me
    Reply With Quote
      #29    
    Old March 1st, 2014 (7:27 PM).
    scprepschool's Avatar
    scprepschool scprepschool is offline
       
      Join Date: Mar 2009
      Location: Mo f*%#$'n Pallet Town
      Gender:
      Nature: Jolly
      Posts: 412
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
      It's interesting how people keep defending the bans by saying it keeps people from using the same pokemon over and over again, but if you look at the tries people ALREADY do that because if they're in this teir, they can't use that, that, that or that, so that ONLY leaves this or this. Even the smogon movesets primarily list moves to counter SPECIFICALLY NAMED pokemon rather than pokemon types and list the counters againas specifically named pokemon rather than types because of the tries, there's only specific pokemon you can use in specific teirs. Not to mention my endless rants against their idiotic bans (yes, idiotic!) Blaziken gets banned because of speed boost? I forgot that the faster it gets, the more moves per turn it gets. Oh wait! It doesn't! If you're slower than Blaziken when the battle starts, Blaziken gets NO benefit whatsoever. Then there's the stupid double team ban. Oh no! A move that has dozens of counter moves, several abilities and even an item that counters it, THERE'S NO DEFENCE AGAINST THIS SUPER MOVE! Better ban it from use! I'm just waiting for them to ban Nuzzle. (A move that damages AND paralyzed?! Holy crap!! Screw Arceus, pichu will destroy everything in existence! ;-) )

      There's the lame justification of "evasion makes the game based on luck rather than skill!" Which could be said about EVERY move. If you're prepared, evasion boosts mean nothing. But everyone is smogon apparently loses both bladder and bowel control at the thought of it.

      A HUGE thing that the teirs have produced is interchangeable movesets. You look (objectively) at a crap ton of the movesets are totally interchangeable. If it's a special sweeper, it has thunderbolt, flamethrower, ice beam, psychic. If it's a physical sweeper it has earthquake, Rock slide, close combat, flare blitz, annoyed have toxic, substitute, confuse ray, etc, etc. those aren't the actual movesets, but my point has been made that you can defend the tiers by saying that it prevents the same pokemon from being used over and over, but it really doesn't. It in fact not only makes the same pokemon used over and over, it makes the same movesets used over and over. It genuinely won't take you very long looking at smogon movesets to see movesets that don't even take the type consideration of the user into account, let alone ones that make no use of it's natural stat spread or ability. (There's plenty that DO, don't get me wrong, but there's stills significant number that don't)

      Basically, everything is an interchangeable physical sweeper, or a special sweeper, or an annoyer, or a wall, or a baton passer, or a healer. The only thing that prevents identical movesets on everything in the same category is that not everything can learn everything. And on top of that, there's the hugely underused class if pokemon that are obviously meant to be evaders. Just because smogon wets themselves in terror at the thought of a surskit with double team, they simply ban the move altogether rather than learning how to combat it. There's many pokemon that have good attacks and speed but terrible HP and defenses. Obviously those ones are not made to fit into the narrow category smogon sets up, but rather their own class where they hit hard and just try not to get hit back in return by slinking into the shadows. But because smogon thinks every battle should be like the British army where everyone just stands there firing at each other no one learns new, unique strategies, no one learns how to use evaders and therefore never learns how to counter them, so the meta game stagnates because no one is trying creative, amazing, wonderful strategies, they just make all the pokemon fit into 1 of 5 categories and try to shoehorn similar movesets onto everything in that category.

      I too am a strong believer in everything has a counter battling, because everything does. The teirs make everyone use the same pokemon over and over, but allowing anyone to use anything does quite the opposite. Sure at first people will keep using the most powerful same pokemon over and over, but then people will figure out counters to those, and the. More people will use those and someone else will figure out counters to those and so on and so on. Just because today everyone is using mega kangaskhan, for example, doesn't mean people won't figure out counters to those, have the counter on all their teams then very quickly no one is using kangaskhan but rather the counter, and so on and so on, and the game will evolve from there. Removing the incentive to think for yourself by banning pokemon, moves and strategies doesn't help anyone. It in fact reduces imaginative battlers and makes them unable to function if anyone else tries anything other than the smogon pre approved movesets.
      But pokemon competitive is luck based... what you switch in on, the abilities one your facing might have, the idea you might be facing a sandstorm team and be facing a rapid spin excadrill... baton passers, sub/ dancers.... yeah these are all strategy based... butttt what good is a strategy if I out speed and crit out of luck. There isn't really any skill in pkmn, everyone can have what everyone else has and then its up to speed and crits, because the thing about pkmn is everything can be out sped and every wall can have a hole punched through it... the bans are just there to try to keep ppl who wanna explore their luck and tread dangerously without having to worry about completely being dominated, at which point strategy nor luck play a role... without the tiering system everyone would be using a team like
      Mew two, deoxys, rayquaza, w kyurem, xerneas, yveltal
      So what then when some guy wants to take his favorite aesthetically pleasing pkmn to battle... he gets wasted and melted through even with his best strategy...
      __________________
      Friend Code XY: 3625-8233-2439
      Safari type: fairy: togepi, jigglypuff,floette

      you gotta know that I adore you
      Reply With Quote
        #30    
      Old March 1st, 2014 (7:30 PM).
      scprepschool's Avatar
      scprepschool scprepschool is offline
         
        Join Date: Mar 2009
        Location: Mo f*%#$'n Pallet Town
        Gender:
        Nature: Jolly
        Posts: 412
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Zerrah. View Post
        I understand what you guys are saying, but I think your thinking is slightly skewed. The tiers are mostly determined with how often something is used, barring when something is banned for being too powerful. When you're playing in OU for example, you can use basically anything in OU or lower. You are NOT by any means limited to using only OU Pokemon. I personally love to use Quagsire, I don't care if he was considered NU.

