Released Pokémon Alabaster (2nd demo out now!!!)

Started by Alababal December 18th, 2015 8:31 AM
  • 395 replies

Alababal

Pokémon Alabaster Developer

Male
Vortelle Town
Seen September 2nd, 2019
Posted August 28th, 2019
101 posts
6.5 Years

Created using RPG Maker XP and Pokémon Essentials

Introduction
One day when I had a bit of free time on my hands, I decided that it would be fun to make a map in pokémon essentials. What I made would become the starting town in this game. As I mapped, ideas for an entire region sprang into my head, and the beginnings of a story soon followed. The plan was to spend a large portion of the game in a boarding school completing small quests (although I've somewhat abandoned this idea since in favor of region-wide exploration). Only once you gained significant strength would you return home. As I've developed the game the details of the story have come together, although I plan on making you guys play the game in order to figure out how that is turning out.

Story
The Nyejo region is renown for being home to many of the greatest minds in the world, with countless world-class trainers, scientists, and breeders. Regardless of their prospective careers however, children growing up in the region are encouraged to go to school in order to learn and understand the relationship between people and pokémon. Any who graduate before they turn 18 are allowed to roam the region as a trainer in order to gain an even stronger relationship and understanding with pokémon. Once you turn 18 you generally have three options. The first is finding a job, the second is going into a specialized field of study, and the third is making a living as a trainer. Relatively few are capable of sustaining a career as a trainer, but those who can are generally considered role models for society and as such are what youths aspire to become.

You are the son/daughter of a once world-famous scientist(your mother) and a successful trainer (your father). You are the youngest of three siblings, the other two of which have already left home and graduated to become trainers. You also have a childhood friend named Cirrus who has been by your side as long as you can remember. The story begins on your 10th birthday, where you are allowed to pick one of three unique pokémon from your mom. She also gives Cirrus one. Not long afterward the two of you head over to Nyejo Academy for an extended stay.

In Pokémon Alabaster Version you will fight for recognition, learn about the world around you, find new rivals and new friends, explore a vast region, traverse harsh terrain, gain the trust of your pokémon, and strive to become the best that there ever was. Unravel the secrets about your past, and uncover the true threat that looms in the Nyejo Region.

Features
All pokémon available by final release
7th gen mechanics
An all-new storyline which varies slightly based on decisions
Exp level cap
Two strong rivals (story will continue, win or lose)
Rewards for filling out pokédex
A very large region with tons to explore
A dynamic modified weather system
23 custom moves
Custom music :)
Plans for Mega Evolution & HM items

Screenshots

Spoiler:

Media

Spoiler:

Theme For the Starting Town

Wild Pokemon Battle Theme

Subscribe to my youtube channel!

Notes

Mechanic Changes
Spoiler:

~The rate at which your pokémon gains happiness has been lowered and the rate at which they lose it has been increased, especially when your pokémon faints. If you don't work hard to please your pokémon it WILL NOT attain max happiness.

~Water, soda, and lemonade now boost happiness, but recover a smaller amount of health. Super repel works for 250 steps and max repel for 500 steps.

~The rate at which items sell for is 1/4 of their purchase price (not 1/2 like it is in the official games). Some items such as the nugget have had their prices raised to counteract this.

~Passability is a bit different in my game compared to the official games. If I started today I probably wouldn't do it the way I did, but I'm sticking with it now. If you want to complete the demo you will need to be comfortable walking under trees.

~There is a level cap in this game at:
19 before leaving the academy
25 before beating the first gym
32 before beating the second gym
38 before beating the third gym
44 before beating the fourth gym
49 before beating the fifth gym
54/55 through end of the second demo (I'll check to see what it is exactly later and modify)

If you reach the level cap your pokémon will gain no further experience.

(more will be added as necessary. There are additional changes planned and probably a thing or two I've forgotten about.)

