• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#22: Truth and Ideals

Which is your favorite?

• Total voters
Years
  • Welcome to another Pokémon Poll of the Week here in the aptly named Pokemon Polls board! As usual, make sure to follow all PC and PP rules, especially:
    Expand on your answers! Don't just tell us that Pikachu is your favorite Pokémon- tell us why! If you're just listing or giving very short answers, your post may be up for a warning or an infraction.
    Our poll question this week came from nidoking76, who'll be recieving a special emblem for his contribution. If you'd like to get an emblem of your own, feel free to leave me a VM with your poll idea(s), or leave it with your post in this thread. I haven't gotten any suggestions in a few weeks, so even though I've got a few on hand, it'd be nice to hear more from you guys! With that out of the way though, this week's poll question is:

Do you prefer the truth-seeking Reshiram, or the idealist Zekrom?

Pretty simple question this week, so feel free to let us know which one you prefer. With that said, let the voting begin!

Years
  • I do love the designs of both, but I think Zekrom is the one that wins here for me. I like Electric-types slightly better than Fire-types, and the blue electricity is really beautiful in my opinion. Also, if I was an actual trainer in Unova I'd definitely follow ideals more than truth.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • It's Reshiram for me. While Zekrom does admittedly look better to me than Reshiram does, Reshiram's movepool, stats and typing made it a lot better in my eyes than Zekrom did. Something about Dragon/Fire typing just seems really awesome to me, and Reshiram's monstrous Special Attack and movepool that makes great use of that stat makes it quite the threat, competitive or not.

Also, Turboblaze just sounds like a scary ability in comparison to Teravolt.

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
    Years
  • Nice idea Nido! But as I know, Reshiram rules! Who's cooler and stronger fused with Kyurem? Reshiram people! Just look at my avatar! See the beautiful beast there? He my favorite legendary buddy! Plus, he rules in Pokemon Conquest! Blue Flare hits and burns targets to oblivion! That's why my vote goes to him! Reshiram rules people!

Years
  • I used to like Zekrom more, but for a while Reshiram has been my pick of the two. Its design is more regal and fitting of a legendary, and I like its signature moves more. Blue Flare looks so amazing, and the Dragon/Fire-typing fits together well.

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
    Years
  • No. Reshiram is cooler because truth is reality while ideals aren't as serious as truth. Like the Candor people from Divergent said, Truth makes us inextricable. Plus, compare the moves using Conquest:

Reshiram's Blue Flare hits a good range with an awesome power!

Zekrom's Bolt Strike hits only on range, so you have to wait a couple of turns.

Years
  • When BW came out, I immediately preferred Reshiram to Zekrom due to its typing and design. I also thought its signature moves were pretty cool. As for Zekrom, I wasn't too fond of it design-wise; I did like its signatures moves, though, plus its cry seems Godzilla-esque to me XD Anyway, Zekrom began to grow on me with the advent of BW2. I thought Kyurem-B was much better looking than Kyurem-W, and found that Kyurem-B is a beast in competitive battle. Of course, that's Kyurem and not Zekrom, but it does need Zekrom in order to become Kyurem-B. After BW2, I began to appreciate Zekrom more, and I found its design more likable than I previously did. I still like Reshiram a lot, but Zekrom gets my vote.

Years
  • Reshiram's design, typing, signature move, and Kyurem form are all superior to it's Zekrom counterparts in my opinion. I'm patiently awaiting Zekrom to respond to this thread though. I expect quite the tl;dr :]

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm patiently awaiting Zekrom to respond to this thread though. I expect quite the tl;dr :]
    XD
    You're all getting a slightly modifed copy-paste of my reasoning as to why I like Zekrom from my thread in the Member Encyclopedia:

For starters, dragons are my favorite mythical creature (and so also my favorite Pokemon type). I find them to be interesting; they appear in multiple cultures with varying (and usually cool looking) appearances and meanings. In some cultures they represent power and wisdom, while in others they represent evil. Visually speaking, I've always like the appearance of black dragons more than any other dragon color. And Zekrom is black, so...