        I personally agree with most of Smogon's decisions. Blaziken and Lucario were already really good on their own and did not need the extra power from the mega stones, despite the lack of held item. I find it unfortunate that Kangha's mega made it so broken, as it is almost unplayable without it. The tier system allows people to play Pokemon how they want to play it. Want to have a team full of the strongest legendaries? There's a tier for that.

        That being said, if you don't like Smogon's tiering, simply don't abide by it when playing in Battle Spot or sanctioned tournaments. But if you want to partake in tournaments through forums and Pokemon Showdown, you will have to abide by their rules, or risk not playing there at all.
        The UBER tier for pkmn who can be set up to be op. Countering any counters for them/ridicolous bst./ boosting to unreal stats ( protect/speed boost )
        __________________
        Friend Code XY: 3625-8233-2439
        Safari type: fairy: togepi, jigglypuff,floette

        you gotta know that I adore you
        Reply With Quote
          #31    
        Old March 2nd, 2014 (9:25 AM).
        SparksPKMN's Avatar
        SparksPKMN SparksPKMN is offline
           
          Join Date: Mar 2014
          Posts: 39
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by scprepschool View Post
          But pokemon competitive is luck based... what you switch in on, the abilities one your facing might have, the idea you might be facing a sandstorm team and be facing a rapid spin excadrill... baton passers, sub/ dancers.... yeah these are all strategy based... butttt what good is a strategy if I out speed and crit out of luck. There isn't really any skill in pkmn, everyone can have what everyone else has and then its up to speed and crits, because the thing about pkmn is everything can be out sped and every wall can have a hole punched through it... the bans are just there to try to keep ppl who wanna explore their luck and tread dangerously without having to worry about completely being dominated, at which point strategy nor luck play a role... without the tiering system everyone would be using a team like
          Mew two, deoxys, rayquaza, w kyurem, xerneas, yveltal
          So what then when some guy wants to take his favorite aesthetically pleasing pkmn to battle... he gets wasted and melted through even with his best strategy...
          All those Pokemon are banned for a reason, unlike Mega Blaziken, Kangaskhan and Gengar
          Reply With Quote
            #32    
          Old March 2nd, 2014 (10:13 AM).
          Nah's Avatar
          Nah Nah is online now
          • Moderator
           
          Join Date: Nov 2013
          Location: over there
          Age: 24
          Gender: Female
          Posts: 11,365
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by SparksPKMN View Post
          All those Pokemon are banned for a reason, unlike Mega Blaziken, Kangaskhan and Gengar
          Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar are banned for a reason. Whatchoo talkin' about?
          __________________
          NAH

          "Heh, I'm not scared of you!"

          D&DShop6th Gen
          Reply With Quote
            #33    
          Old March 2nd, 2014 (11:47 AM). Edited March 2nd, 2014 by scprepschool.
          scprepschool's Avatar
          scprepschool scprepschool is offline
             
            Join Date: Mar 2009
            Location: Mo f*%#$'n Pallet Town
            Gender:
            Nature: Jolly
            Posts: 412
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by SparksPKMN View Post
            All those Pokemon are banned for a reason, unlike Mega Blaziken, Kangaskhan and Gengar
            did you read my post?
            lol
            I was saying that people would be using teams of those pkmn left, righ,t and center if it wasn't for the tier system.
            I don't even understand how you are trying to reply to it to be honest, no offense.
            read the post though, I wasn't saying they shoudnt be banned
            lol
            EDIT:
            I think I get what you are saying. You seen the pkmn names and just went ahead and posted instead of replying to the actual content of my post, I was confused at first.
            As far as M gengar and M kangaskhan. There are ways to make them unstoppable. uhmmm Gliscor for example, he could boost M kangaskhan ridiculously, Switch in gliscor on something he can take two or three hits on sworddance and agility then baton pass to M kangaskhan, get off one power up punch from there and, viola, sweep an entire team, full of any pkmn from any tier pretty much.
            That's why its banned. It can be set up to be OP.
            __________________
            Friend Code XY: 3625-8233-2439
            Safari type: fairy: togepi, jigglypuff,floette

            you gotta know that I adore you
            Reply With Quote
              #34    
            Old March 2nd, 2014 (12:55 PM).
            Pryze's Avatar
            Pryze Pryze is offline
            Straight chillin
               
              Join Date: Nov 2012
              Location: Florida
              Age: 20
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Serious
              Posts: 110
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by SparksPKMN View Post
              So, some time ago Smogon banned Mega Blaziken (for Speed Boost), Mega Kangaskhan (for unstoppableness involving Power-Up Punch), and Mega Gengar (for general trickery) from their whatever-thing. I don't really care much about their whatever-thing, but this got my attention. Why? Because as a fan of Pokemon and my involvement with its meta. This type of thing has really has gotten on my nerves in the past (the banning of Soul Dew, for example) and I'm fearing an all-out ban of the use of Mega Stones online for X and Y.
              Don't worry, this won't be an essay, but an articulation of my opinion (a rant, you could say). The reason this bothers me so much is the fact that other video games let their metas evolve on their own. If Pokemon did this, it would be like this: Someone finds a really powerful Pokemon, and they use it in the meta. Some of the meta copies this person, while the rest look for a counter. As many start using this counter, people can predict that they will be facing this counter, and the meta flows like that accordingly. However, Smogon doesn't seem to want that to happen. What they are doing is trying to ban all Pokemon that take over the meta without letting it flow, thus creating a somewhat broken meta.

