• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Pokétch for Pokémon Essentials

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
You know that thing on your bottom screen in generation 4 (Sinnoh)? That's a Pokétch, or Poké Watch. I thought it'd be funny to try to replicate that in Pokémon Essentials, so that's what I did.

It supports both dual-screen and single-screen, though dual-screen is what it was initially designed for.

This Pokétch currently has a grand total of 23 apps:
  • Clock
  • Clicker
  • Calculator
  • Pedometer
  • Itemfinder
  • Move Tester
  • Rotom (custom)
  • Marking Map
  • Matchup Checker
  • Party
  • Color Changer
  • Kitchen Timer
  • Analog Watch
  • Stat Display (custom)
  • Roulette
  • Day Care Checker
  • Pokémon History
  • Calendar
  • Coin Flip
  • Stopwatch
  • Notepad (custom)
  • Alarm Clock
  • Safari Helper (custom)

Credits
  • Marin
  • Modeling Clay (Sprites for Rotom, Stat Display, and Safari Helper)
  • Luka S.J. (For his Easy Mouse System)

Installation
You'll need to install Luka S.J.'s Easy Mouse System from the Universal Plugin Installer

There are three script sections you'll need to grab:
Pokétch_Main
Pokétch_Utility
Pokétch_Apps
Make sure to put these in new sections above all the PScreen_ scripts.

Next, download the Graphics pack and put it under Graphics/Pictures/Poketch:
Download Graphics

The Roulette app also requires RPG.Net. If you want to be able to use Roulette, you must install this dll and put it into your main, root folder:
RPG.Net.dll

Dual-screen Usage
You will first need to set DEFAULTSCREENHEIGHT in Settings to 768, which is double the normal height (384 * 2).

The script is configured for dual-screen by default. If you don't have the Pokétch, a background will be chosen (the path is in Pokétch_Main, NO_POKETCH_BACKGROUND).
You can also have to define where on the vertical axis the Pokétch will be. By default, this is right underneath the first screen, meaning at a Y value of 384. This is POKETCH_Y in Pokétch_Main.
To actually tell the script that you're using dual-screen, you need to have DUAL_SCREEN in Pokétch_Main set to true.

Now to actually gain ownership of the Pokétch, you simply need to do pbObtainPoketch. By default, this will enable the Clock, Clicker, Calculator, and Analog Watch. You can change this by going in def pbObtainPoketch(animate = true) and changing the pbEnableApp in there.

To take away the Pokétch (and show the no_poketch_background again), you can call pbTakePoketch. This will not disable or enable any apps, but just take away the Pokétch.

IMPORTANT: Dual-screen Pokétch will likely have broken your battle system in terms of Pokémon positioning. To fix this, you'll need to fiddle around with Y values in PokeBattle_SceneConstants.

Single-screen Usage
Using the Pokétch with one screen is also an option. To configure it for single-screen, follow these steps:
  • Set DEFAULTSCREENHEIGHT in Settings to the normal height, 384.
  • Set DUAL_SCREEN in Pokétch_Main to false
  • Set POKETCH_Y in Pokétch_Main to 0
You now have a proper, normal game. The Pokétch is not running in the background anymore.
To call the Pokétch (from something like a pause menu or hotkey), call pbPoketch. This will open up the Pokétch.

General Usage
Each and every Pokétch app can be enabled and disabled. The methods behind this are:
pbEnableApp(app_id)
pbDisableApp(app_id)

You might be wondering, what's this app_id about?
Every Pokétch app has an ID. You could look this up manually in module PoketchApps and fill in the ID you found for your app, but you could also do PoketchApps::appname.
Let's say you want to get the ID of the Pokémon History app, you would do PoketchApps::PoketchPokemonHistory. All classes for Pokétch apps I wrote start with Poketch, but that's not a requirement. Spaces aren't allowed, and I didn't use any special characters (such as é).

If you want to enable or disable everything, you can use one of the following methods:
pbEnableAll
pbDisableAll

If you're using Dual-screen mode, you have the ability to force switch to an app by using pbChangeApp(app_id). This bypasses availability and usability, which means that it will switch to this app even if it's disabled, and even if the conditions that might be given in the class aren't met.

Documentation on the apps

Apps in general
Every app inherits from PoketchApp. This class creates the @viewport Viewport and @bg background Sprite in its constructor, def initialize.
Every Pokétch App must call super in its constructor first.
If the app uses click?, it must call super in def update.
Every Pokétch App should call super LAST in def dispose. This disposes @bg and @viewport.

If you want an app only to usable under certain conditions (on top of whether or not the app is enabled/disabled), you can add a method def self.usable?, which should return a boolean (true/false).