More specifically about Zekrom itself, I love it partly because of its role in Black/White. Black and White had the best story of any Pokemon game, imo, and the fact that Zekrom is a major part of that story just makes me like it even more. What I also like about it is what it represents on a broad scale: the duality of all things. The whole Yin/Yang, truth vs ideals thing that Zekrom and Reshiram have going. It's a fascinating concept to me, that seemingly opposing things are actually part of a greater whole, and both need the other in order to exist. It even jives a bit with part of my world view that things are almost never Black and White (derp, see what I did there?), but are usually a mix of both things. That's often how things are in reality.
    Seriously, how many Pokemon represent something so deep sounding?

Zekrom is also great for battle. So is Reshiram, but what Zekrom has over it is the fact that it is one of the very few physical Electric attackers in the game (Electric is my 4th favorite type, btw). The vast majority of Electric types are specially based, so its easy to counter them in general with special walls. Not the case with Zekrom though. And while it misses out on being neutral to Fairy like Reshiram, its one of the only Pokemon in Ubers to resist Flying, and can easily threaten titans like Lugia, Ho-oh, and Kyogre with the strongest Electric attack in the game, STAB Bolt Strike. Hell, Bolt Strike 2HKOs the majority of the Pokemon in the Uber tier. It does suck that both its STABs have Pokemon with immunities to it, and its movepool is a bit lacking, by hey, you can't get everything.

I also don't hate Reshiram; I like it too (and Kyurem, I really like it as well). Sometimes I get the feeling that people assume I dislike the rest of the Tao Trio because Zekrom's my favorite.

Also, the ironic thing here is that I'm more of a realist and not an idealist.

J2a1m1i2e

Moon Princess In Training
    Years
  • While I do prefer Fire over Electricity, obtained Reshiram first and prefer Reshiram's design, I definitely prefer Zekrom. Zekrom uses two of my favourite colours as it's colour scheme, and it's signature moves are just cooler to me :P So yeah, colour and moves won over nostalgia, design and normal preference :P

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm not much of an expert on their background, but personally, I prefer Zekrom. Design-wise, it looks a lot better to me; its body seems to be tad bulkier, and by looking at its facial expression, you could tell how confident it is. Plus, it's black-colored, which is very rare among dragon-type Pokémon. I've never used it competitively, so in terms of that, I have no idea how good or bad it is. It's banned to Ubers, but sadly, I don't play that tier. If I had, I definitely would have given it a shot. I did try it in-game once before, though, and did like it.

As far as Reshiram goes, it's honestly not bad. Only thing I dislike about this Pokémon is fur; furs don't go along with dragons very well. Well, at least in my opinion, anyway. However, this Pokémon we're talking about, so I suppose anything is possible.

Years
  • Reshiram for me because I love the smooth sleek white design and the fact that its dragon typing combines with Fire, my favourite :) I ended up buying both Black and White 2 versions cause Reshiram was in both lol xD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think I prefer to follow ideals rather than seek ultimate truth, but design-wise I like Reshiram a bit more. It's a tie, perhaps, but I vote for Reshiram still because I was really happy when we got a fire/dragon pokémon!

Years
  • Reshiram. They look pretty cool, which was the point of me buying that particular Pokémon game XD though the fuzzy dragon thing was a bit unique

Years
  • Ooh, very close vote this week, though I can't say I'm surprised.

Personally, my vote went to Zekrom. Seeing how most Dragon Pokemon are already capable of learning Fire type moves, it didn't seem all that impressive when Reshiram's typing was revealed as Dragon/Fire. Sure, it was unique, but I'd take Dragon/Electric over that any day. All typing aside though, Reshiram was kinda... ruined for me by someone. I liked Zekrom more to begin with, but that just put the icing on the cake :p

Anyway, that wraps up another POTW! Remember though, polls remain open even if the thread is no longer stickied, so continue voting and posting your answers if you haven't already. The next POTW should be up sometime in the near future, so keep an eye out for that!

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • Zekrom for me. He as a sleeker, black design, and his blue electricity is awesome. He can also make mir use to Dragon STAB's like Outrage and Dragon Claw, because he is more physically offensive. He also has one killer Volt Tackle and Switch.

Also he is an idealist.......so yeah.

Back