• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you owned a Gym...

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
    How often would you work out

Hello, all! What type of Gym do you think you'd own if you were a Gym Leader?
    There are all types of Gyms, at least one for every single type, save for Dark. My question extends a bit further, however; if you could pick any theme, whether it's Typing (Grass, Bug, Ice, etc.), Strategy (Glass Cannon, Wall, Troll, etc.), or Technique (Weather, Gimmick, etc.), what would you choose to full your gym with? What traps would you use?
    Please don't pick a well balanced team, though; Gym Leaders are nearly never well balanced in their teams. In my opinion, this is because the purpose of battling them is to combat a specific play style, but thats only my opinion.
    Bonus points if you name a badge for your Gym :3 :P

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Dragon, definitely. I think this could extend into Dragon-like Pokemon, such as Gyarados, and Pokemon in the Dragon Egg Group maybe, so I'm not completely obliterated by Ice-type moves. I'm not sure what my badge name would be; I really liked Legend Badge :(

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
    I really like colour's form, so I'm using that.

The first one I thought of was this:

Specialty: Rock Types
    Technique: Mostly Gimmicks, such as FEAR Arons, Shuckles, etc. I'd like to build a good rock-type gimmicks team, but we'll see. I'm no expert competitor :p
    Badge Name: Slate Badge as a reference to how Slate sheets easily, but is hard at perpendicular angles.

If I come up with any more, I'll be sure to share :p

Years
    Specialty: Water Types
    Technique: I'd be quite a trolly gym leader, having a Slowbro that would use confuse ray on everything then build up special defense with Amnesia.
    Badge Name: Aqua Badge, just sounds cool xD

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    kinda this is going to be hard for me cause I love my fire/dragon/grass/ice types but i'll try my best lol

(but if I were to have a gym it definitely would be multi-type but its ok ;))

Specialty: Fire !
    Technique: Drought-based team most likely (go ninetales !), Solarbeam to shatter water/ground/rock-types, + status-effects
    Badge name: Radiant Badge
    Gym design: Very light/sunny, stain-glass + lanterns everywhere

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    Specialty: Grass
    Technique: Oh, no need. I won't be battling anyone. See below.
    Badge: Verdant Badge
    Gym Design: My Gym need not be indoors. In fact, it'd be better served if it could be outside in a large grassy field, in the style of some fangame Gyms, though no official games unfortunately. The field would be clear of trees or foliage, and the only obstruction to the player would be thousands - nay, tens of thousands, of Alolan Exeggutor constantly walking around and headslamming the ground. The constant headslamming, long necks, and random movement would functionally create a massive maze for the player to traverse - not merely a normal maze of stone or brick, but one constantly shifting, its walls defined by the random movement of the Exeggutor. Even the most devoted of trainers would fall to the maze, leaving me with 0 battles and a 0% loss rate. The Elite Four would be impressed with my skill and invite me to join their hallowed ranks, thus ensuring I actually have enough money to feed my family. I play the long game.

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
    Specialty: Normal types and a few other types sprinkled here and there.
    Technique: Mainly supportive and utility moves such as Double Team, Assist and such. Main focus would be to nullify all of the enemy's offensive attempts and slowly whittle them away.
    Ace Pokemon: Skitty
    Gym Badge: Escapism Badge
    Gym Design: Not really sure, honestly. It would definitely have lots of pillow and place to sleep.

Nice gym Rainbow, but can't we just Blizzard our way through?

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    Nice gym Rainbow, but can't we just Blizzard our way through?
    A vain attempt, my foolish friend! Note that I said the Gym will be outside in a field. By using Blizzard, you not only attack my Exeggutor, but the weather will spread and cause major damage to the town in which my Gym is located! Upon noticing, the townspeople will give rousing speeches against you and proceed to hunt you down with pitchforks, during which time you will be too preoccupied to battle me.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    A vain attempt, my foolish friend! Note that I said the Gym will be outside in a field. By using Blizzard, you not only attack my Exeggutor, but the weather will spread and cause major damage to the town in which my Gym is located! Upon noticing, the townspeople will give rousing speeches against you and proceed to hunt you down with pitchforks, during which time you will be too preoccupied to battle me.

I would definitely stay the hell away from this gym; Alola Exeggutor scares the shit out of me.

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
    Then I'll Ice Beam it or climb the exeggutors and fly to your location.
    Also, not very relevant, but is it just me or does Gardenia have an awful gym? It feels claustrophobic and more like a box than anything else. Erika had a greenhouse and Gardenia gets something that looks like it's filled with fake plants.

Years
    • Psychic-type gym
    • Gym is a designed like a planetarium: a large, dark room under a tall dome.
    • At the center is a faintly glowing ball representing the sun, and the floor moves around the center in 8 concentric rings, one for each planet, but at differing speeds.
    • 8 trainers (Triton, Miranda, Tethys, Ganymede, Deimos, Luna, Ishtar, and Caloris) guard control stations at spots along the rings and to advance you must defeat the trainer and align the rings you're on with the next one inward using the control station. Each time you do the sun glows a little brighter.
    • When the planets are aligned the sun at the center descends into the ground and a planetarium projector rises from underground with the gym leader who you battle.
    • Celestial Badge is yours when you defeat the leader

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    I know that that's kind of a consistent theme, with several extraterrestrial Pokémon being psychic-type, and many scientists use psychic-types as well - but is there any real reason that a planetary system would have a psychic-type theme? There's nothing psychic about lumps of rock or balls of nuclear fire. I know Game Freak have done it, but I'm not really sure why or if I'm missing an obvious connection here.

Back