• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Bagon, the Dragon-type pseudo-legend line that aspires to fly

Years
Bagon was a Dragon-type Pokémon introduced in Ruby and Sapphire that proceeds to evolve into Shelgon at Level 30, and then at Level 50 it turns into the Dragon/Flying-type Salamence, which comes with a whopping 135 base Attack and 110 base Special Attack. This one cannot be found until your adventure nears its end, in Meteor Falls with Waterfall, in a very small room where you can get TM02 for Dragon Claw. Bagon's Pokédex entries speak of how it longs to fly in the skies, and once it becomes Salamence, it can do just that.

Did you ever catch Bagon and use it on your team, whether it be late in the adventure when you can get it or in the post-game? Discuss.

Years
I know I had a Shelgon, I dont remember evolving it. Evoliving this kind of Pokemon requires patience, and I lose all of it by the time I get to the end. I just want to beat the Elite Four and get over it. Plus I usually have a 6-member team formed by the time I get to Bagon.
Still, Salamence is one of my faves in the Hoenn region.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I believe I caught it after I beat the Elite Four. I didn't know it was above that waterfall and just rushed to the Elite Four and checked out those HM accessible areas later. Then I did catch one, but it never got further than a Shelgon. I think Salamence is a cool Pokémon, but there are so many cool Pokémon, so training one hasn't that high priority to me, certainly because I already have a strong dragon, Dragonite.

Years
Bagon was one of the most elusive Pokemon to me in this game and I was always excited to go find one. <3 My friend and I would capture and train our own despite how slow its experience growth was, and it was insanely helpful in the games. Dragon Claw and Crunch were lifesavers. Mine usually had a moveset of Dragon Claw, Crunch, Fly, and Brick Break or Headbutt.. grew so used to those moves and would constantly re-use them on new Bagons I captured later.

Years
I was never able to find a Bagon, because I never knew about the fact they were only in that one secret room. But it's still a great Pokemon to use when you get it, and it evolves into the powerful Salamence so it's always a nice addition to your team.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
When I first saw Salamence for the first time, I kinda fell in love with the design, haha. Saw it evolved from Shelgon, but I didn't realize that Shelgon itself evolved from Bagon.. which I've only found out from battling against a random trainer. That said, I had noooo idea where to find it; sure it was found in the meteor cave, but I had no idea exactly where? So I ended up looking it up in one of those pokemon guidebooks and saw it was only found in a specific area in the cave, soo.. yeah. Took some time, but found and caught one at last!

I've used the Bagon family in all my Ruby playthroughs ever since, but unfortunately, it can only be captured pretty late in the game. ;; Still though, it's really strong and handy to have! Still love using it as a Pokemon that can fly~

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I only used it once in Emerald. I can't remember if Emerald let's you access Bagon earlier, but I'm going to guess no? Anyway I think it was worth the wait as Salamence is a really fun and usable Pokemon. I just hate grinding late in the game ya know?

shayminskyforme88

Collecting Events
Years
I didn't know much about some Pokemon back then so I would go look for them when I heard about them from my classmates. Bagon is one of them. I kept looking for it until I found it. I didn't add it to my team though, just evolved it for dex purposes.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Similar to Beldum, it can be only accessed late game. But I recall breeding for one and using her in my Sapphire rerun for XY countdown. Ryoko wasn't actually that tough as a Bagon or Shelgon, her true powers finally showed when she grew a pair of wing. :')

GengyGengar

Sp00py
Years
I've only ever used Salamence once, in a recent playthrough of Pokemon Ruby. It was a Nuzlocke, but I sorta cheated and used Repels every time I went to Meteor Falls. When I got to the Bagon room, I was silently praying I would find one, and I actually managed to. I remember shouting out and jumping for joy. I swiftly caught it and spent plenty of time training him up. His name was Japan, and he pretty much carried my team through the E4 when a couple of members fell (I will never forget you Strider the Sceptile and Rose the Swellow). Unfortunately, he fell to the might of Steven Stone, along with the rest of my team. But Dragon Claw, Fly, Flamethrower and Crunch was a deadly moveset that could mow down almost anything. One of my favourite Pokemon I've ever used in-game, I must admit.

Back