• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Romance

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Romance is the spice of life, if you like your life seasoned or not, is up to you. In a roleplay, you create the lives of your character, and with that can come romance. How much romance do you like in your RPs? Do you want heavily romance based stories, or maybe you indeed use it as seasoning. Who knows, maybe you don't even go near it. Tell us about it.

Years
  • Romance in RPs doesn't bother me (within reason) but for some reason I never do find my characters taking that kind of a route.

Years
  • I'm pretty much the same as Pie. It usually doesn't bother me if other people do it in RPs, unless they go way over the top with it. That being said, I have been in some roleplays where when romance is involved, you need some kind of chart to keep track of who likes who and such.

That being said, I never really involve my characters in any romance. Perhaps thats because I never play roleplays where romance makes sense. "Oh, hey, look at that giant death god trying to kill us and the entire world. Speaking of end of the world, you're pretty hot!" Yeah.....I feel there are better uses for your time anonymous character.

StinkomanFan

The Thing with Questionable Taste
    Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2015
    I ABHOR romance. I've hated romantic sub-plots and romantic movies since they first popped up in movies. They seem obnoxious and aimless when done poorly and they're ALWAYS done poorly. I try to avoid romance as much as possible, really.

Years
  • I ABHOR romance. I've hated romantic sub-plots and romantic movies since they first popped up in movies. They seem obnoxious and aimless when done poorly and they're ALWAYS done poorly. I try to avoid romance as much as possible, really.

Does your opinion change in settings where romance makes more sense, or is the whole point?

StinkomanFan

The Thing with Questionable Taste
    Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2015
    Does your opinion change in settings where romance makes more sense, or is the whole point?

No, but my opinion does change after a long enough time has passed that we get to know the characters, that we see what, why, and how they work. Oftentimes films have too little time to do that properly, but roleplays, having all the time in the world, and books, that have hundreds of pages of interaction, do. I hate Romance in film, but I'm neutral in other settings. I probably should have said that before, but hindsight's 20/20 and all that.

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
    Years
  • For some reason I actually tend to love romance in stories...I just (like everyone else) find it's done well VERY rarely outside of literature. But in RPs I especially love it thanks to the genuine dynamic between characters written by two different people and the possibility of it never happening at all. Plus OOC shipping can be a lot of fun :P

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I don't want to make it the main focus since I'm mostly in it for the action, but it can definitely help to better develop both your and the love interest's characters. I can live without it though.

EternalSushi

Fresh for a lifetime.
    Years
    • Age 27
    • HK
    • Seen Sep 9, 2017
    Romance does create quite a bit of comic relief. I welcome it as long as it isn't overly forced or overly quick.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I've never, ever seen romance properly pulled off in an RP, but maybe it's just the RP's I've been in

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I haven't done properly developed romance in RPs, only hinted at it. I'm sort of scarred though, from the Roleplay Corner of old days when people tried to "commit the act" through one liner ICs and stuff. Yeah. I wish I had more eyesoap 8)

Years
  • I think that Foxrally and aeternum are doing a good job of developing potential romance between their characters in Gunpowder, how intertwined they are really adds to the stories of the two.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I prefer hinted at romance and slowly building crushes and such. I find sometimes relationships in roleplays (back before I roleplayed here) were really forced and people just playing out their real-life crushes rather than considering the position of their character.

But yeah, I think seeing a relationship bloom in a more natural sense is always good and adds.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I adore romance in roleplays but I cannot stand to see it be decided out of character. I like seeing the chemistry between characters play out over time, relationships developed in line with plot relevancy over dozens upon dozens of posts- rather than decided right from the get go after the few first encounters. It makes the relationship so much more worth it when the time and effort has been put into it.

I think it's definitely something that can be both the center of the entire purpose of the roleplay, and also the spice to an otherwise non-romantic storyline, but which form it takes depends on how things play out in-character. But deciding ships out of character or too early is basically a recipe for disaster, and it can be extremely suffocating in what you and your character are capable of doing afterwards. Plus it's important that not only do the characters mesh, but the creators have to mesh too- so it's definitely not something easily achieved. But then again, love never is, if reality is any indication haha! (foreveralone.jpeg)

edit: That said, I hate white picket fence romances. Snoozefest.

Last edited:

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
    Years
  • Very well said indeed folks, Loki and my dear Peter, I feel you've both hit the nail on the head for what I'd agree with. I only find OOC shipping fun when it's just "Oh wouldn't they be cute together" or "blah blah what if this happened" When it's actually decided OOC what would happen before things develop IC it completely ruins it.

Back