Art Studio For visual art, photography, and music! Pokémon related or not, showcase or discuss anything related to the visual or musical arts.

Old June 10th, 2016 (8:03 PM). Edited October 27th, 2016 by Incineroar.
the spirit of the fighter
  • Platinum Tier
  • Developer

Nature: Brave
Incineroar's Music Studio
So for the past few years, I've been working on many video game ports that essentially become remixes (That is, I rip sequence data from the games and play around with it. It's always fun to see what a song sounds like if it were from another game!), therefore I do not take 100% full credit for all the songs I do. I've used a variety of different soundfonts from different games and other random soundfonts that I've come across in my travels, all of which have worked out to different degrees. Today, I'd like to showcase some of those remixes in this thread. Some of these are very old works, while some of them are fairly new. I've been wanting to do this for a while, but I thought now would be a good time to perhaps post this thread since it can have all the space that it needs to grow and prosper.

Some of these may be reuploaded pending a re-recording to include a loop should it be necessary for the song, as some of my more recent recordings were rather hasty in their release. In addition, if you'd like to have the soundfonts that I've used, feel free to request so and I'll put a section here for my resources for you to try out. In addition, all of these files can be downloaded, just click on the play button of the player and you can save the file to your computer.

Note: If the song does not load correctly or at all, try refreshing the page. Sometimes, my file host doesn't like to deliver files correctly on wonky internet connections.

Final Fantasy Series

Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Caraterre [Final Fantasy VIII Soundfont]

Probably one of my favorites so far. The voice isn't technically correct, but I wanted to keep some kind of voice in. I ripped the audio data from the game and I instantly knew the perfect way to re-capture the orchestral sounds of this song. I do find the voice at the beginning a bit overwhelming, but that's not hard to fix.

Final Fantasy VIII - Force Your Way [Arachno Soundfont]

I really do love this version of the song, personally. The soundfont actually worked far better than I expected for this song, although it did have a few quirks that I had to sort out because of the lack of a proper instrument in one of the tracks. I will definitely have to re-upload this with a loop.

Final Fantasy VII - The Highwind Takes To The Skies [Pokémon DP Soundfont]

This one doesn't sound half bad, and all the instruments just seem to work. Too bad more FF songs don't do this...

Mario Kart Series

Mario Kart 64 - Koopa Troopa Beach [Final Fantasy VIII Soundfont]

This one sounds so beachy and warm! Getting the drums right on this was a disaster, but it still turned out well in the end. N64 sequence data isn't pretty.

Mario Kart 64 - Rainbow Road [Final Fantasy VIII Soundfont]

The guitar turned out rather quiet in this one, and it doesn't quiiiite fit, although I could probably just find another soundfont to put to that particular track. Still turned out really well at the end of the day, however. Fast fact: I had to export this song a second time because in the initial FL Studio export, half the instruments cut out right at the beginning of the song and it sounded absurdly awkward.

Pokémon Series

Pokémon Black & White - Route 4 (Day) [Pokémon DP Soundfont]

This one sounds really nice in this soundfont, but the next version is really nice...

Pokémon Black & White - Route 4 (Night) [Pokémon DP Soundfont]

The flute is substituted for a piano, the piano makes a reference to stars in the night sky. In addition, to make it softer, the drums are also removed. This isn't the only song that has this done though.

Pokémon Black & White - Gatehouse (Day) [Pokémon DP Soundfont]

I kept the original feel of this song for the daytime, as I didn't want to stray too far off. It plays with DP's instrumentation very smoothly, almost as nicely as the nighttime variant below.

Pokémon Black & White - Gatehouse (Night) [Pokémon DP Soundfont]

I raised the pitch of a lot of instruments, and substituted the regular piano for an electric piano to once again simulate the stars. However, I changed up the percussion a little bit but didn't get rid of it entirely.

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - Battle! VS. Barry! [Final Fantasy VIII Soundfont]

The trumpets though! This one turned our really nice although some instruments are a tad quiet.

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - Surfing! [Final Fantasy VIII Soundfont]

This one sounds really dreamy and soft sounding. Very necessary for a surfing theme really.

Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 - Virbank City [Final Fantasy VIII Soundfont]

This song also sounds really nice and soft, and the bass very much accentuates the kind of song that the city is, that is, it sounds very urban and matured especially with the drums as well.

Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire - Sealed Chamber [Final Fantasy VIII Soundfont]

I found this on our old family desktop as a project file and I didn't like what I did with it so I played with it and added some echo/reverb to it as well to make it fit more with the atmosphere in the Sealed Chamber where you decipher the mystery behind Regirock/Regice/Registeel.