              I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I was kinda in a hurry in typing this because it's pretty long.
              The area in bold happened to catch my eye.

              Just curious, have you ever actually played against, say, a mega Blaziken in OU? A Pokemon with not-too-terrible bulk, base 160 attack, two base 120+ STAB moves, fantastic offensive coverage, the inability to get burned, and the ability to get to +1 Speed and +2 attack in one turn in horrifically broken, and doesn't really have an expansive list of counters, does it?

              +2 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 183-216 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

              (Aside from Giratina, who's in Ubers) Slowbro is the only Pokemon I've seen that isn't outright 2HKO'd or even OHKO'd by a +2 High Jump Kick. Are you honestly going to tell me that if I don't want to get swept by a Mega Blaziken, I have to run a max HP max Def Slowbro on every team I make? When it gets to that point, one would believe it fairly obvious that Blaziken deserves a ban.
              __________________
              Reply With Quote
                #35    
              Old March 2nd, 2014 (7:32 PM).
              Zeffy's Avatar
              Zeffy Zeffy is offline
              bowties are cool
              • Crystal Tier
               
              Join Date: Apr 2009
              Gender: Male
              Posts: 6,321
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
              It's interesting how people keep defending the bans by saying it keeps people from using the same pokemon over and over again, but if you look at the tries people ALREADY do that because if they're in this teir, they can't use that, that, that or that, so that ONLY leaves this or this. Even the smogon movesets primarily list moves to counter SPECIFICALLY NAMED pokemon rather than pokemon types and list the counters againas specifically named pokemon rather than types because of the tries, there's only specific pokemon you can use in specific teirs. Not to mention my endless rants against their idiotic bans (yes, idiotic)
              I was with you here until...

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
              Blaziken gets banned because of speed boost? I forgot that the faster it gets, the more moves per turn it gets. Oh wait! It doesn't! If you're slower than Blaziken when the battle starts, Blaziken gets NO benefit whatsoever.
              Obviously you have not played against a proper Blaziken. The user above pointed out the very reason why Blaziken has been banned so I'm not going to blab about that any longer.

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
              Then there's the stupid double team ban. Oh no! A move that has dozens of counter moves, several abilities and even an item that counters it, THERE'S NO DEFENCE AGAINST THIS SUPER MOVE! Better ban it from use! I'm just waiting for them to ban Nuzzle. (A move that damages AND paralyzed?! Holy crap!! Screw Arceus, pichu will destroy everything in existence! ;-) )

              There's the lame justification of "evasion makes the game based on luck rather than skill!" Which could be said about EVERY move. If you're prepared, evasion boosts mean nothing. But everyone is smogon apparently loses both bladder and bowel control at the thought of it.
              Now you're just being silly. Here was me thinking "hey a person who's dissing smogon with a proper argument, I better get me some of that!" but only end up being disappointed. The theory of probability dictates that for a number of random sequence of events, a pattern is eventually going to arise. Since evading is a probability, raising your evasion high enough is surely going to somewhat produce a pattern. While irrelevant in most cases, you actually don't need any prior knowledge of probability to abuse increasing evasion. It is similar to the premise of other stat-boosting moves--the higher the number, the more likelihood of success. Meaning, if you eventually raised your evasion high enough, you almost have direct control of the game, which even a well-prepared cannot come back from. That's no fun now, innit?

              You also raised a point about things that counter evasion abuse. I only have one thing to say to that: no. I mean, sure, you could just use moves that ignore evasion like Swift and Shock Wave, which would eventually lead to a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ metagame. Isn't that exactly the opposite of what you want to achieve?

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
              A HUGE thing that the teirs have produced is interchangeable movesets. You look (objectively) at a crap ton of the movesets are totally interchangeable. If it's a special sweeper, it has thunderbolt, flamethrower, ice beam, psychic. If it's a physical sweeper it has earthquake, Rock slide, close combat, flare blitz, annoyed have toxic, substitute, confuse ray, etc, etc. those aren't the actual movesets, but my point has been made that you can defend the tiers by saying that it prevents the same pokemon from being used over and over, but it really doesn't. It in fact not only makes the same pokemon used over and over, it makes the same movesets used over and over. It genuinely won't take you very long looking at smogon movesets to see movesets that don't even take the type consideration of the user into account, let alone ones that make no use of it's natural stat spread or ability. (There's plenty that DO, don't get me wrong, but there's stills significant number that don't)