Bugs
Spoiler:

~sometimes moves will throw an error message when they fail, then the opponent will try the same move again ~10 times with error messages each time. I know rn this happens when the opponent tries to use a trapping move on you when you're using a ghost type, but this error has shown up with other moves in the past that I've already fixed and will probably show up more as other people play. It's not an endless loop although it seems like it. If the opponent runs out of pp the loop will end.

I will add more as more bugs are found, and delete if they are fixed in the latest version of the demo.

Credits

Nintendo & Gamefreak
Poccil..................Pokémon Essentials
Maruno................Pokémon Essentials
TheGreatBlaid..............................Tileset
The-Red-eX..................................Tileset
WesleyFG....................................Tileset
Serbii...........Graphics & Development
Luka S.J..................Graphics & Scripts
-FL-..........................Graphics & Scripts
Klein Studio...........Graphics & Scripts
mej71............................................Scripts
~JV~..............................................Scripts

The above deserve special attention for the impact that they have had on this game, but please check out the full list which is paired with the demo. Every single contributor is indispensable in creating this game.

The second demo is out now!!!
Download

v. 0.6.4 Download (Mega)

Download the patch if you have a previous 0.6 version of the game

v. 0.6.4 Patch

5 gyms, around 20 hours of gameplay

Contact

Also, if you have a save that needs to be fixed, or other inquiries, contact me via email at
[email protected]

Alababal

Male
Vortelle Town
Seen September 2nd, 2019
Posted August 28th, 2019
101 posts
6.5 Years
So I decided to upload the demo today. You can find a link in the first post. I'll also copy the description from my youtube video since it works just as well here.

Took a little bit longer than I would have liked for several reasons. There are several bugs that I know about and probably many that I do not, but my general rule for this game is that I always should be pushing forward, and I have been stuck in one spot for long enough as it is.

Fair warning, this game was not originally going to be released. As such I didn't bother making the game strait forward, especially early on. If you get lost, find a phone and call the fortune teller. She should tell you what to do next. If you still are confused, make a comment in the video and I will help you when I can.

Bugs: Academy lags! Not sure why but after compiling the game that area started lagging for me. There might be other areas as well, I didn't play through the whole game.

Shadows follow you around! This happens sometimes in large maps. When I have more free time, and I feel compelled, I'll see if I can find a fix. Otherwise shadows will probably be removed in future releases.

Computer won't make a move! This usually happens when a computer tries to use the move round, but there are probably other moves as well. I don't consider this urgent, but again I will try to find a fix when I feel compelled.

If you find another bug please let me know.
It has been a blast making the game up until this point. I do it because I enjoy it. I hope you find playing it enjoyable as well.^^

champagnepapi

exile

Male
new england
Seen September 4th, 2016
Posted June 25th, 2016
1,795 posts
10.9 Years
Looks very cool, I will definitely try out the demo at some point. The screenshots and overworlds look pretty good from what you have posted; I think the only real gripe I have is that the textboxes could look a lot better. Generally, it's best to go with solid black on a white background or solid white on a dark grey background (like you have). Black on colored backgrounds and the text shadow on your white text don't really add much aesthetically. Other than that your game is looking promising; I especially enjoy the music. The theme on the video for your demo release is really nice.

paired to kaori & vrai
Male
The Elato Region
Seen May 26th, 2021
Posted January 12th, 2018
87 posts
6.1 Years
Hi!
I've been playing your game, and I'm stuck at Deep Woods. I talked to James and I left the abandoned house on Autumn wood. I have NO idea what to do, can you help me?

Thanks in advance!
Btw Awesome Game! :)
Introducing:
~Pokemon Stratus Dreams~
"Your dreams are forever limitless."
Check out my new project!{XD}
Coming soon!

Alababal

Male
Vortelle Town
Seen September 2nd, 2019
Posted August 28th, 2019
101 posts
6.5 Years
Hi!
I've been playing your game, and I'm stuck at Deep Woods. I talked to James and I left the abandoned house on Autumn wood. I have NO idea what to do, can you help me?

