Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

 
 
Thread Tools
  #51    
Old June 5th, 2014 (8:56 AM). Edited June 5th, 2014 by Russian Red.
Russian Red's Avatar
Russian Red Russian Red is offline
When it rains, it pours.
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 44
Hello,

I'd love to join this group and contribute to discussions on a regular basis.

I was an agnostic throughout the majority of my life, however due to events that have happened in my life, negative ones which have impacted my faith, I have become an Atheist.

The majority of people I speak to who are atheists seem to share my perspective on religion as a whole. They see religion as nothing but faith, which I completely agree with. They, like myself have had their faith taken away by traumatic experiences, which has deeply affected our lives and our faith in the existence of any god/higher power. It seems that most people who are atheists actually become one due to them losing their faith. At least that is what I have noticed and is my perception towards people who have disbelief towards god/a higher power.

Another view I have towards atheism is that the majority of atheists are intelligent people or at least people who believe that without factual evidence supporting the views and beliefs of religion, it cannot really exist. That religion itself is nothing more than a story conjured by numerous people over a long period of time. That each religion has been twisted and manipulated by certain individuals separate beliefs and values. In summary, it's far more logical and the evidence supports that there is no higher power/correct religion.

I apologise if what I wrote didn't make sense, it's currently 2.55am here and my mind is in disarray haha.
__________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgbcXig1TZ8

Relevant Advertising!

  #52    
Old June 5th, 2014 (9:08 PM).
Kanzler's Avatar
Kanzler Kanzler is offline
naughty biscotti
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 5,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
If one religion in the world, one, was real, which one would you hope it to be?
Buddhism is real foo

I mean it doesn't really involve belief in the supernatural so I guess it's by definition as real as it gets. They say a lot about the Buddha, but I treat them as Chuck Norris jokes.
  #53    
Old June 25th, 2014 (7:49 PM).
Phantom's Avatar
Phantom Phantom is offline
Uh, I didn't do it
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
Posts: 1,194
Have you ever run into an issue because of your disbelief? Discrimination?
__________________
  #54    
Old June 27th, 2014 (1:25 PM).
Poki Poki is offline
Banned
     
    Join Date: Aug 2013
    Location: България
    Nature: Naughty
    Posts: 2,424
    Have you ever run into an issue because of your disbelief? Discrimination?

    Years ago, I had a Christian friend, who started a huge argument with me when I told him that I am an Atheist. After a few "ur going to hell u stupid ♥♥♥♥♥"-like phrases, he deleted me. I haven't heard from him ever since. Good ♥♥♥♥ing riddance, I say.
      #55    
    Old June 28th, 2014 (7:24 AM).
    GreyBidoof's Avatar
    GreyBidoof GreyBidoof is offline
    You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
    • Silver Tier
     
    Join Date: May 2014
    Location: Goldenrod City, Johto
    Age: 20
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Serious
    Posts: 767
    Hey guys,
    I'm not looking to join, but I do have some questions I'd like to respectfully discuss with anyone that's willing. Is that allowed?
    __________________



    Friends for Infinity
    RPT | Titans | Theme Song | Pair

    "Doofin' it up."

    art by the churiffic Infinite
      #56    
    Old June 28th, 2014 (7:57 AM).
    Mana's Avatar
    Mana Mana is offline
    • Platinum Tier
     
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: UK
    Gender: Female
    Posts: 10,005
    Join me up please! I was a member of the old club. I've been an atheist as far as I can remember, in primary school I was very confused by the idea of praying every morning / thanking God or Jesus for things. It never really clicked with my ideals.

    Have you ever run into an issue because of your disbelief? Discrimination?

    Nope, here in the UK atheists are a majority faction and on the rise~

    Quote:
    You do not need to be atheist/agnostic to join this club. And member of any religion can post here if they have questions if done so in a respectful manner. If someone PMs you in a rude way regarding your lack of faith, please report them to the staff.
    ^ GreyBidoof - looks like you can go ahead!
      #57    
    Old June 28th, 2014 (9:16 AM).
    GreyBidoof's Avatar
    GreyBidoof GreyBidoof is offline
    You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
    • Silver Tier
     
    Join Date: May 2014
    Location: Goldenrod City, Johto
    Age: 20
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Serious
    Posts: 767
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    ^ GreyBidoof - looks like you can go ahead!
    Sweet! Well, then my first question would be as follows:

    How would you define your atheism? Do you believe that it is impossible/illogical for a God or deity to exist? Or do you simply choose based on what you have experienced not to believe in one? (Or perhaps another explanation I haven't expressed?)
    __________________



    Friends for Infinity
    RPT | Titans | Theme Song | Pair

    "Doofin' it up."

    art by the churiffic Infinite
      #58    
    Old June 28th, 2014 (9:24 AM).
    Mana's Avatar
    Mana Mana is offline
    • Platinum Tier
     
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: UK
    Gender: Female
    Posts: 10,005
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreyBidoof View Post
    Sweet! Well, then my first question would be as follows:

    How would you define your atheism? Do you believe that it is impossible/illogical for a God or deity to exist? Or do you simply choose based on what you have experienced not to believe in one? (Or perhaps another explanation I haven't expressed?)
    For me, it's a bit of both.