              Basically, everything is an interchangeable physical sweeper, or a special sweeper, or an annoyer, or a wall, or a baton passer, or a healer. The only thing that prevents identical movesets on everything in the same category is that not everything can learn everything. And on top of that, there's the hugely underused class if pokemon that are obviously meant to be evaders. Just because smogon wets themselves in terror at the thought of a surskit with double team, they simply ban the move altogether rather than learning how to combat it. There's many pokemon that have good attacks and speed but terrible HP and defenses. Obviously those ones are not made to fit into the narrow category smogon sets up, but rather their own class where they hit hard and just try not to get hit back in return by slinking into the shadows. But because smogon thinks every battle should be like the British army where everyone just stands there firing at each other no one learns new, unique strategies, no one learns how to use evaders and therefore never learns how to counter them, so the meta game stagnates because no one is trying creative, amazing, wonderful strategies, they just make all the pokemon fit into 1 of 5 categories and try to shoehorn similar movesets onto everything in that category.
              tl;dr version: waa smogon is a big baby waa pro precis writing skills ftw

              The "stagnating metagame" is not exactly the fault of Smogon's tiering system. I hope you are still reading this because, surprise surprise, people play Pokemon. No one is discouraging you to use creative movesets--as long as it works. In fact, some of the known movesets right now were considered creative before--right until people started using them team after team. People people people people people. Do you see what I'm getting at?

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
              I too am a strong believer in everything has a counter battling, because everything does. The teirs make everyone use the same pokemon over and over, but allowing anyone to use anything does quite the opposite. Sure at first people will keep using the most powerful same pokemon over and over, but then people will figure out counters to those, and the. More people will use those and someone else will figure out counters to those and so on and so on. Just because today everyone is using mega kangaskhan, for example, doesn't mean people won't figure out counters to those, have the counter on all their teams then very quickly no one is using kangaskhan but rather the counter, and so on and so on, and the game will evolve from there. Removing the incentive to think for yourself by banning pokemon, moves and strategies doesn't help anyone. It in fact reduces imaginative battlers and makes them unable to function if anyone else tries anything other than the smogon pre approved movesets.
              I'm going to go on a limb here and say that you've no proper experience with the Smogon's metagames. Either that or you lack the basic understanding of simple logic. I'm sorry if that is a bit...insulting but I'm only being honest. They have banned most (emphasis on most) of the Pokemon with legitimate reasons. I'm afraid one or two counters are not enough to decry a Pokemon's ban. If a Pokemon is legitimately "broken" then everyone will be forced to use a niche Pokemon to counter something widely used, thereby leaving them with only 5 slots to work with; essentially giving up team synergy just to counter a single Pokemon.

              I find it amusing the people keep insisting on dissing Smogon's tiering system. You're entitled to your own opinion, yeah, but at least support your opinions with actions. I have seen a many a people say "screw smogon I play by my own rules *puts on shades*" yet they still battle under Smogon's circumstances or worse (i'm talking about those who don't play competitive Pokemon at all).
              Reply With Quote
                #36    
              Old March 2nd, 2014 (7:56 PM).
              Xander Olivieri's Avatar
              Xander Olivieri Xander Olivieri is offline
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2010
                Gender: Other
                Nature: Hasty
                Posts: 5,601
                The official standards won't mirror Smogon's standards because the people who run it disagree with the mentality of "this is the only way to use them." That Smogon presents. Smogon has a higher rate of constantly repeating teams than the official tournaments do and a lot of local tournaments give off way better and more unique team formats.

                Only things that are banned are event exclusive content, which I believe Soul Dew is event exclusive as well hence the item's ban, and main box art legends.

                The only time they have ever banned Pokemon and or moves is if they had really bad effects like Chatter, Gravity and Dark Void.
                Reply With Quote
                  #37    
                Old March 6th, 2014 (3:02 PM).
                NRG NRG is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Oct 2013
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 59
                  Relevent replay:

                  2WQG-WWWW-WWW6-WZU8

                  Been trying for ages to get a good kangaskhan vid
                  __________________
                  3DSXL FC: 1693-1772-8962 || FS: Masquerain, Combee, Venomoth
                  3DS FC: 1650-2410-7537 || FS: Cascoon, Swalot, []
                  Gen 2 > all. Gen 2 with Gen 3 music = best game evar!!
                  Reply With Quote
                    #38    
                  Old March 8th, 2014 (7:16 PM). Edited March 8th, 2014 by Azire.
                  Azire's Avatar
                  Azire Azire is offline
                  Mr. Premier Ball
                     
                    Join Date: Nov 2012
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Naughty
                    Posts: 768
                    Smogon......I don't play by their rules. I believe a lot of it is stupid. Blaziken is banned why? Blaziken isn't that great and Scolipede is actually 10x the Baton Passer Blaziken is. Being a BP fanatic I have tested this excessively. Blaziken is actually really easy to take down. I've never personally had a problem with it.

                    Evasion? How do people think this strategy is hard to battle against? Uncompetitive!? That's like saying Trick Room is uncompetitive. There is so much to combat evasion it's ridiculous it's still banned. The evasion argument is like trying to convert a 90 year old Catholic to Atheism. People against it just won't ever seen how blind they really are.

                    What's really bad? Stealth Rock. Not saying it should be banned but how does it not classify the same as other banned items? You have to put a counter or two on your team, it absolutely destroys certain Pokémon. Look at Rain last Gen. Almost every team you battle was Rain and all teams had like 9 different Pokémon. How was that fun?

                    Smogon is kind of that love/hate. It gives players something to abide by but it's far from perfect.