Thanks in advance!
Btw Awesome Game! :)
Team Tectonic hasn't shown up yet, right? After you talk to the guys guarding the deep wood, the story will continue once you get back to the academy. If you fainted you'll have to enter and exit the abandoned building once before the story continues.

If Team Tectonic has already shown up, then you have two options. You can either explore the deep woods, finishing the quest there, or you complete the series of riddles that start from the letter in your room. After doing either of those things you should head to the gym.

Thanks for asking as well. I realize parts of the game, especially early on, are a bit too vague. Something I'll have to work on fixing. :P
But yeah if you have any other questions please ask!
Male
Seen February 5th, 2017
Posted October 17th, 2016
34 posts
6.7 Years
I'm not sure if this was a glitch in the game or what but when i talk to the dude in the sand corner of the gym it glitches out..........check out the ending of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPSOzJGtlM
I Do Let's Plays on My Channel Check Them Out if You Want

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd0YLnge3ck0peE4ikP0DOg

Alababal

Male
Vortelle Town
Seen September 2nd, 2019
Posted August 28th, 2019
101 posts
6.5 Years
I'm not sure if this was a glitch in the game or what but when i talk to the dude in the sand corner of the gym it glitches out..........check out the ending of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPSOzJGtlM
Shoot. Yeah that's definitely a glitch. I'll have that fixed by the next update. Thanks for letting me know!

Alababal

Male
Vortelle Town
Seen September 2nd, 2019
Posted August 28th, 2019
101 posts
6.5 Years
Alright so it's been a few days, so I've put together a minor update which you can download from the first post. There are no story changes, only a few bug fixes. Still, if you haven't finished at the academy it might be a good idea to download the patch. If you haven't downloaded the game yet you don't have to worry about the patch since the updated version has replaced the old one.

Aside from that I've been working on the next part of the story. So I figure while I'm updating I'll share my newest map with you guys.

Spoiler:

This is the map for the lighthouse, which is located east of Nimagale Beach. It is NOT in the current demo, so don't go looking around for a lighthouse. The lighthouse also has an entrance, which doesn't show up on this map for some reason.

So yeah that's all I have for you guys right now. If you find any bugs or have any questions or comments, you know what to do. ^^

MontyBellum

Sarleeko

Female
Kentucky
Seen October 15th, 2016
Posted September 6th, 2016
40 posts
11 Years
So...I'm stuck.
I'm to the point of Autumn Woods and I've beaten everyone except the healer, but I still haven't battled my rival at all. I never saw him again after the dialogue in front of the dorms and I can't figure out where to go from where I am at.

Never mind the being stuck part, but I'm still curious about the rival.

Alababal

Male
Vortelle Town
Seen September 2nd, 2019
Posted August 28th, 2019
101 posts
6.5 Years
So...I'm stuck.
I'm to the point of Autumn Woods and I've beaten everyone except the healer, but I still haven't battled my rival at all. I never saw him again after the dialogue in front of the dorms and I can't figure out where to go from where I am at.

Never mind the being stuck part, but I'm still curious about the rival.
That particular battle is actually completely optional. After you first talk to him he goes back between the boys dorm and the back wall. But basically if you don't follow him the story will continue without him.

In fact, a lot of the first part of the game is completely optional. You don't have to help Danny either. But as for your rivalry with Cirrus, it doesn't really start with gusto until a bit later in the story. I have plans for an pretty interesting dynamic between you and Cirrus which even extend to a possible sequel (which I just want to finish this game tbh, but the ideas are there).

Also I'll go ahead and add that you actually get Cirrus in trouble if you battle him. He's actually not allowed to battle at that point in the story. Maybe I'll put in a treat or something for the people who refuse to battle him for his own good later in the game. {:3}
The choices that you make in this game can affect things later down the line. The story won't fork off too much (it takes too long to do a split story line) but make no mistake the choices and actions you take do matter (sometimes>_>)

Alababal

Male
Vortelle Town
Seen September 2nd, 2019
Posted August 28th, 2019
101 posts
6.5 Years
Really? I can't recreate that error at all. Mind telling me exactly where in the story you were? Did you already beat the first gym?

