The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: General Discussions Pokémon General
WWYD Scenario VII - A precarious decision!

Pokémon General The home for theories, clubs, polls, and other discussions involving the Pokémon franchise that aren't covered in any of the other boards.

Old June 11th, 2017 (6:21 AM). Edited June 11th, 2017 by colours.
Like a rhythm to the sea
  • Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
What would you do?
A fun little discussion here in Pokemon General where you discuss what you would do in certain scenarios!

What is this about?
These are simply about hypothetical scenarios that would occur to you if you were in the Pokemon World (or not!). This is pretty much the entire premise of WWYD (What Would You Do); that is, what would you do in a given scenario? Remember that there are no right or wrong answers, just your thoughts!
Can I suggest some scenarios, too?
Of course you can! In fact, I highly encourage you to! Feel free to PM your ideas to colours!
What would you do in this scenario?
So, imagine that you've chosen the life of a Professor. You travel around the world studying Pokemon and what makes them tick, as is the duties of every Pokemon professor. However, upon your travels and studies, you come across a rare, undiscovered Pokemon! It could be a legendary/mythical Pokemon, you're not sure. A part of you is immediately wanting to document your findings and make them public for the masses! This has to be known! However, a thought strikes you. Upon doing so, you risk word getting out about that Pokemon and, assuming that it's a rare Pokemon, your revelation of its very existence could very well put it in danger, putting a massive bullseye on its back for evil organizations everywhere to try and capture it and, not only that, Trainers would also strive to capture it. There's probably only one of that Pokemon in existence. Probably.

On the other hand, revealing that Pokemon's existence means you'll get all the credit and fame that would come with it. If you choose to reveal that Pokemon's existence, you may even win awards for your research, and your name would be known everywhere for scientific grants and funds. This is especially important, because your research lab is currently struggling financially and you need a way to get by. If you don't make your findings about this Pokemon public, you risk being out of a job.

What would you do?

I'll be chasing waterfalls tonight

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 11th, 2017 (6:30 AM).
  • Crystal Tier

Well, let's face it, if I don't reveal it, someone else will eventually find it and do so. Or worse, if it's a Legendary, an evil team might find it and not reveal it until they've conquered the world with it...because that's what they always do, right?

I'd capture it myself and then reveal it to the world. Problem solved. If there is only one in existence, it's mine, so nobody else can use it for world domination. And I definitely don't have world domination on my mind. Nope.
Old June 11th, 2017 (8:57 PM).
Like a rhythm to the sea
  • Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
^ That's... actually a pretty creative answer. xD I'd honestly probably do the same! Capture the Pokemon for my own, and that way there won't be anyone else to take it if I reveal it to the public.

I suppose there's also the dilemma of whether said Pokemon wants to be captured, or if it feels perfectly content in its natural habitat, which adds an extra layer of difficulty but... eh.

I'll be chasing waterfalls tonight

Old June 12th, 2017 (1:31 AM).
Lurking in the shadows

Nature: Relaxed
    I would keep it to myself for as long as I can, and learn/document things I find out. But it likely will be noticed sooner or later.
    Old June 12th, 2017 (1:46 PM).
    Aaron is that weirdo with 5 colours in her hair
    • Gold Tier

Nature: Adamant
    I feel like legendary and mythical Pokemon are so elusive that it would be incredibly hard for people to find them. I'd document it and then leave it be before releasing the information to everyone. Yes people would try and catch it etc but like Meyneth said, that would happen eventually anyway.
    Old June 29th, 2017 (2:38 AM).
    Grbrlgrblblablaba
    • Crystal Tier

Location: That place called... Wait, what was it called again?
    Nature: Calm
    Just like others said above, if you don't publish your data, somebody else will do it sooner or later. Better at least take the credit for it.

I think most legendaries are powerful enough to fend of trainers and evil teams by themselves. If not, I can probably just hire a local ten-year-old with the excuse of filling PokéDex to battle the evil team for me. Huh, what do you mean with "child labor"?

=====================================================
    Old July 2nd, 2017 (7:49 AM).

I'd use a master ball and then reveal its existence to the public by documenting my findings.
      Old July 5th, 2017 (4:42 AM).
      Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.

Nature: Naive
        I'd probably take it with me, but I'd say purely for protection from poachers.
        But not with the intention to keep it for the rest of its lifetime.

I'd research it a bit and eventually release it back, but not before it gets enlisted as an endangered specie.
        Fame and money is a nice bonus and all, but I'd care mostly about the job and the Pokémon itself.
        Old September 2nd, 2017 (7:11 AM).

It would depend on what the Pokémon wanted.Come to me, come...
          Old September 4th, 2017 (7:05 PM).
          I'm baaaaaaaaad
          • PokéCommunity Daily

Nature: Lax
          I would reveal it. Ill use my money, fame, and influence to help protect that species.

Signature by Nah
          Old September 10th, 2017 (4:31 AM).

I'd probably try to capture it or convince it to come back with me and then reveal. If I can't then I'll still reveal it and it will be under my protection from any evil team and trust me they wouldn't want to mess with me.

Quick Reply