                    EDIT: On the evasion clause and making the game luck based, Focus Blast without evasion is luck based. How many Pokémon still run it for coverage? How many people still use Aura Sphere without evasion? Mega Gengar sometimes uses FB. Mewtwo X sometimes uses Aura Sphere. Evasion is just another strategy you prepare for, it's not even that great. You run Rapid Spin or Defog on almost every team? Why no Haze?
                    __________________
                    Azire's Premier Pokémon
                    Please Leave A Review If We Trade
                    Trader Review Thread
                    Reply With Quote
                      #39    
                    Old March 8th, 2014 (8:03 PM). Edited March 8th, 2014 by Super Bling.
                    Super Bling's Avatar
                    Super Bling Super Bling is offline
                    Clair pretty thick, huh?
                       
                      Join Date: Jan 2014
                      Nature: Adamant
                      Posts: 93
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by iAzire View Post
                      Smogon......I don't play by their rules. I believe a lot of it is stupid. Blaziken is banned why? Blaziken isn't that great and Scolipede is actually 10x the Baton Passer Blaziken is. Being a BP fanatic I have tested this excessively. Blaziken is actually really easy to take down. I've never personally had a problem with it.

                      Evasion? How do people think this strategy is hard to battle against? Uncompetitive!? That's like saying Trick Room is uncompetitive. There is so much to combat evasion it's ridiculous it's still banned. The evasion argument is like trying to convert a 90 year old Catholic to Atheism. People against it just won't ever seen how blind they really are.

                      What's really bad? Stealth Rock. Not saying it should be banned but how does it not classify the same as other banned items? You have to put a counter or two on your team, it absolutely destroys certain Pokémon. Look at Rain last Gen. Almost every team you battle was Rain and all teams had like 9 different Pokémon. How was that fun?

                      Smogon is kind of that love/hate. It gives players something to abide by but it's far from perfect.

                      EDIT: On the evasion clause and making the game luck based, Focus Blast without evasion is luck based. How many Pokémon still run it for coverage? How many people still use Aura Sphere without evasion? Mega Gengar sometimes uses FB. Mewtwo X sometimes uses Aura Sphere. Evasion is just another strategy you prepare for, it's not even that great. You run Rapid Spin or Defog on almost every team? Why no Haze?
                      Well I mean...not everyone wants to bring a Taunter just for the attempt to avoid the Double Team/Minimize. Not everyone wants to bring an Aerial Ace or Shock Waver. There are even Pokemon with Prankster that get Double Team. You can't say that isn't annoying. You'll need a Prankster just to counter that Prankster.

                      Then again, it all comes down to luck. Luck has always played a big part in Pokemon.

                      But I'm not disagreeing with you or anything, just throwing my opinion out there.

                      I like Haze as a big **** you to all those Scizors and Cloysters though.

                      also Toxic Boost Facade max speed 252 attack zangoose is the best thing in the world
                      __________________


                      4642-8312-8475 Baron Black 2
                      Reply With Quote
                        #40    
                      Old March 8th, 2014 (10:10 PM).
                      Azire's Avatar
                      Azire Azire is offline
                      Mr. Premier Ball
                         
                        Join Date: Nov 2012
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Naughty
                        Posts: 768
                        Well it's like you just mentioned, Haze isn't only for Evasion Pokémon/Teams. It actually has use against Pokémon that boost ANYTHING!! So it's not dead weight. One move slot and when is the last time you saw a team without a single booster?

                        Why isn't evasion allowed? Oh that's right!! It is in my eyes!! Granted I never use it like I never use Mega Kanga or Mega Gar but I don't tend to follow Smogon rules. Just cause I don't follow their rules doesn't mean I go out and make the most Uber hax team ever.
                        __________________
                        Azire's Premier Pokémon
                        Please Leave A Review If We Trade
                        Trader Review Thread
                        Reply With Quote
                          #41    
                        Old March 8th, 2014 (10:16 PM).
                        PlatinumDude's Avatar
                        PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is offline
                        Nyeh?
                        • Gold Tier
                         
                        Join Date: Aug 2010
                        Location: Canada
                        Age: 23
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Hasty
                        Posts: 12,832
                        Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by iAzire View Post
                        Well it's like you just mentioned, Haze isn't only for Evasion Pokémon/Teams. It actually has use against Pokémon that boost ANYTHING!! So it's not dead weight. One move slot and when is the last time you saw a team without a single booster?

                        Why isn't evasion allowed? Oh that's right!! It is in my eyes!! Granted I never use it like I never use Mega Kanga or Mega Gar but I don't tend to follow Smogon rules. Just cause I don't follow their rules doesn't mean I go out and make the most Uber hax team ever.
                        The reason why Blaziken got banned (again) is because it had the raw power to back up its steadily increasing Speed in battle. It forces switches easily and can find opportunities to set up Swords Dance. Once Talonflame and Azumarill were eliminated Blaziken was free to wreak havoc. Its Mega Evolution cranks it up a notch by giving it more Speed and power.
                        __________________

                        Reply With Quote
                          #42    
                        Old March 9th, 2014 (1:56 PM).
                        Azire's Avatar
                        Azire Azire is offline
                        Mr. Premier Ball
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2012
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Naughty
                          Posts: 768
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
                          The reason why Blaziken got banned (again) is because it had the raw power to back up its steadily increasing Speed in battle. It forces switches easily and can find opportunities to set up Swords Dance. Once Talonflame and Azumarill were eliminated Blaziken was free to wreak havoc. Its Mega Evolution cranks it up a notch by giving it more Speed and power.
                          Blaziken can be beaten. It's weak to common attack types. Off the top of my head it's weak to Flying, Psychic, Water, Ground and neutral to Fairy due the secondary Fighting typing getting rid of the resistance provided by the Fire typing.