Also, if by chance you quick saved where you were stuck, I can get you out if you send me your save file.

MontyBellum

Sarleeko

Female
Kentucky
Seen October 15th, 2016
Posted September 6th, 2016
40 posts
11 Years
Really? I can't recreate that error at all. Mind telling me exactly where in the story you were? Did you already beat the first gym?

Also, if by chance you quick saved where you were stuck, I can get you out if you send me your save file.
It happened once before in the gym, but I just turned the game off, this time I saved while stuck to see if I'd be able to move afterwards.

This happened right after losing the battle with Team Tectonic, I was checking to see if that guy said anything else.

How do I send the save file?

Alababal

Male
Vortelle Town
Seen September 2nd, 2019
Posted August 28th, 2019
101 posts
6.5 Years
On your computer, if you go to the folder titled your name there should be a folder called "saved games" and in there a folder called "Pokémon Alabaster". If you could send the file in there called "game" to me either directly through the forums if you can, or to [email protected]

Also I have a general announcement. From what (admittedly little) that I've seen, the level curve is really just too steep going into the first and second gym. I want the gym leaders to be hard, but I don't want you to be underleveled going into them. The next update will address that. It will take a bit of time though, so I'm hoping to get that out within the next week or two, but no promises. Just out of curiosity though let me know if you've gotten past the first gym.

Involuntary Twitch

Oripoke

Female
USA
Seen December 10th, 2020
Posted September 2nd, 2019
658 posts
16 Years
I downloaded this game and have been playing it for about an hour now and overall, I have to say that it's really good and I'm enjoying it immensely. The level of attention paid to detail is really something else, and the maps are quite nice. I'll provide more feedback the further I get into the game. Right now I'm in Autumn Woods.
Male
Seen February 15th, 2016
Posted January 14th, 2016
10 posts
6.7 Years
I'm having the same problem as the guy above me. I successfully extracted the RAR, but when I tried to run the game.exe file, nothing happened. No prompt, no error message... nothin'. Running it as an admin didn't work, either. I also downloaded and extracted the patch to see if it'd work if I replaced the game.rgssad file already in the folder, but that proved fruitless, as well. I tried re-downloading the RAR and extracting it again, but encountered the problem once more.

Could you take a look at and maybe update the game download link?

Alababal

Male
Vortelle Town
Seen September 2nd, 2019
Posted August 28th, 2019
101 posts
6.5 Years
I downloaded this game and have been playing it for about an hour now and overall, I have to say that it's really good and I'm enjoying it immensely. The level of attention paid to detail is really something else, and the maps are quite nice. I'll provide more feedback the further I get into the game. Right now I'm in Autumn Woods.
Thanks! I do take pride in making the world as immersive as possible. Aside from maybe writing music I find mapping the most fun part of making this.

Hey i download the game but cant play it click on the game icon but it doesn't come up
I'm having the same problem as the guy above me. I successfully extracted the RAR, but when I tried to run the game.exe file, nothing happened. No prompt, no error message... nothin'. Running it as an admin didn't work, either. I also downloaded and extracted the patch to see if it'd work if I replaced the game.rgssad file already in the folder, but that proved fruitless, as well. I tried re-downloading the RAR and extracting it again, but encountered the problem once more.

Could you take a look at and maybe update the game download link?
An update will be coming soon (I want to say tomorrow but... we'll see). In the mean time you might want to make sure you don't have an antivirus or something like that blocking it.

Involuntary Twitch

Oripoke

Female
USA
Seen December 10th, 2020
Posted September 2nd, 2019
658 posts
16 Years
So I've been playing this game all day and having a great time of it. Unfortunately I just ran into an error that makes it impossible to progress. After beating the tournament at the school, I got the following RunTime Error:
Spoiler:
---------------------------
Pokémon Alabaster
Script 'Interpreter' line 276: RuntimeError occurred.