Chrono Trigger

Chrono Trigger - Schala's Theme [Final Fantasy VIII Soundfont]

This was absolutely necessary. I may try to +1 this later, but for now this song is too good to pass up on. I might try a few other Chrono Trigger songs later, but some of them don't play too well yet.

Anyways, feel free to leave some responses/criticisms/whatever that you want, any and all feedback is appreciated. I'll be updating this post over the coming days with some of my older recordings that I feel do belong here, so definitely keep your eyes open.

CSS written by Incineroar, inspired on the Google Material design. Last updated: June 13, 2016: Fixing CSS and editing intro.

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 10th, 2016 (8:20 PM).
Comfortably Numb
  • Crystal Tier

Nature: Hasty
Nice stuff man! I'm loving the FF VIII battle song, fits perfectly with that audiofont! I feel like I should say more. I'll probably get back to this in a bit.

IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE?

Old June 11th, 2016 (8:45 PM).
  • Platinum Tier
  • Developer

So I just added in the entire Pokémon series as a category, feel free to take a peek!
Old June 11th, 2016 (11:54 PM).
The aura guardian awakens....

These are great! I love the battle VS barry the most, and also all of the pokemon ones. Quick question: how do you get the midis and soundfonts out of the games? Google and duckduckgo seem to yield nothing for a midi of a lot of those.

Old June 12th, 2016 (1:57 PM).
    Time to Splat~
    • Crystal Tier

Nature: Naughty
    I love these! Especially the Final Fantasy VI one and the pokemon ones :D Keep up the great work man :3
    Reading
    Hiatus
    Old June 12th, 2016 (5:23 PM).
    • Platinum Tier
    • Developer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerbingamer376 View Post
    These are great! I love the battle VS barry the most, and also all of the pokemon ones. Quick question: how do you get the midis and soundfonts out of the games? Google and duckduckgo seem to yield nothing for a midi of a lot of those.
    There's actually two different ways to do this, but both involve the same program: VGMTrans. VGMTrans, also known as the Video Game Music Translator, takes many, many several game formats, and can transcribe them to MIDI and DLS/SF2 files, which are what I import to FL Studio to work with. You can use original game ROM images in most cases (Nintendo DS ROMs) but in some cases you have to use game rip formats (PS1/2 .psf and .psf2 files and SNES .spc files). Some games don't work with it, but quite a few do depending on what sound formats the game was made with.
    Old June 13th, 2016 (6:16 AM).
    The aura guardian awakens....

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
      There's actually two different ways to do this, but both involve the same program: VGMTrans. VGMTrans, also known as the Video Game Music Translator, takes many, many several game formats, and can transcribe them to MIDI and DLS/SF2 files, which are what I import to FL Studio to work with. You can use original game ROM images in most cases (Nintendo DS ROMs) but in some cases you have to use game rip formats (PS1/2 .psf and .psf2 files and SNES .spc files). Some games don't work with it, but quite a few do depending on what sound formats the game was made with.
      It's kinda a shame that the QT port is still WIP. Being a linux user, running the windows version is a pain.

Old June 13th, 2016 (9:31 AM).
      • Platinum Tier

Nature: Impish
      Listened to all the Pokemon ones, they're really lovely! Love the feel of Nightime Gatehouse! The FF sounds really suit those last few too, a nice twist!
      Old June 13th, 2016 (8:45 PM).
      • Platinum Tier
      • Developer

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Spoonette View Post
      Listened to all the Pokemon ones, they're really lovely! Love the feel of Nightime Gatehouse! The FF sounds really suit those last few too, a nice twist!
      Thanks! I might try topping those up with other soundfonts, I think I still have the music project on my old computer. I'll have to go and dig around for them.
      Old June 14th, 2016 (2:37 PM).
      Are you Blue too?

Nature: Gentle
        Quote:
        Really? I never knew about that! That makes my work feel washed down, now... I don't use MIDIs...

I think I understand now why people don't really pay much attention to music remasters...
        Old June 14th, 2016 (3:47 PM).
        • Platinum Tier
        • Developer

Quote:
        Originally Posted by BlueJackG View Post
        Really? I never knew about that! That makes my work feel washed down, now... I don't use MIDIs...