                          I'm curious as to how many people actually played against Blaziken before it's almost immediate ban. I understand how Mega Kangaskhan can cause problems, Mega Gengar is hacked as all hell. With a Kyurem-W SAtk and monstrous Spe. Shadow Tag + Perish Song + Destiny Bond is insane. You add STAB Shadow Ball off 170 SAtk, okay it's completely overpowered. Blaziken? Easy enough to counter. Even on a full Baton Pass team I would much rather use Scolipede.
                          __________________
                          Azire's Premier Pokémon
                          Please Leave A Review If We Trade
                          Trader Review Thread
                          Reply With Quote
                            #43    
                          Old March 9th, 2014 (2:20 PM). Edited March 10th, 2014 by Nah.
                          Nah's Avatar
                          Nah Nah is online now
                          • Moderator
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2013
                          Location: over there
                          Age: 24
                          Gender: Female
                          Posts: 11,365
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by iAzire View Post
                          Blaziken can be beaten. It's weak to common attack types. Off the top of my head it's weak to Flying, Psychic, Water, Ground and neutral to Fairy due the secondary Fighting typing getting rid of the resistance provided by the Fire typing.

                          I'm curious as to how many people actually played against Blaziken before it's almost immediate ban. I understand how Mega Kangaskhan can cause problems, Mega Gengar is hacked as all hell. With a Kyurem-W SAtk and monstrous Spe. Shadow Tag + Perish Song + Destiny Bond is insane. You add STAB Shadow Ball off 170 SAtk, okay it's completely overpowered. Blaziken? Easy enough to counter. Even on a full Baton Pass team I would much rather use Scolipede.
                          Blaziken is banned because it can be incredibly difficult to kill once it has set up. Or at least Mega Blaziken, anyway. Speed Boost makes it impossible to revenge kill it without priority since nothing can outspeed it after a few boosts, and with a Swords Dance boost has the power to crush most OU pokes. The ones that can take a +2 STAB Hi Jump Kick or Flare Blitz are usually either severely damaged or unable to KO it back, with a few exceptions.

                          Though I'm not sure why people complain when something's banned. There's plenty of other pokes to use, and if you wanna use the banned poke, battle in Ubers.

                          And Evasion Clause exists to remove another luck-based factor from competitive battles. There's enough luck based crap in Pokemnon already; lets not turn competitive battles into a fancy version of gambling. If I wanna gamble, I'll go to the nearest casino and play craps or roulette or something.
                          __________________
                          NAH

                          "Heh, I'm not scared of you!"

                          D&DShop6th Gen
                          Reply With Quote
                            #44    
                          Old March 9th, 2014 (5:54 PM).
                          Azire's Avatar
                          Azire Azire is offline
                          Mr. Premier Ball
                             
                            Join Date: Nov 2012
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Naughty
                            Posts: 768
                            Another luck based factor? The fact that you have to say ANOTHER is the point. People are lazy and don't feel like dealing with an overall terrible strategy. I probably wouldn't feel so strongly about it if Evasion weren't such a terrible strategy. It is so ridiculously easy to beat it's stupid. It's like banning Pikachu with Light Ball. What would be the point?

                            Smogon is so blinded by their move sets to counter this Pokémon and that. People don't want the accuracy of the already terribly inaccurate Focus Blast to be put into jeopardy. One evasion boost does what? Turns a regular attack into Focus Blast?

                            What about attacks that never miss? Haze. I can't keep repeating Haze. It has good distribution and it's just like running Defog. Oh you don't want to get rid of your boosts to combat the opponent?

                            It is laziness to adapt to a new Meta and fear of having to learn new strategies. People are stuck in their ways.

                            Why don't we see just how much usage Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Gengar and evasion get in VGC. I'm assuming evasion won't see much use because it's a terrible strategy.
                            __________________
                            Azire's Premier Pokémon
                            Please Leave A Review If We Trade
                            Trader Review Thread
                            Reply With Quote
                              #45    
                            Old March 9th, 2014 (6:18 PM).
                            PlatinumDude's Avatar
                            PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is offline
                            Nyeh?
                            • Gold Tier
                             
                            Join Date: Aug 2010
                            Location: Canada
                            Age: 23
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Hasty
                            Posts: 12,832
                            Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by iAzire View Post
                            Another luck based factor? The fact that you have to say ANOTHER is the point. People are lazy and don't feel like dealing with an overall terrible strategy. I probably wouldn't feel so strongly about it if Evasion weren't such a terrible strategy. It is so ridiculously easy to beat it's stupid. It's like banning Pikachu with Light Ball. What would be the point?

                            Smogon is so blinded by their move sets to counter this Pokémon and that. People don't want the accuracy of the already terribly inaccurate Focus Blast to be put into jeopardy. One evasion boost does what? Turns a regular attack into Focus Blast?

                            What about attacks that never miss? Haze. I can't keep repeating Haze. It has good distribution and it's just like running Defog. Oh you don't want to get rid of your boosts to combat the opponent?