    I don't feel the need to have a god, I am comfortable with my life without one. I understand, I think, that some people need a god to comfort them or encourage them through life. I just find my motivation in the physical world I suppose.

    I also don't see the logic behind a god. The world is too chaotic and diverse to be maintained or associated with an almighty or perfect being. I also find the contradictions between teachings and what happened in the real world to be incredibly ironic - god wants us to love everyone, but also declares people sinners. We are all gods children, yet he 'created' things that harm and kill us.

    Just my two cents
      #59    
    Old June 29th, 2014 (12:08 PM).
    Absolus's Avatar
    Absolus Absolus is offline
       
      Join Date: Jun 2014
      Location: United Kingdom
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 46
      Hi there, I'd like to join & take part in some off the discussions. Strictly speaking I'm an agnostic atheist because I accept that I can never know for certain if a deity could exist or not; however because I lead my life with the assumption that a deity does not exist I am in effect just an atheist.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by GreyBidoof View Post
      How would you define your atheism? Do you believe that it is impossible/illogical for a God or deity to exist? Or do you simply choose based on what you have experienced not to believe in one? (Or perhaps another explanation I haven't expressed?)
      I wouldn't say impossible, but with my understanding of how things work I just find it highly unlikely. To the general idea of a higher power or influence I wouldn't even necessarily say illogical, as it is something we couldn't possibly prove at this point in time.

      What I do personally find to be illogical is the notion of any specific deity cited by any particular religion. With so many conflicting religions and denominations I can't believe that any single one could be true, and I especially can't believe that any of them could care about us.

      I'm an atheist because to me it seems more likely that there aren't any deities/gods than that any do exist.
      __________________


      Challenges: Pokemon Emerald Monotype run (Completed) - 06/07/14
      Pokemon Leaf Green Yellow Mono-Colour run (Badges 8/8 - Preparing for Pkmn League)


      Avatar by: http://silvishinystar.deviantart.com/
        #60    
      Old June 29th, 2014 (6:12 PM).
      Kanzler's Avatar
      Kanzler Kanzler is offline
      naughty biscotti
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Jul 2008
      Location: Toronto
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 5,873
      It's incredibly hard for me to believe in a god. He says everything but tells nothing. Personally, I've never had even so much as an verbal argument with somebody over religion.
        #61    
      Old June 30th, 2014 (7:18 AM).
      GreyBidoof's Avatar
      GreyBidoof GreyBidoof is offline
      You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
      • Silver Tier
       
      Join Date: May 2014
      Location: Goldenrod City, Johto
      Age: 20
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Serious
      Posts: 767
      Well, it's cool to get some different responses, especially since I had no idea what was going to be said. I hope you guys won't mind if I add some comments of my own.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Magic View Post
      For me, it's a bit of both.
      I also don't see the logic behind a god. The world is too chaotic and diverse to be maintained or associated with an almighty or perfect being. I also find the contradictions between teachings and what happened in the real world to be incredibly ironic
      While the world is certainly very chaotic (even though a large percentage of the chaos is caused by people themselves), I would say that the world is also very intelligently designed (ex- the earth's delicate life-supporting planetary conditions, the functionality of the human body). I find it much easier to believe that someone purposed for these things to be this way, rather than just randomly occurring (which, in terms of probability, is incredibly slim). I would also venture to say that the "contradictions" you mentioned are not actually so, and can be explained.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Magic View Post
      For me, it's a bit of both.
      god wants us to love everyone, but also declares people sinners. We are all gods children, yet he 'created' things that harm and kill us.
      Could it be that God does want us to love everyone, but calls people sinners because they fail to do so? And could it also be that the things that harm people could be a result of (excuse the religious reference) sin in the world?