Script error within event 159, map 76 (Nyejo Academy):

Exception: NameError

Message: (eval):2:in `pbExecuteScript'uninitialized constant PBItems::PROTIEN

***Full script:

Kernel.pbReceiveItem(
PBItems::PROTIEN,1)

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1606:in `eval'

Interpreter:1606:in `command_355'

Interpreter:494:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Scene_Map:103:in `update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

OK

It looks like you made a typo in the spelling of "Protein".

I want to keep playing so this saddens me, especially because the game up until this point has been pretty much bug-free. Honestly I'm tempted to open it up in RMXP and tweak the event myself, just so I can progress, but the game is encrypted so I can't. Total bummer. :/

Edit: I realized that the tournament isn't actually necessary to progress in the game, so I skipped it and have now graduated from school! Grinding is tough... one way you could balance the game a little more is to up the EXP yield of certain Pokemon, such as Happiny. I think that would make it a lot easier to train, considering the NPC with a Happiny that you can rematch. I must've battled her about... 15 or 20 times, I think.

Alababal

Male
Vortelle Town
Seen September 2nd, 2019
Posted August 28th, 2019
101 posts
6.5 Years
So I've been playing this game all day and having a great time of it. Unfortunately I just ran into an error that makes it impossible to progress. After beating the tournament at the school, I got the following RunTime Error:
Spoiler:
Pokémon Alabaster
Script 'Interpreter' line 276: RuntimeError occurred.

Script error within event 159, map 76 (Nyejo Academy):

Exception: NameError

Message: (eval):2:in `pbExecuteScript'uninitialized constant PBItems::PROTIEN

***Full script:

Kernel.pbReceiveItem(
PBItems::PROTIEN,1)

Interpreter:1606:in `eval'

Interpreter:1606:in `command_355'

Interpreter:494:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Scene_Map:103:in `update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

OK

It looks like you made a typo in the spelling of "Protein".

I want to keep playing so this saddens me, especially because the game up until this point has been pretty much bug-free. Honestly I'm tempted to open it up in RMXP and tweak the event myself, just so I can progress, but the game is encrypted so I can't. Total bummer. :/

Edit: I realized that the tournament isn't actually necessary to progress in the game, so I skipped it and have now graduated from school! Grinding is tough... one way you could balance the game a little more is to up the EXP yield of certain Pokemon, such as Happiny. I think that would make it a lot easier to train, considering the NPC with a Happiny that you can rematch. I must've battled her about... 15 or 20 times, I think.
Saw this just in time to add it to the next update. Funny think is even if you win the tournament, there is only a 1 in seven chance of you getting the protein. So obviously I didn't catch it in my testing. But it should be fixed now. As for the second part, I may end up doing something like that. One thing I definitely want is to put in wild audino's on all of the grass routes like the gen 5 games.

The game won't even open for me.
I went ahead and redownloaded the old version since a bunch of people are saying this. Sure enough it works fine for me, so it's a problem on your end. Again make sure you don't take the game file out of the main folder and that you don't have an antivirus deleting any of the downloaded files.

I just updated the game to version 0.4.3, which I will put in the first post. The changes are listed below.

~Fixed the random shadows that follow you around sometimes. Credits to TheKojo for figuring it out.

~Fixed the bug with the move round (hopefully).

~Fixed the tournament bug noted above.

~Slightly nerfed gym leaders Pit and Ellise.

The level curve is not changed (just to note). I've decided to finish up gym four first, and then if I need to I'll figure out how to approach that part of the game with the next major update.
Male
Seen February 15th, 2016
Posted January 14th, 2016
10 posts
6.7 Years
I downloaded the newest version of the game, but the same thing as last time happened and I couldn't open it on my computer. However, I was able to get it to run when I used a different computer, albeit the game ran really slowly.

Here's a picture of what my main folder looks like in case there's any way you can figure out the problem: http://imgur.com/Mqh0QBt. I made sure not to touch anything after I extracted it, and I turned my antivirus off. I'm running Windows 8.1, and none of the available compatibility modes work either, if that helps.

I really hope that you can figure out a fix to this problem, as this looks like an entertaining game!