• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex✓] Working with both the pokeruby disassembly and hex hacking tools (i. e. AdvanceMap): is it possible?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 27, 2018
As the title says, I was wondering if there was any way to work on a hack simultaneously editing the source code from the pret/pokeruby disassembly and using hex editing tools. Would an IPS patch be still valid after substantial changes in the source? Or my best bet is to simply work on the source first, and then move on to hacking the binary ROM?

Last edited:

BluRose

blu rass
Years
if you make any code changes whatsoever, you mess up the locations of everything after it unless you make sure to add nop commands so that it's an even size with what it was
this breaks compatibility with all ips patches, as you are essentially making an entirely different version of the game, even if it is mostly the same
the only tool that you might "need" anyways is pretmap, which lunos has compiled here

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 27, 2018
Thank you. I was thinking that maybe the compiler tried to keep the memory locations faithful to the original ROM, as i tested it with very minor changes and it worked anyway, but I guess it was just luck. Didn't know about those pretmap builds, they sure make it easier on Windows

BluRose

blu rass
Years
Thank you. I was thinking that maybe the compiler tried to keep the memory locations faithful to the original ROM, as i tested it with very minor changes and it worked anyway, but I guess it was just luck. Didn't know about those pretmap builds, they sure make it easier on Windows
isn't there wine though? i'm not sure, i personally use windows ahaha

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 27, 2018
Yeah it works surprisingly well in WINE. I might release some compiled builds for Linux though, I think other users might appreciate that. Build instructions aren't super clear

Back