• Clock: This app will show the computer's time. It will refresh whenever it detects the hour or minute has changed since the last time it refreshed. The method that refreshes the app is draw_time.
  • Clicker: This app allows you to click on a button for a variable to be incremented with one for every button press. $PokemonTemp.click_count stores the click count, because it doesn't need to go into the save file, and the variable resets whenever you switch apps, so the PokemonTemp class was fine.
  • Calculator: Yeah, I don't fancy talking about this one. All I can say is that it's one big, working mess.
  • Item Finder: Every event with .hidden in its event name will be picked up by the Itemfinder, if the event isn't unlisted.
    To unlist an event, meaning that it won't be picked up by the itemfinder, use pbUnlist(event_id).
    To list an event, meaning that it will be picked up by the itemfinder, use pbList(event_id). Every event is listed by default (if it has .hidden in the name).
  • Rotom: You can specify messages the Rotom in this app will say to you. For documentation on the methods, please refer to class PoketchRotom in Pokétch_Apps.
  • Move Tester: Allows you to test type effectiveness. Pseudo types are ignored (?????, for example).
  • Pedometer: Counts your steps in variable $Trainer.steps. Adds a proc to Events.onStepTaken to increase the step count.
  • Marking Map: Allows you to drag and drop markings on the map. If you click the sprite, it'll be selected and follow your mouse around. If you click somewhere, it'll go there and be seen as unselected and no longer follow your mouse.
  • Matchup Checker: Only usable if you have 2 or more Pokémon in your party. Checks how well they would breed together. Clicking one of the icons picks the next slot in the Party and plays its cry. You can't check a Pokémon against itself.
  • Party: Shows you your whole party. Shows HP (and fainted), and an item icon if they have an item. Clicking a Pokémon plays their cry.
  • Color Changer: Adds a colored overlay over the screen.
  • Kitchen Timer: Counts down every Graphics.update call.
  • Analog Watch: Display current time. See def position for the formula.
  • Stat Display: Shows you each party member's EVs and IVs. Plays its cry upon switching.
  • Roulette: Only usable if you downloaded RPG.Net.dll.

You can draw in the circle. If you hit play, it'll spin until you click stop. Clear your drawings with the C button.
  • Day Care Checker: Shows you your Pokémon in the day care. If there's an egg, it'll display it.
  • Pokémon History: Every Pokémon that evolves, is traded, caught, or is hatched, is registered in $Trainer.pokemonhistory. It displays the latest 12 and plays the cry if you touch a Pokémon.
  • Calendar: It's a calendar. The current month has a box around it, and you can mark dates by clicking on them. Does support leap years.
  • Coin Flip: Magikarp or ball. Heads or tails. Flip the coin by clicking on it.
  • Stopwatch: Counts up every Graphics.update.
  • Notepad: As the Memo Pad doesn't appear to be realizeable, I made a notepad instead. You can use your keyboard to write on it. These characters are supported:
    Code:
    AaBbCcDdEeFfGgHhIiJjKkLlMmNnOoPpQqRrSsTtUuVvWwXxYyZz
    0123456789)!@#$%^&*(-_=+,<.>/?'"[{]};:`~\|

You can write if the button is pressed. If it is pressed, you cannot walk or do anything other than write, switch apps, or click the button again to stop writing.
  • Alarm Clock: Goes off at the time you specify. It'll go off for the whole minute, unless you turn it off.
  • Safari Helper: Only usable while in the Safari Zone. It displays the amount of balls you have and the amount of steps you have left. You can also end the safari zone game with it.

Feeling like making your own app?
I hope you'd be able to figure it out by reading the top of Pokétch_Apps and Pokétch_Utility.
If you have made your own app and feel like sharing, please feel free to leave your creations in this thread!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Fixed a couple bugs with apps here and there. If you'd installed it already, make sure to update.

Soccersam

Hilbert is Badass
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Fixed a couple bugs with apps here and there. If you'd installed it already, make sure to update.
Thanks a lot! This just opened up a whole lot more options for my game!

EDIT: Poketch_Utilities Script link doesn't work

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Fixed it. Apparently posts there only last two days or something.

Soccersam

Hilbert is Badass
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
For some reason, it gives me this error

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Script 'Poketch_Apps' line 42: TypeError occurred.

undefined superclass `PoketchApp'
OK

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
For some reason, it gives me this error

Pokemon Essentials
Script 'Poketch_Apps' line 42: TypeError occurred.

undefined superclass `PoketchApp'
OK

Install it properly. You didn't get Pokétch_Utility or you didn't insert the scripts in the proper order. There's even a screenshot...

Soccersam

Hilbert is Badass
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Install it properly. You didn't get Pokétch_Utility or you didn't insert the scripts in the proper order. There's even a screenshot...

