• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Magic & Superpowers

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    A common theme in RPs is the existence of more than natural powers granted to the player. Characters posses all kinds of superpower and abilities. Do you enjoy the spellslinging, superpowered setting, or do you rather play as unpowered, human, characters?

Years
  • I think special abilities are a part of the fun of RPing and exploring these fantastical worlds but are by no means a necessity for enjoying every RP.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I love magic and superpowers and all that *-* especially if there's a unique take on them rather than just an open field. Gunpowder does well for that but I've always been too lazy to join.

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
    Years
  • Yes, there is something fun about writing characters that have special abilities, because hey, who wouldn't want to be able to shoot fire from their hands, or stop time with on command?

The gunpowder conversion is still happening :0

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I find it very, _very_ difficult to enjoy a RP with characters which don't have superpowers. A lot of the time a character's powers determine their personality, so unless they're a very special/quirky person (for example, my regular 5-year-old Elliott from Railways) it's hard for me to find the RP fun.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    You sure do like making threads, huh? :P

As for me, I like both characters with superpowers and character without. It really depends on the setting though.

BlueDogXL

The bluest dog out there!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2017
    I do enjoy unpowered characters but mix them with superpeeps/Mary Sues and they pale in comparison.

Years
  • Personally, I love magic and superpowers. But I have issues with power levels (no, not like in DBZ). My characters often seem to be less powerful, so I have to either get creative or take a backseat. It happens to me more often than not, and I'm not sure why, which makes me reluctant to join, knowing in my mind I will eventually be overshadowed.

If everyone is a regular human, this doesn't happen nearly as often. My characters remain relevant and interesting as long as I can write my interactions well. The story is less dependent on cool powers, and more on good role-playing and storytelling.

Years
  • Personally, I love magic and superpowers. But I have issues with power levels (no, not like in DBZ). My characters often seem to be less powerful, so I have to either get creative or take a backseat. It happens to me more often than not, and I'm not sure why, which makes me reluctant to join, knowing in my mind I will eventually be overshadowed.

If everyone is a regular human, this doesn't happen nearly as often. My characters remain relevant and interesting as long as I can write my interactions well. The story is less dependent on cool powers, and more on good role-playing and storytelling.

I find that level systems and the like can easily mitigate this, but in a lot of cases this does limit creativity.

Years
  • I think that in general its hard to find a good balance with super power RPs. After all, if someone has the ability of stopping time or something, it becomes easy for that RPer to just write up "Oh, he stopped time and knocked everybody out and won. Yay."

It either requires everybody to be overpowered together or for everyone to work in drawbacks for their powers. Also superpowers seem to lead to very stereotypical characters, their entire personality being defined by their powers sometimes leading to lazy character writing.

Not that I don't like superpower RPs, I love them. I just think it takes some good writers with a respect for balance and each other when it comes to fights and character creation.

Back