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Absolus View Post
      Hi there, I'd like to join & take part in some off the discussions. Strictly speaking I'm an agnostic atheist because I accept that I can never know for certain if a deity could exist or not; however because I lead my life with the assumption that a deity does not exist I am in effect just an atheist.
      This makes a lot of sense to me. I've always wondered why people would claim that there is no God when they could really never know it to be true, but your explanation, which leans more toward agnosticism, is logical.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Absolus View Post
      I wouldn't say impossible, but with my understanding of how things work I just find it highly unlikely. To the general idea of a higher power or influence I wouldn't even necessarily say illogical, as it is something we couldn't possibly prove at this point in time.
      Again, I agree with you on this point. There is no way to prove the existence of a God, or at least (like you said, at this point). That's not to say that you couldn't experience and/or have faith in a God, it just means that there's no way to factually prove it. That's why it's called faith.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Absolus View Post
      What I do personally find to be illogical is the notion of any specific deity cited by any particular religion. With so many conflicting religions and denominations I can't believe that any single one could be true, and I especially can't believe that any of them could care about us.

      I'm an atheist because to me it seems more likely that there aren't any deities/gods than that any do exist.
      I don't think that the idea of a specific deity being real or true is illogical. Different people interpret things differently, so that explains why there can be so many denominations within a religion. Assuming the possibility that one of these could be true, you could also make a case for one of them caring for people, based on their teachings.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Kanzler View Post
      It's incredibly hard for me to believe in a god. He says everything but tells nothing. Personally, I've never had even so much as an verbal argument with somebody over religion.
      Not quite sure what you mean......? If you don't believe in a God then how does he "say everything?"

      By the way, just wanted to put it out there that I'm not looking to argue with you guys, just wanted to share my opinion on some of the things that were said. I'm actually enjoying learning about atheism
      __________________



      Friends for Infinity
      RPT | Titans | Theme Song | Pair

      "Doofin' it up."

      art by the churiffic Infinite
        #62    
      Old July 1st, 2014 (8:49 PM).
      Phantom's Avatar
      Phantom Phantom is offline
      Uh, I didn't do it
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Aug 2011
      Location: Minnesota
      Age: 26
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Brave
      Posts: 1,194
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Absolus View Post
      Hi there, I'd like to join & take part in some off the discussions. Strictly speaking I'm an agnostic atheist because I accept that I can never know for certain if a deity could exist or not; however because I lead my life with the assumption that a deity does not exist I am in effect just an atheist.
      Welcome, and added.

      And of course, anyone who is willing to respectfully join in is welcome.
        #63    
      Old July 17th, 2014 (7:46 PM).
      Phantom's Avatar
      Phantom Phantom is offline
      Uh, I didn't do it
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Aug 2011
      Location: Minnesota
      Age: 26
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Brave
      Posts: 1,194
      What does everyone think of the new drama with employers and birth control?
      __________________
        #64    
      Old July 17th, 2014 (9:12 PM).
      MurkMire's Avatar
      MurkMire MurkMire is offline
      Toxic Trouble
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Oct 2011
      Location: ????
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Naughty
      Posts: 836
      New drama? I've been gone longer than I thought. I can only imagine what they are, but... tell us anyway. ;P
      __________________
        #65    
      Old July 18th, 2014 (9:53 AM).
      Shiny Bunnelby's Avatar
      Shiny Bunnelby Shiny Bunnelby is offline
      Tolerated, but never celebrated.
         
        Join Date: Jul 2014
        Location: Oklahoma, United States
        Age: 25
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Sassy
        Posts: 362
        Hey. Relatively new to the site and stumbled upon this! So, hi! I am an atheist. I live in Oklahoma, the notorious "buckle" of the Bible Belt. While atheism is underrepresented for the most part, there are a few groups that I have joined, such as Oklahoma Atheists, so I do not feel alone as I did while a teenager amongst my peers.

        My family is spiritual and not religious, but as far as I know, I am the only one who doesn't believe in the divine. Fortunately, they aren't judgmental of other people. I've met a fair share of incredible Christians, Catholics, and Mormons who have absolutely no hateful bones in their bodies. On the other hand, I have faced public ridicule by complete strangers for not believing as they do. I tried church. I really tried to experience God. It ended pretty quickly when one of my friends came out as gay any not only got kicked out of church, but they ridiculed him behind his back during services. It was cruel and hateful. I did some "soul searching" and did heaps of reading before I came to my own conclusion.

