• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[BOOK 1 BEGUN] Book Club

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Culture and Media Book Club

Welcome to C&M's Book Club! Here you will find fun and hopefully stimulating conversation on books for everyone who cares to join. It's easy and fast to join, even if you're jumping in mid-book! Here's a quick start for those jumping in mid-book:

» Acquire the book.
    » Check out the chapter summaries in this first post - I'll be sure to either find some online or write some up so those behind can at least get the idea of what's happening plot-wise.
    » Read the current chapter and discuss! You're more than welcome to do it the long way by reading everything we've already read, but this way you don't have to do a ton of work just to participate.​
    Current Book/Chapter

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Chapters 1 and 2

Summary of past chapters:​

Prologue

Spoiler:

Chapter 1

Spoiler:

Chapter 2

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Oooh, The Princess Bride! I've seen the movie multiple times but never read the book; that would be a good choice. Alanna: The First Adventure sounds really good as well, I'm not sure which one I want! Ultimately, I've never read any of those books so I'm fine with whichever one wins. ^^

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • Alanna: The First Adventure. I miss good adventure stories; most of the books I've read were either dark or romance-themed.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is my favourite book of all-time. Easily takes my vote.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    The Princess Bride is a pretty awesome book, but one that I've already read. I've heard some great things about Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children so I'm definitely voting for that one. (plus, semi-spooky books are always good)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    First choice: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
    If not: Alanna: The First Adventure.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I've also heard good things about Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children so my vote is for that one.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I'm gonna vote Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children since I've been meaning to read that for a really long time anyway! All of these seem pretty interesting though.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Alanna! That one sounds really interesting. Although I've only read the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, I think any of them would be good!

Lozz

meow meow meow <3
    Years
  • Obviously my vote would be for "Into Thin Air"... but since that isn't an option; The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night, because I've read all the others.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • My vote goes for Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children.

I want to reread The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time too, so I wouldn't mind it at all. In fact, it isn't getting enough love here. Believe me guys, it is a wonderful book. One of my all time favorites. It is a must read.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Yay! Looks like Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has won! I'm so excited, I've never read it before!

If you can't check the book out of a library or buy it yourself, PM me and I'll hook you up. :) Since there are eleven chapters, how about we start with the first two for this week? Finish it at your own pace (I don't have anything real to do for the next few days so I'll probably be done fairly fast haha) and then we can discuss!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    As promised, I finished reading the first two chapters really quick because I can already tell this is going to be a good read and updated the first post with the summaries!

Thoughts:

I can't figure out yet whether this is going to be a fantasy novel or a novel about WWII. I don't want to read ahead because I want to be able to speculate, but the book is definitely doing a good job or putting us in the confusion in Jacob's head by wavering between "it's real" "it's not real" "it's real" over and over. It's also tapping into the tradition of fairy tales in a world that doesn't believe - kids that are told the stories, don't believe them, and then realize as an adult that they're real. I'll be interested to see if it's invoking that tradition to follow it or subvert it.

The other thing that I found interesting was the implication already that Jacob is going to be out of contact on this island with the outside world - there's a narrative theory of the "green world", the world where children leave their parents and deal with conflict, coming out of it adults ready to live their own lives. I suspect that, although his father is coming with him, we won't be seeing too much of him in the story.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Sorry it took a while! I started and finished the first two chapters today :)

The version I read online included the pictures - not sure if this was in all versions - and some of them definitely looked a little creepy, which I think added to the story quite a bit.

It's also tapping into the tradition of fairy tales in a world that doesn't believe - kids that are told the stories, don't believe them, and then realize as an adult that they're real. I'll be interested to see if it's invoking that tradition to follow it or subvert it.

I always like it when books use this theme, because when kids reach the age of not believing anymore they usually look back and think, "Yeah, there's no WAY I believed those were true when I was little." So it's always great to have them go back.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Oh no! I had no idea we started already.
    I'll get the book next time I go to Target, which should probably be either tonight or tomorrow and catch up and maybe keep going depending on how good it gets!!

Back