• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Roleplay Corner is intimidating!!"

Melody

Banned
Years
I... don't really understand. Interaction and investment kind of are the heart and soul of forum roleplaying, at least here. We easily become passionate about roleplays we create or join and want to invest a lot of time and thought in it. Without interaction, the writing becomes (fan)fiction, so interaction is crucially a huge part of it all. Of course one cannot be passionate about everything in life, but roleplaying is very fun if you dive deep into it :)

But we don't disallow more casual RPs with simpler sign up procedures and loose plots or short timespans, not at all :) And you certainly don't have to write out a novel each time you post. 100 words isn't that much, this post has already reached longer.

And like Ice says, we're not a closed off community that frowns at newcomers at least. I hope :3

Perhaps...that passion is what makes such a thing daunting. People tend to become fiercer around things they are passionate about, it's only natural. To someone sensitive because they are new or perhaps unsure of their efforts then, passion might be misread. That misread passion makes interaction a lot more difficult sometimes.

Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023
Perhaps...that passion is what makes such a thing daunting. People tend to become fiercer around things they are passionate about, it's only natural. To someone sensitive because they are new or perhaps unsure of their efforts then, passion might be misread. That misread passion makes interaction a lot more difficult sometimes.

do you mean interaction in-character or out-of-character then? admittedly i find interacting with others intimidating at times too, especially with the close-knit group of RPT regulars. and it can certainly be frustrating to be writing alongside experienced writers who pump out several 1000-word posts a week. still, i think a certain standard of quality needs to be maintained in forum roleplaying - writing as listed in rules 10 and 11 i think are better suited for chat-based roleplaying, i'd say.

so, maybe it'd be good to create a place for more casual roleplayers? i would have said 'beginners', but i don't think everyone is actually interested in becoming better, haha. it could be done by allowing GMs to add a special label to their roleplay that allow less-than-100-word posts, or by creating a special Casual-Only Journey RP in the style of Stars of Sinnoh and Begin Again, with simple sign-up procedures, or something. would that close the gap a little?

Last edited:
Years
do you mean interaction in-character or out-of-character then? admittedly i find interacting with others intimidating at times too, especially with the close-knit group of RPT regulars. and it can certainly be frustrating to be writing alongside experienced writers who pump out several 1000-word posts a week. still, i think a certain standard of quality needs to be maintained in forum roleplaying - writing as listed in rules 10 and 11 i think are better suited for chat-based roleplaying, i'd say.

so, maybe it'd be good to create a place for more casual roleplayers? i would have said 'beginners', but i don't think everyone is actually interested in becoming better, haha. it could be done by allowing GMs to add a special label to their roleplay that allow less-than-100-word posts, or by creating a special Casual-Only Journey RP in the style of Stars of Sinnoh and Begin Again, with simple sign-up procedures, or something. would that close the gap a little?

We used to allow people to search for casual PM or chat-based RPs through the DCC but now that the DCC has been replaced by the start-up pad that's not exactly an option. I might go make a thread for that in a bit perhaps.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
We used to allow people to search for casual PM or chat-based RPs through the DCC but now that the DCC has been replaced by the start-up pad that's not exactly an option. I might go make a thread for that in a bit perhaps.
"Recruit a casual RP friend"

Melody

Banned
Years

Yes that would help the gap a little bit. Especially if New RPs could be created with the casual style that has some relaxed rules, namely the rule numbers I listed.

As for interaction I mean both IC and OOC

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'm inclined to agree, though that may be because the kind of roleplaying I do is definitely more casual than it is here. But at the same time it allows or seems to allow for more communication ICly which is what I really look for when it comes to roleplaying. I can't really see myself being able to develop a character and traveling with them in their story if they aren't really communicating with others. And I mean, it does happen but it's in a form that I'm uncertain of?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
So is that a yes to making the "recruit a casual RP friend" thread?
Hmmmm. I don't like people luring people away from PC's activity, but there's no other place to find RP buddies on here so. I guess it would be alright. Just make sure to state that they can't link to other roleplay sites or discuss it here, and should stick to PMs if they want to set things up.

Years
Hmmmm. I don't like people luring people away from PC's activity, but there's no other place to find RP buddies on here so. I guess it would be alright. Just make sure to state that they can't link to other roleplay sites or discuss it here, and should stick to PMs if they want to set things up.

My hope is that these filthy casual RPers will go for the thread and stay for the RPT.

Disclaimer: The stuck-out text in the above sentence is for humour purposes only and does not reflect the actual opinions of the writer.
Disclaimer 2: The above was also intended to be somewhat humorous.

Edit: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=349418
All of you interested in casual RPing should go to that thread and make casual RP friends.

Last edited:
Back