                            It is laziness to adapt to a new Meta and fear of having to learn new strategies. People are stuck in their ways.

                            Why don't we see just how much usage Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Gengar and evasion get in VGC. I'm assuming evasion won't see much use because it's a terrible strategy.
                            Attacks that never miss, like Swift, aren't used at all because of their low base powers. The only exceptions are Aura Sphere, which has acceptable base power (at 90 in Gens IV-V, 80 in Gen VI), Aerial Ace (which Mega Aerodactyl can actually get away with thanks to Tough Claws powering up the move), Shadow Punch (which Golurk can use thanks to Iron Fist) and Clear Smog, which is used as an offensive Haze. However, Aura Sphere and Clear Smog aren't learned by a lot of Pokemon.
                            __________________

                            Reply With Quote
                              #46    
                            Old March 9th, 2014 (7:26 PM).
                            ToWriteLove's Avatar
                            ToWriteLove ToWriteLove is offline
                            On Her Arms
                               
                              Join Date: Jan 2011
                              Location: Southern Indiana
                              Age: 25
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Gentle
                              Posts: 320
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by iAzire View Post
                              Another luck based factor? The fact that you have to say ANOTHER is the point. People are lazy and don't feel like dealing with an overall terrible strategy. I probably wouldn't feel so strongly about it if Evasion weren't such a terrible strategy. It is so ridiculously easy to beat it's stupid. It's like banning Pikachu with Light Ball. What would be the point?

                              Smogon is so blinded by their move sets to counter this Pokémon and that. People don't want the accuracy of the already terribly inaccurate Focus Blast to be put into jeopardy. One evasion boost does what? Turns a regular attack into Focus Blast?

                              What about attacks that never miss? Haze. I can't keep repeating Haze. It has good distribution and it's just like running Defog. Oh you don't want to get rid of your boosts to combat the opponent?

                              It is laziness to adapt to a new Meta and fear of having to learn new strategies. People are stuck in their ways.

                              Why don't we see just how much usage Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Gengar and evasion get in VGC. I'm assuming evasion won't see much use because it's a terrible strategy.
                              Let's examine what you are saying here and put it into perspective. You are wanting to rely on the move Haze to deal with Stat Changes, thus allowing Evasion to be perfectly acceptable in the meta? you say you can just keep spamming Haze? You do have a limit of PP, and what happens in the case that your Haze user is either killed beforehand, or they are faster than you and kill you. What do you do in that situation, invest another Pokemon to have Haze? Okay, so two slots taken up by a Haze User that could've been used as a check. Using as a check as well? What if it's dealt with? then the battle could potentially go out of hand and you are sitting there doing nothing.

                              Even in a situation without Haze, in which yes, you can kill a Poke' trying to use Evasion to it's advantage, they can be killed easily with the right answer, but what if you don't have the right answer right then? What if they are able to get just two evasive moves off. You can still hit it right? But what if you don't? Yes I am putting the Luck Factor into perspective, but the Luck Factor IS a part of competitive battling.

                              You say Smogon is so blinded by their ways, when Smogon is an entire community of people, just just a committee. Each banned Poke has been taken into testing by people who move up their ladder battling, and then put to a vote among the community. Sound hard? I was able to ladder in about three to four days to put my vote into say, so therefore you could do the same. How does that show laziness? Have you ever legitimately tested against a tuned team with Blaziken?

                              And then you are comparing Smogon Singles.... To VGC Doubles? you do realize that these are completely different metas right? The amount of difference between having two Poke' against two Poke' and 1v1 is incredible. Also, if you check out the site Nuggetbridge, you can see reports of Top 16 rankings/teams of recent VGC Tournaments, which have a fair number of Kangaskhan's and Gengar's among them.
                              __________________
                              Pokemon Sun FC: 4527-7867-1851
                              Reply With Quote
                                #47    
                              Old March 9th, 2014 (9:55 PM).
                              Griffinbane's Avatar
                              Griffinbane Griffinbane is offline
                              I hate Smeargle.
                              • Gold Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Mar 2008
                              Location: Pennsylvania, US
                              Age: 29
                              Gender: Female
                              Nature: Lax
                              Posts: 1,330
                              VGC someone said?

                              Mega Kangaskan is in like half the teams or so seen among the top 16 at tournaments, as ToWriteLove said. A third at the very least. Also, Kangaskan is the third most used Pokemon in Season 2 of Special Battles, which was and is following VGC rules. Evasion moves fall under the set-up move list and like just about every other set up move, it's not used because the meta is too aggressive. You may see a random Sand Veil Garchomp holding Bright Powder, however. That damned thing cost me top 16 two Spring VGCs ago. (How does THREE Ice Beams miss???) Mega Gengar is uncommon but you'll see them on most Perish teams.

                              I'm not sure why you're comparing VGC to Smogon. It's easier to compare apples to grapes.
                              __________________
                              Terriermon and Lopmon

                              White: 1463 5558 5309
                              X: 2208 5685 5454
                              - - - -
                              Reply With Quote
                                #48    
                              Old March 10th, 2014 (4:17 AM).
                              Nah's Avatar
                              Nah Nah is online now
                              • Moderator
                               
                              Join Date: Nov 2013
                              Location: over there
                              Age: 24
                              Gender: Female
                              Posts: 11,365
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by iAzire View Post
                              Another luck based factor? The fact that you have to say ANOTHER is the point. People are lazy and don't feel like dealing with an overall terrible strategy. I probably wouldn't feel so strongly about it if Evasion weren't such a terrible strategy. It is so ridiculously easy to beat it's stupid. It's like banning Pikachu with Light Ball. What would be the point?