Okay, you were right. I installed it in the wrong order. Now, everything's right. But it showed this error AT FIRST-

Pokemon Essentials
Script 'Poketch_Main' line 453: NameError occurred.

uninitialized constant ERRORTEXT
OK

I got into the script editor, and found that line no.453 in Poketch_Main was-

ERRORTEXT += "[Pokétch v1.0]\r\n" if ERRORTEXT

So, I deleted that line, and then the game worked just fine, but when I opened the Poketch in-game, it just showed me a blank poketch screen, like this-

Screenshot_1.png

How do I fix this?

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Okay, you were right. I installed it in the wrong order. Now, everything's right. But it showed this error AT FIRST-

Pokemon Essentials
Script 'Poketch_Main' line 453: NameError occurred.

uninitialized constant ERRORTEXT
OK

I got into the script editor, and found that line no.453 in Poketch_Main was-

ERRORTEXT += "[Pokétch v1.0]\r\n" if ERRORTEXT

So, I deleted that line, and then the game worked just fine, but when I opened the Poketch in-game, it just showed me a blank poketch screen, like this-

View attachment 83534

How do I fix this?

The ERRORTEXT is a mistake on my end, but the black screen means you don't have any apps. Reinstall Pokétch_Main to fix the issue with ERRORTEXT.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Mar 11, 2020
Hello, I work in a remake of 4gen, but, i use Pokémon Essentials BW V3.1.1
I dont know how to implement these scripts :sob: I need help please :(

Soccersam

Hilbert is Badass
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Hello, I work in a remake of 4gen, but, i use Pokémon Essentials BW V3.1.1
I dont know how to implement these scripts :sob: I need help please :(
I think you need to set the script to dual screen? :)

Soccersam

Hilbert is Badass
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
So, do we call the pbEnableAll script in the same command as pbPoketch? Like this-?

Capture.PNG

I tried it in game, but it didn't show me the list of various options of the Poketch, it straight away started the Poketch clock. And when I exit the clock, it exits the whole poketch altogether.

Sorry for being such a moron and bothering you over and over again...

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
So, do we call the pbEnableAll script in the same command as pbPoketch? Like this-?

View attachment 83575

I tried it in game, but it didn't show me the list of various options of the Poketch, it straight away started the Poketch clock. And when I exit the clock, it exits the whole poketch altogether.

Sorry for being such a moron and bothering you over and over again...

You have to enable apps before opening the Pokétch. And yes, of course it'd close, because that's what the method does. Read the documentation for that.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 10, 2020
I just installed the scripts into my game, and wanted to test them out. But when I ran the script to give me the Poketch in game, the Poketch screen wouldn't go away, and the only thing I could do was access the pause menu. So I tried going to my bag, but the clock app, which was the first thing that opened, overlayed on top of the bag menu.

I don't know if I installed something wrong or messed with the settings so any help would be appreciated.

Years
Hello,
Marin, I think this script is very sweet! It will help a lot of people.
I just want to ask when you said 'dual screen' is what this is designed for, I immediately thought of Essentials BW. However, after reading the comments, I found out that Essentials BW will not support this.
So, what are the other 'dual screen' engines for pokemon? I do not seem to be able to find any more...

Years
Alright, so as for the PokeBattle_SceneConstants values, if you're using the default battle system and default layouts here's what you need to change if you're using the dual screen mode.

PLAYERBOX_Y = Graphics.height - 576

PLAYERPARTYBAR_Y = Graphics.height - 526

PLAYERBATTLER_Y = Graphics.height - 464

FOEBATTLER_Y = (Graphics.height * 3/4) - 432

Just something I thought I'd add in to help other people using this script.

Diegou18

Forever Chandelure lover.
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 16, 2021
Sorry for necroposting, but is there anything wrong with the Stat Display function? When I press the EV and IV buttons, the values of the same Pokémon change, and they shouldn't, since it's the same Pokémon. Even when I change the Pokémon, the values seem changing too.
Btw, I'm not using Dual Screen and my version of Essentials is 17.2.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Sorry for necroposting, but is there anything wrong with the Stat Display function? When I press the EV and IV buttons, the values of the same Pokémon change, and they shouldn't, since it's the same Pokémon. Even when I change the Pokémon, the values seem changing too.
Btw, I'm not using Dual Screen and my version of Essentials is 17.2.

I've fixed the issue. The updated version can be downloaded with the same link as in the OP.

Chalk33

Ex-watchmaker from Polyhex (not even a Pokémon thi
Years
I seem to be having an odd little bug. Whenever I begin a playtest, I get a series of error messages in quick succession before compiling.
Spoiler:

This occurs regardless of whether the save is before or after obtaining a poketch (though I haven't confirmed if it's the same exact set of errors, just that they happen). All three script sections are placed above Main. The poketch itself appears to work fine (only tested with the default apps obtained with pbObtainPoketch). The only noticeable effect is the error messages themselves.

Back