        I keep my views to myself these days unless asked, so issues rarely spring up. c:
        __________________
        "I call dis 'Flight of the Bunnelby'."
        4699-7220-5840
          #66    
        Old July 20th, 2014 (7:18 AM).
        UndertakerFreak1127's Avatar
        UndertakerFreak1127 UndertakerFreak1127 is offline
        21st Century Digital Boy
           
          Join Date: Apr 2010
          Location: Michigan
          Age: 26
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Bold
          Posts: 635
          I've identified as an atheist since I was 15, so seven years now. Before that, I can't say I ever really believed in anything. I just sort of parroted the religious nonsense and platitudes everyone else was spewing. George Carlin was the one who started my brain in the counterculture way it's been spinning for some time now, and he taught me how to question everything, especially religion. Seems kind of silly to some of you, but I never had a "father figure" or anyone in my life to guide me in my youth.

          I'm one of the biggest skeptics you'll ever meet, and an even bigger cynic. I don't tolerate the mixing of science with religion, and I have an even lower tolerance for religious folk who castigate me for talking about my lack of belief, yet find it perfectly OK to lull me and anyone else to sleep with their drivel.

          All in all, I'm glad to be here, and I hope to have some nice discussions.
          __________________
          It's called the American Dream... because you have to be asleep to believe it.
          -George Carlin

          FC: 4699 9696 5247
            #67    
          Old July 20th, 2014 (1:08 PM).
          Hackenfall Backslash's Avatar
          Hackenfall Backslash Hackenfall Backslash is offline
          The weirdest mofo you'll ever meet . . . seriously!
             
            Join Date: Jun 2014
            Location: Florida, USA
            Gender: Other
            Nature: Quiet
            Posts: 67
            I'm not an atheist but I get on well with them, so here I am!
            __________________
            Avatar - Fourze: Kamen Rider Fourze
            Profile Picture - Pending
            Signature - Pending
              #68    
            Old July 20th, 2014 (7:48 PM).
            Phantom's Avatar
            Phantom Phantom is offline
            Uh, I didn't do it
            • Crystal Tier
             
            Join Date: Aug 2011
            Location: Minnesota
            Age: 26
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Brave
            Posts: 1,194
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Shiny Bunnelby View Post
            Hey. Relatively new to the site and stumbled upon this! So, hi! I am an atheist. I live in Oklahoma, the notorious "buckle" of the Bible Belt. While atheism is underrepresented for the most part, there are a few groups that I have joined, such as Oklahoma Atheists, so I do not feel alone as I did while a teenager amongst my peers.

            My family is spiritual and not religious, but as far as I know, I am the only one who doesn't believe in the divine. Fortunately, they aren't judgmental of other people. I've met a fair share of incredible Christians, Catholics, and Mormons who have absolutely no hateful bones in their bodies. On the other hand, I have faced public ridicule by complete strangers for not believing as they do. I tried church. I really tried to experience God. It ended pretty quickly when one of my friends came out as gay any not only got kicked out of church, but they ridiculed him behind his back during services. It was cruel and hateful. I did some "soul searching" and did heaps of reading before I came to my own conclusion.

            I keep my views to myself these days unless asked, so issues rarely spring up. c:

            Welcome, and added.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by UndertakerFreak1127 View Post
            I've identified as an atheist since I was 15, so seven years now. Before that, I can't say I ever really believed in anything. I just sort of parroted the religious nonsense and platitudes everyone else was spewing. George Carlin was the one who started my brain in the counterculture way it's been spinning for some time now, and he taught me how to question everything, especially religion. Seems kind of silly to some of you, but I never had a "father figure" or anyone in my life to guide me in my youth.

            I'm one of the biggest skeptics you'll ever meet, and an even bigger cynic. I don't tolerate the mixing of science with religion, and I have an even lower tolerance for religious folk who castigate me for talking about my lack of belief, yet find it perfectly OK to lull me and anyone else to sleep with their drivel.

            All in all, I'm glad to be here, and I hope to have some nice discussions.
            Welcome, also added.
              #69    
            Old July 20th, 2014 (9:41 PM).
            UndertakerFreak1127's Avatar
            UndertakerFreak1127 UndertakerFreak1127 is offline
            21st Century Digital Boy
               
              Join Date: Apr 2010
              Location: Michigan
              Age: 26
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Bold
              Posts: 635
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
              Have you ever run into an issue because of your disbelief? Discrimination?
              My ex-girlfriend's parents really resented the fact that I was an atheist dating their Protestant daughter. At first, they blackballed me from their house, and then I had a discussion with them about the ordeal and they became a bit more tolerant.