I think I understand now why people don't really pay much attention to music remasters...
        Yeah, it's the main reason I don't take full credit for any of these works. But yeah, I don't mind these remasters, I usually do them in my spare time when I really feel like it. I have one that I did on the GBA, I'll have to record that one manually too...
        Old June 14th, 2016 (6:16 PM).
        Are you Blue too?

Nature: Gentle
          Quote:
          Yeah, it's the main reason I don't take full credit for any of these works. But yeah, I don't mind these remasters, I usually do them in my spare time when I really feel like it. I have one that I did on the GBA, I'll have to record that one manually too...
          Well, it's not about what you use to make music, it's about what you end up with. So I'm fine with using MIDIs. However, since I don't use them when I do my remastered versions, I feel like people think I do... So, if you remake soundtrack from scratch, people think you're just another MIDI user and don't give you as much importance. I used to get the notes wrong, now I've improved, but for what? If you can just take it from the game... You know what I mean, right?
          Old June 14th, 2016 (8:05 PM).
          • Platinum Tier
          • Developer

Quote:
          Originally Posted by BlueJackG View Post
          Well, it's not about what you use to make music, it's about what you end up with. So I'm fine with using MIDIs. However, since I don't use them when I do my remastered versions, I feel like people think I do... So, if you remake soundtrack from scratch, people think you're just another MIDI user and don't give you as much importance. I used to get the notes wrong, now I've improved, but for what? If you can just take it from the game... You know what I mean, right?
          Yeah, in a way I do. Personally, I'd love to be able to write from scratch, because I can get notes wrong and still try and make it sound amazing! But yeah, regardless, it can be a fallback that nobody wants to refer to and it makes them just sound similar, so I see where you're coming from there, because it can be passed off as just a copy, which, after many several hours/days/weeks of work nobody wants to have said about their work. It's also this reason that I don't claim 100% originality with these since they are remasters and not remakes, I personally find remakes much better too because you can play with it so much more.
          Old June 27th, 2016 (12:50 PM).
          • Platinum Tier
          • Developer

Update time - Just went and added "Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire - Sealed Chamber" to the mix. Feel free to listen in!
          Old June 28th, 2016 (6:03 PM).
          Comfortably Numb
          • Crystal Tier

Regarding the last conversation: I get what you guys are saying; people often just hear something, something in which they are biased to underestimate beforehand and just poorly criticize. With these kind of things I try to be as impartial as possible, and instead of critisizing I try to offer ideas. Kinda sucks how big communities, like youtube, can be so toxic.

TF, have you tried doing songs from other games? Whislt your mixes are pretty good and the hard work doesn't go unnoticed, I think you're putting yourself to a low cap of quality with the pokemon themes, maybe try other games soundtracks. Look out for ranking and reviews, there might be plenty of not so known games that have incredibly good soundtracks. Personally, I'd love to see what you can do with the Chrono Trigger soundtracks, they're just amazing

Old June 28th, 2016 (9:01 PM).
          • Platinum Tier
          • Developer

Quote:
          Originally Posted by JohnnyMustang View Post
          TF, have you tried doing songs from other games? Whislt your mixes are pretty good and the hard work doesn't go unnoticed, I think you're putting yourself to a low cap of quality with the pokemon themes, maybe try other games soundtracks. Look out for ranking and reviews, there might be plenty of not so known games that have incredibly good soundtracks. Personally, I'd love to see what you can do with the Chrono Trigger soundtracks, they're just amazing
          I have, actually, although they don't turn out as nicely I find, I do have an old one that was from a Castlevania DS game, although it doesn't sound too great. I have lots of others, most of what's here though was just done previously and I just had it available. I do want to start working on new songs, such as, say, Starfox or something like that, I just haven't had the time for that quite yet.
          Old September 21st, 2016 (8:57 AM).
          • Platinum Tier
          • Developer

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
          Personally, I'd love to see what you can do with the Chrono Trigger soundtracks, they're just amazing
          Decided to do one just this morning (Schala's Theme, take a look at the bottom of the post), and I might try +1ing that one too. Let me know what your opinions on it are.
          Old September 22nd, 2016 (4:46 AM).
          Comfortably Numb
          • Crystal Tier

Quote:
          Decided to do one just this morning (Schala's Theme, take a look at the bottom of the post), and I might try +1ing that one too. Let me know what your opinions on it are.
          Oh man I loved it. Schala's theme was clearly the right pick. Don't you love how Chrono Trigger made the perfect representation of the feelings the every timeline gave? Great listen, TF! This was certainly nice to hear and even made me want to look this up and learn how to do it!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links