                              Smogon is so blinded by their move sets to counter this Pokémon and that. People don't want the accuracy of the already terribly inaccurate Focus Blast to be put into jeopardy. One evasion boost does what? Turns a regular attack into Focus Blast?

                              What about attacks that never miss? Haze. I can't keep repeating Haze. It has good distribution and it's just like running Defog. Oh you don't want to get rid of your boosts to combat the opponent?

                              It is laziness to adapt to a new Meta and fear of having to learn new strategies. People are stuck in their ways.

                              Why don't we see just how much usage Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Gengar and evasion get in VGC. I'm assuming evasion won't see much use because it's a terrible strategy.
                              I don't think evasio is as terrible strategy as you make it out to be. And apparently you didn't read my last couple of sentences. Evasion requires no skill to use. Evasion is basically a luck based strategy. There is enough of a luck factor in Pokemon already. Evasion is banned so competitive battling stays competitive and doesn't turn into a craps shoot. There's no reason to play Pokemon competitively if its just a gamble.

                              The thing you need to understand is that human beings are the ones playing Pokemon competitively. Most people are NOT creative and NOT good strategists; therefore you can't expect them to come up with ways to counter new threats or attempt to learn new strategies. People play to win.
                              __________________
                              NAH

                              "Heh, I'm not scared of you!"

                              D&DShop6th Gen
                              Reply With Quote
                                #49    
                              Old March 10th, 2014 (1:24 PM).
                              Azire's Avatar
                              Azire Azire is offline
                              Mr. Premier Ball
                                 
                                Join Date: Nov 2012
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Naughty
                                Posts: 768
                                Every team carries counters to other Pokémon. This is my point with Blaziken. You build your team to counter threats. Blaziken is not uncountable, at least not nearly as bad as Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Gengar.

                                I understand that Singles and Doubles are different play styles but why wouldn't Hail+Snow Cloak+Bright Powder work for an Evasion build? Other Pokémon could use other skills, I don't think the aggressive style means you can't use it. Combine that Evasion with STAB 100% accurate Blizzard? Froslass also has STAB Shadow Ball. It could be done.

                                My purpose for bringing up VGC and the usage of Pokémon and Evasion is the Pokémon are being used while evasion isn't except in rare cases. Of course anything could pop up in VGC so it's a moot point.

                                On the point of losing your Haze user, what happens if you lose your spinner/defogger? You can end up severely crippled either way based on your team.

                                Simply put, if people use moves that increase accuracy, why not decrease? The entire game is luck based, why remove something that is luck based? It doesn't make sense.
                                __________________
                                Azire's Premier Pokémon
                                Please Leave A Review If We Trade
                                Trader Review Thread
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #50    
                                Old March 10th, 2014 (1:35 PM).
                                Cordova.Erick's Avatar
                                Cordova.Erick Cordova.Erick is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: May 2013
                                  Location: Houston,TX
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Quiet
                                  Posts: 28
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by SparksPKMN View Post
                                  So, some time ago Smogon banned Mega Blaziken (for Speed Boost), Mega Kangaskhan (for unstoppableness involving Power-Up Punch), and Mega Gengar (for general trickery) from their whatever-thing. I don't really care much about their whatever-thing, but this got my attention. Why? Because as a fan of Pokemon and my involvement with its meta. This type of thing has really has gotten on my nerves in the past (the banning of Soul Dew, for example) and I'm fearing an all-out ban of the use of Mega Stones online for X and Y.
                                  Don't worry, this won't be an essay, but an articulation of my opinion (a rant, you could say). The reason this bothers me so much is the fact that other video games let their metas evolve on their own. If Pokemon did this, it would be like this: Someone finds a really powerful Pokemon, and they use it in the meta. Some of the meta copies this person, while the rest look for a counter. As many start using this counter, people can predict that they will be facing this counter, and the meta flows like that accordingly. However, Smogon doesn't seem to want that to happen. What they are doing is trying to ban all Pokemon that take over the meta without letting it flow, thus creating a somewhat broken meta.

                                  I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I was kinda in a hurry in typing this because it's pretty long.
                                  I Agree With You , But The Thing Is That About Eighty Five Percent Of The People Play By Smogon Rules . When There's A VGC Tournament Hosted By The Creators Of The Pokemon Game , People Will Use All Those "OU" Pokemon In There & Battle With Them . The Thing That They Don't Know Is That In A VGC Battle You Can Use Minimize & Make A Lot Of Your Opponents Pokemon Fall Asleep & Smogon People Get Mad , But What They Don't Realize Is The Rules Of The VGC Competition.
                                  __________________
                                  erick
                                  Reply With Quote
                                  Reply
                                  Quick Reply

                                  Sponsored Links
                                  Thread Tools

                                  Posting Rules
                                  You may not post new threads
                                  You may not post replies
                                  You may not post attachments
                                  You may not edit your posts

                                  BB code is On
                                  Smilies are On
                                  [IMG] code is On
                                  HTML code is Off

                                  Forum Jump


                                  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:16 AM.