• 28 replies
PC
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
22 posts
6 Years

Hack of the Year 2015 - Results

Category Awards

From the results of the secret ballot in the nomination round, these are the hacks that have had the most votes in each category.

Pokémon Gaia has received the most votes in the ballot's Hack of the Year category, and also the greatest amount of votes from the first round!

And out of all the hacks in Sideshow Showcase, Red++ was voted the community's favourite!

Hack of the Year

A total of 5 judges have played each hack and rated it in four categories. The reviews and reasoning behind the ratings can be found in the thread here. The hack with the highest total rating in each category will get 3 points, the second will get 2, and the last 1. The hack with the highest total of points from each category is the Hack of the Year!

Here's the breakdown for each category:

Graphics

Storyline

Gameplay

General Appeal

Totals and points

Pokémon Gaia has won Hack of the Year, congratulations! Thanks to everyone for participating, and especially to the judges, and to Achromatic for designing this year's awards.

Congratulations to all the winners, and happy hacking!

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.

Male
In the Flax Fields.
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Hour Ago
1,196 posts
8.6 Years
Well deserved win for Gaia, was on a totally different level to the other hacks. Not to take anything away from those hacks. Just they were never going to get close to winning! Gratz to Red++ for showcase win and to Pokemon Life :D

chrunch

Male
Seen September 4th, 2019
Posted January 20th, 2018
1,350 posts
10.2 Years
Cant believe Adventure red got so few points it does make me wonder of the type of people who "judges" these games...
All the judges laid out their reasoning in detail in the previous thread. I think their scores are pretty reasonable, a complete hack does not always make a good one.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!

Male
Seen June 7th, 2019
Posted January 1st, 2017
439 posts
6.3 Years
Congrats to the winners! Surprised to see Gaia sweeping away almost all the awards and glad to see Red++ winning the Sideshow one.

Currently playing: The Ultimate Rodent Solo Run Challenge Marathon
Pokemon Blue Raticate Run: (8/8) (COMPLETED)
Pokemon Silver Furret Run: (16/16) (JOHTO + KANTO + RED COMPLETED)
Pokemon Sapphire Linoone Run: (8/8) (COMPLETED)
Pokemon Pearl Bibarel Run: (2/8)
Pokemon White Watchog Run: (N/A)

seeker

Ireland
Seen November 1st, 2019
Posted May 20th, 2018
10,571 posts
10.7 Years
Mods favouring the mods. Especially that "seeker" guy. Adventure red deserved to win.
It should probably be mentioned that "mods favouring the mods" makes no sense, given that I am not even a staff member on this site.

Christos and Spherical Ice made it to this point in Hack of the Year because they each made fantastic hacks. End of discussion. The fact that their username colour is different to the average user has nothing to do with that. Their blue names did not create Gaia or Eclipse; the hard work and dedication of Spherical Ice & Christos did.

Adventure Red appeals to many people, but I upheld my objective viewpoint with a detailed response on each hack. My votes were based on my experience as someone who has studied game design, worked in the video gaming industry, been a ROM hacker before, makes games and overall enjoys playing them. I simply did not think that Adventure Red - while having an extreme amount of work put into it - was not worthy of a Hack of the Year title this year. Even if I gave Adventure Red a perfect score it still would have not won.

While personal preference will always be a subjective point of view; it's hard to argue many of the points made for and against the three hacks nominated this year. Rest assured, the hack creators' username formatting has nothing to do with their ability in creating ROM Hacks and consequently the outcome of this competition.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper

Age 34
Finland
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
837 posts
12.4 Years
Congrats for Gaia!

Btw, it was good that Eclipse didn't won, its victory would've easily caused nasty drama because one judge was apparently bribed, I noted this on the judging thread:
Guys these scores are out of 5, not 10. The final score is out of 20, not 40. I did this because I wanted to look like a tough judge and give out low numbers. Also, 10 and 40 is too mainstream. As for why I rated Eclipse so high, it was because I was bribed. I feel like I've failed everyone who counted on me to be a fair judge, but the bribe tactics were very powerful.
I know this contest is just for fun but that shouldn't be tolerated because it's potential drama bomb.
Mewtwo X Espeon 4-ever!

Christos

Male
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted August 4th, 2019
6,368 posts
13.8 Years
Congrats for Gaia!

Btw, it was good that Eclipse didn't won, its victory would've easily caused nasty drama because one judge was apparently bribed, I noted this on the judging thread:
I know this contest is just for fun but that shouldn't be tolerated because it's potential drama bomb.
That was a joke

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
Advertiser Content