ROM Hacking Help Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Ad Content
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 4 Weeks Ago (5:15 AM).
BirdstarCat13's Avatar
BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is offline
Furret-loving Iskallian
     
    Join Date: Nov 2017
    Location: RenSkall island
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Adamant
    Posts: 472
    The title pretty much says it all, but basically the thing I'm trying to do is create some custom species (and include G4+ stuff) and I want to use existing cries as placeholders - for example, one of my species is based on a dog, so I want to use Lucario's cry in place of Unown or Bulbasaur, but of course Lucario wasn't introduced until Gen 4, so its cry isn't already in FireRed.

    The patch doesn't need to include all 809 species, just G4 and maybe some Legendaries from other gens, since I can definitely use similar-sounding others as placeholders. I just on't want to have everything that's not explicitly available in G3 to use Unown or Bulbasaur, with a slightly expanded pool of options. I'm not looking for a patch that includes those Pokémon (any extra species I will add myself, since I'm going to be making it possible to get everything that's coded in and I don't feel like adding in over 450 species + my custom ones + forms), just a few extra cries from generations after 3.
    __________________
    -------------------------
    I hate signatures that are just a line of text without any clear division. You weirdos know who you are ;)
    Reply With Quote
      #2   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 4 Weeks Ago (7:03 AM).
    Petuuuhhh's Avatar
    Petuuuhhh Petuuuhhh is online now
     
    Join Date: Apr 2017
    Location: Georgia
    Age: 25
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 633
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BirdstarCat13 View Post
    The title pretty much says it all, but basically the thing I'm trying to do is create some custom species (and include G4+ stuff) and I want to use existing cries as placeholders - for example, one of my species is based on a dog, so I want to use Lucario's cry in place of Unown or Bulbasaur, but of course Lucario wasn't introduced until Gen 4, so its cry isn't already in FireRed.

    The patch doesn't need to include all 809 species, just G4 and maybe some Legendaries from other gens, since I can definitely use similar-sounding others as placeholders. I just on't want to have everything that's not explicitly available in G3 to use Unown or Bulbasaur, with a slightly expanded pool of options. I'm not looking for a patch that includes those Pokémon (any extra species I will add myself, since I'm going to be making it possible to get everything that's coded in and I don't feel like adding in over 450 species + my custom ones + forms), just a few extra cries from generations after 3.
    There's a Gen 1-7 Cry Resource on PokeCommunity
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #3   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:20 PM).
    BirdstarCat13's Avatar
    BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is offline
    Furret-loving Iskallian
       
      Join Date: Nov 2017
      Location: RenSkall island
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Adamant
      Posts: 472
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Petuuuhhh View Post
      There's a Gen 1-7 Cry Resource on PokeCommunity
      That...doesn't help much...but ok
      __________________
      -------------------------
      I hate signatures that are just a line of text without any clear division. You weirdos know who you are ;)
      Reply With Quote
        #4   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old 4 Weeks Ago (4:55 PM).
      Hillsy13's Avatar
      Hillsy13 Hillsy13 is online now
         
        Join Date: Aug 2016
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 56
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by BirdstarCat13 View Post
        That...doesn't help much...but ok
        Can't you just insert the cry you want to use into the rom? you don't need a patch...
        Reply With Quote
          #5   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:12 PM).
        BirdstarCat13's Avatar
        BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is offline
        Furret-loving Iskallian
           
          Join Date: Nov 2017
          Location: RenSkall island
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Adamant
          Posts: 472
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Hillsy13 View Post
          Can't you just insert the cry you want to use into the rom? you don't need a patch...
          the ?? slots don't seem to like having their cries changed, so I was hoping there was a patch that simply added the sounds, so I could swap out the pointers on the ?? cries for the ones I wanted to replace them with. I *could* expand the Pokémon, but then I'd have to reconstruct the INI for the other 4 or 5 tools I use. For the time being it's just easier to edit the ?? slots. even if I did expand the number of slots I'd have to work around trying to edit the new slots' cries without screwing up Bulbasaur. There's also a chance I'm just incredibly dumb on this topic and don't know what I'm talking about
          __________________
          -------------------------
          I hate signatures that are just a line of text without any clear division. You weirdos know who you are ;)
          Reply With Quote
            #6   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old 3 Weeks Ago (12:54 AM).
          Hillsy13's Avatar
          Hillsy13 Hillsy13 is online now
             
            Join Date: Aug 2016
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 56
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by BirdstarCat13 View Post
            the ?? slots don't seem to like having their cries changed, so I was hoping there was a patch that simply added the sounds, so I could swap out the pointers on the ?? cries for the ones I wanted to replace them with. I *could* expand the Pokémon, but then I'd have to reconstruct the INI for the other 4 or 5 tools I use. For the time being it's just easier to edit the ?? slots. even if I did expand the number of slots I'd have to work around trying to edit the new slots' cries without screwing up Bulbasaur. There's also a chance I'm just incredibly dumb on this topic and don't know what I'm talking about
            Yeah those cries are a real gray area from what I've heard. But what I was saying is that you could attempt the same thing even by just inserting the particular cry you want to use in your rom, then repointing the cry of the ??? slots to where you inserted your new one. Again I'm no expert, just an idea.
            Reply With Quote
              #7   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:50 PM).
            BirdstarCat13's Avatar
            BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is offline
            Furret-loving Iskallian
               
              Join Date: Nov 2017
              Location: RenSkall island
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Adamant
              Posts: 472
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Hillsy13 View Post
              Yeah those cries are a real gray area from what I've heard. But what I was saying is that you could attempt the same thing even by just inserting the particular cry you want to use in your rom, then repointing the cry of the ??? slots to where you inserted your new one. Again I'm no expert, just an idea.
              That actually makes sense, but I have no clue how I'd get the sounds into the ROM without replacing an existing cry...
              __________________
              -------------------------
              I hate signatures that are just a line of text without any clear division. You weirdos know who you are ;)
              Reply With Quote
              Reply

              Quick Reply

              Join the conversation!

              Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

              Create a PokéCommunity Account
              Ad Content
              Thread Tools

              Posting Rules
              You may not post new threads
              You may not post replies
              You may not post attachments
              You may not edit your posts

              BB code is On
              Smilies are On
              [IMG] code is On
              HTML code is Off

              Forum Jump


              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:09 PM.