              When I was living in Texas, a secular humanist group wanted to put up a billboard that stated "Don't believe in God? You're not alone." That's all. A group of radical Christians got together to pressure the advertising company to take it down. Sure enough, about a mile down the road there was a billboard with an ad for some megachurch.
              __________________
              It's called the American Dream... because you have to be asleep to believe it.
              -George Carlin

              FC: 4699 9696 5247
                #70    
              Old July 21st, 2014 (10:21 AM).
              Hackenfall Backslash's Avatar
              Hackenfall Backslash Hackenfall Backslash is offline
              The weirdest mofo you'll ever meet . . . seriously!
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2014
                Location: Florida, USA
                Gender: Other
                Nature: Quiet
                Posts: 67
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
                Have you ever run into an issue because of your disbelief? Discrimination?
                It's silly when you say you're a non-believer and the first thing the creationist say is "No you're not!" like just being a non-believer in and of itself is worse than paedophilia. What I'd like to know is where the obsession with praying comes from. I know a Buddhist (great people, religion isn't even a religion) who was told to pray about their issues. I thought humans were responsible for their own lives. Maybe I'm wrong though. I am insane, after all.

                If you're interested, the conversation went a little something like this (Buddhist acquaintance in blue; Baptist/Jehovah's Witness in green).

                "But you believe in a god, right?"

                "No. Buddha isn't really seen as a deity."

                "Yeah, but people pray to him. So pray."

                "I don't see the point."

                "Just pray. The point is prayer. Talk to god -- whatever god you believe in."

                Are they trying to change the foundation of every religion now? Buddhism isn't even a religion and they want to change it! Why?!
                  #71    
                Old July 21st, 2014 (7:44 PM).
                GreyBidoof's Avatar
                GreyBidoof GreyBidoof is offline
                You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
                • Silver Tier
                 
                Join Date: May 2014
                Location: Goldenrod City, Johto
                Age: 20
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Serious
                Posts: 767
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Hackenfall Backslash View Post
                "Just pray. The point is prayer. Talk to god -- whatever god you believe in."
                That is pretty silly. Why would someone tell another person to pray to a deity that they themselves don't believe in?

                I do know a lot of people of faith who aren't "obsessed" with praying, though. It's one thing to believe in some thing, and another to try and force it down someone's throat.
                __________________



                Friends for Infinity
                RPT | Titans | Theme Song | Pair

                "Doofin' it up."

                art by the churiffic Infinite
                  #72    
                Old July 25th, 2014 (7:53 AM).
                nesinomics's Avatar
                nesinomics nesinomics is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Jun 2014
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Timid
                  Posts: 63
                  Hey there atheist joining in! Just coming to say there are more Atheists in the world than what some people think.
                    #73    
                  Old July 29th, 2014 (1:09 AM). Edited July 29th, 2014 by Raging Umbreon.
                  Raging Umbreon's Avatar
                  Raging Umbreon Raging Umbreon is offline
                  Pkmn Trainer
                     
                    Join Date: Jul 2014
                    Location: Canada
                    Age: 26
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Serious
                    Posts: 48
                    Hi there I'm an Atheist and I'd like to join this club.
                    __________________
                      #74    
                    Old July 29th, 2014 (9:11 PM).
                    Phantom's Avatar
                    Phantom Phantom is offline
                    Uh, I didn't do it
                    • Crystal Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2011
                    Location: Minnesota
                    Age: 26
                    Gender: Female
                    Nature: Brave
                    Posts: 1,194
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by nesinomics View Post
                    Hey there atheist joining in! Just coming to say there are more Atheists in the world than what some people think.
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Raging Umbreon View Post
                    Hi there I'm an Atheist and I'd like to join this club.
                    Welcome to both of you!

                    General topic question, away~!

                    Are you 'out' with your atheism? Do you mention it in your real life, outside the internet? Or are you a closet 'internet' atheist?
                      #75    
                    Old July 29th, 2014 (11:03 PM).
                    Shiny Bunnelby's Avatar
                    Shiny Bunnelby Shiny Bunnelby is offline
                    Tolerated, but never celebrated.
                       
                      Join Date: Jul 2014
                      Location: Oklahoma, United States
                      Age: 25
                      Gender: Female
                      Nature: Sassy
                      Posts: 362
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

                      Are you 'out' with your atheism? Do you mention it in your real life, outside the internet? Or are you a closet 'internet' atheist?
                      Every person, who knows me well enough, is aware of my stance on religion. Otherwise, I won't mention it unless it is relevant.
                      __________________
                      "I call dis 'Flight of the Bunnelby'."
                      4699-7220-5840
                       
                      Quick Reply

                      Sponsored Links
                      Thread Tools

                      Posting Rules
                      You may not post new threads
                      You may not post replies
                      You may not post attachments
                      You may not edit your posts

                      BB code is On
                      Smilies are On
                      [IMG] code is On
                      HTML code is Off

                      Forum Jump


                      All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:57 PM.