• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#23: Teenage Mutant Ninja Pokémon

Which turtle pokémon is your favorite?

• Squirtle, Wartortle and/or Blastoise

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Shuckle

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Torkoal

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Turtwig, Grotle and/or Torterra

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Tirtouga and Carracosta

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    tumblr_lkugdo0Sho1qhqyzdo1_250.png

Welcome to another Pokémon Poll of the Week here in the aptly named Pokemon Polls board! As usual, make sure to follow all PC and PP rules, especially:
    Expand on your answers! Don't just tell us that Pikachu is your favorite Pokémon - tell us why! If you're just listing or giving very short answers, your post may be up for a warning or an infraction.​

Our poll question this week came from rom hunter, who'll be recieving a special emblem for his contribution. If you'd like to get an emblem of your own, feel free to leave me a VM with your poll idea(s), or leave it with your post in this thread.

With that out of the way though, this week's poll question is:

Which one of the turtle-like pokémon is your favorite?

There are several pokémon who resemble a turtle or tortoise, from different generations. If I forgot someone that you think fit into that category, you are of course welcome to remind me. Let the voting begin!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Haha, this is the best thread title ever. Anyway, my favorite would have to be the original turtle family, Squirtle, Wartortle, and Blastoise. They're all unique in-design, yet simple; they don't look as complex as latter ones. To top it all off, Blastoise is also pretty fun to use when it comes to battling. I've had it on my team in Pokémon Y for months, and it was always a great member. Its defenses are high, and when it mega-evolves, they become even higher, and make an amazing wall.

Second favorite would have to be Turtwig, Grotle, and Torterra. Like above, they're pretty great, but only thing that I dislike is how much the Pokémon grows from middle-stage when evolving. If you compare Grotle and Torterra side-by-side, you'd notice that latter is much, much more huge. If it were a little smaller, I suppose, then it, to me, would have made more sense.

As for third, that one is Tirtouga and Carracosta.

Years
  • I like both Turtwig and Tirtuoga's evolution lines. The former for being a cool jungle-based tanky thing with an interesting typing (I do like Safari feels), and the latter because Tirtuoga is just so funny and derby and then evolves into a more badass looking turtle, and can use Curse or Shell Smash for kicks.

Years
  • I actually would have voted for Shuckle but I couldn't on principal since I'm pretty sure that it's based on a snail not a turtle.

As for what I did vote on...

Torterra's line - I love its design and its typing. It's a really unique and interesting pokemon and in-game it's a monster.

Blastoise's line - I have to admit anything that it is a lot more viable competitively than Torterra. Beyond that though there's some decent designs going on in here as well as one of the best designed mega-evolutions. In fact, mega-Blastoise is pretty much why I voted for this line.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Can I go with "all pretty equal"

None of the turtle Pokemon have ever really stood out to me. If I had to pick a favorite evolution out of all of them I'd say Wartortle for design. The rest have never been that memorable or exciting for me to use.

Years
  • Hmm... feels weird not voting at the end of the week, haha.

Anyway, I went with the Squirtle family and Shuckle as my favorite turtle-esque Pokemon. Squirtle's my favorite of the Kanto starters, largely in part due to Ash's Squirtle and the rest of the Squirtle Squad. I was also happy to see that we got to pick a Kanto starter in X/Y, so it was an easy choice for me to pick Squirtle.

As for Shuckle, I loved being able to give it Berries and Berry Juice to hold back on Gold, and it would eventually turn into Rare Candies. That was about the only reason I kept Shuckie in my party, but it's a shame that we didn't see that mechanic outside of the 2nd gen. Still, that was enough to give it a vote, though I'd still put it well behind Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise as my favorite turtle Pokemon.

Years
  • I really like Torkoral and Turtwig line. Torkoral i really like it's design. Turtwig line is the only gen 4 starter line i like.

Squirtle line is so overrated IMO. As for Shuckle, i don't really like it's design. Tirtouga is a gen 5 Pokemon, and just like most of gen 5 Pokemon it doesn't look good.

Ponyta

Diamond Hooves
    Years
  • I love the squirtle line. Their forms are cool throughout, and Blastoice is the only Mega pokemon that I use in a pinch. They've all been reliant and sturdy pokemon for me

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Voted for the Squirtle line and Shuckle, even though the latter is not a turtle.
    What is it then? :p I saw other people counting it as a turtle-like creature, so I put it into the poll anyways.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Torterra and Carracosta for me. They look better and make me fell like I'm using a really good Pokemon, even though they aren't that great competitively. Shell Smash Carracosta can wallbreak at midgame but that's about it.

Also, Turtwig is adorable.

Years
  • I voted for Torkoal as my favourite tortoise cause I prefer its typing as well as design (love the wee black ring around its neck that looks like a choker!) :) I also have more of an attachment to it cause I remember using it in an Emerald playthrough :)

I also like Wartortle, Tirtouga and Turtwig, mainly for design although I've used the latter two before :)

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
    Years
  • It just has to be Turtwig stage! He's so cute! Plus, I'm a ground type lover and Torterra follows my expectations of them! Plus, with Wood Hammer, Earthquake, and Frenzy Plant, which foe will live another day? His wicked special attack, such a galore. Plus, He can beat up all the choices above:

For the Squirtle stage + Tirtouga stage: Wood Hammer

For Torkoal: Earthquake

For Shuckle: Stone Edge

Turtwig/Grotle/Torterra rules!

Years
  • Please don't hate me but...I never like Blastoise! One of my 3 least favorite starters!
    Wartortle is actually a favorite intermediate stage though. Alas, no vote.

Torkoal...no evolution, boring, even though there are only three option for fire pokemon, I always go with Blaziken or Camerupt! No vote.

Carracosta, like the giant sea turtle fossil concept...but, I don't love it by any means. Definitely not disliked as the other two pokemon line listed.

Shuckle...I don't know. Technicalities aside, I deem it to not be a real turtle, I just wish I liked it more. He is sort of cute. He just reminds me of pasta/noodles for some odd reason. No vote.

Okay, now Torterra is a different story. I'm not sure if other cultures share this folklore, but Native Americans, which I am, actually have a great flood story. The giant turtle formed a grassy land to save the inhabiting animals from drowning. I love the tree and mossy spiked shell. That's saying alot from a person that usually doesn't like tough/bulky pokemon. I love Torterra, so organic and intriguing! Wins my vote :)

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
    Years
  • I went with Turtwig/Grotle/Torterra. Although Grotle is kinda meh for me, I adore the other two. Twiggy's adorable and so is Torterra for some reason, haha! It's actually one of my favorite final stages.

As for the others on the list, the only one I don't really like is Blastoise. I love Squirtle, but Blastoise cost the vote for me. Shuckle's cute and great fun to use in battle, Torkoal's alright, and Tirtouga/Carracosta have this charm to them (also they were in my very first Gen V in-game team).

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Gotta go with the originals (I'm not a genwunner) espcially since I loved Ash's Squirtle and the Squirtle Squad.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I like the Squirtle line. They all have nice designs and they aren't so bad in battle too!

Years
  • I went with Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise, as Blastoise is probably my most used starter Pokémon.

I also love the Squirtle Squad... <3

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    I chose Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise, for two reason: First, nostalgia. Squirtle was my first starter ever, so it's very special to me.
    The second reason is that I'm simply not a big fan of the others xD I don't like Shuckle's design, Torkoal annoys me for some reason, Tirtouga's fine but I think they tried too much to make Carracosta look "cool".
    I like Turtwig and its evolutions, but not as much as Squirtle.

Back